Here’s why we won’t trade Julio

12 hours ago, matty72780 said:

Julio Jones has 3 years left on his contract, the guys only 32. 

Cap Hit: 2021 $15m, 2022 $11m, 2023 $11m

2019: 99 receptions (2nd most in the last 4 years for him), 1400+ yards

2020: Hurt for much of the year so the rumor mill of him “regressing” is at an all time high. 

If we were to trade Julio his value is at an all-time low. EVERYONE at Flowery Branch knows Julio is a genetic FREAK. He’s cut from the same cloth of the Larry Fitz, Randy Moss, Jerry Rice and Terrell Owens of the world. What all those guys have in common is they still played at a #1 WR level into their mid-30’s because of how well they conditioned - Julio is no different. Why would we sell a superstar WR at an all-time low in value with an entirely new coaching staff looking to win NOW!? Salary cap blah blah blah, that’s complete BS, we have $4.1m in cap space which isn’t a lot but trading Julio leaves a massive hole in this offense and immediately makes Ridley & Pitts less productive - there is 0% chance we trade Julio, there’s probably a negative percent chance because our goal is to win NOW and having Julio on the field gives us a much better chance than having money in the bank. Players get injured, it’s the NFL, but this is the first time in 6 straight years Julio hasn’t eclipsed 1400 yards and 80+ receptions. 

I get it, the talking heads need content and they pump and beat rumors to death, but this team wants to win, Julio is worth every penny and this entire front office and coaching staff knows it. Dont believe the hype! 

Julio will have 80+ catches, 1300+ yards in 2021 in a Falcons uniform, mark it down now. Then, if we still want to “take calls” about him his value completely changes from what it is today. 

#RISEUP

His cap hits are 20+ million a year for the next 3.Hes gone after this year imo

Posted (edited)

Fact: Julio Jones is an immense talent and the Falcons offence is immeasurably better when he plays. 

Fact: Julio Jones has a long injury history and even when he plays he is often hurt. That’s not going to change as he gets older, likely the opposite. He can’t be counted on to play week to week. 

Fact: Falcons are in big time cap trouble due to poor FA signings and Falcon For Life contracts courtesy of previous management. Julio Jones has a tradable contract based on cap hit to a team that trades for him and his contract notably wasn’t renegotiated by the new administration. 

Speculation: 70% chance Julio gets traded. I’d like to see the return include a good young receiver on a cheap contract and a high draft pick. If he doesn’t get traded I sure hope he stays healthy, otherwise it’s the worst of both worlds. 

Just my 2 cents. 

Edited by EpicBird

12 hours ago, matty72780 said:

Julio Jones has 3 years left on his contract, the guys only 32. 

Cap Hit: 2021 $15m, 2022 $11m, 2023 $11m

2019: 99 receptions (2nd most in the last 4 years for him), 1400+ yards

2020: Hurt for much of the year so the rumor mill of him “regressing” is at an all time high. 

If we were to trade Julio his value is at an all-time low. EVERYONE at Flowery Branch knows Julio is a genetic FREAK. He’s cut from the same cloth of the Larry Fitz, Randy Moss, Jerry Rice and Terrell Owens of the world. What all those guys have in common is they still played at a #1 WR level into their mid-30’s because of how well they conditioned - Julio is no different. Why would we sell a superstar WR at an all-time low in value with an entirely new coaching staff looking to win NOW!? Salary cap blah blah blah, that’s complete BS, we have $4.1m in cap space which isn’t a lot but trading Julio leaves a massive hole in this offense and immediately makes Ridley & Pitts less productive - there is 0% chance we trade Julio, there’s probably a negative percent chance because our goal is to win NOW and having Julio on the field gives us a much better chance than having money in the bank. Players get injured, it’s the NFL, but this is the first time in 6 straight years Julio hasn’t eclipsed 1400 yards and 80+ receptions. 

I get it, the talking heads need content and they pump and beat rumors to death, but this team wants to win, Julio is worth every penny and this entire front office and coaching staff knows it. Dont believe the hype! 

Julio will have 80+ catches, 1300+ yards in 2021 in a Falcons uniform, mark it down now. Then, if we still want to “take calls” about him his value completely changes from what it is today. 

#RISEUP

Julio has a BOLT in his foot 🦶🏾 

that is different

7 minutes ago, EpicBird said:

Fact: Julio Jones is an immense talent and the Falcons offence is immeasurably better when he plays. 

