How are you feeling about the Falcons offensive line going into 2021?

We lost Alex Mack. Added a couple of guys in the draft. Hired a head coach that's good with coaching offensive linemen. 

My biggest concern is the center position. I'm definitely glad we drafted a center just in case hennessy is a bust. 

How do you guys feel about our offensive line going into 2021? Do you think our line will keep Matt Ryan clean long enough to find one of our above average receivers and provide a running game?

1 minute ago, Bunchy Carter said:

I'm firmly in a wait and see mode.

This

Though I'll admit I'm more confident than I was heading into last season. A lot of our OL woes last season were due to that awful scheme that did the OL no favors, and poor coaching, but until I see our new coaches treat them better, any kind of believe of improvement from last year's players is just blind optimism. 

I certainly love the depth that we have now at several positions. Of course Mayfield and Dalman could end up not being good players, but at least on paper it would seem that we put smart resources towards the OL and got younger and cheaper which is a plus.

The Gono tendering threw me for a loop, but I’m guessing AS saw something there.

21 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

I think coaching changes will help but I’m not convinced especially at center, LG and McGary is a question mark. MR will shine with a decent OL. Hoping for the best

I thought Kaleb came along as the season went on. 

LG is interesting, but there is a lot of competition there. I never really understood the Carpenter and Brown signings to be honest. Neither were overly athletic or overly successful in past stops.

3 hours ago, MSalmon said:

I certainly love the depth that we have now at several positions. Of course Mayfield and Dalman could end up not being good players, but at least on paper it would seem that we put smart resources towards the OL and got younger and cheaper which is a plus.

The Gono tendering threw me for a loop, but I’m guessing AS saw something there.

I’m really excited about Mayfield. He had a bad pro day, but played like a 1st rounder last season. 

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

I’m really excited about Mayfield. He had a bad pro day, but played like a 1st rounder last season. 

Me too. I was stoked when we drafted him. I bet he’s day one LG starter. 

That pick threw me—in a good way. I’ve gotten so used to TD’s drafts that i didn’t see that pleasant surprise occurring!

Unlike some , I have no problems with McGary...he showed massive improvement from year 1 to year 2 and has the skill set to do what we think Smith wants to do. This will be his first real "regular" off-season. (Remember he missed the entire preseason and most of his rookie training camp with a heart deal and then last year's off-season was all jacked up by covid)

LG and Center are the biggest question marks in my mind.

Hennessy did some good things in the run game the last 2 weeks but he had some issues with pass protection....but to be fair his first 2 career starts were against Chris Jones and Suh so he had a baptism by fire.

But LG is a complete toss up.

So we will see.

Having presumably better backs will help the line look better.

They blocked better than the ypc showed

1 hour ago, Dr Long Shot said:

C is the biggest question mark for me. LG I think we'll make due, feel very good about everyone else, especially now that we'll have some much improved scheming and coaching. But C is a legitimate area of concern. 

There are still some solid starting centers in FA, and possibly more will get released in the coming months. If they don't like what they see from either center at mini camp, and we free up some funds, I could see us signing one at least for an insurance policy. TF has shown not to like leaving things to chance

1 minute ago, kiwifalcon said:

Getting the ball out and playing at a higher tempo will help out alot.

Got to keep defenses off balance.

Deep shots will be set up.

Unpredictability is what I'm hoping for. When the defense knows where the ball is going, they can pin their ears back, and reek havoc on the OL

If we can get back to having 5 players on the field, and the ball could go to any of them, then the defense has to be constantly on guard 

I feel much better about it next year! Haha

As far as this season, It all depends on whether or not we can find a capable starting center.  That’s critical. Dalman played in a pro style offense and played a lot of college snaps. With his dad helping him all along the way he could be ready to go, but you can’t put a raw rookie OG next to him if he does win the job.

7 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

We lost Alex Mack. Added a couple of guys in the draft. Hired a head coach that's good with coaching offensive linemen. 

My biggest concern is the center position. I'm definitely glad we drafted a center just in case hennessy is a bust. 

How do you guys feel about our offensive line going into 2021? Do you think our line will keep Matt Ryan clean long enough to find one of our above average receivers and provide a running game?

Honestly, I feel good. Why?

We have a good play caller. Good play callers put the players in a position to succeed. AS systems benefits the O line. Quick passing plays with a little more emphasis on running takes pressure off of them. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Dr Long Shot said:

C is the biggest question mark for me. LG I think we'll make due, feel very good about everyone else, especially now that we'll have some much improved scheming and coaching. But C is a legitimate area of concern. 

Before the draft  I wanted this guy.....

AUSTIN REITER

(Former Chief) Starting center Austin Reiter will become an unrestricted free agent when the period officially opens on March 17. When that happens, Reiter is expected to join another team per Pelissero.

Reiter has been the starter in Kansas City for the past two seasons after being picked up on waivers from the Cleveland Browns ahead of the 2018 season. He worked his way up to a starting gig in 2019 and never surrendered the job, though he did miss a few games with a knee injury in 2020.

Contrary to popular belief, Reiter was really solid for the Chiefs in 2020. He didn’t allow a single sack during the entire season and postseason, with just 11 total pressures on the year. You have to go all the way back to Super Bowl LIV to find the last time he surrendered a sack. Looking back on the season, he was the team’s most consistent performer on the offensive line and it was a career year in pass protection. It’s easy to see why he might fetch a deal in free agency that Kansas City would be unable to match.........

Edited by egoprime II