Julio Jones trade news: Relationship with Falcons has been rocky for years; owner Arthur Blank ‘most upset’ by comments - The Athletic

7 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

True. Quentin Nelson for Julio seems like a fair trade. 👀😂

Seems fair!

It does bring up a good question though of what exactly is good value for Julio.

On one hand he is one of the most physically dominating receivers to ever play the game... There are guys who are fast, there are guys that are big who can block, there are great runners, there are guys with great hands, there are home run threats.

But no one really combines all of those things into one package like he does.

He instantly makes any offense better just by stepping on the field because defenses have to account for him on every single play.

On the flip side of that is 32 years old,  coming off of an injury plagued season and he has a lot of nicks and games that creep up every season...He may not miss games but he is  seemingly always dealing with something. 

Of course he may be dealing with something all week and then you look up and he has 150 yards and multiple big plays.

So what is fair value for him? It is tough to take the Falcons color glasses off and evaluate because he has meant so much to this franchise for the past decade.

Just now, falconsd56 said:

Seems fair!

It does bring up a good question though of what exactly is good value for Julio.

On one hand he is one of the most physically dominating receivers to ever play the game... There are guys who are fast, there are guys that are big who can block, there are great runners, there are guys with great hands, there are home run threats.

But no one really combines all of those things into one package like he does.

He instantly makes any offense better just by stepping on the field because defenses have to account for him on every single play.

On the flip side of that is 32 years old,  coming off of an injury plagued season and he has a lot of nicks and games that creep up every season...He may not miss games but he is  seemingly always dealing with something. 

Of course he may be dealing with something all week and then you look up and he has 150 yards and multiple big plays.

So what is fair value for him? It is tough to take the Falcons color glasses off and evaluate because he has meant so much to this franchise for the past decade.

This is a great point.  Value is hard to gauge.  I dare say it's impossible to really quantify.  Historically, his value would be far larger to us than another team due to the flip side you pointed out.

To me, the Falcons will need to bite the bullet, and take what they can get.  My guess is a second with a secondary pick, like a fourth, makes it happen.  Then we deal with whatever fallout occurs.  At that point, we set up our path to the future post JJ.

I can’t believe Julio really tryna leave after we bent over backwards to meet his financial demands on different occasions 

In 2015 Julio not only got the security of a 5 year deal but also didn’t have to worry about the usual ramification of that (market passing you over) because he made us re-do it in 2017. Then we added more guarantees in 2019. Rough

4 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

This is a great point.  Value is hard to gauge.  I dare say it's impossible to really quantify.  Historically, his value would be far larger to us than another team due to the flip side you pointed out.

To me, the Falcons will need to bite the bullet, and take what they can get.  My guess is a second with a secondary pick, like a fourth, makes it happen.  Then we deal with whatever fallout occurs.  At that point, we set up our path to the future post JJ.

This is where I hope TF and AS are as smart as everybody thinks they are.

They don't have to trade Julio.

There is zero reason to trade him for like a third and fourth round pick.

I think they were smart to set the bar high at a first round pick.... And hopefully they don't come off of that.

Depending on how much you want to believe different reports, the relationship is still salvageable.... So why not keep that first round asking price well that situation is worked on.

But again if Julio sits out he loses money, if he retires he loses money and we still have his rights.

So I'm going to keep beating the drama of he is a falcon until we say that he is not.... He has zero leverage in this situation.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, ROMERO said:

You want to know why Ryan gets all the hate? because he was the one to replace Vick in this city. The city want the next Vick so bad. Ryan has done so much for the franchise. Got us far from the whole Vick going to prison and Petrino abandoning the Falcons in the middle of the night drama. He will never get the full respect that he deserves because he is not mobile enough for their liking.

I thought Joey Harrington replaced Vick 🙃
Mike Vick was the sole reason I became a fan of this franchise but I'd be lying if  I said otherwise - Mike Vick f'ed us up, big time. Vick replaced Vick . Yes, he said he was sorry, yes he is a changed man and I can respect him again as a player and I guess as a man but Im Matt Ryan all the way any day of the week!

