Clear Signs of a New Regime With Crystal Clear Vision

On 5/16/2021 at 10:36 AM, THEHEADCOACH said:

In 2016 I went to practice and saw Kyle Shanahan coaching the offense. At that moment, I felt like we were gonna be good that year on offense. He was coaching a lot different than any of our other coaches. He was coaching every position, every little move , every step, hand placement, and anything you could think of. He wasn't just standing on the sidelines barking orders. He was actively teaching. That's the kind of coaching that I want to see again. Across the board. I went back in 17, it was totally different. Disorganized, Sark standing on the sidelines bark orders, and like their was no direction and correction of the little mistakes. It showed.

Great insight. That's why dq teams finished 7-9 and 4-12.

All rah rah, but very little coaching. This regime is clearly about xs and os,attention to detail and accountability. And smith gives no one praise after practice. He makes them think they are still playing for their jobs

56 minutes ago, RazorWing said:

Great insight. That's why dq teams finished 7-9 and 4-12.

All rah rah, but very little coaching. This regime is clearly about xs and os,attention to detail and accountability. And smith gives no one praise after practice. He makes them think they are still playing for their jobs

And you can tell that from ROOKIE minicamp? Serious question. 

On 5/16/2021 at 12:58 AM, Robb4242 said:

There's always hope, excitement, and hype with a new regime.  But you are correct that it's hard to believe after all of the disappointments we've had over the years that this group will be any different than the past ones.  I personally can't buy into it anymore.  I'm always going to be excited for the new season but I can't believe anymore until I see results.   

I do like the hires, especially the coaching ones, much better than I have since Dan Reeves lost the power struggle with Vick.  Knowing I won't see DQ on our sideline is enough to make me smile every day.  And it does seem that the coaching staff and front office are working together for a change.  We were so disjointed in the DQ era and to a lesser degree in the MS era.  Too many chefs in the kitchen, each trying to stir the pot in a different direction the last few years.  So it does look like we could be on the right track, but I just have hope and not faith that we are.

Good to see you by the way, it's been a long time since I've been on here.

Personally, I liked the hiring of Reeves. He was a great transition piece under the last of the Smiths, and the piece we needed to get the Smiths out of the weeds, and eventually send us into the modern hierarchy of an NFL team.

I actually had fun with Glanville and Elvis and Johnny Cash and all that, but Smitty was the first coach I actually felt optimistic about until now. The Moras and Patrinos and DQs of the world were just trendy and faddish for me.

Now I don't necessarily see that the new staff/FO has a "crystal clear" vision - key words being 'crystal' and 'clear' - but I am highly optimistic again. It looks like they have a plan that's developing more and more over time, they are highly intelligent, probably smarter than any staff/FO we've had since I became a fan in the '70s, and they know how to bring in talent and try to generate it where it's thin (through competition and stacking position groups with lots of options, hoping someone will surprise or play above their means).

They seem able to adapt quickly and consistently without flipping and sinking the canoe. I think their high intelligence and football IQ will lead them to success even when they make mistakes.

I expect a year where we outperform expectations (like maybe 10-7 - okay, maybe not everyone's expectations), come close to a Wildcard if not secure one, and then a similar record in 2022 when parity kicks in and the opposition has a better idea of what to do against AS. But then I expect higher achievements and a clear identity to have emerged by 2023. This feels like the dawn of something new, better and sustainable with an actual Braintrust. I'm not sure previous staffs/FOs were as much of a braintrust as they were a brain aneurysm. 😅

I am excited for the future, but I don't expect to see all the relevance in decisions made until it is defined on the field (in the past things were predictable and made sense, until they didn’t).

1 hour ago, jetpac said:

And you can tell that from ROOKIE minicamp? Serious question. 

Yep. Doesn't matter which camp it is. When smith got there.  He said he will hold all players accountable. Especially the vets. That let's me know he will run all camps like that. I remember the Tennessee titans player Jonnu smith said he held him accountable day one. And he is a vet and one of their best players 

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

Actually, many if not most of the responses I see in that particular thread were critical of the OP’s take. 

Never said no one disagreed with him. The point was, just like this thread, it’s just way to premature. And it happens every year. Like let’s see it on the field before we start saying it’s this or that. 

10 minutes ago, jetpac said:

Never said no one disagreed with him. The point was, just like this thread, it’s just way to premature. And it happens every year. Like let’s see it on the field before we start saying it’s this or that. 

Here's the best approach. You fan your way. The next person fans the way they fan. That way you avoid getting into these types of arguments every single time you post. Easy peezy. Unless you just need to argue with someone every day

15 minutes ago, jetpac said:

Shame on these awful glass half- full fans who show a smidgen of optimism for the work new regime did this past offseason!  So you prefer TAFT continues its mindless regurgitation over and over again the countless ‘are we trading Julio?’ threads?

