Jump to content

JJ says "I'm am Outta there" on Undisputed!


iDash
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Hard Case said:

What if the Falcons decide all offers are not enough, and refuse to trade Julio ?  Do you think he would hold out or play? 

In my opinion, Julio is done here and will hold out if he isn’t traded before training camp. He doesn’t need money, he just wants to win

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Wjcorner said:

When he didn’t speak out a word after it, he solidified his stand up nature in my eyes. The fact he does this means he’s been worn THIN, I can’t blame Julio at this point.

 

Still hope he ends his career here though 🥺

The falcons have kissed julios backside for years. Love him on the field, but can't say I dont blame him. I hate to see him go, but don't think for a second that he hasn't been treated like royalty.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think something that just about everyone here is forgetting is the distraction that disgruntled superstars can cause on a team. The media will be all over the staff and players, everything will be about Julio...for the entire season. I guarantee we don’t want to deal with that

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A lot of people have selective memories or just don't connect the dots. As I recall, the seeds for this day were sewn way back when Julio signed his first big contract (around the time DQ was preaching about brotherhood this & brotherhood that)... as it turned out Julio gave Atlanta a bit of a hometown discount, even though at that time he was the greatest receiver on the planet).

A couple years go by & Matt Ryan is up for his new deal. Instead of giving a hometown discount, Matt grabbed every penny on the table. What's more, in the eyes of many, though Matt is a very good QB, he is far from the greatest in the game (tho he was paid like it). So right then & there the Falcons established a double-standard whereby a good QB was paid like the best in the game & the best WR in the game was paid like a good WR but not the best in the game. So the standards changed on Julio... I firmly believe this is the reason he held out & demanded more $$$.

Additionally, Julio knows like many who've actually played the game on the offensive side of the ball that what makes Matt great is his ability to read defenses but that his arm strength is average at best. People have to learn coach-speak. When they say he can make all the throws, what they are really saying is that we know his arm is weak but it is at least strong enough to get the ball there on all the throws (not necessarily with any zip behind the throw mind you or counting the number of crow-hops & windup it takes to get the ball there). So anytime a coach has to resort to making this statement you already know the arm strength is suspect... otherwise, the statement wouldn't be necessary as the fact would be obvious.

Also, in my opinion, the reason Julio isn't the hands-down undisputed best receiver in the game (at least numbers wise) is because Matt just doesn't have the arm to get him the ball on deep routes (without releasing the ball way early & just hanging it out there). I've lost count of how many touchdowns Julio would have scored if only he didn't have to break stride & hang around waiting on the ball to come down (allowing the defender to get back into the play). If anything Julio's athletic ability made Matt Ryan (not the other way around).

In my opinion the team blew it by signing Ryan to the big contract & doubled-down on this mistake by renegotiating Julio's contract creating the cap **** they are currently in. I think Ryan knew he was putting the team in a bind when he signed his contract but didn't care b/c he wanted his money. This prompted Julio to then do the same by demanding more money.  No one in the building did anything to reign in this mess cause they knew: 1) they did Julio wrong with the first contract; and 2) Ryan's big contract will mean nothing if they don't also have Julio, especially considering they knew Julio was the most essential piece to the offense & Matt wasn't taking them anywhere without Julio.

Adding insult to injury, Julio is often portrayed as the greedy selfish one & Matt always gets a pass. Don't get me wrong, there are no perfect players & yes the Falcons can win with Matt as QB but he needs dominance at other positions to win. Why? Because he is not a dominate QB, tho he is competent... even special if you have a truly gifted OC calling the plays.

Julio, I see you Bro & understand the contributions you made to this team & to winning football, even if others don't. I wish you well & will be pulling for your success wherever you end up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tl;dr said:

Just seeing two of the biggest freaks in Alabama football this era together. 

