2021 Falcons Draft and analysis and what I would have done.

13 hours ago, coryb78 said:

slander

😆

I'm not sure I understand this thread.  You gave the Hall and Dalman picks an F because you thought they could've gone lower, but even with the benefit of hindsight, you have two guys that went undrafted as two of your picks?  Does that mean you give your own picks, after the draft, an F too?

1 hour ago, thanat0s said:

You made mention of the wheels coming off regarding the post r3 picks. To be honest here, that's where your piece falls apart.

I defy anyone to tell me that, after 100 picks are off the board, that they can say with any certainty that one guy is BPA over another. BPA works fine at the top of the draft, but it becomes wildly subjective after the first 15-20 guys come off the board.

That's why BPA means the BPA on a particular team's board, not BPA in general. Our BPA and Dallas' BPA could be entirely different guys.

I appreciate that we all have our opinions on who we would pick, and who we 'think' would be there later, but in reality, projected draft position will always be an unknowable thing. That same player we took as a 'reach' in your opinion (or mine), might've been the guy that the team picking right after us would've taken. 

Great post.  There is very clearly a universal leap between everyone's BPA and on what board they lie.  Great point.

I didn't want to read all the posts but it got so interestingly good.  No prisoners taken.  Seriously though...I don't believe there is an F in any part of this draft and MY BOARD went to crap after the first two rounds.  This draft was a refreshing departure from TD in the sense that you could certainly make a claim that BPA was every pick that ATLANTA drafted, not me from my Athlon, ESPN and CBS scouting tools.

OP....you probably should have been prepared for the heat.  It was fast and physical.  Unlike Dan Quinn's Falcons. 😂😂😂

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2021 at 8:53 PM, vitaman said:

The amount of vitriol here is uncalled for.

The OP took some time and thought to think like a GM.

Will be interesting to see how the picks in "both" drafts pan out.

Takes creativity and knowledge to specifically say why he liked or did not like a pick.

This is the kind of post that gets me thinking.

Strongly disagree with his analysis of the Dalman pick. I was surprised he lasted that long.

Don't know enough about Graham to comment.

I appreciate the calculated response, bud.  Like I said I put alot of time into who I like.  Doesn't mean that I am right or know anything more than anyone else.  It's just something that I like to do. 

On 5/18/2021 at 8:58 PM, athell said:

The problem here is a few things...

1.  You can't simply go the "he would have been here route" because every pick changes a ton of variables as Jesus pointed out

2.  Draft Grades in general are extremely dumb and we won't know true value for years.  They are worse than power rankings.

3.  4x F's screams of OP just didn't know the name which means it is automatically awful.  Dalman and Williams are hardly F's.  Dalman could be a day 1 starter and Williams is a ST ace immediatley.  Graham is a prototypical Pees guy, hardly an F.

4.  Acting like a baby when people dont agree with you is always gonna go over like a lead balloon here.

Draft grades are just me having fun and copying what alot of the experts do.  4 F's is how I personally graded them.  Am I right?  Who knows.  I am a Falcons fan of 30 years this season but I don't automatically sign off on just anything the franchise does.  If I didn't like a pick then I will say so.  I can't really say if Dalman is a day one starter or not.  You apparently grade him as one so we will see.  Williams is a ST ace?  Ok we will see.  I doubt it but who knows.  Acting like a baby is your assessment again.  Treat me with respect and you will get it.  Don't and you wont. 

On 5/18/2021 at 9:05 PM, gtech1 said:

This is one of the best trolls I've seen in a while.  Very nice.  

Trolling?  You don't even know what that word means apparently. You come at me and you will get it back.  Simple as that.  If I'm trolling I doubt I would have put in the time and the effort that I did but someone like you wouldn't pay any attention to that. 

On 5/18/2021 at 9:10 PM, CrimsonFalcon said:

Looks very much like a certain other posters real time draft. 

As pointed out,  there were a few guys that went undrafted that you selected... which to me makes this a fail. 

There are reasons that only a handful of people make the decisions for NFL franchises. 

