Please explain why we do not have a cap problem???

I’ve heard the TD lovers and homers say over and over for at least two years “the Falcons do not have a cap problem or there’s no such thing as cap hail”. You know who you are - please explain in detail so we can all  share it together. It got to be a rumor but why do we keep hearing about a JJ trade? Trading the best player in falcon history doesn’t have anything to do with the salary cap? So many here has BOLDLY stated “the cap’s not a problem”. If we do not have a cap problem why did we not spend in FA to address our pass rush issues? Why didn’t we go out and a top LG? Why didn’t we pick up HHs fifth yr option? Why did we let K Neal walk? There’s no such thing as cap hail? Can’t wait to here.....I’ll hang up and listen. But most of you won’t reply. 

BTW - many here has been chastised in the past couple of years for even mentioning cap hail. 

Cheers🍻

3 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:
a matter or situation regarded as unwelcome or harmful and needing to be dealt with and overcome. 🤷‍♂️

give me another word to help clarify 

Point being some look at the issue of the cap and wouldn't define it as a problem; others would

You could define it as a problem, even then the question becomes, how big of a problem is it?

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, hjerry said:

Point being some look at the issue of the cap and wouldn't define it as a problem; others would

You could define it as a problem, even then the question becomes, how big of a problem is it?

When you have to trade your best player to clear cap room to sign your rookies it sounds like a problem. 
When you can’t go out and sign FAs at your biggest area of need it sounds like a problem. 
I know we all look at it differently but how do we not have a problem or at least short term problem?

Edited by Atl Falcon

The simple explanation is the cap falling due to lack of attendance last season. Had the cap kept it's usual pace we'd be fine.

We definitely have a cap problem but we could've made some of those moves you mentioned and kept some guys if we mortgaged the future more with restructures (Julio and Grady). But that's exactly what got us into our current situation so they only restructured what was necessary. Makes sense to stop the bleeding now as opposed to the future.

1 hour ago, Atl Falcon said:

I’ve heard the TD lovers and homers say over and over for at least two years “the Falcons do not have a cap problem or there’s no such thing as cap hail”. You know who you are - please explain in detail so we can all  share it together. It got to be a rumor but why do we keep hearing about a JJ trade? Trading the best player in falcon history doesn’t have anything to do with the salary cap? So many here has BOLDLY stated “the cap’s not a problem”. If we do not have a cap problem why did we not spend in FA to address our pass rush issues? Why didn’t we go out and a top LG? Why didn’t we pick up HHs fifth yr option? Why did we let K Neal walk? There’s no such thing as cap hail? Can’t wait to here.....I’ll hang up and listen. But most of you won’t reply. 

BTW - many here has been chastised in the past couple of years for even mentioning cap hail. 

Cheers🍻

The simple answer is most people don't understand basic accounting principles... so ignorance is the main reason.   Some would just prefer to put their head in the sand.  Others firmly believe that restructuring for future years is fine, but probably live with stupid debt in their personal lives.  I could go on, but suffice it to say that the average fan of any sports team is reacting to cap issues based on emotion and not facts.

35 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

When you have to trade your best player to clear cap room to sign your rookies it sounds like a problem. 
When you can’t go out and sign FAs at your biggest area of need it sounds like a problem. 
I know we all look at it differently but how do we not have a problem or at least short term problem?

1st...there are other avenues of dealing with the "problem"

2nd...trading julio is presently a rumor that has been spouted every couple of years.

3rd...we never were going to load up on high priced, one year rentals. This front office is going to be shrewd and deal with things through the draft and valuable, yet affordable, lunchpail types until the " percieved problem" takes care of itself.

4th... if, if we lose julio, I won't be happy, but, this is a team sport and one player does not override the other 52 on the field.

5th... we are not injured by losing keke this year, nor hurst next year.

56 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

We don't really have to do anything. We have done some things, and may do more, but there are always choices. It's the job of the GM to weigh which benefit us more or less.

1 hour ago, Atl Falcon said:

I for one will hide and watch the manipulation of said cap and all will be good. Saints set the standard and their cap manage.............Never mind.

1 hour ago, Spts1 said:

1. The new GM can't sign his first draft class until he trades away Julio Jones...

2.The new GM having to shop in the bargain aisles to sign free agents...

Also, having to extend Ryan to create cap space when he is the biggest cap hit on the books.  Maybe we even take a QB at 4 if we have the space...

The OP is dead on.  We are paying now for stupid moves made under the last regime.

Why do we have a cap issue? It is because the NFL decided they would try and mix things up and make things hard for the Falcons like they always do, because they are biased. Just my opinion there. But that's how I see it..... 

11 minutes ago, Tmodel66 said:

Also, having to extend Ryan to create cap space when he is the biggest cap hit on the books.  Maybe we even take a QB at 4 if we have the space...

The OP is dead on.  We are paying now for stupid moves made under the last regime.

No good GM bases their draft picks on what was done in FA. Either we took Pitts because he was the best choice, or TF is bad at his job.

2 hours ago, falcons007 said:

Final Cap limit is set in stone. Rest can be modified, manipulated to fit your team needs. Heck Aints were 80 M over the cap before league year. They are back under the cap, it’s not like teams have no way to get under. 

This too!!!

2 hours ago, falcons007 said:

Heck Aints were 80 M over the cap before league year. They are back under the cap, it’s not like teams have no way to get under. 

Saints actually are a good example. How did they get under the cap? I know how they did it. I wouldn't exactly describe the moves as painless or without consequence. I think we can expect the same. We will manage the cap, but its not going to happen with a total absence of pain.