Fact: Julio Jones has a long injury history and even when he plays he is often hurt. That’s not going to change as he gets older, likely the opposite. He can’t be counted on to play week to week. 

Fact: Falcons are in big time cap trouble due to poor FA signings and Falcon For Life contracts courtesy of previous management. Julio Jones has a tradable contract based on cap hit to a team that trades for him and his contract notably wasn’t renegotiated by the new administration. 

Speculation: 70% chance Julio gets traded. I’d like to see the return include a good young receiver on a cheap contract and a high draft pick. If he doesn’t get traded I sure hope he stays healthy, otherwise it’s the worst of both worlds. 

Just my 2 cents. 

Yes it’s hard to say goodbye but it really does make sense to trade Julio - even though I would like to see him one more year in this offense because it would be a show.

Even if we keep Julio this year, it’s likely his last year with the team.  He is depreciating asset on a team that likely won’t contend for a few years.   This roster is under massive reconstruction and we are changing both offensive and defensive schemes.

If you aren’t going to the SuperBowl and contending at the top level - not just a fringe playoff team - better to trade Julio now while he still has trade value.   Another year older and the value is lower - regardless how he would play in 2021 vs the down/hurt 2020yr.

1 hour ago, texasfalconfan said:

I’m curious as to how many games he has missed per year of his career. Although he is a freak talent wise he just has missed way to many games over his career. If a team is stupid enough to give us a 1 for him take it. Chance are he will be injured again this year. Imagine paying 1/7 your entire cap for a player who out due to injury.

Maybe another interesting stat would be how many games he played injured as a decoy. Too many for my liking. And that maybe kept him dinged up too.

1 hour ago, nutsandbolts said:

Maybe another interesting stat would be how many games he played injured as a decoy. Too many for my liking. And that maybe kept him dinged up too.

I agree it’s hard to count those but I looked it up and he has missed 25 regular season games in his career. That’s a season and a half. Again not counting the games he was active but kept out or used as a decoy

6 hours ago, Beef said:

After signing the draft picks and getting McCarron’s numbers, we are currently $5.77m OVER the cap.

($10.149m top-5 of draft class - $3.9m bottom 5 of top-51 - $482k cap space = $5.767m)

Which, really, is nothing to fret over. Seriously, it’s going to be incredibly easy to get under the cap from there.

Gono is $3.5m, Oliver is $2.2m, Senat is $900k, Keith Smith is $700k. All could be cut or restructured.

Plus Julio’s contract could easily be extended/restructured to free upwards of $8m this year, and Grady’s could be extended/restructured to free upwards of $7m this year, with minimal increases to the next 2+ years.

Anyone saying we MUST trade Julio because of the cap issues is either ignorant or just pushing for clicks and shock-value. It simply isn’t close to true.

Exactly. Da bucs ain't worried about no cap lol

2 hours ago, texasfalconfan said:

I agree it’s hard to count those but I looked it up and he has missed 25 regular season games in his career. That’s a season and a half. Again not counting the games he was active but kept out or used as a decoy

Run that on Matt Ryan and we see what a durable QB Matt has been. He has missed 3 starts in his career? That is what I find.

5 hours ago, EpicBird said:

$5.77m over is “big time cap trouble”??

Where is that written?

Or did you think it was much more because the media made it sound much worse than it really is?

And, how does Julio have a “tradable contract”?

You realize trading him still leaves us with loads of dead cap space, right? It’s a terrible solution compared to simply restructuring him or even a mild extension.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Beef said:

$5.77m over is “big time cap trouble”??

Where is that written?

Or did you think it was much more because the media made it sound much worse than it really is?

And, how does Julio have a “tradable contract”?

You realize trading him still leaves us with loads of dead cap space, right? It’s a terrible solution compared to simply restructuring him or even a mild extension.

Watch Fontenot’s interview on the team’s website - he clearly says the team is over the cap before signing any draft picks and still has hard decisions to make. I’ll take his word over yours. 

His dead cap hit is lower than his cap hit post June 1, and because of the structure (salary without unabsorbed bonus) would be $15 descending to $11 million - definitely tradable for a team with cap room for a receiver of his caliber. Extending him balloons his cap hit down the road - if Ryan, Deion, and Matthew’s hadn’t been extended I’d be inclined to agree with you. There’s a reason why Julio wasn’t extended.

Better to aim before you shoot. 