Julio, Henry, Tua and Smitty are my favorite Alabama players 

Indeed. I may be a bit older, but I can’t argue with that. Good choices. I love them all. All generations. Derrick Thomas man…the one and only. Cornelius Bennett, Tony Nathan. Lee Roy Jordan, Bobby Humphrey, Barry goal line stand Krause. Shaun Alexander. Johnny Musso, Lacy, Trent, Mark Ingram. So many more. Hightower crushing our SB hopes. Moses brothers. I love them all. Namath. Bart Starr, the Snake.  On and on for me. Mac Jones. McCarron. Jalen Hurd man…too many to repeat. On and on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's a sad day in that it's another reminder that the Super Bowl window is closed with this core of players. It's been closed for years and the rebuild came two years too late.

Too many careers doomed by TD's bad contracts and his inability to evaluate talent in the trenches. Thanks for the memories, Julio, especially for the first half of the 2012 NFC championship game.

On the other hand, good riddance, and don't let the door hit your *** on the way out. Flame away, but I have always said and still do say he's overrated.

Don't get me wrong, he's a dynamic player and any team is better with him than without him. But he also has had 1 (!) season with double digit TDs (out of 10 years in the league), and has only played in 16 games 4 of 10 times.

Great player, he is: sure-fire hall-of-famer, he is not. 

Edited by DQ Soft Serve
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, DirtyBird46 said:

A lot of people have selective memories or just don't connect the dots. As I recall, the seeds for this day were sewn way back when Julio signed his first big contract (around the time DQ was preaching about brotherhood this & brotherhood that)... as it turned out Julio gave Atlanta a bit of a hometown discount, even though at that time he was the greatest receiver on the planet).

A couple years go by & Matt Ryan is up for his new deal. Instead of giving a hometown discount, Matt grabbed every penny on the table. What's more, in the eyes of many, though Matt is a very good QB, he is far from the greatest in the game (tho he was paid like it). So right then & there the Falcons established a double-standard whereby a good QB was paid like the best in the game & the best WR in the game was paid like a good WR but not the best in the game. So the standards changed on Julio... I firmly believe this is the reason he held out & demanded more $$$.

Additionally, Julio knows like many who've actually played the game on the offensive side of the ball that what makes Matt great is his ability to read defenses but that his arm strength is average at best. People have to learn coach-speak. When they say he can make all the throws, what they are really saying is that we know his arm is weak but it is at least strong enough to get the ball there on all the throws (not necessarily with any zip behind the throw mind you or counting the number of crow-hops & windup it takes to get the ball there). So anytime a coach has to resort to making this statement you already know the arm strength is suspect... otherwise, the statement wouldn't be necessary as the fact would be obvious.

Also, in my opinion, the reason Julio isn't the hands-down undisputed best receiver in the game (at least numbers wise) is because Matt just doesn't have the arm to get him the ball on deep routes (without releasing the ball way early & just hanging it out there). I've lost count of how many touchdowns Julio would have scored if only he didn't have to break stride & hang around waiting on the ball to come down (allowing the defender to get back into the play). If anything Julio's athletic ability made Matt Ryan (not the other way around).

In my opinion the team blew it by signing Ryan to the big contract & doubled-down on this mistake by renegotiating Julio's contract creating the cap **** they are currently in. I think Ryan knew he was putting the team in a bind when he signed his contract but didn't care b/c he wanted his money. This prompted Julio to then do the same by demanding more money.  No one in the building did anything to reign in this mess cause they knew: 1) they did Julio wrong with the first contract; and 2) Ryan's big contract will mean nothing if they don't also have Julio, especially considering they knew Julio was the most essential piece to the offense & Matt wasn't taking them anywhere without Julio.

Adding insult to injury, Julio is often portrayed as the greedy selfish one & Matt always gets a pass. Don't get me wrong, there are no perfect players & yes the Falcons can win with Matt as QB but he needs dominance at other positions to win. Why? Because he is not a dominate QB, tho he is competent... even special if you have a truly gifted OC calling the plays.

Julio, I see you Bro & understand the contributions you made to this team & to winning football, even if others don't. I wish you well & will be pulling for your success wherever you end up.

You're going to get flamed. But you are 100% correct and I brought this up before (contract wise). Everything else I cannot really agree with.

