Jump to content

Jake Mathews Interview: Practices are profesional and strictness of what is expected compared to past.


Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, Williamb said:

Untouchable in my mind are those who are allowed to practice with the team 1day/wk, allowed to skip camp, who don't feel the need to attend ota's, and who come off the field during critical situations. These players are untouchable simply because of their contract. There are guys out there doing the grind in 100 degree heat while an untouchable is on the sidelines riding a stationary bike at practice. Repitition promotes fluidity during the game. And some guys consider themselves above that while others make excuses for them. If you're paid 15-20 mil per year, you need to have your @** on the field learning the program. And you should not be absent of being chastised when you screw up. It's truly amazing how many deep balls ryan connected on with other recievers only to miss the boat with one who will remain nameless. Could that be from lack of timing d/t limited practice? Players making millions need their feet held to the fire. 

AMEN!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, ltstorm2 said:

I don't know why everyone here is ****ting on Quinn.  He took us to a Superbowl and the very next year was the only team from the NFC to be in the playoffs and was one Julio (ball went through his hands) catch from being in the NFC Championship game.  I think he tried to do to much to find that magic he had but lets not act like we didn't have any good teams/years under Quinn.  AS hasn't done a single thing yet with the Falcons to make me think he's the right man for the job of head coach.

Quinn had the championship in his hands and he gave away the game in the most catastrophic collapse in SB history.

Then, he presided over a long descent over the next 3-4 seasons.  He seemed to get worse with time.  He may have been a good guy, but he was a lousy HC.

AS may turn out poorly as well, but at least we are not facing yet another season “embracing the suck”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, etherdome said:

AS may turn out poorly as well, but at least we are not facing yet another season “embracing the suck”

This is why Quinn and TD and anyone associated with that SB should've been gone much sooner. That narrative that has always played out by the networks every time we play a game has no connection to this team and this new regime.

Yes, there are a few guys still here, but it'll be hard for the DA pundits to make that relevant anymore. It'd be like talking about Norwood missing the game winning FG for Buffalo decades ago as if it's relevant today.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bottom line.... I can and will be friendly, supportive, respectful, and a mentor at the job. But, I will never be your friend at work. If the job is paying me and holding me accountable for the production of my group of employees, then that group will unanimously give me 100% effort. That's because they will get 100% from me. Otherwise, regardless of your pay grade, you will get an earful or a seat on the sideline, or quite possibly a pink slip.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, dirtybirds233 said:

DQ wanted to be 'the cool mom' and be friends with the players before being their coach

DQ was Jim Mora 2.0.

Arthur Smith is much more like Mike Smith. But a sharper football mind and more up on the trends of the modern game.

Funny how the pendulum swings back and forth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

There is nothing wrong with that as long as you're winning which he was until 2018. If a strict coach starts losing they will lose the lockeroom just as quick if not quicker.

I’m not seeing AS as strict simply for the point of being strict. It’s not a Parcells or a Tom Coughlin thing. Dare I say it’s more like Belichek. Stoic, straight shooting, and clear about what’s expected. I don’t think AS is necessarily gonna ream guys out repeatedly. He’ll just find a way to replace you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I don’t think you understand what the NFL really is.

On every team there are maybe 5-7 players that are secure. Of that maybe 2-3 are “untouchable.”

The organization will tolerate things from that minority because they produce on the field.

Everyone else? If they don’t know exactly what they’re supposed to be doing on every play, not going full speed, or not giving 100% they won’t be on the team and out of the league because there are thousands of guys that can replace them at the drop of a hat.

NO ONE should be untouchable. Bill Belichek benched Bernie Kosar in Cleveland and they ran him out of town for it. What do you think they wouldn’t give to have him back now? Belichek also started a 6th rounder over other seemingly better options In NE and the rest Is history.

Everything I’ve heard from Smith and Fonteneau is that EVERYONE is evaluated. That means Matt, Julio... whoever.

I fully expect that if Matt has a string of bad games and we skid like last year we could see Franks or whoever as a trial. Accountability is the key here. And our owner, who had just as much to do with our cap situation as our ex-GM, should keep our of it.

Arthur Blank was blessed that he knew little about soccer. As a result, he hired people that did, and won a championship almost immediately. He needs to be a “know nothing” about football as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, thanat0s said:

This is why Quinn and TD and anyone associated with that SB should've been gone much sooner. That narrative that has always played out by the networks every time we play a game has no connection to this team and this new regime.

Yes, there are a few guys still here, but it'll be hard for the DA pundits to make that relevant anymore. It'd be like talking about Norwood missing the game winning FG for Buffalo decades ago as if it's relevant today.

