Jump to content

Here’s why we won’t trade Julio


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Julio Jones has 3 years left on his contract, the guys only 32. 
 

Cap Hit: 2021 $15m, 2022 $11m, 2023 $11m

2019: 99 receptions (2nd most in the last 4 years for him), 1400+ yards

2020: Hurt for much of the year so the rumor mill of him “regressing” is at an all time high. 
 

If we were to trade Julio his value is at an all-time low. EVERYONE at Flowery Branch knows Julio is a genetic FREAK. He’s cut from the same cloth of the Larry Fitz, Randy Moss, Jerry Rice and Terrell Owens of the world. What all those guys have in common is they still played at a #1 WR level into their mid-30’s because of how well they conditioned - Julio is no different. Why would we sell a superstar WR at an all-time low in value with an entirely new coaching staff looking to win NOW!? Salary cap blah blah blah, that’s complete BS, we have $4.1m in cap space which isn’t a lot but trading Julio leaves a massive hole in this offense and immediately makes Ridley & Pitts less productive - there is 0% chance we trade Julio, there’s probably a negative percent chance because our goal is to win NOW and having Julio on the field gives us a much better chance than having money in the bank. Players get injured, it’s the NFL, but this is the first time in 6 straight years Julio hasn’t eclipsed 1400 yards and 80+ receptions. 
 

I get it, the talking heads need content and they pump and beat rumors to death, but this team wants to win, Julio is worth every penny and this entire front office and coaching staff knows it. Dont believe the hype! 
 

Julio will have 80+ catches, 1300+ yards in 2021 in a Falcons uniform, mark it down now. Then, if we still want to “take calls” about him his value completely changes from what it is today. 
 

#RISEUP
 

 

Edited by matty72780
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, matty72780 said:

Julio Jones has 3 years left on his contract, the guys only 32. 
 

Cap Hit: 2021 $15m, 2022 $11m, 2023 $11m

2019: 99 receptions (2nd most in the last 4 years for him), 1400+ yards

2020: Hurt for much of the year so the rumor mill of him “digressing” is at an all time high. 
 

If we were to trade Julio his value is at an all-time low. EVERYONE at Flowery Branch knows Julio is a genetic FREAK. He’s cut from the same cloth of the Larry Fitz, Randy Moss, Jerry Rice and Terrell Owens of the world. What all those guys have in common is they still played at a #1 WR level into their mid-30’s because of how well they conditioned - Julio is no different. Why would we sell a superstar WR at an all-time low in value with an entirely new coaching staff looking to win NOW!? Salary cap blah blah blah, that’s complete BS, we have $4.1m in cap space which isn’t a lot but trading Julio leaves a massive hole in this offense and immediately makes Ridley & Pitts less productive - there is 0% chance we trade Julio, there’s probably a negative percent chance because our goal is to win NOW and having Julio on the field gives us a much better chance than having money in the bank. Player get injured, it’s the NFL, but this is the first time in 6 straight years Julio hasn’t eclipsed 1400 yards and 80+ receptions. 
 

I get it, the talking heads need content and they pump and beat rumors to death, but this team wants to win, Julio is worth every penny and this entire front office and coaching staff knows it. Dont believe the hype! 
 

Julio will have 80+ catches, 1300+ yards in 2021 in a Falcons uniform, mark it down now. Then, if we still want to “take calls” about him his value completely changes from what it is today. 
 

#RISEUP
 

 

Might want to recheck your numbers again.

 

2021 $23,050,000
 
2022 $19,263,000

2023 $19,263,000

We currently only have 482k not 4.1M

Edited by Cole World
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I get what you’re saying, but the fact that you don’t list touchdowns in your evidence is telling. For all his catches and yards, Julio isn’t on the same level as those other guys. He just works in a world with nonstop media saturation.

For the record, I don’t think they’ll trade him, even though I think it’d be the wise thing to do financially if the compensation is right. I expect he has one last ride with this team, just in case they can catch some 2016 style magic. 
 

Then, no matter what, he’s gone. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, thanat0s said:

I get what you’re saying, but the fact that you don’t list touchdowns in your evidence is telling. For all his catches and yards, Julio isn’t on the same level as those other guys. He just works in a world with nonstop media saturation.

For the record, I don’t think they’ll trade him, even though I think it’d be the wise thing to do financially if the compensation is right. I expect he has one last ride with this team, just in case they can catch some 2016 style magic. 
 

Then, no matter what, he’s gone. 

Touchdowns aren't Julios fault, it’s all scheme and Julio has never been a big TD guy, but it’s also because he’s literally double teamed every snap, which allows guys like Ridley to emerge, Roddy White to extend his career, or make Austin Hooper look like he’s one of the “top receiving TE’s in the NFL” who’s done literally nothing in Cleveland with a massive contract. Julio requires the defense to scheme around his presence which is very difficult to say for most other skill players on the offensive side of the ball in the NFL. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cole World said:

Might want to recheck your numbers again.

