AS better pull rabbit out of the hat without Julio.

1 minute ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

A post June 1st trade with Julio doesn't get them that much money.

They can sign their picks but I don't think they're going to be able to go on a spending spree by any means.

It'll leave them around 8-9 to use for whatever, with other moves potentially still available to free up money

2 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

You still did not answer my question. 

Guys like DeAndre Hopkins, AB (before going crazy) and many other elite WRs over the past 5 years have faced that SAME types of coverage and they can score TDs at a far superior rate. Are you going to sit here and try and tell me that only Julio faced that level of coverage? 

I'll be honest with you and Bryan Cox said it too... I've never seen a WR get double and triple teamed constantly the way Julio was.

7 minutes ago, insight said:

Last season was the first time in six season has hasn't had over 1300 receiving yards. What are you talking about, do you know who the top receivers of the last 5 years are? 

I know that Julio was ineffective scoring touchdowns throughout his entire time in Atlanta and I also know like many Falcons fans that the offensive numbers are misleading oftentimes because of garbage time yards coming back from double deficit scores. 

1 minute ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I'll be honest with you and Bryan Cox said it too... I've never seen a WR get double and triple teamed constantly the way Julio was.

3 years ago. He doesnt demand triple teams anymore. Doesnt even get double teamed often anymore. Still wins and is awesone but yeah. His salary is also whats costing us from spending on defense.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, SOI said:

I know that Julio was ineffective scoring touchdowns throughout his entire time in Atlanta and I also know like many Falcons fans that the offensive numbers are misleading oftentimes because of garbage time yards coming back from double deficit scores. 

He wasn't a TD machine in college either. I think the most he had was like 6 in a single season. 

Edited by dodge_birds_fan

I doubt it happens at this point. Just don’t have much faith in the organization right now. It’s gonna take some time for me to become happy with the team again 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Show me some concrete evidence with numbers. I love Julio but all the elite end guys face doubles left and right and safety help constantly. Julio never got it done in the endzone. HOF bound WR but that was always his downfall if you had to pick and choose something. 

Ridley is not Julio but we don't need him to be. Give me 1200+ yards a year and I am fine with 6-8 TDs. Kyle Pitts can be our TD guy the way Ridley was with Julio here.

Edited by PriMeTiiMe

1 minute ago, SOI said:

You just don't understand football.  In order for Julio score TD's in the Redzone they need to pass him the ball.  The offensive coordinators are not trying to force feed Julio when they can exploit single coverage.  If you think Pitts or Ridley is going to increase the amount of TD's scored without Julio your going to get your feeling hurt buddy. 

5 minutes ago, bertrain7 said:

3 years ago. He doesnt demand triple teams anymore. Doesnt even get double teamed often anymore. Still wins and is awesone but yeah. His salary is also whats costing us from spending on defense.

This is a LIE!

So basically, every offensive skill player on this team won't be able to get open on their own, or be schemed open unless Julio is on the field.

That is not how football works

PPG in games where Julio was inactive or had less than 50% of the offensive snaps: 21.66

PPG when Julio was active/had more than 50% of the offensive snaps: 28.74

Julio being on the field literally made this offense an entire touchdown better in 2020. 

4 minutes ago, bertrain7 said:

1 minute ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Show me some concrete evidence with numbers. I love Julio but all the elite end guys face doubles left and right and safety help constantly. Julio never got it done in the endzone. HOF bound WR but that was always his downfall if you had to pick and choose something. 

Ridley is not Julio but we don't need him to be. Give me 1200+ yards a year and I am fine with 6-8 TDs. Kyle Pitts can be our TD guy the way Ridley was with Julio here.

Like I was saying before....

And this is the turn.... "We love Julio.... we can't win without him....." to "he was never that good. We don't need him."

Saw the same thing with Roddy..... saw the same thing with Tony Gonzalez.

Granted last year wasn't great for Julio but make no mistake Julio was that good.

Even if he wasn't playing at 2016 levels who do you think the #1 thing DCs worried about when facing the Falcons?  Was it "we can't let Calvin Ridley beat us?" Was it "we can't let Matt Ryan beat us?" Or was it "we have to make sure we keep Julio in check?"

5 minutes ago, insight said:

You just don't understand football.  In order for Julio score TD's in the Redzone they need to pass him the ball.  The offensive coordinators are not trying to force feed Julio when they can exploit single coverage.  If you think Pitts or Ridley is going to increase the amount of TD's scored without Julio your going to get your feeling hurt buddy. 

I don't understand football because I disagree with you? Are you coaching football as your career somewhere that we should be enlightened?

I wonder how other top end receivers are scoring touchdowns seeing the same types of double and triple teams? 