 

Matt Ryan is associated with that Superbowl....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, falcons007 said:

Baby sit? Locker room follows the HC culture.   I saw many singing praises for DQ on his approach of letting players do what they want. Argument was MS was too rigid.

We went from too rigid to too loose with the transition from MS to DQ.  MS was the right coach at the right time to steady the ship after the Vick nonsense.  He did a great job of taking a team that could have easily gone up in flames amidst the chaos and instead turned us into a perennial winner for the first time in team history.  Steady and conservative was great at that time but wore thin as more flexibility and aggressiveness was needed to get us over the hump.  In steps Quinn, the polar opposite of MS, and it kick starts things all the way to the Super Bowl.  Problem with totally loose, allowing players to police themselves is that it works great when things are going well, as they did the first few years under Quinn but when things go sideways as they did after 2016, you need a leader who can maintain control and drive the team forward.  Quinn did no such thing.  He expected the players to take control rather than allowing some autonomy but also making sure he was the unquestioned leader that everyone would follow.  I think that is why the team felt like such a rudderless ship the last couple seasons. 

So now we need someone who can both be the steadying presence that MS was without the rigidity and conservatism but also brings the toughness and brotherhood that DQ preached (but could never quite get out of the team after 2016) without allowing the inmates to run the asylum.  AS strikes me as someone who knows how to manage the reins .. to pull them back to get control when needed but also knows when to loosen up and let the horses do the work they were meant to do.  Here is to hoping I'm right and he is the right balance between the two approaches.  If so, I think we're going to be very happy with him as our coach.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Williamb said:

Bottom line.... I can and will be friendly, supportive, respectful, and a mentor at the job. But, I will never be your friend at work. If the job is paying me and holding me accountable for the production of my group of employees, then that group will unanimously give me 100% effort. That's because they will get 100% from me. Otherwise, regardless of your pay grade, you will get an earful or a seat on the sideline, or quite possibly a pink slip.

Boom

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Pa_Falcon_Fan said:

We went from too rigid to too loose with the transition from MS to DQ.  MS was the right coach at the right time to steady the ship after the Vick nonsense.  He did a great job of taking a team that could have easily gone up in flames amidst the chaos and instead turned us into a perennial winner for the first time in team history.  Steady and conservative was great at that time but wore thin as more flexibility and aggressiveness was needed to get us over the hump.  In steps Quinn, the polar opposite of MS, and it kick starts things all the way to the Super Bowl.  Problem with totally loose, allowing players to police themselves is that it works great when things are going well, as they did the first few years under Quinn but when things go sideways as they did after 2016, you need a leader who can maintain control and drive the team forward.  Quinn did no such thing.  He expected the players to take control rather than allowing some autonomy but also making sure he was the unquestioned leader that everyone would follow.  I think that is why the team felt like such a rudderless ship the last couple seasons. 

So now we need someone who can both be the steadying presence that MS was without the rigidity and conservatism but also brings the toughness and brotherhood that DQ preached (but could never quite get out of the team after 2016) without allowing the inmates to run the asylum.  AS strikes me as someone who knows how to manage the reins .. to pull them back to get control when needed but also knows when to loosen up and let the horses do the work they were meant to do.  Here is to hoping I'm right and he is the right balance between the two approaches.  If so, I think we're going to be very happy with him as our coach.

DQ went to SB riding KS, and prime of Matt Ryan and Julio Jones. Smitty had better locker room brotherhood, he just didnt put out the slogans. I like AS because he is rigid like Smitty but hopefully more creative play caller like KS. BB is rigid too, he doesn't play around with how things are done in that building. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, falcons007 said:

He actually wrote about this in his book. Two major reasons for losing in last 2 years. 
 
1. TD and him not working closely enough. He said TD thought what MS wanted and vice versa. 
2. This he says biggest reason for failure was not fighting back enough. He talked about Leaks in final year just before GB game. Smitty thought winning would solve. Then during the pregame against Saints. An hour before game some one leaked Smitty will be fired. They won the game and couple of hours before panthers game it was leaked Falcons hired a search firm. 
MS should have called meeting with owner and other Falcons management much earlier and demanded leaks stop or get to bottom of it.

 

Yeah, Smitty talked about goals changing from week to week with we are 10 yards short of SB.

Yeah, I enjoyed his book. It was very interesting, eye opening ,motivating, and even Inspiring. He seemed very honest about it all. He felt he could have turned it all around if he had gotten the chance and honestly I felt that way after reading that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, since68andcounting said:

NO ONE should be untouchable. Bill Belichek benched Bernie Kosar in Cleveland and they ran him out of town for it. What do you think they wouldn’t give to have him back now? Belichek also started a 6th rounder over other seemingly better options In NE and the rest Is history.