Edited by EpicBird

13 hours ago, EpicBird said:

Watch Fontenot’s interview on the team’s website - he clearly says the team is over the cap before signing any draft picks and still has hard decisions to make. I’ll take his word over yours. 

His dead cap hit is lower than his cap hit post June 1, and because of the structure (salary without unabsorbed bonus) would be $15 descending to $11 million - definitely tradable for a team with cap room for a receiver of his caliber. Extending him balloons his cap hit down the road - if Ryan, Deion, and Matthew’s hadn’t been extended I’d be inclined to agree with you. There’s a reason why Julio wasn’t extended.

Better to aim before you shoot. 

You really believe Font is going to tell the world his plans in an interview? Really?

And FYI....the cap will go up substantially in 2022. 

Nobody out there in talking head works and certainly not in here in navel-gazer works has a clue what falcons are going to do with Julio. Just like none of ya’ll had a clue on falcons supposedly taking a QB at 4. 

Ya’ll just keep shooting yourselves in the foot. 

3 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Nothing’s 100% in life other than death.

However all the signs, deeds, actions and words emanating from Flowery 🌺 Branch point towards Julio being traded.

70/30 he gone

Like we were gonna draft a QB at 4 a month ago? 😊

Ya’ll act like a bunch of drunk old women gossiping at their weekly bridge club gatherings.

52 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Ya’ll like a bunch of drunk old women gossiping at their weekly bridge club gatherings.

Drafting a QB was a possibility.  It was never more than a 50/50 proposition.

Flowery Branch going out of their way to mention Julio and the cap in connected sentences.  Flowery Branch - that didn’t leak all draft season on draft intentions,  suddenly leaks like a submarine with a screen door - about Julio available for trade.  The leaked news comes out before the draft which signals to other 31 teams that you might have an option should you decide not to draft a WR. Hmmm 🤔

This is no way to treat the best player in the history of the franchise - if not true.   Vandy these dots are already connected but you doing this 🙈

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Vandy said:

Ya’ll like a bunch of drunk old women gossiping at their weekly bridge club gatherings.

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

Flowery Branch going out of their way to mention Julio and the cap in connected sentences.  Flowery Branch - that didn’t leak all draft season on draft intentions,  suddenly leaks like a submarine with a screen door - about Julio available for trade.  The leaked news comes out before the draft which signals to other 31 teams that you might have an option should you decide not to draft a WR. Hmmm 🤔

This is no way to treat the best player in the history of the franchise - if not true.   Vandy these dots are already connected but you doing this 🙈

I acknowledge Julio is a HOF player and the best receiver/player we had in history, but..

We got a HOF QB and a good play caller we being begging for. With the addition of Pitts who I wanted this draft we really don’t need Julio. Look at how many receivers/players Shanahan schemed open in 2016 to score a TD or more (Ryan’s MVP season). 

If we use the money from the trade to sign the rookies and sign a player like Justin Houston/Ryan Kerrigan that will help Ryan more. 

Like I was telling 007 in another thread when it comes to Grady Jarrett situation Jarrett has all the leverage in the world right now. Jarrett only has one year left on his contract after this season, so if you restructure his deal to free up 7M you will be increasing his salary from 23.8 to 30.8M for a defensive player. 

Extending his contract is the better of the moves but if you do it now you have to pay the value for it also. Right now he’s playing like a top 3 DT and we would have to compensate him for that. Will he be playing the same after 2 seasons? That’s where Fontenot interview comes into play. Where he said he is not going to make any decisions that will affect 2022 or 2023. Extending his contract two years out falls in line.

I like Julio a lot and he has done great things for the organization like help Ryan and the Falcons win their 1st playoff game in the Mike Smith era, but Ryan needs some defense (Justin Houston/Ryan Kerrigan) and a draft pick as well (1st George Pickens possibly)

Edited by 8ball N M.J.C.

9 minutes ago, 8ball N M.J.C. said:

I acknowledge Julio is a HOF player and the best receiver/player we had in history, but..

We got a HOF QB and a good play caller we being begging for. With the addition of Pitts who I wanted this draft we really don’t need Julio. Look at how many receivers/players Shanahan schemed open in 2016 to score a TD or more (Ryan’s MVP season). 

If we use the money from the trade to sign the rookies and sign a player like Justin Houston/Ryan Kerrigan that will help Ryan more. 