 

2021 $23,050,000
 
2022 $19,263,000

2023 $19,263,000

We currently only have 482k not 4.1M

Cap: NFLPA updated today for the contracts of Josh Andrews, Steven Means ($987,500 cap hit, $300k gtd), and Jonathan Bullard ($850,000 cap hit, $0 gtd). #Falcons current top 51 cap space = $4,115,018

https://www.sportstalkatl.com/falcons-how-much-cap-space-does-atlanta-have-and-how-much-do-they-need-for-their-draft-class/

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jerry Rice and Larry Fitzgerald were not freak athletes at all; TO was, and Randy had that freak speed, but they all had totally different styles and talents. It's silly to compare Julio to them, and it's silly to say that "great conditioning" and a pedigree is going to undo the fact that he's been pretty banged up his whole career.

Maybe Julio is just fine, but I can point to Calvin Johnson, probably the closest Julio comparison right off as an example that not everyone can hold up to a long career in the NFL. You just don't really know.

I'm with you, if it can't help the defense now, then I'm not interested in moving Julio, but let's not go overboard like this.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, matty72780 said:

Cap: NFLPA updated today for the contracts of Josh Andrews, Steven Means ($987,500 cap hit, $300k gtd), and Jonathan Bullard ($850,000 cap hit, $0 gtd). #Falcons current top 51 cap space = $4,115,018

https://www.sportstalkatl.com/falcons-how-much-cap-space-does-atlanta-have-and-how-much-do-they-need-for-their-draft-class/

 

Brother, the date on that article is 7 April.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, thanat0s said:

I get what you’re saying, but the fact that you don’t list touchdowns in your evidence is telling. For all his catches and yards, Julio isn’t on the same level as those other guys. He just works in a world with nonstop media saturation.

For the record, I don’t think they’ll trade him, even though I think it’d be the wise thing to do financially if the compensation is right. I expect he has one last ride with this team, just in case they can catch some 2016 style magic. 
 

Then, no matter what, he’s gone. 

TDs are a team stat. They are as overrated a personal stat in football as starting pitcher wins are in baseball. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, B3TD said:

Jerry Rice and Larry Fitzgerald were not freak athletes at all; TO was, and Randy had that freak speed, but they all had totally different styles and talents. It's silly to compare Julio to them, and it's silly to say that "great conditioning" and a pedigree is going to undo the fact that he's been pretty banged up his whole career.

Maybe Julio is just fine, but I can point to Calvin Johnson, probably the closest Julio comparison right off as an example that not everyone can hold up to a long career in the NFL. You just don't really know.

I'm with you, if it can't help the defense now, then I'm not interested in moving Julio, but let's not go overboard like this.  

Calvin Johnson retired because he was on the lions. He could have still played. He pretty much said doing the rehab wasn't worth it if he was on a continuous losing team. Julio will be on the team, he needs to come to practice though and act like he's part of the team. Previous coaching staffs have him special privaliges.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, matty72780 said:

Cap: NFLPA updated today for the contracts of Josh Andrews, Steven Means ($987,500 cap hit, $300k gtd), and Jonathan Bullard ($850,000 cap hit, $0 gtd). #Falcons current top 51 cap space = $4,115,018

https://www.sportstalkatl.com/falcons-how-much-cap-space-does-atlanta-have-and-how-much-do-they-need-for-their-draft-class/

 

That was before we signed Harmon, Patterson and McCarron.

We are under 1m in cap space.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, thanat0s said:

I get what you’re saying, but the fact that you don’t list touchdowns in your evidence is telling. For all his catches and yards, Julio isn’t on the same level as those other guys. He just works in a world with nonstop media saturation.

For the record, I don’t think they’ll trade him, even though I think it’d be the wise thing to do financially if the compensation is right. I expect he has one last ride with this team, just in case they can catch some 2016 style magic. 
 

Then, no matter what, he’s gone. 

I know at least Larry disagrees with you. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, matty72780 said:

Julio Jones has 3 years left on his contract, the guys only 32. 
 

Cap Hit: 2021 $15m, 2022 $11m, 2023 $11m

2019: 99 receptions (2nd most in the last 4 years for him), 1400+ yards

2020: Hurt for much of the year so the rumor mill of him “regressing” is at an all time high. 
 