Edited by jetpac
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, DirtyBird46 said:

A lot of people have selective memories or just don't connect the dots. As I recall, the seeds for this day were sewn way back when Julio signed his first big contract (around the time DQ was preaching about brotherhood this & brotherhood that)... as it turned out Julio gave Atlanta a bit of a hometown discount, even though at that time he was the greatest receiver on the planet).

A couple years go by & Matt Ryan is up for his new deal. Instead of giving a hometown discount, Matt grabbed every penny on the table. What's more, in the eyes of many, though Matt is a very good QB, he is far from the greatest in the game (tho he was paid like it). So right then & there the Falcons established a double-standard whereby a good QB was paid like the best in the game & the best WR in the game was paid like a good WR but not the best in the game. So the standards changed on Julio... I firmly believe this is the reason he held out & demanded more $$$.

Additionally, Julio knows like many who've actually played the game on the offensive side of the ball that what makes Matt great is his ability to read defenses but that his arm strength is average at best. People have to learn coach-speak. When they say he can make all the throws, what they are really saying is that we know his arm is weak but it is at least strong enough to get the ball there on all the throws (not necessarily with any zip behind the throw mind you or counting the number of crow-hops & windup it takes to get the ball there). So anytime a coach has to resort to making this statement you already know the arm strength is suspect... otherwise, the statement wouldn't be necessary as the fact would be obvious.

Also, in my opinion, the reason Julio isn't the hands-down undisputed best receiver in the game (at least numbers wise) is because Matt just doesn't have the arm to get him the ball on deep routes (without releasing the ball way early & just hanging it out there). I've lost count of how many touchdowns Julio would have scored if only he didn't have to break stride & hang around waiting on the ball to come down (allowing the defender to get back into the play). If anything Julio's athletic ability made Matt Ryan (not the other way around).

In my opinion the team blew it by signing Ryan to the big contract & doubled-down on this mistake by renegotiating Julio's contract creating the cap **** they are currently in. I think Ryan knew he was putting the team in a bind when he signed his contract but didn't care b/c he wanted his money. This prompted Julio to then do the same by demanding more money.  No one in the building did anything to reign in this mess cause they knew: 1) they did Julio wrong with the first contract; and 2) Ryan's big contract will mean nothing if they don't also have Julio, especially considering they knew Julio was the most essential piece to the offense & Matt wasn't taking them anywhere without Julio.

Adding insult to injury, Julio is often portrayed as the greedy selfish one & Matt always gets a pass. Don't get me wrong, there are no perfect players & yes the Falcons can win with Matt as QB but he needs dominance at other positions to win. Why? Because he is not a dominate QB, tho he is competent... even special if you have a truly gifted OC calling the plays.

Julio, I see you Bro & understand the contributions you made to this team & to winning football, even if others don't. I wish you well & will be pulling for your success wherever you end up.

It always has something to do with Matt Ryan don't it?  Smh...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, DQ Soft Serve said:

It's a sad day in that it's another reminder that the Super Bowl window is closed with this core of players. It's been closed for years and the rebuild came two years too late.

Too many careers doomed by TD's bad contracts and his inability to evaluate talent in the trenches. Thanks for the memories, Julio, especially for the first half of the 2012 NFC championship game.

On the other hand, good riddance, and don't let the door hit your *** on the way out. Flame away, but I have always said and still do say he's overrated.

Don't get me wrong, he's a dynamic player and any team is better with him than without him. But he also has had 1 (!) season with double digit TDs (out of 10 years in the league), and has only played in 16 games 4 of 10 times.

Great player, he is: sure-fire hall-of-famer, he is not. 

Life goes on. We’re all going to die. No one gets out of this life alive. It’s not that important. Opinions are awesome though. I respect yours and agree. Sure fire? He’ll get there, but I agree. Same with Calvin Johnson. Love them both. They’ll get there though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, DQ Soft Serve said:

It's a sad day in that it's another reminder that the Super Bowl window is closed with this core of players. It's been closed for years and the rebuild came two years too late.

