What is your favorite hobby away from being a Falcons fan? (Not another Julio thread)

14 hours ago, OrthoPTSD said:

Was wanting to get my Dad started building an AR-15, any suggestions on say here you go 200$ worth and he continues with a guide? Mom passed away in January, he is needing some busy work (78 years old and has the gas in the tank)

Not sure if we can link shops here, but it's really easy to build an AR (if you have even a basic working knowledge of piecing together mechanical components... **** even none). 

I would recommend finding an upper receiver that's pre-built from Bear Creek Arsenal/Aero Precision/Palmetto State Armory (16" is considered a rifle, shorter is a "pistol" ... it's a complicated ATF thing), and then assembling a lower receiver from scratch. Get a "stripped" lower receiver from Aero Precision or Palmetto State Armory and then I like to get my internal parts (trigger, lower parts kit, stock, grip) from OpticsPlanet. 

Watch a couple youtube videos on building ARs to get an idea of what you're looking at and looking for FYI. 

DM me if you have any questions - I am working on my 5th AR build right now (7.62x39 Soviet - aka an AR-47 :D

On 5/25/2021 at 6:48 PM, DonOfThemBirds said:

I'm sure everyone here has something that they like to do to away from watching or talking about the Falcons, football, or sports in general.

Oddly enough I like to type. Just stories that may be based on my experiences in life or just made up off the top of my head. It's relaxing to me for some reason. Weird because I hated writing stories, speeches, and essays in school many many years back.

What's yours?

R09f0ed4884a9f14b781b4190add91958.jpg

9 hours ago, Diesel_Bird said:

Golfing. Fishing.  

Playing golf frustrates me because I can't play it well at all.

3 hours ago, Sui_Generis said:

I personally enjoy fishing and travelling with the family. 

Other than that I really enjoy cooking for family and just chilling. 

.....but fishing is very calming to me as well.

On 5/27/2021 at 4:18 PM, Draftnut57 said:

Wow,,  great to hear this and very glad for you,, nothing is better than that I rightly know first hand. This being my first love also,, Because this treasure will be for ever. God has given me the pleasure to lead hundreds to the Savior.  But my earthly hoppy  is Digging for History also as long as I'm able to get out and dig, climb ridges and mountains.  The Soldiers were all over Rockface Ga.. and on Rocky face Mtn... with a metal detector. I like digging Civil War artifacts .. Old coins .. and now I'm hoping to hunt for some Gold.. There is Gold in North ga.. if I can just get permission to look for it.. I've been digging for Coins and CW artifacts for over 48 years,, I've found a very rare CW button worth about $2000. And I found a CW token with the Regiment on it ,, It may be worth as much as $5000. But don't think you can just go out and find something like this ,, it's very rare.. and I've hunted for hours upon hours for the last 44 years.. I'm now 64 , but thankfully have really good health.. So I'm still a digger.. But I'd love to find just one piece of Gold.. The fun is not the value,, it's the hunt and to find what your looking for.. If I found a piece of Gold, I wouldn't sale it unless I found a lot more...then I would.. But would probably keep my first piece of Gold. If I ever find any.

My dad grew up in a neighborhood called Kenilworth Estates off Memorial Drive in Atlanta. He told me that there must have been some major action on the site that the neighborhood was built on during the Civil War because they would find bullets, buttons etc like it was finding a pop bottle cap when he was a kid. He said one of the kids in the neighborhood had his whole basement FULL of artifacts from the war that he found in the woods digging around in the neighborhood. 

10 minutes ago, NCFalconfan said:

My dad grew up in a neighborhood called Kenilworth Estates off Memorial Drive in Atlanta. He told me that there must have been some major action on the site that the neighborhood was built on during the Civil War because they would find bullets, buttons etc like it was finding a pop bottle cap when he was a kid. He said one of the kids in the neighborhood had his whole basement FULL of artifacts from the war that he found in the woods digging around in the neighborhood. 

Wow! I'd love to have been there.. But there are some live ammo , cannon balls, I've never dug one.. and to be honest I don't want to.. But I do love digging CW relics.. and I have a lot of mini balls 57 cal. I also have found a very very rare Whitworth bullet,, one dropped and one shot.. about the rarest Mini ball you can find. a dropped one is worth around $200  and a shot one is probably worth around $50. The Whitworth Rifle was made during the Civil War,, and was the gun that someone used to shot across the river and tried to shoot  A. Lincoln .. I do know that this war ended in a way to keep this nation , One Nation under God.. If we had been divided, WE might not would even be here. I have two metal detectors.. I would advise you to get a Fisher F75,, This machine is the best one you can get for the money.  I have another one that is a Garret ATMAX, ,it's good but the F75 is so so much faster once you get used to it. Plus it's like 300 cheaper also.. You can't beat a Fisher F75. I've been wanting to look for some Gold,, If you have a place above Atlanta.. there is gold in Cherokee County.. That is what I'm hoping to do this coming winter. I'd love to just pull one piece of Gold out of the ground or a creek.

On 5/28/2021 at 10:27 AM, A Pimp Named Slickback™ said:

Which is expensive these days. I have an emulation rig I want to update the GPU on, and it costs an arm and a leg just to get GPUs from 4-5 yrs ago.

What GPU are you looking for?