Coach Smith’s comments

4 minutes ago, FinalScore2.0 said:

Shannon and Skip really set Julio up on this one. If not for that call this would not be a discussion. I hope Shannon apologized.

If indeed they set Julio up (I believe that's doubtful btw), then the least of Shannon's worries needs to be an apology...he needs to be concerned about lawyering up.

Odd coincidence that Shannon lives in same city as Julio...wonder if they ever talk🤔

1 minute ago, SOI said:

If indeed they set Julio up (I believe that's doubtful btw), then the least of Shannon's worries needs to be an apology...he needs to be concerned about lawyering up.

Odd coincidence that Shannon lives in same city as Julio...wonder if they ever talk🤔

Living in the same city equals calling someone while working live and asking a question before saying, "hey I'm on air right now, just so you know" is the same thing?

As a reminder, Shannon only mentioned it seconds before hanging up. 😏

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, FinalScore2.0 said:

Living in the same city equals calling someone while working live and asking a question before saying, "hey I'm on air right now, just so you know" is the same thing?

So you're of the opinion that Julio was that naive and Shannon/Fox Sports was that wreckless with their personal/business liability??

Edited by SOI

4 minutes ago, FinalScore2.0 said:

That was only when he mentioned it.  Even the host was asking if he knew he was live.  Julio even switched up the way he was talking towards the end to a more PC tone and response.

I still don’t believe he knew.

I just cant see Sharpe risking his career over a phone call. Now if you told me him and Julio set it up this way, I could believe that. Julio even double downed on not wanting to go to Dallas after it was mentioned he was on air.

3 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

That was only when he mentioned it.  Even the host was asking if he knew he was live.  Julio even switched up the way he was talking towards the end to a more PC tone and response.

Wow...IF that is true than Shannon's reputation with players for confidentiality purposes is irreversibly damaged and he and Fox Sports better lawyer up

If anyone has earned being a "Falcon for Life", it is JJ. It seems like he has always been a good teammate, and he has definitely produced for this Franchise. In some ways, I think he probably didn't feel the love that he has earned from the new regime. I think he feels disrespected, and that is why he wants to move on. I personally am not a big fan of how the whole thing has been handled.

Now, with all of that being said, I want him to be traded. After him stating that he wants out, it would be best if the franchise moved on. You don't need people who don't want to be here on the team. 

Thanks JJ for all of the memories, but you gotta go...

2 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

If anyone has earned being a "Falcon for Life", it is JJ. It seems like he has always been a good teammate, and he has definitely produced for this Franchise. In some ways, I think he probably didn't feel the love that he has earned from the new regime. I think he feels disrespected, and that is why he wants to move on. I personally am not a big fan of how the whole thing has been handled.

Now, with all of that being said, I want him to be traded. After him stating that he wants out, it would be best if the franchise moved on. You don't need people who don't want to be here on the team. 

Thanks JJ for all of the memories, but you gotta go...

I'd say Ryan over Julio, but honestly no one is guaranteed their position. Ryan says it best - you don't own the locker, you rent, and the rent is due every Sunday. I wish Blank had never said that "Falcon for life" thing about anyone. 

What's likely to happen is he'll leave and there will be some hurt feelings and then in a few years, once he's retired, he and Blank will make up and they'll hang his jersey in the rafters.

As to why he wants out, I think he probably doesn't feel like going through another rebuild (no matter what others call it, we're breaking in an entirely new regime following two brutal seasons). If he's going to learn a new system, might as well be with a team on the cusp. I can understand that. Don't like the approach, but also don't care what someone I don't know thinks. I just keep rooting for the logo. 

12 minutes ago, SOI said:

So you're of the opinion that Julio was that naive and Shannon/Fox Sports was that wreckless with their personal/business liability??

Well wasn't Shannon reckless?

Notifying Julio that the conversation was business not personal should have been the first thing he did. Right or wrong?

5 minutes ago, FinalScore2.0 said:

Notifying Julio that the conversation was business not personal should have been the first thing he did. Right or wrong?

I think Julio knew what was up the whole time.

Are you seriously asking me if anything shock jocks like Skip Bayless and Shannon Sharpe do is right or wrong? What won't they do for ratings?

Folks keep bringing up the FCC regulation that forbids unauthorized transmission of a telephone conversation.  You should know, the fine for that is $4,000.

https://transition.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Compliance/Orders/1997/fcc97218.pdf

(see p. 29).

I'm betting Shannon Sharpe would do it again and gladly pay the $4,000 for all the publicity this is getting him, and I bet his network would be happy for it.

17 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

I think it was Jenny who said, I hope he is watching. That indicated it was an unusual and awkward situation. And still Shannon goes, hey what's going on? You going to Dallas?

