Olive Sagapolu added to roster

Falcons add DT Olive Sagapolu after rookie minicamp

The nimble big man must have impressed the Falcons at rookie minicamp, and now he’ll hope to stick on the final roster.

By Dave Choate  May 17, 2021, 9:02am EDT  

LSU v WisconsinPhoto by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images

The Falcons invited five tryout players to rookie minicamp, and one of them has turned that opportunity into a roster spot. As you may have seen yesterday, Atlanta added veteran Olive Sagapolu to the roster, giving them one more interesting player in a deep and intriguing defensive tackle group.

Sagapolu signed as an undrafted free agent out of Wisconsin, where he played nose tackle for four years and managed 10 tackles for loss and 6 sacks, with the Packers after the 2019 NFL Draft, spending some time there before joining the Detroit practice squad in late 2019. He spent part of the 2020 season in Detroit, as well, and has yet to appear in an NFL regular season game. If all goes well, that will change in Atlanta.

Obviously Sagapolu has to contend with a defensive line that is heavy on options, given the number of veterans here and Atlanta’s decision to add two more players in the 2021 NFL Draft. If the Falcons are intent on playing a lot of 3-4, however, Sagapolu could be one of the most logical candidates for a reserve role as a nose tackle in Dean Pees’ defense, as our own Kevin Knight notes.

Eric Robinson is a fan, as well.

It’s hard to go from tryout player to 53 man roster addition, but Sagapolu will at least bear watching under a new coaching staff that has stressed open competition across the roster. Atlanta certainly looks like a team that could use an athletic 24-year-old nose tackle, so give Sagapolu a warm welcome to Atlanta and we’ll see what kind of noise he ends up making this summer.

I like big & strong inside.  I mean we literally did nothing over recent years to affect Drew Brees who basically sat untouched & unthreatened behind his C & 2 G's while the Falcons did absolutely NOTHING to push the inside pocket.  I fully recognize the Aints loaded those Oline positions with really high quality, even probowl players.  But my gosh the guy had free reign.  Drew was basically a JAG when you could threaten his security.  Oh well, new era has begun.  Hope some of these guys materialize. 

2 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Lol... quote is from the link:

"Not only did the monkeys produce nothing but five total pages largely consisting of the letter 'S',[12] the lead male began striking the keyboard with a stone, and other monkeys followed by soiling it."

Sounds like Tatf members... too funny!

Posted (edited)

Big fan.  I spoke about it in the other Nose Tackle thread.  The guy is very athletic for 330 pounds. More active then you expect. Doesn't get gassed as quickly as you might think at that size. 

Like I said in the other thread, my nephew plays for Wisconsin so I haven't missed a game in the past few years.  Garnered a double at all times and got a few of those Wisconsin LBs overdrafted by keeping them clean. How many 330 pound dudes can do a standing backflip with ease?  Going to play a low budget Haloli Ngata role. Occupy 2 blockers and 2 gaps while keeping his LBs clean.  He is gonna surprise and I expect at the very least he's making the PS. 

Makes everything all mucked up in the middle. Exactly what the Falcons need.

Edited by gHost83

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

It looks like NT types are being brought in to compete. Interesting.

Both players sound a lot alike.... big NT types, been around the league for a bit, getting to that age and stage of thier development where they may come in and win a job.

Both guys are young, -and- vets.   Both may make the roster....

Edited by egoprime II

1 hour ago, gHost83 said:

Big fan.  I spoke about it in the other Nose Tackle thread.  The guy is very athletic for 330 pounds. More active then you expect. Doesn't get gassed as quickly as you might think at that size. 

Like I said in the other thread, my nephew plays for Wisconsin so I haven't missed a game in the past few years.  Garnered a double at all times and got a few of those Wisconsin LBs overdrafted by keeping them clean. How many 330 pound dudes can do a standing backflip with ease?  Going to play a low budget Haloli Ngata role. Occupy 2 blockers and 2 gaps while keeping his LBs clean.  He is gonna surprise and I expect at the very least he's making the PS. 

Makes everything all mucked up in the middle. Exactly what the Falcons need.

Wow, this guy has more INTs than the DBs TD and DQ had drafted over the years.....🙄

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, JDaveG said:

There is a Shakespearean monkey vibe going on with some of these signings and draft picks.

"Today, the Falcons signed defensive back Aboprpelcph Kelptolelcptoh!"

Hockey players.... an untapped resource!  Lots of tough guys there...

Edited by egoprime II