Too many careers doomed by TD's bad contracts and his inability to evaluate talent in the trenches. Thanks for the memories, Julio, especially for the first half of the 2012 NFC championship game.

On the other hand, good riddance, and don't let the door hit your *** on the way out. Flame away, but I have always said and still do say he's overrated.

Don't get me wrong, he's a dynamic player and any team is better with him than without him. But he also has had 1 (!) season with double digit TDs (out of 10 years in the league), and has only played in 16 games 4 of 10 times.

Great player, he is: sure-fire hall-of-famer, he is not. 

Superbowl "windows" are myths crated by media for talking points. Teams don't try and create windows where they can win Superbowls, they want to win every year 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, DirtyBird46 said:

 

Also, in my opinion, the reason Julio isn't the hands-down undisputed best receiver in the game (at least numbers wise) is because Matt just doesn't have the arm to get him the ball on deep routes (without releasing the ball way early & just hanging it out there). I've lost count of how many touchdowns Julio would have scored if only he didn't have to break stride & hang around waiting on the ball to come down (allowing the defender to get back into the play). If anything Julio's athletic ability made Matt Ryan (not the other way around).

 

Spot on. Julio is a big guy. Constantly having to gear down to go back and get them ducks has been hard on his hamstrings. I agree that Julio felt disrespected in that he had to fight for his money as the best receiver in the game while Ryan, not even the best quarterback,  never had issues with the Falcons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

Spot on. Julio is a big guy. Constantly having to gear down to go back and get them ducks has been hard on his hamstrings. I agree that Julio felt disrespected in that he had to fight for his money as the best receiver in the game while Ryan, not even the best quarterback,  never had issues with the Falcons.

It is official.  Saints fans are smarter than Falcons fans.  Flame on, but I have buckets of evidence to support this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DirtyBird46 said:

A lot of people have selective memories or just don't connect the dots. As I recall, the seeds for this day were sewn way back when Julio signed his first big contract (around the time DQ was preaching about brotherhood this & brotherhood that)... as it turned out Julio gave Atlanta a bit of a hometown discount, even though at that time he was the greatest receiver on the planet).

A couple years go by & Matt Ryan is up for his new deal. Instead of giving a hometown discount, Matt grabbed every penny on the table. What's more, in the eyes of many, though Matt is a very good QB, he is far from the greatest in the game (tho he was paid like it). So right then & there the Falcons established a double-standard whereby a good QB was paid like the best in the game & the best WR in the game was paid like a good WR but not the best in the game. So the standards changed on Julio... I firmly believe this is the reason he held out & demanded more $$$.

Additionally, Julio knows like many who've actually played the game on the offensive side of the ball that what makes Matt great is his ability to read defenses but that his arm strength is average at best. People have to learn coach-speak. When they say he can make all the throws, what they are really saying is that we know his arm is weak but it is at least strong enough to get the ball there on all the throws (not necessarily with any zip behind the throw mind you or counting the number of crow-hops & windup it takes to get the ball there). So anytime a coach has to resort to making this statement you already know the arm strength is suspect... otherwise, the statement wouldn't be necessary as the fact would be obvious.

Also, in my opinion, the reason Julio isn't the hands-down undisputed best receiver in the game (at least numbers wise) is because Matt just doesn't have the arm to get him the ball on deep routes (without releasing the ball way early & just hanging it out there). I've lost count of how many touchdowns Julio would have scored if only he didn't have to break stride & hang around waiting on the ball to come down (allowing the defender to get back into the play). If anything Julio's athletic ability made Matt Ryan (not the other way around).

In my opinion the team blew it by signing Ryan to the big contract & doubled-down on this mistake by renegotiating Julio's contract creating the cap **** they are currently in. I think Ryan knew he was putting the team in a bind when he signed his contract but didn't care b/c he wanted his money. This prompted Julio to then do the same by demanding more money.  No one in the building did anything to reign in this mess cause they knew: 1) they did Julio wrong with the first contract; and 2) Ryan's big contract will mean nothing if they don't also have Julio, especially considering they knew Julio was the most essential piece to the offense & Matt wasn't taking them anywhere without Julio.