Not "I'm live on undisputed right now." That should have been the first thing after the greeting.

5 minutes ago, FinalScore2.0 said:

You're acting as if Julio wasn't in on that phone call. Pretty coincidental that just minutes after, suddenly Schefter and Rapoport have info that he asked for a trade months ago don't you think? 

IMO, I think it's pretty clear that all of these 'leaks' have been coming from Julio's camp this entire time. 

6 minutes ago, FinalScore2.0 said:

Julio knew the call was being aired. He wasn't sniped in any way.

By the way: If I was Coach Smith, I'd make an announcement that I wouldn't take or answer any further questions about Julio until the situation resolves itself. I understand the press's interest but they left a helluva lot of questions unasked by asking the same one 20 different ways. Any press conference should be about getting information out to the team and we now know exactly nada more about the offseason progress of the team than we did yesterday.

2 minutes ago, dirtybirds233 said:

You're acting as if Julio wasn't in on that phone call. Pretty coincidental that just minutes after, suddenly Schefter and Rapoport have info that he asked for a trade months ago don't you think? 

IMO, I think it's pretty clear that all of these 'leaks' have been coming from Julio's camp this entire time. 

B-b-bingo!!

...but we were led to believe Julio was a team first guy!

Selfless or selfish??

2 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Folks keep bringing up the FCC regulation that forbids unauthorized transmission of a telephone conversation.  You should know, the fine for that is $4,000.

https://transition.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Compliance/Orders/1997/fcc97218.pdf

(see p. 29).

I'm betting Shannon Sharpe would do it again and gladly pay the $4,000 for all the publicity this is getting him, and I bet his network would be happy for it.

I'm not sure about that. This is Shannon's reputation on the line.

It's like the whistle blowers that talked to the Intercept and then ended in jail. Why trust them again?

9 minutes ago, direwolf said:

I'd say Ryan over Julio, but honestly no one is guaranteed their position. Ryan says it best - you don't own the locker, you rent, and the rent is due every Sunday. I wish Blank had never said that "Falcon for life" thing about anyone. 

What's likely to happen is he'll leave and there will be some hurt feelings and then in a few years, once he's retired, he and Blank will make up and they'll hang his jersey in the rafters.

As to why he wants out, I think he probably doesn't feel like going through another rebuild (no matter what others call it, we're breaking in an entirely new regime following two brutal seasons). If he's going to learn a new system, might as well be with a team on the cusp. I can understand that. Don't like the approach, but also don't care what someone I don't know thinks. I just keep rooting for the logo. 

I am in agreement that Ryan has earned that moniker as well. I root for the logo over the player too, and that is why I have stayed with the Falcons for my 50 years on this planet. 

I personally don't like the way things have been handled by the Falcons. I KNOW that I am in the minority, but I don't really care for the Belichek way of answering questions to the media. How bout a simple, "JJ has been a great Falcon, is a Falcon, and at this time, nothing has changed in that regard." By doing that, you don't alienate one of your best players, and you still haven't shown your cards, because of the "at this time" statement.

3 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

It is smart..... But I'm not going to lie I do kind of wish he would have come out and said that Julio is a falcon until we decide that he is not.... Because that is the reality of the situation.

I like when Marvin Lewis said if you don't want to play don't play. It was about Chad Johnson I believe.

3 minutes ago, dirtybirds233 said:

And yet Schefter and Rapoport never said anything and neither did Julio.

Just now, FinalScore2.0 said:

I'm not sure about that. This is Shannon's reputation on the line.

It's like the whistle blowers that talked to the Intercept and then ended in jail. Why trust them again?

Meh, players might not trust him anymore, but it isn't like he's planning to do this all the time.  I doubt it harms his reputation at all with the people who count (his employers).

1 minute ago, SOI said:

B-b-bingo!!

...but we were led to believe Julio was a team first guy!

Selfless or selfish??

Especially with Harry Douglas' comments after speaking with Julio. Something happened between 2020 and now that ticked him off bad enough to pull all this

Just now, FinalScore2.0 said:

And yet Schefter and Rapoport never said anything and neither did Julio.

??

Rapoport Tweeted within minutes after the phone call that Julio asked for a trade 'months ago' and Schefter Tweeted what the Falcons were asking for him during the draft. 

These guys get paid to break news, they wouldn't sit on that info. They were told that info either right before or in concurrence with that phone call. 

2 minutes ago, dirtybirds233 said:

??

Rapoport Tweeted within minutes after the phone call that Julio asked for a trade 'months ago' and Schefter Tweeted what the Falcons were asking for him during the draft. 

These guys get paid to break news, they wouldn't sit on that info. They were told that info either right before or in concurrence with that phone call. 

I seriously doubt that