If we were to trade Julio his value is at an all-time low. EVERYONE at Flowery Branch knows Julio is a genetic FREAK. He’s cut from the same cloth of the Larry Fitz, Randy Moss, Jerry Rice and Terrell Owens of the world. What all those guys have in common is they still played at a #1 WR level into their mid-30’s because of how well they conditioned - Julio is no different. Why would we sell a superstar WR at an all-time low in value with an entirely new coaching staff looking to win NOW!? Salary cap blah blah blah, that’s complete BS, we have $4.1m in cap space which isn’t a lot but trading Julio leaves a massive hole in this offense and immediately makes Ridley & Pitts less productive - there is 0% chance we trade Julio, there’s probably a negative percent chance because our goal is to win NOW and having Julio on the field gives us a much better chance than having money in the bank. Players get injured, it’s the NFL, but this is the first time in 6 straight years Julio hasn’t eclipsed 1400 yards and 80+ receptions. 
 

I get it, the talking heads need content and they pump and beat rumors to death, but this team wants to win, Julio is worth every penny and this entire front office and coaching staff knows it. Dont believe the hype! 
 

Julio will have 80+ catches, 1300+ yards in 2021 in a Falcons uniform, mark it down now. Then, if we still want to “take calls” about him his value completely changes from what it is today. 
 

#RISEUP
 

 

You’re off on the cap numbers....but other than that, I basically agree with your take on Jones staying put. Coming off an injury-plagued year, nobody’s gonna be willing to give up what a 2019 version of JJ would have commanded. And so it won’t make any sense....from a talent/personnel standpoint, from a PR standpoint, as well as from a cap hit standpoint. 
 

Just as it made no sense to draft a QB at 4....which BTW, most of the ‘trade Julio’ threads are made by same navel-gazer OPs  who did the ‘QB at 4’ ones. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, matty72780 said:

Cap: NFLPA updated today for the contracts of Josh Andrews, Steven Means ($987,500 cap hit, $300k gtd), and Jonathan Bullard ($850,000 cap hit, $0 gtd). #Falcons current top 51 cap space = $4,115,018

https://www.sportstalkatl.com/falcons-how-much-cap-space-does-atlanta-have-and-how-much-do-they-need-for-their-draft-class/

 

Why are you posting an article from April 6?

 

Since that time we have signed Cordarrelle Patterson, Duron Harmon, and A.J. McCarron

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, matty72780 said:

Touchdowns aren't Julios fault, it’s all scheme and Julio has never been a big TD guy, but it’s also because he’s literally double teamed every snap, which allows guys like Ridley to emerge, Roddy White to extend his career, or make Austin Hooper look like he’s one of the “top receiving TE’s in the NFL” who’s done literally nothing in Cleveland with a massive contract. Julio requires the defense to scheme around his presence which is very difficult to say for most other skill players on the offensive side of the ball in the NFL. 

I’m sorry, but that always the excuse with him. 
 

To complete this thought, this excuse tries to insinuate that none of those other receivers was regularly double teamed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Who knows really?  I mean many people thought we'd draft a QB (I didn't) but many did.  Everyone loves Julio, but current age, injury history, and present cap situation, we'd be fools not to trade him if the right compensation came along.  This is from a guy who'd give his right pinky toe to have Julio win one with us, I've already pledged my left pinky toe to Ice if we could win the Lombardi.  Okay, I'm really am not big on pinky toes, but I am dead serious about this, let me use up what remaining life I have in my third leg and I'd cut that off to win it all...WFW willing to sacrifice for the team and fanbase y'all. :tiphat:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I agree with the OP that Julio is a genetic freak, highly productive and very much in the same class as the other great receivers he mentioned. However, aside from Rice, Julio, Fitz, Moss, and Owens all share something in common; no ring. I love Julio as a Falcon; he’s been absolutely everything we could ever want, but retaining him and absorbing his cap hit may very well keep the Falcons from advancing in other areas. I can live with a Julio trade as long as this team can improve on the defensive side. Not to mention you have Ridley who will be seeking a long term deal soon. Some will say "keep Julio for one more season and then trade him", but his trade value will be significantly less. Now may very well be the time.

Edited by 4dabirds
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, 4dabirds said:

I agree with the OP that Julio is a genetic freak, highly productive and very much in the same class as the other great receivers he mentioned. However, aside from Rice, Julio, Fitz, Moss, and Owens all share something in common; no ring. I love Julio as a Falcon; he’s been absolutely everything we could ever want, but retaining him and absorbing his cap hit may very well keep the Falcons from advancing in other areas. I can live with a Julio trade as long as this team can improve on the defensive side. Not to mention you have Ridley who will be seeking a long term deal soon. Some will say "keep Julio for one more season and then trade him", but his trade value will be significantly less. Now may very well the time.

Agreed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, matty72780 said:

Cap: NFLPA updated today for the contracts of Josh Andrews, Steven Means ($987,500 cap hit, $300k gtd), and Jonathan Bullard ($850,000 cap hit, $0 gtd). #Falcons current top 51 cap space = $4,115,018

https://www.sportstalkatl.com/falcons-how-much-cap-space-does-atlanta-have-and-how-much-do-they-need-for-their-draft-class/

 

This was forever ago. We've signed others since then and released some.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...