Adding insult to injury, Julio is often portrayed as the greedy selfish one & Matt always gets a pass. Don't get me wrong, there are no perfect players & yes the Falcons can win with Matt as QB but he needs dominance at other positions to win. Why? Because he is not a dominate QB, tho he is competent... even special if you have a truly gifted OC calling the plays.

Julio, I see you Bro & understand the contributions you made to this team & to winning football, even if others don't. I wish you well & will be pulling for your success wherever you end up.

Great analysis

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FACTS - Forgot to add one more thing. Everyone in the league knows Matt has a noodle arm, it's not a secret (except apparently to this fan base)... but, that doesn't mean that the Falcons cannot win despite his lack of arm strength. In fact, he & Brees are very similar QBs. The only real difference being Brees has superior pocket presence & Matt is taller & able to see over the line better (without deep drops). I might also give Matt an edge in arm strength. What I am saying is that you have to be realistic about what you have if you intend to build around it so that you can compensate for any areas of weakness. Case in point, for some stupid reason, the last regime tried the long developing pass routes & Matt didn't have the arm to get the ball there nor did the line have the blocking ability to hold up while the routes develop. Terrible planning on the Falcons part.

OPINION - Once the Falcons passed on taking a strong armed QB in the draft in favor of a freakish TE (essentially a Julio replacement), I believe the die was cast & Julio could see the writing on the wall. Julio could see that they still don't have anybody to get him the ball down field & to make matters worse they drafted someone that will feast on the short & intermediate routes (routes that pair well with Matt's arm strength), so Julio was essentially being squeezed out of the offense. What good is taking the top off the defense if your QB can't get the ball to you. Add to that they don't have the budget to improve the defense & thus are likely stuck in mediocrity for another year... a year that a 32 year old WR can ill afford to throw away.

EXCEPTION - If the Falcons are able to put together some sort of a run game, then the play action can freeze defenders long enough to drop the ball over their heads, which has the same effect of a deep ball only not as far down field. This is the type of offense that Matt can excel in... unfortunately, it doesn't pair well with Julio's strengths especially when they drafted someone that can in effect duplicate his production in the short & intermediate routes. I believe this is why Julio is done with the Falcons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, DirtyBird46 said:

 

OPINION - Once the Falcons passed on taking a strong armed QB in the draft in favor of a freakish TE (essentially a Julio replacement), I believe the die was cast & Julio could see the writing on the wall. Julio could see that they still don't have anybody to get him the ball down field & to make matters worse they drafted someone that will feast on the short & intermediate routes (routes that pair well with Matt's arm strength), so Julio was essentially being squeezed out of the offense. What good is taking the top off the defense if your QB can't get the ball to you. Add to that they don't have the budget to improve the defense & thus are likely stuck in mediocrity for another year... a year that a 32 year old WR can ill afford to throw away.

.

 

 

2 things wrong with this opinion.

 

1. How would Julio base his decision on a trade after Falcons drafting Pitts when it's been reported Julio asked to be traded back in March?

 

2. Julio wasn't gonna be happy with a rookie QB. Especially if he wants to win now.

 

Truth is Julio could be unhappy due to just about anything. We'll more than likely find out at some point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JBridgez said:

In my opinion, Julio is done here and will hold out if he isn’t traded before training camp. He doesn’t need money, he just wants to win

If he didn’t care about money then why did he hold out for more of it just a couple years ago. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, DirtyBird46 said:

FACTS - Forgot to add one more thing. Everyone in the league knows Matt has a noodle arm, it's not a secret (except apparently to this fan base)... but, that doesn't mean that the Falcons cannot win despite his lack of arm strength. In fact, he & Brees are very similar QBs. The only real difference being Brees has superior pocket presence & Matt is taller & able to see over the line better (without deep drops). I might also give Matt an edge in arm strength. What I am saying is that you have to be realistic about what you have if you intend to build around it so that you can compensate for any areas of weakness. Case in point, for some stupid reason, the last regime tried the long developing pass routes & Matt didn't have the arm to get the ball there nor did the line have the blocking ability to hold up while the routes develop. Terrible planning on the Falcons part.

