Falcons are running a 3-4

Really excited to see the defense this year. We know what the offense is capable of, but it's been quite a while since we have had a good defense. We saw flashes last year once DQ was fired and an overall improvement from the team. I'm really interested in seeing the defense and really hope we have a competent unit.

Who knows, if we're lucky, we may be looking back on all these changes in February and saying it's not really a big surprise we won it all! A man can dream right?

30 minutes ago, SPITFIRE said:

You thinking Iowa 335 with the actual 3 high look and broken stack ? or the regular 335 stack ? 

The 3 high/ 3 down look is definitely a thing we'll see with Pees I'd say. Whether all three are safeties or if Oliver plays a NB/S hybrid role. With how much Pees loves to blitz (thank god) I don't think having 4-5 on the line will matter as much. We'll be rushing 4-5 every play from any position

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, dirtybirds233 said:

So....does Grady end up playing DE? He's far too small to be a NT

Huh?

Quinn’s 4-3 Under was nothing more than a 3-3-5 with some different jargon.

Nearly half of Grady’s usual snaps already came at the 0-1i technique in Quinn’s system. The other half at the 3-4i technique.

He can play NT just fine. Especially when he’s got 300lb DE’s on either side which has typically been the case.

Edited by Beef

5 hours ago, atljbo said:

I thought we all knew this... I mean Pees is multiple  but yea he liked the advantages of the the 3-4 with the blitz overload and having fast athletes comingg.

Casey had good years under Pees playing RDE... So i feel like Grady playing that DE/DT will have no problem

This is the first thing that I thought of when I read the title. Grady is already a better player than Casey (even though Casey was always very underrated). I'm not worried about him at all. That NT position tho.....Iono

3 hours ago, Clark Kent™ said:

This is the first thing that I thought of when I read the title. Grady is already a better player than Casey (even though Casey was always very underrated). I'm not worried about him at all. That NT position tho.....Iono

I cant lie i thought we would draft a NT ... Its still some NTs in FA but when they redid Tyeler Davison contract... Pees must've liked what he saw

On 5/11/2021 at 4:04 PM, celtiksage said:

FWIW Pees was asked, "Will you run a 3-4 or a 4-3?" His response, "Yes." 

Conclusion: we will do both.

It's human nature that we don't like gray areas so no surprise this topic comes up so often.  Every fan seems to have an opinion on it as well.  

As interested as I am in Pees,  what I really hope is the Falcons will take advantage of his knowledge and experience to start building depth at the coaching positions.  That way when someone leaves/retires it won't screw everything up while they are looking for a replacement.

45 minutes ago, opensource001 said:

As interested as I am in Pees,  what I really hope is the Falcons will take advantage of his knowledge and experience to start building depth at the coaching positions.  That way when someone leaves/retires it won't screw everything up while they are looking for a replacement.

His son Matt Pees is on the staff as a defensive assistant.

9 hours ago, opensource001 said:

Do you know much about his son?  That could be awesome if we're looking at Bum/Wade Phillips situation.

He was with his father during his Titans stint before going to coach as a HC of a high school. When his father decides to come out of retirement, he left from the high school to come to the Falcons with him.

He could move up the coaching ranks pretty fast if he learns quickly. Could be a succession plan for when his father steps down as DC in about 2-3 years if that's the case.

On 5/13/2021 at 7:53 PM, opensource001 said:

I very much agree.  We need this on both sides of the ball. 

The secondary is the key.  Arguably, we can pressure the QB, the numbers back that up.  Problem, our secondary could not hold up long enough to allow pressure to become sacks or serious QB agitation.

Moreau and Oliver will need to play big for us.  The Safeties need to have two rise above the chaff quickly.  

On 5/13/2021 at 7:39 PM, DonOfThemBirds said:

His son Matt Pees is on the staff as a defensive assistant.

On 5/13/2021 at 9:31 PM, opensource001 said:

Do you know much about his son?  That could be awesome if we're looking at Bum/Wade Phillips situation.

On 5/14/2021 at 5:48 AM, Herr Doktor said:

He's got a long ways to go apparently.  But, who knows?

Okay. Let's not get carried away. Matt Pees' only coaching experience other than what he is now and 2 years as a quality control coach (coffee fetching), is as at the high school level. 

He needs about 15 years of grooming before he sniffs a DC job. If anything, and since his dad gets a ton of respect from AS, he is getting a similar indoctrination into the NFL that AS saw coming up through the ranks.

Frank Bush, Ted Monachino and Gary Emanuel have 85 years of coaching experience between them and at least 2 of them have been DC's in some capacity in their past. If someone is being groomed, it'll be one of these guys.

Tori McElhaney is as likely to be our next DC as Matt Pees is. 🤣

5 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

Okay. Let's not get carried away. Matt Pees' only coaching experience other than what he is now and 2 years as a quality control coach (coffee fetching), is as at the high school level. 

He needs about 15 years of grooming before he sniffs a DC job. If anything, and since his dad gets a ton of respect from AS, he is getting a similar indoctrination into the NFL that AS saw coming up through the ranks.

Frank Bush, Ted Monachino and Gary Emanuel have 85 years of coaching experience between them and at least 2 of them have been DC's in some capacity in their past. If someone is being groomed, it'll be one of these guys.

Tori McElhaney is as likely to be our next DC as Matt Pees is. 🤣

I'm not saying the Matt Pees will be the next in line for Falcons DC once his father steps down.

Just saying that he's on the staff to learn and could be groomed into an option down the line as he moves up the NFL coaching ranks.

13 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

I'm not saying the Matt Pees will be the next in line for Falcons DC once his father steps down.

Just saying that he's on the staff to learn and could be groomed into an option down the line as he moves up the NFL coaching ranks.

Exactly. He's getting the same career path that AS climbed. His next step, probably in 2022 or 2023 is position coach. But by the time he puts in his time, he'll probably be long gone from here.

Just now, celtiksage said:

Exactly. He's getting the same career path that AS climbed. His next step, probably in 2022 or 2023 is position coach. But by the time he puts in his time, he'll probably be long gone from here.

Let's hope not.

Let's hope that the Fontenot/Smith regime brings one thing this Falcons franchise has never had.

Stability.