Clear Signs of a New Regime With Crystal Clear Vision

*this post is not a prediction of future events, rather, a snapshot of the present moment. 

The signs are everywhere that this new regime has its act together.

Listening to these position coaches talk about the roles of their players with such specificity. Listening the TF and AS speak about the players they drafted, they clearly had big targets they were going after for specific roles that will be broadened if they can handle their intended responsibilities.

There is a totally different vibe coming out of Flowery Branch and even the national media and local reporters are picking up on it. In past years, I will never forget Smitty and Nolan contradicting each other on what type of defense we were implementing, AND THIS WAS DURING FREAKING PRESEASON. I knew we were screwed whannthat happened. How does your GM get you target specific players if you don’t have a crystal clear vision of what you are going to do?

In past years camps were sloppy and loose, just this rookie mini camp we are already hearing everything has tightened up. There is clear vision, clearly roles for many of these players which will expand, others they were moving around to see where they might best fit.

This was the first draft I recall where each pick will be able to contribute if they handle their primary roles. Take Avery Williams for example, this guy could be a difference maker THIS YEAR. He’s a real special teams baller and I’m surprised he was still there at 5. But they have bigger plans for him once he gets his primary job down. Frank Darby, a 6th round pick could also have a role in special situations.

These are not your daddies Falcons, a lot has changed for the better, it’s tangible. 

Posted (edited)

We said the same thing about the last regime when they came in with the brotherhood themes and renewed energy.

It worked for a couple years but it goes to show that it takes something more tangible than slogans and taglines to build a team and establish a new culture.

With that said, I too hope you're right. I'm just not going to get myself caught up in the talking aspect of generating energy. I want to see it on the field.

Edited by Frank_The_Tank

1 hour ago, Frank_The_Tank said:

We said the same thing about the last regime when they came in with the brotherhood themes and renewed energy.

It worked for a couple years but it goes to show that it takes something more tangible than slogans and taglines to build a team and establish a new culture.

With that said, I too hope you're right. I'm just not going to get myself caught up in the talking aspect of generating energy. I want to see it on the field.

You are conflating the typical hype of each new regime with what my post keyed in on that is very specific and indeed unique. 

You never heard me say either of the last two regimes with DQ or MS  were this organized with such crystal clear vision at this point in their rookie seasons.  I did see Kyle Shanahan his second season(2016)  having clear vision on Odense and second game of preseason I predicted we would have a prolific offense.

Ive always had tons of outstanding questions at this point in any given offseason about our players roles for instance. 

I’ve never been of the opinion our OTAs and training camps have been this tightened down where there is a clear cut vision.

Im not the only one that sees this. The reporters out of camp are also seeing it. 

The national media is also seeing something different, concluding our UDFA targets were the best crop in the NFL. That doesn’t mean they will be, it only means the national media is taking notice at this point. 

13 minutes ago, Frank_The_Tank said:

Reporters are human too, they're optimists like the rest of us. Looking for any resemblance of a different approach from the last regime.

I'm not saying you're wrong by any means. Let's just hopes whatever it is you're seeing translates.

Understood. It’s hard to believe after so many disappointments. 

2 hours ago, gazoo said:

The signs are everywhere that this new regime has its act together.

Listening to these position coaches talk about the roles of their players with such specificity. Listening the TF and AS speak about the players they drafted, they clearly had big targets they were going after for specific roles that will be broadened if they can handle their intended responsibilities.

There is a totally different vibe coming out of Flowery Branch and even the national media and local reporters are picking up on it. In past years, I will never forget Smitty and Nolan contradicting each other on what type of defense we were implementing, AND THIS WAS DURING FREAKING PRESEASON. I knew we were screwed whannthat happened. How does your GM get you target specific players if you don’t have a crystal clear vision of what you are going to do?

In past years camps were sloppy and loose, just this rookie mini camp we are already hearing everything has tightened up. There is clear vision, clearly roles for many of these players which will expand, others they were moving around to see where they might best fit.

This was the first draft I recall where each pick will be able to contribute if they handle their primary roles. Take Avery Williams for example, this guy can be a difference maker THIS YEAR. He’s a real special teams baller and I’m surprised he was still there at 5. But they have bigger plans for him once he gets his primary job down. Frank Darby, a 6th round pick could also have a role in special situations.

These are not your daddies Falcons, a lot has changed for the better, it’s tangible. 

I hope so gazoo I hope so..

Been an absolutely miserable time for the past 3 years. Watching Atlanta Falcons football is my absolute favorite thing to do. It has been a chore to sit through these past few years. I can’t wait to have a serious contender team. I don’t think it will be this year. But I hope it’s soon.

