Will the Falcons be more successful against AFC teams with Arthur Smith and Dean Pees in charge?

In 2009, we went 3-1 vs. the AFC East (only loss being the Patriots in NE of course), and that was the first year in franchise history we had back to back winning seasons thanks to going 9-7 that year after being 11-5 the previous year. In 2013 we went 1-3 vs. the AFC East with our only win being against the Bills in Toronto, we finished 4-12 that year. In 2017, we went 1-3 vs. the AFC East again with our only win being against the Jets in New Jersey. However, we went 10-6 that year and made the playoffs as a wildcard. 

I don't know, with Brady no longer in the AFC East, it should give us a better chance, however, the Dolphins and especially the Bills are much much improved teams from the last several times we've faced them, and on top of that we face them on the road. Should be interesting. 

If the Falcons want to make the postseason in 2021 or 2022, their AFC record vs. the AFC East and AFC North (the following year) will have to drastically improve from the previous disasters we've had vs. them in 2013/2014 and 2017/2018, oh yeah, did I also mention that we are a combined 0-8 in our last 8 AFC North games going by how 2014 and 2018 went (missed playoffs both of those seasons). We haven't won an AFC North game since 2010.

Now let me add on to those comments, to be fair, our bad AFC record, goes by Mike Smith's final 2 seasons as a Falcons head coach and pretty much Dan Quinn's whole tenure as a Falcons head coach. Dan Quinn's only home wins vs. the AFC were his 1st one vs. the Texans in 2015 and his last one vs. the Jaguars in 2019. Obviously those Broncos and Raiders home wins in 2020, by then Raheem Morris had taken over as the head coach. So fingers crossed our AFC record changes in 2021 & beyond. 

5 hours ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

i feel like 3 wins against the afc should be the expectation, and you never know what can happen against miami or buffalo.

bills' fan buddy of mine said they'll already be resting allen for the playoffs by week 17. cocky f*ck. 🤣

That would be cool to see a Falcons vs Bills super bowl in the next few years. 

5 hours ago, mqg96 said:

Now let me add on to those comments, to be fair, our bad AFC record, goes by Mike Smith's final 2 seasons as a Falcons head coach and pretty much Dan Quinn's whole tenure as a Falcons head coach. Dan Quinn's only home wins vs. the AFC were his 1st one vs. the Texans in 2015 and his last one vs. the Jaguars in 2019. Obviously those Broncos and Raiders home wins in 2020, by then Raheem Morris had taken over as the head coach. So fingers crossed our AFC record changes in 2021 & beyond.

A lot of those AFC losses were just bad luck. The Steelers and Ravens pretty much completely dominated the Falcons both times however.