What is your favorite hobby away from being a Falcons fan? (Not another Julio thread)

1 hour ago, ATLFalcon36 said:

Im a game developer by trade (Smite, Paladins, Killing Floor 2, Maneater)

But also by hobby.

Ive been working on this to honor my late mother for fourteen years after my job. The two factions represent her or the cancer that took her away and a lot of the art is a metaphor for one or the other. Finally releasing from early access to full this summer.

Also rebuilding the falcons and braves in madden or the show when they stink.

So you’re obviously the coolest person here

9 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Walmart and GameStop are impossible. The PlayStation store is too with their queue system. I've managed to snag 3. 1 for me and 2 for some friends. I think it's going to be towards the end of the year before things get back normal. 

Copped a disc version for myself, and a digital for a buddy. Was no easy feat.

2 hours ago, B_Lo_Touchdowns said:

I'm trying to build a CPU that I just want to use for editing movies. I was told to get an AMD RX 570 8gb where do I find one that's not gonna cost me $500+ dollars? I'm thinking I should just buy a PC instead. 

You're not going to find one. Everything is overpriced at the moment and being bought up by people with bitcoin mining rigs

12 hours ago, Drunken Minotaur Zebra said:

It's just about impossible. Gotta set up alerts from twitter (I think the accounts are Wario64 and PlayStation In Stock Alerts)... wait till you get a notification it's available at Walmart, Best Buy, etc.. and login and hope you get one. 

I managed to get 2 in the past 3 months of checking constantly. Luckily only needed 2 for my wife and I :D

Ha.  I followed Wario64 and some other accounts that were posting stock alerts but, like an idiot, didn't even think to turn on notifications.  

9 hours ago, ATLFalcon36 said:

But also by hobby.

Ive been working on this to honor my late mother for fourteen years after my job. The two factions represent her or the cancer that took her away and a lot of the art is a metaphor for one or the other. Finally releasing from early access to full this summer.

Great to see this bro. Took you to a Falcon game back when you were probably 14 years old. On a random TATF ticket give away. Your mom trusted me. She checked in every 15 minutes on her baby by phone though. I was like “we’re good mom”. We won. True story. You remember?

Look at you now. Wish I’d known back then gaming was your passion. Was working with a gaming investor at the time that could have put you on in a big way. There are so many things in my life I wish I could redo. So proud of you bro. I’m sure she is. Keep climbing!

5 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Great to see this bro. Took you to a Falcon game back when you were probably 14 years old. On a random TATF ticket give away. Your mom trusted me. She checked in every 15 minutes on her baby by phone though. I was like “we’re good mom”. We won. True story. You remember?

Look at you now. Wish I’d known back then gaming was your passion. Was working with a gaming investor at the time that could have put you on in a big way. There are so many things in my life I wish I could redo. So proud of you bro. I’m sure she is. Keep climbing!

Yes i remember. It was a great time. Thanks so much man.

On 5/25/2021 at 3:48 PM, DonOfThemBirds said:

I'm sure everyone here has something that they like to do to away from watching or talking about the Falcons, football, or sports in general.

Oddly enough I like to type. Just stories that may be based on my experiences in life or just made up off the top of my head. It's relaxing to me for some reason. Weird because I hated writing stories, speeches, and essays in school many many years back.

What's yours?

I actually started a horror novel about 2 yrs ago I never finished. It can be fun but what I learned is it's not as freeform as you think, there's a ton of structure involved, and changing 1 thing has a ripple effect where you end up having to change a lot of things.

I actually like hockey > football

I have this big problem where I can't stick with stuff, I have no patience from sucking at something to being good at it. I've dabbled with writing, drawing, guitar...I just end up getting frustrated and then go back to nerding out on video games. Other than that I do quite a bit of reading, which I was better at implementing some of the things I've learned. But I guess to some extent that's all of us 🤪

14 hours ago, ATLFalcon36 said:

But also by hobby.

Awesome! I've tried Smite and Paladins, but I suck at online gaming. I'm 44, no way I am going to beat some 13 yr old who gets to do that like 200 hrs/week lol. I also thought about buying Maneater for my brother in law, but he's been more into the RTS stuff the last couple of years.

I actually was looking into becoming an environmental artist, I've always liked some of the 3D environments and been amazed at how good they look. Best example I can think of is Castlevania: Lords of Shadow for PS3...man, some of those ruins and landscapes must have taken forever. I still have Blender on my PC, but figured that's a job 9 million people want and there's like 4 of them, and I would most likely have to go back to school. Always seemed kind of like an unstable industry too. That's really cool you get to do something creative for a living.