Edited by wilco

Just now, Dirtybird56 said:

I can’t believe Julio really tryna leave after we bent over backwards to meet his financial demands on different occasions 

In 2015 Julio not only got the security of a 5 year deal but also didn’t have to worry about the usual ramification of that (market passing you over) because he made us re-do it in 2017. Then we added more guarantees in 2019. Rough

Agreed.  I'm not buying the "difficult relations," narrative being tossed around.  We kowtowed to JJ multiple times.  

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, wilco said:

I thought Joey Harrington replaced Vick 🙃
Mike Vick was the sole reason I became a fan of this franchise but I'd be lying if  I said otherwise - Mike Vick f'ed us up, big time. Vick replaced Vick . Yes, he said he was sorry, yes he is a changed man and I can respect him again as a player and I guess as a man but Im Matt Ryan all the way any day of the week!

Well Joey was on the roster already when Vick got sent to prison. I started watching the Falcons after the year Vick was drafted. So yeah he made me a fan too but Ryan has been my favorite Falcons QB and he has my support. Yeah but I was talking how there are fans that holding on the string that Vick somehow becomes the Falcons starting QB again or they want the next mobile QB and kick Ryan out the door like he never done anything for the franchise. 

Edited by ROMERO

That’s what happens when you bend over backwards to meet the demands of a diva-WR.

Julio showed his true colours when he signed a market setting front loaded contract, took the front loaded bonus monies and then ******* about the deal a couple of years later (after catching just 3 TD passes). He threatened to hold out when we we were considered a genuine contender to win a home SB.

If he wanted to win so badly, he would have been a man of his word and honoured the contract he signed, rather than demand more money which could and should have been used to improve the rest of the team.

He’s overrated and overpaid. Trade him to the Jets or Bengals and be done with it.

2 hours ago, JDaveG said:

That doesn't mean we get top value, or even a 1st, but it's possible we still get good value for him in a trade if those reports are accurate.

I fully expect the Falcons to get the equivalent of a first round pick in value, probably a bit more.

Talking heads are focusing too much on the negatives. There's only one positive that matters here. It's Julio Jones, one of the two most physically gifted WRs ever to play the game.

I’m still holding out hope the new regime can convince him things have changed. We knew after 2017 we had to make some serious changes and we didn’t. I can see Julio being irked by that. 

His whole contract deal is odd though. The holdout was strange. I’m wondering if the money and fame went to his head 

Hopefully something works out to mend the fences, but I put that at like a 10% chance at best right now 

2 minutes ago, jidady said:

I fully expect the Falcons to get the equivalent of a first round pick in value, probably a bit more.

Talking heads are focusing too much on the negatives. There's only one positive that matters here. It's Julio Jones, one of the two most physically gifted WRs ever to play the game.

Agree, a 1st round pick or a player who is similarly valued is what we should hold the line for.  If the only offer is for a 2nd rounder, then I don't see much difference in keeping him on the roster until he walks as a free agent and we get a 3rd round comp pick when he leaves.  If he wants to hold out, that's money out of his pocket.  If he wants to "retire", we keep his rights until he un-retires

23 minutes ago, shc said:

The part I am trying to figure out is why now?  Why not give the new regime a chance?  Why suffer through DK part two only to leave right after. If he’d have done this going into last year, I’d totally understand. But the new system is one that he previously did very well in. 

Man, totally agree.  The timing is off.  The story feels wrong.

25 minutes ago, shc said:

The part I am trying to figure out is why now?  Why not give the new regime a chance?  Why suffer through DK part two only to leave right after. If he’d have done this going into last year, I’d totally understand. But the new system is one that he previously did very well in. 

1 minute ago, Herr Doktor said:

Man, totally agree.  The timing is off.  The story feels wrong.

