Schedule makers screwed us in this aspect...

With 17 games becoming the new norm, its obvious we will have seasons with more road games than home games, and vice versa. 

The issue comes with our overseas game. If we are having scheduled 8 home and 9 road games(which is the case), than why the heck is the overseas game a "home" game, when were already behind the 8 ball in that category? Then throw in we have a VERY early BYE week, and thank god we have a favorable schedule to start strong hopefully. A strong start will dictate amy chance we have at returning to the playoffs in 2021. 

13 minutes ago, texasfalconfan said:

Do season ticket holders get a psl refund when one of the home games is out of the country? I’m sure they do t have to pay for that game ticket but why should they pay for the license for a full season if they are cheated out of a home game 

it doesnt work that way.  The PSL is the license for the seat rights.

If the Falcons have a home playoff game (which is basically an extra game), the PSL fee doesnt increase.  However you do retain your right to your licensed seat(s).

3 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Thats a perfect example of why I don't believe in home field advantage. If it was a real thing every team would have been going 8-8 every year. 

Exactly, and instead it's been 4 years since they had a winning record at home.

4 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Thats a perfect example of why I don't believe in home field advantage. If it was a real thing every team would have been going 8-8 every year. 

I do believe in home field advantage, but it is only one advantage in the weight of the results.

If all other criteria were even, I think you would see the home field as an advantage at play more often

Posted (edited)

Home field advantage is more than just fans.  It has to do with travel.  It's been proven time and time again that travel especially west to east is a huge disadvantage come game day.   More traveling also means less recovery time for our players.  Our training staff better be on it with 9 road games an international game and an early season bye our depth will be tested.  If we aren't properly prepared we could be running a MASH unit by years end.

We don't have a single set of consecutive Home games that hurts a lot because of the nature of travel.  It means less time to heal and work on other things.  Every other team in the division has the luxury of 14 straight days at home twice going into next year.  Add in an international game and a December road trip to Buffalo and its hard not to feel we got a little f***** by the schedulers

Edited by #84

17 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

There are many examples in sports and elsewhere of "real" disadvantages being overcome. That doesn't mean they aren't real. Game location is only one factor, and its not that difficult to offset. It is, however, statistically real. 

31 minutes ago, texasfalconfan said:

Do season ticket holders get a psl refund when one of the home games is out of the country? I’m sure they do t have to pay for that game ticket but why should they pay for the license for a full season if they are cheated out of a home game 

You get refunded for the game's ticket price as a credit or refund, but not sure about the PSL aspect. I'd guess your financed payment would stay the same. Kinda BS though. You should get refunded a prorated amount of your PSL cost for games lost.

3 minutes ago, falcndave said:

There are many examples in sports and elsewhere of "real" disadvantages being overcome. That doesn't mean they aren't real. Game location is only one factor, and its not that difficult to offset. It is, however, statistically real. 

The better team wins on GameDay. It's that simple. There's not a thing in this world that will make me think otherwise. 

15 minutes ago, RetroRoq said:

I do believe in home field advantage, but it is only one advantage in the weight of the results.

If all other criteria were even, I think you would see the home field as an advantage at play more often

I don't believe in it. Never have, never will

22 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

The better team wins on GameDay. It's that simple. There's not a thing in this world that will make me think otherwise. 

I don't want to change you mind. I don't think the best team always win. I don't think the best people always succeed. I don't think you always reap what you sow. I believe all of those things are generally correct, but there is just a certain randomness to all things I've observed over 54 years. 

--Edit: My statement is based on a one event/game sample size. Over time I think all of those things become more universally true. 

1 minute ago, falcndave said:

I don't want to change you mind. I don't think the best team always win. I don't think the best people always succeed. I don't think you always reap what you sow. I believe all of those things are generally right, but there is just a certain randomness to all things I've observed over 54 years.

Troof

1 minute ago, falcndave said:

I don't want to change you mind. I don't think the best team always win. I don't think the best people always succeed. I don't think you always reap what you sow. I believe all of those things are generally right, but there is just a certain randomness to all things I've observed over 54 years.

That's the thing. That's your opinion. I got no problem with your opinion. I'd believe it was real if every team went 8-8 yearly. 

Home field advantage isn't the most important thing.  The Dolphins and Jets of the 2010's aren't going to beat the Pats of the 2010's because of what field they're on.

But it makes about a 2 point difference which is relevant in today's NFL.  If you played 16 games at home instead of 16 away, you'd expect to win 1 more game or so.

Is it bigger than coaching?  No.  Is it bigger than your QB?  No.  But it counts.

Big part of football, due to the 1 game series, is luck...luck of the bounce and luck of injuries.

All you can do is go out and do your best.  You don't control luck or injuries, you just hope to put yourself in the position to take advantage of them, or not be as badly damaged by them.

This is the no excuses falcons... play the cards you're dealt, be thankful for everything including your challenges, and go do the best that you can.  

The "being screwed" mentality is not healthy in every facet of life & every industry or profession.  Easier said than done but it's true nevertheless.  Not a dig at OP, he was making an observation.  I just don't like the choice of words maybe.