Everything I’ve heard from Smith and Fonteneau is that EVERYONE is evaluated. That means Matt, Julio... whoever.

I fully expect that if Matt has a string of bad games and we skid like last year we could see Franks or whoever as a trial. Accountability is the key here. And our owner, who had just as much to do with our cap situation as our ex-GM, should keep our of it.

Arthur Blank was blessed that he knew little about soccer. As a result, he hired people that did, and won a championship almost immediately. He needs to be a “know nothing” about football as well.

Untouchable primarily means they can't get rid of the player because of contractual reason.

Currently with the Falcons Matt Ryan is untouchable because of his cap hit. That's just a fact of life in the NFL with the salary cap but it's a year to year thing.

Unfortunately in life things aren't fair. In any company, not just the NFL, the high performers and top earners are going to be treated differently.

Companies are going to be more forgiving to the people that bring in more money vs someone they can replace immediately. In this respect the NFL is no different.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Snafu said:

I remember way more people bashing Mike Smith for going soft after his heart scare than I ever remember anyone bashing him for being hard nosed.

 

 Edit: the only time I remember people bashing Smith for being too rigid was when he chewed out Asante Samuel for being penalized after celebrating an interception. People loved him for going after the refs and especially DHall

if nuk if you buck was a person lmao 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, THEHEADCOACH said:

Yeah, I enjoyed his book. It was very interesting, eye opening ,motivating, and even Inspiring. He seemed very honest about it all. He felt he could have turned it all around if he had gotten the chance and honestly I felt that way after reading that. 

Yep. TD threw MS under the bus to save his job with crappy players from 2013-2014.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, BLM said:

Strict doesn't necessarily mean good.  Weren't Petrino and Saben strict?  Brady left NE because Belichick was strict.

After 20 years.

Also, Titan players speek highly of AS, calls him a savage play caller. I'm optomistic, plus if grown men making millions can't take a little criticisim and a hard nose approach then they don't need to be here.

There is a reason the same teams have deep playoff runs year in and year out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, slick0ne said:

After 20 years.

Also, Titan players speek highly of AS, calls him a savage play caller. I'm optomistic, plus if grown men making millions can't take a little criticisim and a hard nose approach then they don't need to be here.

There is a reason the same teams have deep playoff runs year in and year out.

Yeah apparently pete carrol his more stern than he lets on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Vandy said:

Magic? Quinn barely had a .500 record here with two HOF players mostly healthy and in their prime all during his time as falcons HC. 

Outside of 2016 the team fell short of expectations every single season. Outside of 2017 every single season featured some type of monumental collapse. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Williamb said:

Bottom line.... I can and will be friendly, supportive, respectful, and a mentor at the job. But, I will never be your friend at work. If the job is paying me and holding me accountable for the production of my group of employees, then that group will unanimously give me 100% effort. That's because they will get 100% from me. Otherwise, regardless of your pay grade, you will get an earful or a seat on the sideline, or quite possibly a pink slip.

I have a slightly different take. I've been at my current place of employment for 26 years,  all of which have included me having direct reports. 

Achieving objectives for success have never been affected by whether I was "friends at work" with direct reports- my ability to hire competent people was. The ones who were good at their job? It didn't matter how friendly we were toward each other - the organization was successful. The times when I made mistakes and hired the wrong person? Didn't matter how "tough" I was or how "focused on the job" we all were- the organization failed to reach its potential. 

Different personalities handle office philosophies differently - I've never been persuaded that there's one way to handle employees that fits all situations. But I have become convinced that talent identification is one of the single greatest skills a boss needs to be successful. "Drill sergeants" that stink at hiring the right people don't overcome that flaw by "demanding accountability" from mediocre employees.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

I have a slightly different take. I've been at my current place of employment for 26 years,  all of which have included me having direct reports. 

Achieving objectives for success have never been affected by whether I was "friends at work" with direct reports- my ability to hire competent people was. The ones who were good at their job? It didn't matter how friendly we were toward each other - the organization was successful. The times when I made mistakes and hired the wrong person? Didn't matter how "tough" I was or how "focused on the job" we all were- the organization failed to reach its potential. 

Different personalities handle office philosophies differently - I've never been persuaded that there's one way to handle employees that fits all situations. But I have become convinced that talent identification is one of the single greatest skills a boss needs to be successful. "Drill sergeants" that stink at hiring the right people don't overcome that flaw by "demanding accountability" from mediocre employees.

Very well said. A players bring/hire A players.  I always was careful in hiring right Managers, who would bring more people. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...