Like I was telling 007 in another thread when it comes to Grady Jarrett situation Jarrett has all the leverage in the world right now. Jarrett only has one year left on his contract after this season, so if you restructure his deal to free up 7M you will be increasing his salary from 23.8 to 30.8M for a defensive player. 

Extending his contract is the better of the moves but if you do it now you have to pay the value for it also. Right now he’s playing like a top 3 DT and we would have to compensate him for that. Will he be playing the same after 2 seasons? That’s where Fontenot interview comes into play. Where he said he is not going to make any decisions that will affect 2022 or 2023. Extending his contract two years out falls in line.

I like Julio a lot and he has done great things for the organization like help Ryan and the Falcons win their 1st playoff game in the Mike Smith era, but Ryan needs some defense (Justin Houston/Ryan Kerrigan) and a draft pick as well (1st George Pickens possibly)

Don’t believe Falcons are signing a big name free agent unless on the cheap and a One year deal.   The team you are loot at now is the team we are going to the post in September most likely- maybe some small moves or older vets on one year rentals.

4 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Difference being....I admit, I don’t know. 

Where you were always wrong on us taking a QB was because it was so illogical, at best more like 25/75 because of the cap hit of Ryan and the undue stress it would have put on team.... You wanted it to happen (fields) much more than it ever made logically any sense, which clouded your judgement. 

I think it’s the same here, you guys suffering from Ryan/Julio fatigue wanting a complete rebuild. If I were a betting man, I’d say Julio getting shipped out this season is more like 30/70. 

18 minutes ago, 8ball N M.J.C. said:

We got a HOF QB and a good play caller we being begging for. With the addition of Pitts who I wanted this draft we really don’t need Julio. Look at how many receivers/players Shanahan schemed open in 2016 to score a TD or more (Ryan’s MVP season). 

Quit reading once I got to highlighted part....

13 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Don’t believe Falcons are signing a big name free agent unless on the cheap and a One year deal.   The team you are loot at now is the team we are going to the post in September most likely- maybe some small moves or older vets on one year rentals.

A trade would open up 15M. 7 would go towards the rookies and you could sign one of the players I mentioned to 1 yr-3M deal

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

Difference being....I admit, I don’t know. 

Where you were always wrong on us taking a QB was it was so illogical, at best more like 25/75 because of the cap hit of Ryan and the undue stress it would have put on team.... You wanted it to happen (fields) much more than it ever made logically any sense, which clouded your judgement. 

I think it’s the same here, you guys suffering from Ryan/Julio fatigue wanting a complete rebuild. If I were a betting man, I’d say Julio getting shipped out this season is more like 30/70. 

Ok I have to set you straight here as you are skewing my record - and also you are speaking in history like you already know the outcomes of rookie careers.

Number #1) I never said the Falcons would  take a QB - I said they should take one - and still believe they should have taken Fields - but also always said I loved Pitts - and I do.

Number #2) I don’t suffer from Ryan/Julio fatigue.   I just try and look at my team realistically and I see a team whose stars are aging.   Father Time is undefeated.  Both Ryan and Julio have productive years left - Julio is probably closer to a huge dropoff though.   Fontenot knows this....Deep down you know it, too.  

I don’t see it as me suffering from “Matt/Julio fatigue” - I see your POV as hanging on to players that are more part of the past than the future of this team - more “Matt/Julio Nostalgia” that you have fallen victim.  Part of being a GM - especially a new GM like Fontenot - is to take the mile high look down view of the team.

You have NO ANSWER why Julio’s name is being bandied about in the media on a daily basis now.   If Fontenot wasn’t trading Julio- he would have cut this stuff out by now - deep down, you know I am right.   This is out there because Fontenot wants it out there - the only way he’s not trading him is if the offers are so low and embarrassing that he cannot pull the trigger - and even then he still might do it.  You know Julio probably doesn’t like his name out there as it sends a message that the organization wants to be rid of him.  That won’t help the locker room either at a time the new head coach and staff are trying to build a new culture.

You need to think on this some more my friend.

This feels like Coleman, Kerney and Abraham all over again. When you possess a big 3, you at least want to see how that threat looks together. Injuries made their team up unfulfilling, as they had maybe 1-2 games healthy in the lineup together. I want to see Julio, Ridley, and Pitts play together this year. If it’s pretty enough, i’ll offload big ole contracts like Fowler, Deion Jones, etc next year. Both of those guys are unlikely to play up to their price tags next season.