Report: Falcons WR Julio Jones unaware FS1 call was on live TV

36 minutes ago, nomak said:

Julio should man up, swallow his pride and show up for OTAs...and then appologize to Blank and Smith, then the team and says now let's go win the SB, and hit the field for practice. 

I don't know. I think at this point the best way for Julio to help the Falcons win is to hit the trail. Helps him, helps us. I don't want to suffer a miserable year of thinking he's pulling on the same end of the rope as the rest of us. I'm excited to see what happens at this point.

1 minute ago, Lowndesfalc said:

Like I’ve been saying, there absolutely no way Julio knew he was on air.  Despite him being disgruntled, it’s not Julio’s style to do something so grandiose in delivery.@THEHEADCOACH mentioned the topic wasn’t even discussed on today’s show.  That’s extremely sketchy especially after your show just broke one of the biggest stories of the NFL off-season.  I expect more to come out of this.  

38 minutes ago, Jesus said:

This is his way of walking it back. Pretty poor but it is what it is.

Julio brought this on with the ditching of the Falcons stuff on social media and the wearing of the Cowboys hoodie. It seems to me he got the attention he was crying out for and took the opportunity to delivery his point.

1 hour ago, JayOzOne said:

I like Shannon Sharpe. But if he did that, Julio needs to avoid all calls in the future. Personally, I think Julio was aware but it doesn't really matter. If he didn't preface his comment by saying "don't tell anybody, but..." then he knew he was dealing with somebody that was going to broadcast it to hasten his exit.

In other words, we now know who "sources" is in all of those "sources tell me Julio wants out of Atlanta". Really don't want Homie to burn his bridges on the way out of town.

I don't think he knew. After he said that and the broadcasters started saying "does he know he's on the air?" Julio started backtracking. He seemed to take a step back when he realized it was and said "you know me" and starting redirecting any questions and giving no answers.

1 hour ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Fox won't fire him because he broke the biggest recents sports news not involving Aaron Rodgers on live TV from the horses mouth 

That's money for them 

NFL can go after Fox like they did with ESPN in 2013. NFL owners and Falcons aren’t gonna sit and watch this crap on the sidelines.

8 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

NFL can go after Fox like they did with ESPN in 2013. NFL owners and Falcons aren’t gonna sit and watch this crap on the sidelines.

If it's becoming problematic for Fox, a bigger question is did they know the call was going to happen?

Did Sharpe come up with calling Julio himself on live tv?

11 minutes ago, CraigSmackDaddy said:

What does Julio have to be upset about?  That’s my question.  Did the Falcons ask him to take a pay cut?  That’s the only thing I can think of.  If wanting to win was # 1 he wouldn’t have pitched a fit about his contract 2 years into it.  

I guess when you start hanging around Terrell Owens magical things begin to happen...  I have thought for several seasons that the “brotherhood” was badly fractured. Apparently it started at the top. 

I believe Julio didn't know. It doesn't really change anything other than I think he's better than to come on TV and nonchalantly "break up"with this organization after ten years. I don't think he knew. I think Shannon Sharpe just ruined any relationship he would have with active players as far as getting any information from them. 

1 hour ago, THEHEADCOACH said:

I heard the story wasn't even discussed on undisputed today, which is real telling. They were the only sports station not talking about it.

Yeah from the way he was talking I don’t think Julio realized it. 

People saying “oh everyone knows Shannon is on at this time” - JJ is a celebrity and ball player who likely only pays attention to his schedule when it comes to workouts. The call caught him off guard IMO. 

1 hour ago, FalconBlood said:

Its his best PR move, to make this claim. I would like to believe him. I often have feelings, I wouldn’t make public. To be respectful and kind etc, I would put out a respectful and thankful message. But emotionally and off the cuff, in private, I may be less reserved in my thoughts and feelings.

The “My account was hacked” ploy? 😄

16 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

If it's becoming problematic for Fox, a bigger question is did they know the call was going to happen?

Did Sharpe come up with calling Julio himself on live tv?

I mean NFL players/sports stars have a tendency to do wild stuff and think they can get away with anything sometimes.