41 minutes ago, Pacific_Falcon said:

I actually started a horror novel about 2 yrs ago I never finished. It can be fun but what I learned is it's not as freeform as you think, there's a ton of structure involved, and changing 1 thing has a ripple effect where you end up having to change a lot of things.

I actually like hockey > football

I have this big problem where I can't stick with stuff, I have no patience from sucking at something to being good at it. I've dabbled with writing, drawing, guitar...I just end up getting frustrated and then go back to nerding out on video games. Other than that I do quite a bit of reading, which I was better at implementing some of the things I've learned. But I guess to some extent that's all of us 🤪

I always do a structure outline before typing my stories.

If I wonder off a little bit, it helps me still stick to the main story points which prevents me from having to change up a lot of things.

Try it and see if it helps for you.

17 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

I always do a structure outline before typing my stories.

If I wonder off a little bit, it helps me still stick to the main story points which prevents me from having to change up a lot of things.

Try it and see if it helps for you.

Yeah! I read a book called Story Engineering which is where I learned a lot of the structure, he refers to what he calls milestones and setting those up is really important because they represent major shifts or points of import, so if you start whipping stuff out without having those in place, you're just going to be rehashing a lot of stuff. The author has what he calls a 'beat sheet' which is basically exactly what you're saying about the outline. typically you have 50-60 'scenes', and the milestones should happen at roughly very certain points (e.g., first plot point ~25% of the way through). The trouble I ran into is once I had the milestones in place, there were quite a few gaps that I had trouble filling in, and I didn't want to just stick some low-context filler garbo in there lol.

9 minutes ago, Pacific_Falcon said:

Yeah! I read a book called Story Engineering which is where I learned a lot of the structure, he refers to what he calls milestones and setting those up is really important because they represent major shifts or points of import, so if you start whipping stuff out without having those in place, you're just going to be rehashing a lot of stuff. The author has what he calls a 'beat sheet' which is basically exactly what you're saying about the outline. typically you have 50-60 'scenes', and the milestones should happen at roughly very certain points (e.g., first plot point ~25% of the way through). The trouble I ran into is once I had the milestones in place, there were quite a few gaps that I had trouble filling in, and I didn't want to just stick some low-context filler garbo in there lol.

In my stories I use a decent bit of foreshadowing. It helps me set up plots in my story a lot easier and help tie things together with perspective. It could be something minor or major.

1 hour ago, Pacific_Falcon said:

Awesome! I've tried Smite and Paladins, but I suck at online gaming. I'm 44, no way I am going to beat some 13 yr old who gets to do that like 200 hrs/week lol. I also thought about buying Maneater for my brother in law, but he's been more into the RTS stuff the last couple of years.

I actually was looking into becoming an environmental artist, I've always liked some of the 3D environments and been amazed at how good they look. Best example I can think of is Castlevania: Lords of Shadow for PS3...man, some of those ruins and landscapes must have taken forever. I still have Blender on my PC, but figured that's a job 9 million people want and there's like 4 of them, and I would most likely have to go back to school. Always seemed kind of like an unstable industry too. That's really cool you get to do something creative for a living.

I feel the same way (about 13 year olds getting 200 hours/week).

I was an environment artist for 7 years before transitioning into technical art (kinda similar but more focused on shaders [like maneater's ocean was my doing] and getting smooth FPS on every platform). It is a competitive role but there's so many specialties now I think you can develop a "vertical" with self-teaching, tutorials, etc. pretty quickly since the field is entirely portfolio-based. If you can show awesome work, it doesn't really matter if you went to school for it or not. It is a finicky industry but as long as you keep your skills up to date, with remote work becoming more common, it's become much easier to find work.

GA only has two studios but when covid hit I lucked into ILM/LucasFilm wanting me and made the shift and remote FT work is amazing, I never want to go back to an office again the rest of my life. It's never too late to learn game dev, the tools, resources and tutorials are infinite at this point. I'd be happy to point you in the right direction.

I feel the same way (about 13 year olds getting 200 hours/week).

I was an environment artist for 7 years before transitioning into technical art (kinda similar but more focused on shaders [like maneater's ocean was my doing] and getting smooth FPS on every platform). It is a competitive role but there's so many specialties now I think you can develop a "vertical" with self-teaching, tutorials, etc. pretty quickly since the field is entirely portfolio-based. If you can show awesome work, it doesn't really matter if you went to school for it or not. It is a finicky industry but as long as you keep your skills up to date, with remote work becoming more common, it's become much easier to find work.

GA only has two studios but when covid hit I lucked into ILM/LucasFilm wanting me and made the shift and remote FT work is amazing, I never want to go back to an office again the rest of my life. It's never too late to learn game dev, the tools, resources and tutorials are infinite at this point. I'd be happy to point you in the right direction.

