Terry Fontenot - 2nd day trade - let's revisit

11 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

I would refuse to play RB in today's NFL due to their positional value contract and career longevity wise.

Yeah, if you have the skills in high school, it's smarter to go the WR route.  Maybe even LB or safety.

But if you're a RB through and through...you just gotta go with it.  There are just a lot more people that can play your position well than can play a lot of other positions well.

My 2 cents.  At that draft position, I'm sure there were a handful of guys we would've been very happy drafting.  We only moved back 5 spots in order to move up 105 spots.  This was a no-brainer trade in our favor.  We got the guy we wanted with the 2nd pick and got another guy that wouldn't have been around 105 picks later.

6 minutes ago, pzummo said:

My 2 cents.  At that draft position, I'm sure there were a handful of guys we would've been very happy drafting.  We only moved back 5 spots in order to move up 105 spots.  This was a no-brainer trade in our favor.  We got the guy we wanted with the 2nd pick and got another guy that wouldn't have been around 105 picks later.

Accruing draft capital through the heady use of intelligence and PREPARATION.  The Falcons looked composed.  There was no panic, as they had done their homework.  It's actually spectacular what they have done from planning to implementation.  The managerial side of the house is sorted.  Now, let's see what the coaches do with the players.

51 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

lol - you pick the one time in 13yrs where Dimitroff traded down in a significant way - 2 spots as well for a 6th rounder - you could make the argument that really wasn't worth the risk :D:D:D

Well, he knew what the next two teams needed and it wasn't linebacker. Sure, Thomas didn't play around when he knew who he wanted but that's just his style, he's well aware of the strategy you speak of and has implemented it when he felt comfortable with it. I like both styles, I like Thomas' aggressive style of going to get the guy he wants, I wish it panned out more often, but the aggressive nature I was on board with. We'll see how often Terry does this, hopefully after 13 years. He didn't actually even gain a pick, just moved up from a later pick. Good trade though. 

The trade was fine, but I wasn't as high on Grant. I felt good about Dalman though. First draft, and Smith/Fonty start out building depth on the O line. That's a plus. Hoping Grant can make me feel a bit better about him. I don't think he's a bad player, but I thought there were better players still on the board.

55 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

I would refuse to play RB in today's NFL due to their positional value contract and career longevity wise.

yeah a talented RB would be better off trying to develop into a talented Safety or Linebacker and have a longer career.

12 minutes ago, Dem Birds said:

Well, he knew what the next two teams needed and it wasn't linebacker. Sure, Thomas didn't play around when he knew who he wanted but that's just his style, he's well aware of the strategy you speak of and has implemented it when he felt comfortable with it. I like both styles, I like Thomas' aggressive style of going to get the guy he wants, I wish it panned out more often, but the aggressive nature I was on board with. We'll see how often Terry does this, hopefully after 13 years. He didn't actually even gain a pick, just moved up from a later pick. Good trade though. 

yeah TD wasn't garbage - he defintely acquired top talent and his hit rate on 1st round picks was good - made good picks in other drafts.   He just needed more picks many of those years.   I need to go back and figure how many picks he averaged over 13 years - but it wasn't enough.    Some years you don't need as many picks as other years and every now and then you can tolerate having 5-6 picks but really better most years to have 8-9 picks.

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

lol - you pick the one time in 13yrs where Dimitroff traded down in a significant way - 2 spots as well for a 6th rounder - you could make the argument that really wasn't worth the risk :D:D:D

See the thing is there’s many ways to skin a cat.

Alot may not have liked the Dimitroff strategy around the draft but the idea being portrayed in this thread is just wrong.

He still managed to build SB bound rosters on at least 3 occasions over that tenure and put the Falcons back on the map as a franchise.Funny how now TD feels like a dunce and TF looks like a genius.

Its encouraging signs early for the latter but now it’s time to see what a lot are gushing about comes to fruition.

Just now, kiwifalcon said:

Alot may not have liked the Dimitroff strategy around the draft but the idea being portrayed in this thread is just wrong.

He still managed to build SB bound rosters on at least 3 occasions over that tenure and put the Falcons back on the map as a franchise.Funny how now TD feels like a dunce and TF looks like a genius.

Its encouraging signs early for the latter but now it’s time to see what a lot are gushing about comes to fruition.

my idea isn't wrong.   go back down under, kiwi

2 hours ago, g-dawg said:

that 2014 free agency for Falcons when they signed Paul Soliai, Tyson Jackson and that massive OG - where basically in one offseason they totally changed strategies - that was a bad look and kind of felt desperate.