Maybe they should have force fed Julio the ball in the redzone and we could have seen a more rewarding result with him but that's right....he didn't capitalize on his opportunities

Let me get this out of the way: I think Julio is statistically and physically the #1 ranked WR ever. My top 5 includes Julio, Megatron, Jerry, Fitz, and Moss. Hes on that level.

With that said, his targets are better spent going to Ridley (middle of his prime and easily WR1 w/o trade), Pitts (20 year old FREAK), Dadby (could really develop with opportunities), and Gage (lets see what his ceiling is). 

Ridley is 27, and is starting his "prime". KP can play the next decade, and STILL be younger than Julio.

Not trying to make another Julio thread, but this is whats beat for the team long term for sure, and possibly in the short term. Throwing to a 27 year old All-Pro caliber WR and a TE who is the best TE prospect ever vs. tgrowing to a 32 year old cash cow who has shown real decline the past few years and has struggled to stay healthy and never was a bid TD contributor(although did his work killing teams inbetween the redzones). 

We will be fine, and im looking forward to watching Rid and KP tear this league up. 

2 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Even if he wasn't playing at 2016 levels who do you think the #1 thing DCs worried about when facing the Falcons?  Was it "we can't let Calvin Ridley beat us?" Was it "we can't let Matt Ryan beat us?" Or was it "we have to make sure we keep Julio in check?"

Making sure Dirk Koetter did not miss his flight.

Ridley has to step up his game even with AS calling plays. Though it’s not d d if the world with out Julio, the offense was pathetic with out him. 

Hopefully they add more defensive players to balance the team. If falcons have to score 25- 30 points to win, it’s hard with out Julio. 

You do realize the team is going to have to enter a rebuild within the next 5 years, so who knows how long that will take, and how much of Pitts and Ridley's time will be wasted on that duration. So a bit overzealous to say things are going to turn out the best for the long term. 

2 minutes ago, Brewcrew said:

Matt has been making WRs his whole career.  Watch Julio's production drop off a cliff like every other WR that has left.  We'll be fine.  AS will get the running game going, which will mean we don't have to have a $20m #1 WR in order to be able to get open in triple coverage.   

I get it but if you were referring to sanu he was basically done before left. Having julio and ridley opens the field also. Its not just matt. Hooper went to a run 1st team with elite wrs also.

Not to mention we havent had a running gm in how long? You will eat as a pass catcher in atl with those variables.  

10 minutes ago, LaurentRobinsonDaGawd said:

Let me get this out of the way: I think Julio is statistically and physically the #1 ranked WR ever. My top 5 includes Julio, Megatron, Jerry, Fitz, and Moss. Hes on that level.

With that said, his targets are better spent going to Ridley (middle of his prime and easily WR1 w/o trade), Pitts (20 year old FREAK), Dadby (could really develop with opportunities), and Gage (lets see what his ceiling is). 

Ridley is 27, and is starting his "prime". KP can play the next decade, and STILL be younger than Julio.

Not trying to make another Julio thread, but this is whats beat for the team long term for sure, and possibly in the short term. Throwing to a 27 year old All-Pro caliber WR and a TE who is the best TE prospect ever vs. tgrowing to a 32 year old cash cow who has shown real decline the past few years and has struggled to stay healthy and never was a bid TD contributor(although did his work killing teams inbetween the redzones). 

We will be fine, and im looking forward to watching Rid and KP tear this league up. 

I combined threads. Your topic pretty much fits right here

2 minutes ago, SOI said:

I don't understand football because I disagree with you? Are you coaching football as your career somewhere that we should be enlightened?

I wonder how other top end receivers are scoring touchdowns seeing the same types of double and triple teams? 

Maybe they should have force fed Julio the ball in the redzone and we could have seen a more rewarding result with him but that's right....he didn't capitalize on his opportunities

The object is to score points, it's a team effort, some offense are designed to run more plays to the wideouts in the redzone some are not.  How many TD's a receiver scores doesn't  translate to how go they are or there impact on an offense.  Based on your logic,  Devante Adams scored twice as many TD's as Calvin Ridley last season, I guess he has to be twice as good too. 

11 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Like I was saying before....

And this is the turn.... "We love Julio.... we can't win without him....." to "he was never that good. We don't need him."

Saw the same thing with Roddy..... saw the same thing with Tony Gonzalez.

Granted last year wasn't great for Julio but make no mistake Julio was that good.

Nah dude. Julio is the man. He is awesome. However he is just one wide receiver. His massive salary was a huge hindrance. 

He is also on the back end of his career. We dont need him to win. Doesnt mean he isnt that good.

Also last year would be more to stop Ridley. Touchdown machine. Yards alone dont mean much but touchdowns are huge.