Do you think that Grady Jarrett will extend or restructure this off-season?

4 minutes ago, NorthGaBoy said:

No.  The Falcons want to see who makes the team and what it will cost.  They have plans that cover different financial needs.  Grady is probably in a couple of those.  His family is here.  His legacy is here. 

Need to at least have all of the draft picks signed by TC. Thats valuable time they're going to need

3 minutes ago, The Smart One said:

An extension would create the most cap room and likely would make the most sense as he’s a core piece of the defense. 

Locking in your best DT (and one of the best in the league) and freeing up 2021 cap space makes perfect sense. Locking the team into higher salary for x# of years may or may not be the right move. I think that is what they are trying to figure out.

11 hours ago, falcndave said:

Locking in your best DT (and one of the best in the league) and freeing up 2021 cap space makes perfect sense. Locking the team into higher salary for x# of years may or may not be the right move. I think that is what they are trying to figure out.

This.  This is a bit more complex than just asking him if he wants an extension.  Needless to say, Grady's folks KNOW that the Falcons are over a Barrell to a point with finances.  He already is well aware that he is key to making this work.

Negotiations will be complicated and delicate.  All the while, the Falcons will be looking at other ways to save money here and there.  

My guess, Grady signs an extension that will probably be ludicrous.

29 minutes ago, falcndave said:

The issue is how far do you want to go to making the team competitive this year. A restructure allows us to sign our draft class. An extension would let us go after a few of the quality FA on the market as well. 

2 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

This.  This is a bit more complex than just asked ngvhim if he wants an extension.  Needless to say, Grady's folks KNOW that the Falcons are over a Barrell to a point with finances.  He already is well aware that a he is key to making this work.

Negotiations will be complicated and delicate.  All the while, the Falcons will be looking at other ways to save money here and there.  

It could be a big extension that’s still team friendly cap wise as well though. 

3 hours ago, The Smart One said:

The issue is how far do you want to go to making the team competitive this year. A restructure allows us to sign our draft class. An extension would let us go after a few of the quality FA on the market as well. 

AS and TF both said the goal is the make the team competitive now and into the future.  Hence the complicated juggling act. I think what happens with Julio is probably the single biggest factor in when/if Grady gets his contract reworked. I expect this to linger on for a bit.

7 hours ago, falcndave said:

AS and TF both said the goal is the make the team competitive now and into the future.  Hence the complicated juggling act. I think what happens with Julio is probably the single biggest factor in when/if Grady gets his contract reworked. I expect this to linger on for a bit.

Most definitely.  They have to be in contact with both players representatives and are trying to make the best deals possible.  

Posted (edited)

He's big into the community, loves the ATL, rebuilt his family a new home here after it burned down, he and his dad run a foundation here, he’s super close with his mom, etc etc.

I seriously doubt he wants to leave Atlanta.

Almost certainly an extension is coming. He’s in his prime and good for at least another 3 seasons before a decline even begins.

I think we’re just waiting until after June 1st cuts to see what the FA market and cap casualties happen so we can make moves and then know with more certainty what our exact cap needs are.

Because with an extension, we can free up $5.8m just enough to sign the draft class, or we can free up upwards of even $9m if we decided to add another decent vet.

Same could be happening with Julio, too. Just waiting to see what exactly we need after June 1.

Edited by Beef

I think it will depend on Julio. If the rumors are true and he is getting moved post 6/1 then we may not do anything with Grady.

If Julio is staying then one has to assume Grady is doing a restructure or an extension. He is by far our best defensive player so I would hope to extend him a few years. He is still in the prime of his career.

Will he yes,  will it be an overpay on our end yes because he holds all the negotiation advantage.   He would be dumb not to Nickel and dime for all he can, his agent knows he's an elite talent.  Team pretty much has to restructure him or post June 1st trade a HOF WR to sign their rookies.  TF is gonna have to play ball or trade Julio and risk Jarrett hitting the open market next year. 

Hopefully we suck up the loss soon and get the boys into camp.  Big deals can hurt but missed TC time by rookies will hurt too.  He is young enough he will likely get solid value on his deal unless we go full on Saints and back pay him 200 mil over 7 years or something insane.

I'm wondering if both sides are waiting to see how well Grady fits in this defense and to see if everyone likes each other. 