Yeah it would have been alot easier on me to be dishonest and try to make my draft look more like a consensus but I wanted to be honest and say what I would have actually done.  I realize that drafting UDFA's doesn't exactly make me look, "good" but I'm not really worried about impressing anyone.  I put who I would have actually drafted and as I said before it certainly doesn't mean that I am right.  In fact a review of my past drafts is less than impressive but it's just my draft game that I like to do.  Didn't expect it to be so poorly received but I was aware that it could go this way.

On 5/18/2021 at 9:11 PM, Atl Falcon said:

Good draft but Dude I wouldn’t beat my chest about a POST DRAFT. Hard to earn respect after the fact unless you mocked this draft specifically. I doubt it nor did I see it. Those F bombs you handed out could very well come back and blow off your toe nails. 

I appreciate the feedback.  I'm not interested in being popular on these boards and I mean no disrespect by that but I honestly don't care.  I gave F's where I thought they fit.  Would love for them to all be A's in a few years looking back and I would love to be wrong.  I don't just automatically agree with the new regime and I don't disagree with them when it is popular to do so either. 

On 5/18/2021 at 9:18 PM, hjerry said:

Yep. Had this been a thread about a previous mock draft and how it compared, fine, but to say, well I would have done so and so, is to call out the FO's picks as wrong before they're even given a chance. Who gives a **** who you would have picked? You have no clue what the FO saw nor anything about this team or about any players which led them to make their picks. You had plenty of time during and around the draft to whine about how they didn't pick who you wanted.

Yeah you still don't have a clue what you are talking about when it comes to what I posted.  You are blinded by your own logic and belief of what I meant.  Take the rest of the thread off and find another one to complain about.  I'm sure it's not hard for you.

On 5/18/2021 at 10:44 PM, TheUsualStuff said:

These are the times I wished I logged in more often. I really would have wanted in on the front end of this one, but congrats to the first responders for a job well done.

Right here, bro.  Bring it.  "insert accusation of me being an internet tough guy here" now start.......

On 5/18/2021 at 10:53 PM, Herr Doktor said:

I enjoyed your logic.  And your argument was coherent.  I believe your F grades were harsh.  I understand your reasoning, but feel your evaluation was overly harsh.

Thanks for the feedback, man.

On 5/18/2021 at 11:29 PM, celtiksage said:

Well call me skeptical that is actually who you picked before the draft. Everyone pretty much was focused on Pitts at 4.

What makes me skeptical, is Darby. I can't really believe you picked Darby at 187 before the draft actually took place.

No this draft is who I would have picked with the draft playing out the way it did.  These are the players that I would have taken if given the chance.  I didn't do a draft before the draft.  I was just grading who we did draft and then stating who I would have taken. 

On 5/19/2021 at 1:15 AM, iDash said:

I'll Play...RE-DRAFT 2021

I normally make this thread every year, because TD sucked so bad at it!

4.   BPA RT- Penei Sewell- Solid RT until LT Matthews retires, RT McGary is a risk!

40. BPA CB Kelvin Joseph- Solid Player would step right in and start- Day 1 opposite A.J.

68. BPA- Edge/LB- Joseph Ossai- Motor doesn't Stop- can play anywhere on D

108-BPA- DT Tyler Shelvin- 350lb- BIG Grady Jr, we need a BIG center Basher bad!

114- BPA RB Rhamondre Stevenson- Future RB 1

148- S- Caden Sterns-4.4 Safety, needs work could be a GEM though

182-LG- Trey Smith- Without medical, he would've went way higher!

183-UGA C Trey Hill-Big Center, can move +++, U have to go around him that's for sure!

187- P Pressley Harvin III- Georgia Tech Punter-Harvin won the Ray Guy Award-48 yard average- Best College Punter

I would always save the last pick for the Best Local Georgia Boy!

While Doing this I saw the Bengals had a **** of a draft,

I almost picked their guys in every spot!

Nice!  I liked Trey Hill and Joseph Ossai as well!

On 5/19/2021 at 9:41 AM, thanat0s said:

You made mention of the wheels coming off regarding the post r3 picks. To be honest here, that's where your piece falls apart.

I defy anyone to tell me that, after 100 picks are off the board, that they can say with any certainty that one guy is BPA over another. BPA works fine at the top of the draft, but it becomes wildly subjective after the first 15-20 guys come off the board.

That's why BPA means the BPA on a particular team's board, not BPA in general. Our BPA and Dallas' BPA could be entirely different guys.