He missed all those games last year.  Maybe he was already fed up after the 0-5 start and Quinn getting fired.  From that point on he already made up his mind that he was done here, and then when the new front office was hired in he made his trade request.  He didn't bother trying to see how he might fit in the new scheme, he just wanted a new start.

I would be fine with that.  It could have been an exit like Matthew Stafford's request to be traded from Detroit.  I think with the salary cap implications, Julio's age and him being a face or even the face of the franchise for his career here, Blank and Fontenot would have worked with him on a good departure.  But he's gotten terrible guidance from people around him who are feeding him full of irrational thoughts.  It's a sad way to end his time here

18 minutes ago, falconsFTW said:

He missed all those games last year.  Maybe he was already fed up after the 0-5 start and Quinn getting fired.  From that point on he already made up his mind that he was done here, and then when the new front office was hired in he made his trade request.  He didn't bother trying to see how he might fit in the new scheme, he just wanted a new start.

I would be fine with that.  It could have been an exit like Matthew Stafford's request to be traded from Detroit.  I think with the salary cap implications, Julio's age and him being a face or even the face of the franchise for his career here, Blank and Fontenot would have worked with him on a good departure.  But he's gotten terrible guidance from people around him who are feeding him full of irrational thoughts.  It's a sad way to end his time here

I think you nailed it.  Makes sense to me.  But then again, I have perfected day drinking at this point....🤣

1 hour ago, falconsFTW said:

Maybe. I do wonder, and wondered last year as well, if his “injuries” was him checking out on the old regime. But a new regime is the closest thing to a fresh start outside of going to another team. Which again, I totally get if this happens last year. 

5 hours ago, ROMERO said:

Well Joey was on the roster already when Vick got sent to prison. I started watching the Falcons after the year Vick was drafted. So yeah he made me a fan too but Ryan has been my favorite Falcons QB and he has my support. Yeah but I was talking how there are fans that holding on the string that Vick somehow becomes the Falcons starting QB again or they want the next mobile QB and kick Ryan out the door like he never done anything for the franchise. 

Vick nuthuggers that hate on Ryan for simply not being Vick are the worst.

Absolutely no analytical football knowledge or critique to be had... just pure emotional "waaaahhh I wanna see a QB run fast!" BS. 

I wonder how happy they'd be being a bottom feeding team like the Jags as long as they had a "dynamic" QB? Lol. 

2 hours ago, falconsFTW said:

This pretty much sums it up, IMO.

JJ jumped the shark in doubting the new regime, let his buddies get in his head, and then blew up his own house by letting his business slip. 

Just bad juju all around. It's especially shocking because of how composed he has always been. Sad. 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Dirtybird56 said:

I think we should make him fulfill his contract.  Then he will be 33 or 34. Looks like he was just playing us for the benjamins... we paid him and took the express elevator to the NFC south basement.  Does he make a lot of TD's?... he makes stats... but he does not put up a lot of points.  He is a fantasy footballer.

Edited by Realsurfin
mostly always spelling... fat fingers small phone.

On 5/25/2021 at 5:53 PM, hjerry said:

If true (and that's a big if), the thing which concerns me most there is Blank getting involved and assuring Jones he would get a new contract.

It's not all on him, as the FO should never let it get to that point, so plenty of blame to go around, but I don't want the owner being involved any contract negotiations. If the guys you hired to do that job can't do it without you, then you should fire them and get new guys.

I agree. I really hope that's not the case moving forward with Fontenot and Smith. Blank needs to just sit back and let the football people do their job.

1 hour ago, Realsurfin said:

I think we should make him fulfill his contract.  Then he will be 33 or 34. Looks like he was just playing us for the benjamins... we paid him and took the express elevator to the NFC south basement.  Does he make a lot of TD's?... he makes stats... but he does not put up a lot of points.  He is a fantasy footballer.

Maybe he has been listening to people that think we are rebuilding. It may be my homer goggles, but I feel like this team is capable of making the playoffs, so I’m not sure where he would go that’s a lock for the super bowl.