UDFA RB Javian Hawkins

Javian a baller and dude ran tough inside but the laws of physics still exist.  You see his limitations on film.  He just doesn't have a ton of contact power and as such he goes down on clean hits and while his pass pro technique is sound, he got overwhelmed easily.  Don't get me wrong, I love this kid and all the other traits he brings (even his character...great interview with some local podcaster on YouTube) and he did some endurance work at Louisville but he could get beat up like Ito (who is 10 lbs bigger).  Not saying he can't be Warrick Dunn but most guys his size end up being specialty backs.  Hoping he can be a legit RB1b or RB2.

5 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

Javian a baller and dude ran tough inside but the laws of physics still exist.  You see his limitations on film.  He just doesn't have a ton of contact power and as such he goes down on clean hits and while his pass pro technique is sound, he got overwhelmed easily.  Don't get me wrong, I love this kid and all the other traits he brings (even his character...great interview with some local podcaster on YouTube) and he did some endurance work at Louisville but he could get beat up like Ito (who is 10 lbs bigger).  Not saying he can't be Warrick Dunn but most guys his size end up being specialty backs.  Hoping he can be a legit RB1b or RB2.

If you can add a 4.4 speed back who can catch out of the backfield with Pitts, Julio, Ridley, and Hurst on the field. I really don't know how anyone can cover that speed.

9 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

He isn’t going to have to be a RB1. RB2 isn’t even a big work load and he’d be fine there. Splitting snaps with Ollie, CP, and Davis I think he’ll be fine.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Jesus said:

If you can add a 4.4 speed back who can catch out of the backfield with Pitts, Julio, Ridley, and Hurst on the field. I really don't know how anyone can cover that speed.

No "doubt" scheme is key to his success.  I would have told him to decline that offer if Koetter was still here but I think he could be a nice RB1b in a well-run O scheme.

Edit:  My "doubt" disappeared.

Edited by Monolith2001

The Phillip Lindsay comparison is a really good one. Super productive prior to joining Broncos as an UDFA.

He’s average 178 carries in 3 seasons and had 35 receptions in each of his first two seasons. 

That’s exactly the kind of role I see for him if he makes the team

For a guy like Huntley I can see why he wasn’t drafted.  He’s a bigger back that played at a smaller school and whose workout numbers don’t fly off the paper.  

In my eyes, there’s no reason Hawkins should’ve gone undrafted given the hype a lot of you guys are giving him.  I find him very one dimensional, and not necessarily impressive in that one area.

1 hour ago, Jesus said:

I believe he's actually faster than 4.4. I like his Twitter Handle. I'm calling him Hawk from now on. I believe this kid will be something special.

57 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

I do

30 minutes ago, Sui_Generis said:

I sure hope so. Will hopefully point towards a more dedicated approach to a sound run game. 

With no true bell cow this will be a RBBC approach. And if it produces, I'm here for it. 

I only ask because I know we will likely carry 4 TEs and 5 WRs.

What exactly does everyone getting so hyped for this guy see in him? He's under sized and not very strong. I just can't see him being much more than a gadget speed change of pace type of guy. Obviously I hope he's more than that, and I'll root for him regardless, but I'm having a hard time seeing all this potential.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Monolith2001 said:

The question is - will he be better than Ito? I hope....

Edited by Atl Falcon

15 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

I only ask because I know we will likely carry 4 TEs and 5 WRs.

I'm hoping that they don't carry 4 RBs just because they think that they should. If the talent isn't there, or if the value isn't there (ie/Special teams), then just carry more elsewhere. Keep the best 53. If a kid is a disposable level talent, then we can easily pick up someone of the same level from a PS or FA if we have an injury.

4 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

I don't know what to think of him.  Small, more than likely gadget only.  Maybe I am totally wrong and he's the second coming of Warrick Dunn.  

Warrick still had some jukes and moves.  This guy is just straight line/run to daylight 

This is also why I'm questioning whether Keith Smith should make the roster. A FB is used so rarely, and he rally doesn't provide anything as a runner or a pass catcher, or in any other way.

If we keep a FB, they need to either be an elite run blocker, or be able to play other spots.

1 hour ago, hjerry said:

This is also why I'm questioning whether Keith Smith should make the roster. A FB is used so rarely, and he rally doesn't provide anything as a runner or a pass catcher, or in any other way.

If we keep a FB, they need to either be an elite run blocker, or be able to play other spots.

Smith isn't even that good of a blocker. Just by the eye test he whiffed on quite a few blocks numerous times last year.

Perhaps John Raine or Parker Hesse is being groomed to be a fullback. Maybe not this year but for the future.