I don't think the Julio trade did this roster in - it was everything else and just not enough picks overall over 13yr span.   We had 9 picks this year which is good - need 9-10 picks every year and a GM that is willing to move up and down but focus on BPA and not "ok this is our biggest need - we are taking that need in 1st round"  every......single.......year.....  Falcons skipped over some Gold Jacket players following that strategy.

2014 felt like Smitty was admitting that TD couldn't find a pass rushing DE worth a darn so Smitty brought in Nolan to install a D that could generate a pass rush using LB blitzes.... which is kind of what we are doing now.  Bad thing was, that team was a talentless mess when it came to our O line and defensive front seven.   The FA signings didn't help at -all-.

Its like I've said for years.... when you continuously draft for need, you end up with a team full of the 2nd and in some cases, third best players, as opposed to being a team full of the -best- players you could have had.   Which is why I wasn't opposed to Pitts being drafted with our 4.

15 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

2014 felt like Smitty was admitting that TD couldn't find a pass rushing DE worth a darn so Smitty brought in Nolan to install a D that could generate a pass rush using LB blitzes.... which is kind of what we are doing now.  Bad thing was, that team was a talentless mess when it came to our O line and defensive front seven.   The FA signings didn't help at -all-.

Its like I've said for years.... when you continuously draft for need, you end up with a team full of the 2nd and in some cases, third best players, as opposed to being a team full of the -best- players you could have had.   Which is why I wasn't opposed to Pitts being drafted with our 4.

yeah the Pitts example - is it worth it to draft a TE at #4 overall

makes me think back to some of those Ravens drafts like 1996 when Ravens took Ray Lewis #26 overall (Linebacker) and in 2002 when they took Ed Reed #24 overall (Safety).  Granted, that's not the same as a Top 5 pick but even back then positional value for those positions was it generally better to not draft those positions in the 1st round.    Ozzie Newsome was a value drafter and he would take the talent and not worry as much about the position per se.     Draft the talent - good job Terry Fontenot. 

2 hours ago, Dem Birds said:

Thomas Dimitroff traded back 2 spots from 50 to 52 in 2016, picked Deion Jones and got pick 195 and picked Wes Schweitzer. Yall act like that man was an idiot. An opportunity to move back and be confident you can get your guy doesn't always present itself. 

the other time TD traded down on Day#2 he took........drum roll please.......JELLY  aka "Lamar Holmes".    #ouch

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

the other time TD traded down on Day#2 he took........drum roll please.......JELLY  aka "Lamar Holmes".    #ouch

Ewwww. Yeah, he was better off trading up. Quality over quantity lol. We'll see what happens with Terry, TD had a great first draft too when the pick was high. 

3 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Yeah I wouldn't have risked losing Deion Jones for Wes Schweatzer... whereas Drew Dalman was a huge grab in the 4th and I'm sure we had a backup plan if Grant got picked before 40. 

7 minutes ago, Drunken Minotaur Zebra said:

Yeah I wouldn't have risked losing Deion Jones for Wes Schweatzer... whereas Drew Dalman was a huge grab in the 4th and I'm sure we had a backup plan if Grant got picked before 40. 

🥚 🍳 Egg-Zactly!!!

having fun with emojis today!

2 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

What 3 times are you refering to? I remember the 2016 roster, did I miss 2 other superbowl appearances? Or are you speculating that the 2012 team was one of those "rosters", where is the 3rd?

6 minutes ago, PointSwayzee said:

What 3 times are you refering to? I remember the 2016 roster, did I miss 2 other superbowl appearances? Or are you speculating that the 2012 team was one of those "rosters", where is the 3rd?

2012 was a down year across the league - that Ravens roster may be the worst SB winning roster around.    Truth be told, the Falcons defense in 2012 wasn't good either.  They did OK in the redzone but teams went up and down the field on that D.     Offense was legit though.  The overall roster?  meh.

4 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

The NFL refused to play me at RB.  I don't know what their deal was.  I was sorta good in high school.

I'm fine with passing on Javonte Williams even though I think he would have put our offense over the top.  If he did play to the level of his scouting reports, he would be looking for an early contract extension because RBs know their shelf life is so limited.  After seeing Devonta Freeman bottom out like he did, I'm not excited about paying the next RB a ton of money.  Hopefully RBs in Arthur Smith's offense naturally thrive, just like Mike Shanahan could always plug a RB in and get 1000 yards.