OPINION - Once the Falcons passed on taking a strong armed QB in the draft in favor of a freakish TE (essentially a Julio replacement), I believe the die was cast & Julio could see the writing on the wall. Julio could see that they still don't have anybody to get him the ball down field & to make matters worse they drafted someone that will feast on the short & intermediate routes (routes that pair well with Matt's arm strength), so Julio was essentially being squeezed out of the offense. What good is taking the top off the defense if your QB can't get the ball to you. Add to that they don't have the budget to improve the defense & thus are likely stuck in mediocrity for another year... a year that a 32 year old WR can ill afford to throw away.

EXCEPTION - If the Falcons are able to put together some sort of a run game, then the play action can freeze defenders long enough to drop the ball over their heads, which has the same effect of a deep ball only not as far down field. This is the type of offense that Matt can excel in... unfortunately, it doesn't pair well with Julio's strengths especially when they drafted someone that can in effect duplicate his production in the short & intermediate routes. I believe this is why Julio is done with the Falcons.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-s-top-10-deep-passers-russell-wilson-aaron-rodgers-among-best

8 of 18 on deep attempts (44.4%), 262 yards, 2:0 TD-to-INT ratio, 128.2 passer rating

The Falcons haven't won a game -- but they have produced plenty of points and a handful of deep completions.

With the addition of Todd Gurley to Atlanta's backfield, the Falcons have rediscovered the benefits of play-action. Ryan has completed five of eight deep pass attempts off run fakes, gaining 181 yards and scoring a touchdown in the process. Plenty of credit is due to Calvin Ridley, who leads the league in deep targets with 11, with five catches for 149 yards and a touchdown. Note that Ridley accounts for six of Ryan's eight deep targets on play-action passes. New addition Hayden Hurst has accounted for the other two deep shots off the run fake, with the one touchdown going to him.

 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking-all-32-nfl-quarterbacks-deep-passing

 

7. MATT RYAN, ATLANTA FALCONS

42.9% completion percentage, 14.8 yards per attempt, 76.5 Passer Rating

As always seems to be the case, Matt Ryan’s overall play was better than the box score numbers would indicate. His completion rate was good, but six turnover-worthy plays hurt him overall, with five of those plays resulting in an interception. Ryan, of course, has some elite playmakers to throw the ball to downfield, so we should expect him to feature high on this list because of the favorable looks he will regularly see.

 

 

Even without a fully healthy Julio Jones, Ryan is still producing when airing it out. Matt Ryan is the NFL's greatest Rorschach test. People will see whatever they want to see when they look at him. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

 

 

2 things wrong with this opinion.

 

1. How would Julio base his decision on a trade after Falcons drafting Pitts when it's been reported Julio asked to be traded back in March?

 

2. Julio wasn't gonna be happy with a rookie QB. Especially if he wants to win now.

 

Truth is Julio could be unhappy due to just about anything. We'll more than likely find out at some point.

Were you applying logic to this crowd?  Don!  Really!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Atlantafan21 said:

With the amount of Matt Ryan talk in this thread I’m unsure if this is a Julio trade mega thread or a blame Ryan mega thread. 

It is all of them.  We should have drafted a QB@4, Matt Ryan sux, and Julio is as good as traded thread.  It seems like there should be a reward for the poster who comes up with the best thread title that covers all of this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Didn't mean to come off as if I'm blaming Matt, just saying that what's going on with Julio isn't in a vacuum but there is more context around the situation that's been left out of the discussion. Matt is our QB and that's that but it doesn't mean he's beyond criticism or that his situation didn't play some role in Julio's overall dissatisfaction, that's all. Thank you all for your opinions & input. We don't have to agree but I do respect everyone's point of view.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

With the amount of Matt Ryan talk in this thread I’m unsure if this is a Julio trade mega thread or a blame Ryan mega thread. 

All I know is julio threw shade at both dq (cowboys) and Matt Ryan as both aren't good enough to be considered winners

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...