Falcons are still listening to trade offers for Julio

2 hours ago, 8ball N M.J.C. said:

I mean this sought of speculation carries about as much mileage as the mock draft media BS that’s carried on for months.

So now that it’s past let’s throw some more mud in at the wall and see what sticks.

I swear if fans let this sought of BS influence them the fanbase is farked with a capital F

1 hour ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Falcons are in their current cap situation because of two reasons that has nothing to do with paying to keep their star players. Everyone keeps looking at Ryan and Julio as the problem when Ryan and Julio are only making market value and somehow every other team in the NFL has managed to get by just fine paying their star players.

The reason the Falcons are in this salary cap situation is because of years of bad drafting leaving major holes in the roster that TD then tried to feel by signing guys like Jamon Brown and James Carpenter to bad contracts. Then when said players perform badly and get cut it leaves the Falcons with a nice chunk of dead money. Add in multiple players over multiple years and here we are. Lots of dead money thanks to terrible free agent deals because of trying to fill holes from bad drafting. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with Julio Jones and Matt Ryan.

You forgot the restructuring of contracts pushing money to the future... and the future is here.

2 minutes ago, AlabamaFalconFan said:

You forgot the restructuring of contracts pushing money to the future... and the future is here.

Restructuring the way they've done is a result of what I said. When we signed guys like Brown and Carpenter they were signed with the money freed up from restructures. That wouldn't have been necessary with good drafting.

2 hours ago, hjerry said:

That depends on if they wanted and were willing to take the cap hit this year, or if they were more interested in freeing up space this year. They could then use the space to spread the wealth across other weaker positions to make us more balanced and thus stronger overall. They could also take a player in the trade rather than just picks.

Correct.

This conversation is FAR more complicated than some are making it. Each team is unique in where it is with cap, what players are making now, what players are about to make, what players are about to get huge paydays, which ones have how many massive backloaded ones coming up and might get cut, positions where younger guys will take starters positions,  and where they are in the cycle. Are they completely rebuilding, doing a short rebuild keeping as many star players as possible while loosening future cap issues etc.

Just say "each team pays its star players" is far too simple an argument for a very complex issue. 

8 hours ago, gazoo said:

Correct.

This conversation is FAR more complicated than some are making it. Each team is unique in where it is with cap, what players are making now, what players are about to make, what players are about to get huge paydays, which ones have how many massive backloaded ones coming up and might get cut, positions where younger guys will take starters positions,  and where they are in the cycle. Are they completely rebuilding, doing a short rebuild keeping as many star players as possible while loosening future cap issues etc.

Just say "each team pays its star players" is far too simple an argument for a very complex issue. 

Summed this up nicely.  A trade, should it happen, would be complicated to make happen and would need to be handled delicately.

These same people also insisted we were drafting a QB at 4 or were “listening to offers to trade back”, and it turns out both of those assertions were overwhelmingly false as Pitts was the lock the whole time.

All that’s happened is, some reporter made up out of thin air a vague statement while claiming it came from a reputable source (which is a lie), and then other media repeat it like it’s now credible fact.

This isn’t even rumor-mongering. It’s just made up BS for shock-value clicks that gets wings on a grapevine. Exact same thing that surrounded our draft pick.

24 minutes ago, Beef said:

These same people also insisted we were drafting a QB at 4 or were “listening to offers to trade back”, and it turns out both of those assertions were overwhelmingly false as Pitts was the lock the whole time.

All that’s happened is, some reporter made up out of thin air a vague statement while claiming it came from a reputable source (which is a lie), and then other media repeat it like it’s now credible fact.

This isn’t even rumor-mongering. It’s just made up BS for shock-value clicks that gets wings on a grapevine. Exact same thing that surrounded our draft pick.

Yeah. ESPNs headline says "Falcons GM said on 4/29, they are open to listening to offers on anyone." That's the only quote they can use within the organization to justify them talking about it.

It very well could be true, but that being their headline kinda shows that it's ratings motivated.

9 minutes ago, Outmyfalconmind said:

Yeah. ESPNs headline says "Falcons GM said on 4/29, they are open to listening to offers on anyone." That's the only quote they can use within the organization to justify them talking about it.

It very well could be true, but that being their headline kinda shows that it's ratings motivated.

So much competition for those clicks and so many platforms now that these former journalists are having to essentially skew meaningless, throw away statements and spin them into something click Bait worthy.

With the dead cap we're really better off keeping Julio. I just hope he can stay healthy 17+ games. If Julio is healthy I expect a top 5 offense, without Julio I expect a top 15 offense. He's a difference maker and having a 15+ mil cap hit for him to play somewhere else is stupid if we're trying to win now. Not to mention his mentoring ability with Pitts would be helpful.

Caution... Hashbrown3 rant incoming...

I really think that more people need to just come to the realization that the media & news people you watch & listen to each day are not worthy of your precious time.  The media/news clowns need to be held accountable & get away with far too much dishonesty & fake news.  It's a plague man.  It's a dadgum scourge that serves it's own selfish purposes & IS NOT INTERESTED in the ultimate truth most of the time. 

bUt JuLiOz pICTurz wErNt oN dA sKEdrULe sO hE'z gOnE fER sURz, buT noW hIZ piKterZ arE ThEre sO itZ okEE dOke

please make it stop lol!

49 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Caution... Hashbrown3 rant incoming...

I really think that more people need to just come to the realization that the media & news people you watch & listen to each day are not worthy of your precious time.  The media/news clowns need to be held accountable & get away with far to0 much dishonesty & fake news.  It's a plague man.  It's a dadgum scourge that serves it's own selfish purposes & IS NOT INTERESTED in the ultimate truth most of the time. 

bUt JuLiOz pICTurz wErNt oN dA sKEdrULe sO hE'z gOnE fER sURz, buT noW hIZ piKterZ arE ThEre sO itZ okEE dOke

please make it stop lol!

My stress level with sports severely declined when I stopped watching and listening to sports talk.

17 hours ago, stizz said:

I think the smart money would be to trade Julio. His age plus his body breaking down and the sound business decision would be to do so. That being said, it would take something like a solid defender, a first and midround selection. 

So I'd call Vegas about Crosby, a first and a 4th. That's tough to turn down.

That being said, Russinni was VERY wrong last year when she said Jax was parting ways with their coach and no one held her accountable for it.

I agree that the smart money would be to trade him post June 1, but there is no way you're getting all of that. Julio is phenomenal when he is on the field. But staying on the field has been a problem recently. He's the greatest WR the franchise has ever had, but if we can get a decent offer we should move him and start the reallocation of resources more equitably between the O and D. 

20 hours ago, hjerry said:

Trading Julio after June 1 takes his entire 15.3 salary off our cap for this season, and also lowers his 2022 cap hit from 19.263 to 15.5

This freaking post needs to be pinned so we are all on the same page as far as potential compensation.