I don’t see why people are having such a hard time grasping that Shannon probably wanted to do this out of the blue to flex, and it went south reeeeaaaallll quick.

The producers probably thought it was awesome until Julio said he was done with Atlanta AND completely dragged Dallas (which is a huge media market… and judging from Twitter, Cowboys fans are pissed… maybe more than ATL fans)

This is too much of a mess to have been planned or well thought out.

The reason I questioned if Julio knew he was live yesterday was because right before he called, Shannon said to Skip that Julio wants to stay in Atlanta. It seemed as if Shannon even got a surprise when Julio said he’s outta there. 

Skip’s a massive cowboys fan and skip kept saying how Julio’s dream was to play for America’s team. It seemed the point of the call was to get skip to shutup about the cowboys. I don’t think anyone expected Julio to say he wanted out of ATL. 

seemed like Julio was just talking to unc man to man and Shannon put him on blast to the whole world. 

can’t believe fox would allow the call to go through if it wasn’t planned, but I guess they figured Shannon would have enough common sense to let him know he was on TV. 

Heck, even when I call a friend or family member, I ALWAYS let them know they’re on speaker before the convo starts. 

3 minutes ago, Jerz said:

Sharpe be on his high horse A LOT. He probably felt he could get away with it in a way. His hastiness in getting off the phone after Julio said what he said was kind of telling. 

Yup, exactly.

Shannon probably didn’t realize Julio didn’t realize they were on air or he didn’t think it would go sideways like that.

No NFL player, and especially not one as quiet as Julio, would want to state they are wanting out of their team, and then ****ting on another team in the process. That was awful.

10 minutes ago, Drunken Minotaur Zebra said:

Yup, exactly.

Shannon probably didn’t realize Julio didn’t realize they were on air or he didn’t think it would go sideways like that.

No NFL player, and especially not one as quiet as Julio, would want to state they are wanting out of their team, and then ****ting on another team in the process. That was awful.

Sharpe knew he was on air. Skip and him were talking on split screen when julio was on the call. The camera guy had perfect shot. 

4 minutes ago, TheFalcoholic said:

The reason I questioned if Julio knew he was live yesterday was because right before he called, Shannon said to Skip that Julio wants to stay in Atlanta. It seemed as if Shannon even got a surprise when Julio said he’s outta there. 

Skip’s a massive cowboys fan and skip kept saying how Julio’s dream was to play for America’s team. It seemed the point of the call was to get skip to shutup about the cowboys. I don’t think anyone expected Julio to say he wanted out of ATL. 

seemed like Julio was just talking to unc man to man and Shannon put him on blast to the whole world. 

can’t believe fox would allow the call to go through if it wasn’t planned, but I guess they figured Shannon would have enough common sense to let him know he was on TV. 

Heck, even when I call a friend or family member, I ALWAYS let them know they’re on speaker before the convo starts. 

Right.  The whole interview was weird, unhinged and uncomfortable.  

Host asking if Julio knew he was live.

Julio cursing on live air.

Julio outwardly bashing the Cowboys.

Sharpe hastily mentioning they were live at the end of the interview.

it was just messy.  

1 hour ago, nomak said:

Julio should man up, swallow his pride and show up for OTAs...and then appologize to Blank and Smith, then the team and says now let's go win the SB, and hit the field for practice. 

This team is years away from a super bowl. Why do you think he wants out

4 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

it was just messy.  

Yep. Shannon was flexing on Skip that he had Julio’s number and could just call him up and it went south. 

5 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

it was just messy.  

Yep. And Sharpe saying thanks for calling back Julio. 

1 hour ago, celtiksage said:

I don't think he knew. After he said that and the broadcasters started saying "does he know he's on the air?" Julio started backtracking. He seemed to take a step back when he realized it was and said "you know me" and starting redirecting any questions and giving no answers.

Maybe. But whether he was on the record or off, he made that that statement to an acquaintance who is a member of the media. I know they're close with each other but as I said, the information was the same whether it came from him directly or indirectly as an unnamed "source". It might have reverberated more hearing him say it but it doesn't matter in the end because it turned out to be true. And as such, I prefer the scab to be pulled off as opposed to finding out it was true sometime in June when we shipped him off to parts unknown.