Yeah it's crazy the way you use a separate program for everything - one program for modeling, another for texturing, another for rendering, etc. I was like I can't afford 7 different programs to self-teach this stuff lol. If you're trying to specialize though, how can you even do a portfolio? You would have to do a model, then texture, shade, sculpt etc yourself just to show something. Seems like it would take forever to 'git good'. That's really cool about doing the ocean part, that seems like it would be pretty hard having to factor in depth, sun's reflection, etc.

3 minutes ago, Pacific_Falcon said:

Yeah it's crazy the way you use a separate program for everything - one program for modeling, another for texturing, another for rendering, etc. I was like I can't afford 7 different programs to self-teach this stuff lol. If you're trying to specialize though, how can you even do a portfolio? You would have to do a model, then texture, shade, sculpt etc yourself just to show something. Seems like it would take forever to 'git good'. That's really cool about doing the ocean part, that seems like it would be pretty hard having to factor in depth, sun's reflection, etc.

A lot of them have free/very cheap hobbyist/learning versions or monthly subs nowdays.

Pretty much use 3ds max or zbrush for modeling, substance painter (amazing program) for texturing/baking, some photoshop for post-editing of textures from substance. I'd say it's way easier to make a quality asset today than it was when I learned 13 years ago.

A lot of them have free/very cheap hobbyist/learning versions or monthly subs nowdays.

Pretty much use 3ds max or zbrush for modeling, substance painter (amazing program) for texturing/baking, some photoshop for post-editing of textures from substance. I'd say it's way easier to make a quality asset today than it was when I learned 13 years ago.

Ah what I heard was maya was the standard for the modeling part, and i took one look at the price and was like blender it is lol

58 minutes ago, Pacific_Falcon said:

Ah what I heard was maya was the standard for the modeling part, and i took one look at the price and was like blender it is lol

It varies greatly from studio-to-studio, most of them use Maya for animation but a lot of environment artists use 3ds max because its a little more structured for modeling hard surface, architecture, etc. Maya is a little more open but it's becoming more common to just "use whatever you know best".

10 hours ago, Pacific_Falcon said:

That's a good book but it's also pretty convoluted. He tells you how easy it is then gives you that really complicated diagram to fill out. It's a great book to start learning the structure of basic story telling and also a great way to ruin movies for people who had no idea about storytelling structure. Like here comes the first plot point. Look we're in Act 2 at 28 minutes. 

The best way to fill in the gaps and then later take all that out. Economize your writing. If there is nothing in between then it doesn't need to be there. The shortest distance between two scenes is still a straight line.

Nice story,,  My goal in life as an evangelist is to write a book on the security of the Believer ,, Mainly just hand picked verses in the Bible on Eternal Security ... Once you pray and receive Christ as Savior.. You receive the Gift of Eternal life. God said that in his word.. Not my words but his. And BTW the greatest words He ever said was,  Call and I will answer.. He also said, "Come unto me all ye that are weary and  heavy laiddon , and I will give you rest. And He does.. Saved by Faith alone.. is the most wonderful gift ever given to man kind.  But sadly the most rejected gift ever offered. As I have said on this board many many times.. You can private message me if you have any Questions about knowing Christ as Savior..  Thank you, I live to tell the story of BC and AD,, All of time centers around Jesus Christ. BC meaning Before Christ was born,, and AD means from the birth of Jesus Christ till this day.  In other words it's been 2021 years since Jesus was born..  came to earth to die for our sin.. So we could be saved by faith alone. Believe and call and ask ,,, and ye shall receive Eternal life for the asking. PM me if you need to. I truly live to help show people the way,, His name is Jesus Christ , the Son of God. Your not ready to live until your ready to die. Ye have not because ye ask not. I'm praying for you that don't know the way.. Jesus said, "I am the Way , the Truth, and The life, No man cometh unto the Father , but by me."  If you don't believe me,, Believe what God said in His Word.. Pray and you will see that God will hear you. Those who don't pray, do not believe. Those who pray,, are believing that God will hear. And Thank God,  He does.. Amen

On 6/1/2021 at 7:49 PM, B_Lo_Touchdowns said:

I'm trying to build a CPU that I just want to use for editing movies. I was told to get an AMD RX 570 8gb where do I find one that's not gonna cost me $500+ dollars? I'm thinking I should just buy a PC instead. 

Try Microcenter. I bought RX 5700XT  last July for 400 bucks. I did grab RTX 3090 in December. The prices have doubled in past few months. It’s insane.