I appreciate that we all have our opinions on who we would pick, and who we 'think' would be there later, but in reality, projected draft position will always be an unknowable thing. That same player we took as a 'reach' in your opinion (or mine), might've been the guy that the team picking right after us would've taken. 

Yep I agree with what you said.  I actually think BPA is subjective no matter where you are in the draft but the deeper you get into the draft the more convoluted it becomes.  I also agree with your last point. Draft position is unknowable.  I remember thinking we hit paydirt when the Falcons picked the same guy as me in Lawrence Sidbury Jr..  Didn't quite work out.   haha

On 5/19/2021 at 9:52 AM, Mescalito said:

😆

I'm not sure I understand this thread.  You gave the Hall and Dalman picks an F because you thought they could've gone lower, but even with the benefit of hindsight, you have two guys that went undrafted as two of your picks?  Does that mean you give your own picks, after the draft, an F too?

It would have been easier for me to make myself look smart and take guys that got drafted but that would have been dis-honest.  The truth is what I put in front of you.  That's who I would have taken.  I'm not saying that I am right.  I also graded the Falcons picks because I like to do that. 

On 5/19/2021 at 11:43 AM, CrimsonFalcon said:

Also,  experts (term used loosely) had us with one of the best drafts in the league. 

Unfortunately their grades don't mean much either.  I don't remember for sure now and I don't care enough to look it up but for the most part the grades that came in that I saw were C+.

On 5/19/2021 at 11:40 AM, deester11 said:

I didn't want to read all the posts but it got so interestingly good.  No prisoners taken.  Seriously though...I don't believe there is an F in any part of this draft and MY BOARD went to crap after the first two rounds.  This draft was a refreshing departure from TD in the sense that you could certainly make a claim that BPA was every pick that ATLANTA drafted, not me from my Athlon, ESPN and CBS scouting tools.

OP....you probably should have been prepared for the heat.  It was fast and physical.  Unlike Dan Quinn's Falcons. 😂😂😂

I was on these boards way way way too much back in the late nineties and up until my dad passed in 2010.  After that I needed to lighten the stress in my life and these boards were toxic and still look to be.  I even got banned for even suggesting that I would like to punch "Gazoo" in the face a long long time ago. 

So I don't have much to do with this place because I don't like the attitudes of most of the people here and there are alot of kids and not enough repercussions.  Now with the JJ defenders coming up it's just like the days of Vick.  I just popped in to put this draft up and get feedback.  It was mostly negative and attacking which was always a possibility because I know what this place is all about.  I wont be around much so I don't really have a desire to be popular or banter with attackers or people just looking to step on someone.  I don't see any of the old faces anymore in here anyway.  There used to be a, "capologist" and a "DKB" who always defended Duckett against Dunn no matter what.  Seems like they have moved on too.

If the feedback in this post was constructive then I treated it as such and if it was attacking I treated it as such. 

54 minutes ago, coryb78 said:

Draft grades are just me having fun and copying what alot of the experts do.  4 F's is how I personally graded them.  Am I right?  Who knows.  I am a Falcons fan of 30 years this season but I don't automatically sign off on just anything the franchise does.  If I didn't like a pick then I will say so.  I can't really say if Dalman is a day one starter or not.  You apparently grade him as one so we will see.  Williams is a ST ace?  Ok we will see.  I doubt it but who knows.  Acting like a baby is your assessment again.  Treat me with respect and you will get it.  Don't and you wont. 

Did you really reply to all these?  Lmao get a life dude.

Couldn't help but realize how Drew Dalman kept gradually moving up the board as time went on. When he declared for the draft he was seen as a fringe 7th round guy. Then he began going up mock draft boards as people analyzed him more, up to the 6th, 5th, 4th, and even a borderline 3rd rounder right before the draft. He was universally seen as a good value by many. Who knows, had the draft been pushed back to June, maybe he'd have climbed into the Top 10 of Round 1 by then. 🤣

9 hours ago, coryb78 said:

It would have been easier for me to make myself look smart and take guys that got drafted but that would have been dis-honest.  The truth is what I put in front of you.  That's who I would have taken.  I'm not saying that I am right.  I also graded the Falcons picks because I like to do that. 

Fair enough