Terry Fontenot - 2nd day trade - let's revisit

1 hour ago, falconsFTW said:

I'm fine with passing on Javonte Williams even though I think he would have put our offense over the top.  If he did play to the level of his scouting reports, he would be looking for an early contract extension because RBs know their shelf life is so limited.  After seeing Devonta Freeman bottom out like he did, I'm not excited about paying the next RB a ton of money.  Hopefully RBs in Arthur Smith's offense naturally thrive, just like Mike Shanahan could always plug a RB in and get 1000 yards.

RBs are just horrible investments on a 2nd contract

The question then becomes - is it worth it to use a premium draft pick for a "one contract" player?   I say NO.

3 hours ago, PointSwayzee said:

What 3 times are you refering to? I remember the 2016 roster, did I miss 2 other superbowl appearances? Or are you speculating that the 2012 team was one of those "rosters", where is the 3rd?

2010 2012 2016 and 17.

I mean each roster pretty much got one game away from the big game.

There have been plenty of opportunities in the given time under the last regime where they’ve had chances but just didn’t finish the job.

Thats the issue here is lack of finishing that the last regime just couldn’t shake.Opportunities are pretty much there to see.

11 hours ago, g-dawg said:

RBs are just horrible investments on a 2nd contract

The question then becomes - is it worth it to use a premium draft pick for a "one contract" player?   I say NO.

Absolutely.  Running backs rack up the mileage quick.  

8 hours ago, Lee Long© said:

I must say that, for the first time in a long time, I am pleased with this draft. BPA while addressing needs with quality players. I did not feel like TF reached for any player or picked the oft injured project player as we have in the past.

The injury thing always bothered me.  Great potential for boom and/or bust.

21 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Now that we have settled in and the dust has cleared - thought it would be a good time to go back and re-visit Terry Fontenot's philosophy in general and - more specifically - his draft day trade w/ Denver.

Falcons Traded:  #2-035 and #6-219

Denver Traded:   #2-040 and #4-114

I loved this trade for Falcons

Denver Side:  Denver likes the trade because they got a potentially great Running Back there in Javonte Williams.   I like the trade for Denver as Williams could end up being the best RB in this draft - I probably have him RB#2 behind only Najee.   Of course Javonte ended up going RB#3 behind the home-run hitter Travis Etienne as well.

Falcons Side:    I believe it was obvious that Richie Grant was "their guy".  Who knows if they liked Travis Moerhig or not but we know the Falcons preferred Grant as he Moerhig was available and we passed over - Moerhig had some injury concerns as well.   I actually believe Grant a more well-rounded safety who can play multiple positions and better tackler and tougher as well.   What I love about FONTENOT here was he was probably mostly locked in on Grant but he felt he could move down a few spots and pick up value and so that's what he did.   We all know Dimitroff wouldn't have done that.    Dimitroff would have said "we loved 'Player X' and couldn't believe he fell that far" and there would have been no trade down.

Results of trade:

Falcons Players:   Richie Grant(projected starting SS) + Drew Dalman(projected starting C/OG)

IMG_6031.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

IMG_6058.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Denver Players:    Javonte Williams (projected starting RB) + Seth Williams (depth WR/Auburn who could develop)  - I actually like the long-term potential of Seth Williams

Regardless of how Grant and Dalman pan out, I liked the move as Grant was gonna be the pick regardless - so regardless of the results - the GM ingenuity and willingness to take a small risk to create more draft value was really good.    If Grant and Dalman pan out then the actual results of the trade will be fantastic as well.

Some critics of the trade may say - "yeah but Javonte Williams is a bonafide stud and we should have taken him" - I would retort that RBs have such short shelf lives and giving them 2nd contracts are not adviseable as we have seen time after time after time.  I liked the Mike Davis signing on the cheap and the UDFAs - Hawkins and Huntley - bet we get some production out of those guys.    Get the offensive line right and there will always be RBs available that can thrive - you don't need a STAR RB to be successful in the NFL - you just need a competant running game and you need to be able to run the ball.

Both Grant and Dalman are also at positions where you can have 10 years + of success in the NFL as generally good players at those positions can have long careers.

We also know that Fontenot never shut the door on moving down from #4 - however, he wanted a lot for the pick because he knew the value of Kyle Pitts and he knew a move down would likely mean losing the player.   He probably would have made the move had he gotten a Godfather offer like the one the Dolphins got - but he never did - liked the move standing pat there and taking the best non-QB in the draft.

Cheers to you Terry Fontenot - long way to go but I like the way you think!

Former Saints player, media tweet reactions over Terry Fontenot news

To be fair. TDs first year as GM was brilliant. Not to say Fontenot is going to turn out to be what TD turned into, but TD set a tone that was also very impressive and made us excited about things to come. 

1 minute ago, Outmyfalconmind said:

To be fair. TDs first year as GM was brilliant. Not to say Fontenot is going to turn out to be what TD turned into, but TD set a tone that was also very impressive and made us excited about things to come. 

That is very true.   Dimitroff had a great rookie GM year - you could say he peeked too early.

After watching the draft play out I realized that TD was just a good talker and salesman. I have to admit he sold me when he first came, but draft after draft he whiffed on players (or passed) and it became apparent he was just talking **** for a living. Heck even AB bought it for a while and Blank knows sales better than anyone.. We seem to be on a good trajectory now with Smith and TF.

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

That is very true.   Dimitroff had a great rookie GM year - you could say he peeked too early.

It may be easier to pick apart someone else's creation.  The pressure is low.  Maintaining a vision is far harder.