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Vandy said:

So you prefer TAFT continues its mindless regurgitation over and over again the countless ‘are we trading Julio?’ threads?

Yea I feel you on the Julio threads.

I think I’ve been clear in my posts. Can we actually see the product on field before the meaningless praise? “I.E. it’s clear to see the direction” blah blah blah. From what? An IG post from the media team? A fluff piece from ESPN? Optimism is great we’re all excited, I’ve said this. I’d just rather see it up close. 

Edited by jetpac

17 minutes ago, jetpac said:

It is not premature to analyze the present moment. You keep bouncing into the future which is why you are struggling so much.  There is nothing to fear in the present moment.

8 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Here's the best approach. You fan your way. The next person fans the way they fan. That way you avoid getting into these types of arguments every single time you post. Easy peezy. Unless you just need to argue with someone every day

Who am I arguing with? I’m lost. I didn’t even know I was in an argument. I simply made an observation. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, gazoo said:

It is not premature to analyze the present moment. You keep bouncing into the future which is why you are struggling so much.  There is nothing to fear in the present moment.

Struggling? You lost me. I feel you though, I’m envious you are able to enjoy the unknown. I for one will feel better about the team once I actually see what we are fielding. 

Edited by jetpac

2 minutes ago, jetpac said:

Who am I arguing with? I’m lost. I didn’t even know I was in an argument. I simply made an observation. 

Just looking at every interaction. Mostly talking about the tone. You're acting like people don't reserve the right to be optimistic, you even attempted to point out something I said last year about 2 months ago. I've done it to. You seem to do it in every single engagement that you have though. If you feel that's a bad observation, I apologize. Carry on though

3 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Just looking at every interaction. Mostly talking about the tone. You're acting like people don't reserve the right to be optimistic, you even attempted to point out something I said last year about 2 months ago. I've done it to. You seem to do it in every single engagement that you have though. If you feel that's a bad observation, I apologize. Carry on though

No need to apologize. I get where you're coming from. I feel people get extra sensitive if you don't carry the same level of enthusiasm as them. But ****, that's life. But nah, I ain't arguing with no one. I saw a ton of optimism last year only for us to go 0-5 to start the season. 

2 minutes ago, jetpac said:

No need to apologize. I get where you're coming from. I feel people get extra sensitive if you don't carry the same level of enthusiasm as them. But ****, that's life. But nah, I ain't arguing with no one. I saw a ton of optimism last year only for us to go 0-5 to start the season. 

Case in point, people are going to fan the way they want to fan. Every single year, no matter what, people have had the Falcons as pre season super bowl champs. That just comes with being a fan. Some overly optimistic, some cautiously optimistic. Regardless, we all want the same exact thing

18 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Case in point, people are going to fan the way they want to fan. Every single year, no matter what, people have had the Falcons as pre season super bowl champs. That just comes with being a fan. Some overly optimistic, some cautiously optimistic. Regardless, we all want the same exact thing

Agreed 100%.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, jetpac said:

Struggling? You lost me. I feel you though, I’m envious you are able to enjoy the unknown. I for one will feel better about the team once I actually see what we are fielding. 

I don't think it's the unknown people are excited about. Its the things we know that excites the fans....

Let's look at what we know... 

1. We got a new offensive minded coach with a different attitude and who's coaching style is different.

2. We got a new gm and people are pleased with the players he brought in. Everyone is excited to see how it plays out.

3. We are undefeated!! 

4. We have just as much of a chance at a superbowl at this point, as any team. 

5. We got a lot of new players on the roster, everyone is excited to see who makes the final roster.

6. This new coaching staff and GM Haven't gave anyone any reason to doubt them yet. So they feel good about the choices they are making.

There are a lot of changes, that in itself feels good and gives fans a reason to be optimistic and excited. That's part of being a fan. No one has started sewing gold jackets for these guys.

Edited by THEHEADCOACH

The key word(s) here are that you seem to be “lost”.

I agree, you are.  Because you seem unable to fathom the optimism & positive excitement over TF & AS. 

For whatever reason, you have taken it upon yourself to be the reminder of past gloom.  The ghost of Falcon’s past if you will lol.  
I’ve noticed it has reached a point of irritation because for the lions share of posters, we’re fully aware of our past misfortune.  The very fact that a new regime is in place is reason enough to be excited & hopeful.  
And yet your insistent reminders of a failed past isn’t necessarily helpful or needed or wanted.  
You admitted you are excited too so this passive aggressive stuff is sort of childish imho.  
I have a hunch you know you’re walking up to the edge between badgering & abrasiveness, then pretending that isn’t your intention.  Again I say, you’re assuming folks here aren’t smart enough to recognize  this behavior, when we do.

but but but “I never”... yes you did.  