I just have such a hard time imagining letting him walk. If the ridiculous generational freak that is Aaron Donald weren't in the league, then Grady would be in the conversation for best DT in the league. 

On 5/16/2021 at 7:08 PM, Herr Doktor said:

This.  This is a bit more complex than just asking him if he wants an extension.  Needless to say, Grady's folks KNOW that the Falcons are over a Barrell to a point with finances.  He already is well aware that he is key to making this work.

And he’ll be worth every penny. 

20 hours ago, andrews31cain21 said:

The Cap is really supposed to Balloon in 2023, so GJ may want to wait to see what the CAP is going to do.  Everyone getting pissed because we havent restructured or extended, but it takes two to agree to do it.  Maybe the hold up is GJ. 

Which takes time. Fans/media impatience notwithstanding, they will work it out.

I’m so sick of DLed. Yet again he was on the radio spewing ignorant drivel. This time with Dukes & Bell.

They ask him about Grady and he says Grady won’t fit in the 3-4 because he’s never played NT, and he’s supposedly also not right for a 3-4 DE either. And as a result DLed believes Grady wants to leave and TF is likely shopping him or will let him walk in FA.

What a crock.  Grady has easily played 30-35% of his total snaps in the 0-1i technique in DQ’s 4-3 Under formation.  That’s effectively a NT just with different jargon. So we’re talking thousands of snaps at NT in his career.

Not to mention, a 3-4 DE typically plays between the 3-5 technique. And Grady has played thousands of snaps at all those, too. Mostly the 4i.

Grady has rushed every freaking inside gap and faced every position on an OL while consistently facing double-teams, too.  It’s just asinine to suggest all this changes simply because we call our scheme a 3-4 instead of a 4-3 Under.

DLed also keeps insisting that it’s going to put us $13m over the cap to sign our draft class.  The guy doesn’t even know that only the top-51 are counted, and that only the top-5 draftees cost enough to fit in the top-51, and they only cost ~$6.2m after you drop the bottom-5 off the top-51.

So he’s STILL going on the radio saying we pretty much have to trade Julio because there’s no other way to free up $13 million. And now he’s also saying Grady likely gone soon too because he doesn’t fit the 3-4.

How does this insufferable ignorant clown have this job?!?

13 minutes ago, Beef said:

I’m so sick of DLed. Yet again he was on the radio spewing ignorant drivel. This time with Dukes & Bell.

They ask him about Grady and he says Grady won’t fit in the 3-4 because he’s never played NT, and he’s supposedly also not right for a 3-4 DE either. And as a result DLed believes Grady wants to leave and TF is likely shopping him or will let him walk in FA.

What a crock.  Grady has easily played 30-35% of his total snaps in the 0-1i technique in DQ’s 4-3 Under formation.  That’s effectively a NT just with different jargon. So we’re talking thousands of snaps at NT in his career.

Not to mention, a 3-4 DE typically plays between the 3-5 technique. And Grady has played thousands of snaps at all those, too. Mostly the 4i.

Grady has rushed every freaking inside gap and faced every position on an OL while consistently facing double-teams, too.  It’s just asinine to suggest all this changes simply because we call our scheme a 3-4 instead of a 4-3 Under.

DLed also keeps insisting that it’s going to put us $13m over the cap to sign our draft class.  The guy doesn’t even know that only the top-51 are counted, and that only the top-5 draftees cost enough to fit in the top-51, and they only cost ~$6.2m after you drop the bottom-5 off the top-51.

So he’s STILL going on the radio saying we pretty much have to trade Julio because there’s no other way to free up $13 million. And now he’s also saying Grady likely gone soon too because he doesn’t fit the 3-4.

How does this insufferable ignorant clown have this job?!?

If Aaron Donald fits in the 3-4, then so does Grady. DLed is taking too many cues from the Terence Moore playbook. It's less about real news or actual football knowledge and more about a headline or hot take. I get it. Controversial comments bring more attention to the articles and interviews. It's just tiring.

On 5/16/2021 at 2:47 PM, NorthGaBoy said:

No.  The Falcons want to see who makes the team and what it will cost.  They have plans that cover different financial needs.  Grady is probably in a couple of those.  His family is here.  His legacy is here. 

And they can continue to live here if he goes to play somewhere else.

This is a job and players will do what they have to do.

Before everyone gets too excited about any potential restructures how much do you think it will take to resign Ridley in a couple of years?