I want a Super Bowl. Anything less is meaningless.  

Thanks for your insight "Zoo" 

I've been on this board for a lot of years (since the early Vick years, when I was an expat in Ireland) with several different user names (because of board updates and dead laptops) I regularly posted with you, Tandy, and Banker Bird, and many other old school members. I don't post much any more, but really appreciate the insight from you, KOG and others! Now living in "Aints" country is like living in Ireland, and this board is my primary source of info on the birds!

14 minutes ago, RYNE said:

Been an absolutely miserable time for the past 3 years. Watching Atlanta Falcons football is my absolute favorite thing to do. It has been a chore to sit through these past few years. I can’t wait to have a serious contender team. I don’t think it will be this year. But I hope it’s soon.

I want a Super Bowl. Anything less is meaningless.  

Until the defense is fixed we can only go so high.its going to be a multi year fix anyway and I hate that..I don't think julio will be here in 2 years.

17 minutes ago, NCCooley said:

Thanks for your insight "Zoo" 

I've been on this board for a lot of years (since the early Vick years, when I was an expat in Ireland) with several different user names (because of board updates and dead laptops) I regularly posted with you, Tandy, and Banker Bird, and many other old school members. I don't post much any more, but really appreciate the insight from you, KOG and others! Now living in "Aints" country is like living in Ireland, and this board is my primary source of info on the birds!

Good to hear from you my brother! Yes, this message board will keep you up to date on things. I used to be a breaking news  hound here, but many have taken that role up and I just do analysis most of the time. Domt eat too many crawdaddies!

19 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

I feel cohesive moves.  Everything feels legitimate.  Controlled.  Like an actual plan being thought about and followed through on.  I'm loving it.

Very nice, a response that recognizes my OP was about the present moment and not predicting the future. 

37 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

I feel cohesive moves.  Everything feels legitimate.  Controlled.  Like an actual plan being thought about and followed through on.  I'm loving it.

And it’s happening on both sides of the ball and front office. 

One thing I saw recently that differentiates this regime from anything I’ve seen since Reeves was here was when Smith was asked about Frank Darby saying if no one else sets the tone he will. Mora, Smith, Dimitroff, McKay and Quinn would have gushed about such a great attitude. That’s what we’re looking for. Etc. 

Smith said “let’s see if Frank can line up where he’s supposed to and run his route correctly and then we’ll see what kind of tone he sets.”

No nonsense. Didn’t tear the player down, but he ain’t crowning a 6th round rookie as team captain either. It was a great response. 

For me, the game of football has never been won by who has the best slogan, bravado or gimmick.  It's ugly sometimes (run...run..run some more)' it's beautiful (play action...confusing the opponent....being faster...etc).  If you need the Brotherhood theme, the "fast and physical" pump up,..it's always a short term proposition.  When you're losing..who wants to hear slogans?

While I hold my optimism at arms length, a few differences started via the draft.  Philosophy differences focused on BPA and good collaborative efforts.  I'm already a fan of that. The players drafted look the part in glorified walk throughs, but how quickly this team buys into Smith's vision and message will be key. I have optimism.  

4 hours ago, Frank_The_Tank said:

It takes people fearing for their job. 

26 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

One thing I saw recently that differentiates this regime from anything I’ve seen since Reeves was here was when Smith was asked about Frank Darby saying if no one else sets the tone he will. Mora, Smith, Dimitroff, McKay and Quinn would have gushed about such a great attitude. That’s what we’re looking for. Etc. 

Smith said “let’s see if Frank can line up where he’s supposed to and run his route correctly and then we’ll see what kind of tone he sets.”

No nonsense. Didn’t tear the player down, but he ain’t crowning a 6th round rookie as team captain either. It was a great response. 

That quote stuck out to me as well.  He’s all about what they do over what they say. I also noted when he was asked about Pitts, he had same reaction of, it’s all going to be about what he does. There was a certain level playing field with all his rookies. 

Another thing I liked is he held carrots our for a lot of his players. He was saying if they can handle their assigned roles, they can be expanded. It was all about do what you have in front of you well and you will be rewarded.

30 minutes ago, deester11 said:

For me, the game of football has never been won by who has the best slogan, bravado or gimmick.  It's ugly sometimes (run...run..run some more)' it's beautiful (play action...confusing the opponent....being faster...etc).  If you need the Brotherhood theme, the "fast and physical" pump up,..it's always a short term proposition.  

Yeah, that rah rah stuff was really getting old. It never led to anything but further misery.