On 5/15/2021 at 8:43 PM, Frank_The_Tank said:

We said the same thing about the last regime when they came in with the brotherhood themes and renewed energy.

The real reason most people brought into DQ was only because the Seahawks had just come off a Super Bowl run, that they only loss because of a bad offensive call. The Falcons offense was able to putt up points on any defense but couldn't get stops on defense. This made the hire seem like a match made in heaven. All we had to do was fix the D and let Ryan do his thing.

Now if you go back and watch DQ's introductory interview it was clear that he had no clue what he was doing, no vision or leadership, the more influence he had on this roster and staff the worse it became. Watch film of 2019 the games we won are the games he didn't have a playsheet in his hands. We won games despite of him not because of him. 

This staff is completely different Arthur Smith is a good coach and we will have a much better team then we've had over the last 4-5 years THIS SEASON. This schedule is kind of rough but this team can win 9 to 11 games. TD was stripped of his GM duties in 2014 so having an actual GM again is really going to turn this franchise around. We drafted several really good players and made some good FA signings. This team is going to surprise alot of people this year. 

11 hours ago, B_Lo_Touchdowns said:

The real reason most people brought into DQ was only because the Seahawks had just come off a Super Bowl run, that they only loss because of a bad offensive call. The Falcons offense was able to putt up points on any defense but couldn't get stops on defense. This made the hire seem like a match made in heaven. All we had to do was fix the D and let Ryan do his thing.

Now if you go back and watch DQ's introductory interview it was clear that he had no clue what he was doing, no vision or leadership, the more influence he had on this roster and staff the worse it became. Watch film of 2019 the games we won are the games he didn't have a playsheet in his hands. We won games despite of him not because of him. 

This staff is completely different Arthur Smith is a good coach and we will have a much better team then we've had over the last 4-5 years THIS SEASON. This schedule is kind of rough but this team can win 9 to 11 games. TD was stripped of his GM duties in 2014 so having an actual GM again is really going to turn this franchise around. We drafted several really good players and made some good FA signings. This team is going to surprise alot of people this year. 

I have no idea how you're so confident in Arthur Smith as you are, when all things being equal, he is coming in with the same amount of head coaching experience as DQ? I'm not saying that he isn't or won't turn out to be a better coach than DQ, but what I am saying is I don't understand the automatic confidence in a guy, just based on talk and optics? I want to see how the team plays as a unit before I anoint this guy. I get the optimism, but given our track record as an organization I'd rather just give it a good year before going down that path with Arthur Smith.

13 hours ago, THEHEADCOACH said:

I don't think it's the unknown people are excited about. Its the things we know that excites the fans....

Let's look at what we know... 

1. We got a new offensive minded coach with a different attitude and who's coaching style is different.

2. We got a new gm and people are pleased with the players he brought in. Everyone is excited to see how it plays out.

3. We are undefeated!! 

4. We have just as much of a chance at a superbowl at this point, as any team. 

5. We got a lot of new players on the roster, everyone is excited to see who makes the final roster.

6. This new coaching staff and GM Haven't gave anyone any reason to doubt them yet. So they feel good about the choices they are making.

There are a lot of changes, that in itself feels good and gives fans a reason to be optimistic and excited. That's part of being a fan. No one has started sewing gold jackets for these guys.

You had me at undefeated! lol I can get behind that. We are all 0-0 right now. Agreed. We do have new players on the roster, I still have no idea where our pass rush is going to come from. New Coaching staff does bring hope, BUT I wanna see it bro. Like I've said though, I'm excited as ****. But I'm just not ready to crown them after Rookie Minicamp.

12 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

The key word(s) here are that you seem to be “lost”.

I agree, you are.  Because you seem unable to fathom the optimism & positive excitement over TF & AS. 

For whatever reason, you have taken it upon yourself to be the reminder of past gloom.  The ghost of Falcon’s past if you will lol.  
I’ve noticed it has reached a point of irritation because for the lions share of posters, we’re fully aware of our past misfortune.  The very fact that a new regime is in place is reason enough to be excited & hopeful.  
And yet your insistent reminders of a failed past isn’t necessarily helpful or needed or wanted.  
You admitted you are excited too so this passive aggressive stuff is sort of childish imho.  
I have a hunch you know you’re walking up to the edge between badgering & abrasiveness, then pretending that isn’t your intention.  Again I say, you’re assuming folks here aren’t smart enough to recognize  this behavior, when we do.

but but but “I never”... yes you did.  

The Ghost of Falcons past lol touché on that one.

All that passive aggressive, angry, aggy etc. nah. My day is full as is. This is TAFT, so I share my thoughts on my favorite team. If that annoys you or offends you. Block me. No worries and no issues this way.