"insane" Falcons' willingness to trade Julio Jones, Ravens should pursue

Posted (edited)

I just don’t see it unless the other team can provide relief from the dead cap that would come with it.  From my understanding the NFL doesn’t work the way the NBA does.  Can someone enlighten me?  I get that the dead cap would go on the following 2 seasons and provide what around 15 mil in cap space this year post 6/1 but then you have 7 1/2 mil the next 2 years in dead cap right?  Why not just restructure Grady?  Either way you are kicking the can down the road.. 

Edited by CraigSmackDaddy

2 hours ago, JDaveG said:

And trading Julio is only insane if you give him away and don't get significant compensation in return.

This one line sets up the true difficulty of the situation.

The Falcons don't want to trade Julio. The Falcons want cap relief. Other teams understand that. 

From a fans perspective, "significant compensation" is a 1 for 1 trade of "talent for talent (in the forms of players and draft picks)." To teams, providing cap relief has value and they will consider that as part of the "compensation in return" they are giving the Falcons in any trade.

Instead of giving up Julio for 3 player/picks that equal his value, the Falcons may well have to accept a package of players and picks that don't equal his talent, plus additional compensation in the form of cap relief. 

It would be great if the Falcons could claim: "We are accepting a 'dead cap' hit to trade Julio, that offsets the cap relieve value you are providing." I think it would take the greatest salesman on earth to pull that off, but more power to them if they can sell that. .

23 minutes ago, falcndave said:

This one line sets up the true difficulty of the situation.

The Falcons don't want to trade Julio. The Falcons want cap relief. Other teams understand that. 

From a fans perspective, "significant compensation" is a 1 for 1 trade of "talent for talent (in the forms of players and draft picks)." To teams, providing cap relief has value and they will consider that as part of the "compensation in return" they are giving the Falcons in any trade.

Instead of giving up Julio for 3 player/picks that equal his value, the Falcons may well have to accept a package of players and picks that don't equal his talent, plus additional compensation in the form of cap relief. 

It would be great if the Falcons could claim: "We are accepting a 'dead cap' hit to trade Julio, that offsets the cap relieve value you are providing." I think it would take the greatest salesman on earth to pull that off, but more power to them if they can sell that. .

Well, they don't have to trade him, so they don't have to accept anything at all.  It isn't like trading Julio is the only way to get cap relief.  Honestly, I don't think it's the best way.

3 hours ago, JDaveG said:

I just said this in another thread, but "we'll trade any player for the right compensation" is not the same as "we'd love to trade Julio Jones."

And trading Julio is only insane if you give him away and don't get significant compensation in return.

I think the FO knows his time here is numbered.  They know that about Ryan too.  They know it about others currently on the roster.  There is a very real chance that in 7 years, we only have 2-3 players left on the team who are currently on the roster today.  That's how the NFL works.  So you either let him play out his time here for free, cut him when you don't want him anymore and let him hit FA, or get something in return.  Right now, I think his value to the team is higher than middling compensation.

But if someone wants to throw some picks and maybe a player our way?  For the right price, I'll help him pack his bags.  This is business.

We would have to get Aaron Donald or Khali Mack to make it worth it in 2021.  We in win now mode.

9 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Well, they don't have to trade him, so they don't have to accept anything at all.  It isn't like trading Julio is the only way to get cap relief.  Honestly, I don't think it's the best way.

Yep. I'm a bit worried the Falcons are "over valuing" cap relief. However, it could be a "mind game" to try to up the value. My take is it would have the opposite impact, but I'm not a GM.

I also find it noteworthy that Grady hasn't been addressed in any way. I'm hoping that just means they have decided they are out of the "can kicking" business unless their is absolutely no other way to make the numbers work. 

3 hours ago, JDaveG said:

I just said this in another thread, but "we'll trade any player for the right compensation" is not the same as "we'd love to trade Julio Jones."

I think the FO knows his time here is numbered.  They know that about Ryan too.  They know it about others currently on the roster.  There is a very real chance that in 7 years, we only have 2-3 players left on the team who are currently on the roster today.  That's how the NFL works.  So you either let him play out his time here for free, cut him when you don't want him anymore and let him hit FA, or get something in return.  Right now, I think his value to the team is higher than middling compensation.

But if someone wants to throw some picks and maybe a player our way?  For the right price, I'll help him pack his bags.  This is business.

Yepper, the GM has made it crystal clear that his strategy is to keep ALL of his options open for as long as he possibly can and then make a call. Just like he did in the draft. 

You can see it all the way through the organization and even the head coach is talking that way as well. 

2 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

You'd think people wouldn't want the entire front page filled with threads about the exact same thing but if it's frowned upon, I won't bother. I don't want to see a single report if the time comes. 

Face-With-Rolling-Eyes-Emoji.png

You don't remember @VTCrunkler's consolidated Ryan threads and consolidated Quinn threads? Haha

1 minute ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

You don't remember @VTCrunkler's consolidated Ryan threads and consolidated Quinn threads? Haha

It slipped my mind. I actually thought it was a good idea when he did it. Definitely wasn't worth the outrage that followed. We shall see

excited-young-man-rubbing-hands-picture-

4 hours ago, JDaveG said:

I've been telling people on Twitter that there's a big difference in wording between "Falcons willing to trade Julio Jones" and "Teams are calling Falcons about Julio Jones". Most people see "willing" and perceive "want". Both have been true forever but the first makes it sound like we're disenchanted and hoping to get rid of him. 

2 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

I've been telling people on Twitter that there's a big difference in wording between "Falcons willing to trade Julio Jones" and "Teams are calling Falcons about Julio Jones". Most people see "willing" and perceive "want". Both have been true forever but the first makes it sound like we're disenchanted and hoping to get rid of him. 

I do think they’re willing. I don’t think they’re eager. 

3 hours ago, vel said:

The Chiefs gave us Tony G for a second. We stole him back then. The Falcons aren't idiots. Julio will cost a team a first rounder. Easily. Especially when you consider how cheap he'll be for the team that gets him compared to the dead cap TF will be left with. OBJ cost a 1st and 3rd. That's my starting price if I'm TF. 

I’m afraid teams will look at the Hopkins deal. 

1 minute ago, JDaveG said:

Agreed. Personally, I think the new regime is firing shots across the bow to let Julio (and other players) know that power plays (like he pulled to get this burdensome deal) have consequences. He leveraged his value to get a new deal. Now, they're attempting to gauge his current value. It's just business on both ends.

4 hours ago, vel said:

The Chiefs gave us Tony G for a second. We stole him back then. The Falcons aren't idiots. Julio will cost a team a first rounder. Easily. Especially when you consider how cheap he'll be for the team that gets him compared to the dead cap TF will be left with. OBJ cost a 1st and 3rd. That's my starting price if I'm TF. 

Once the Ravens got the chiefs 1st rounder I was curious if they would offer us both their 1sts for Julio.  

59 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

56 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

So here's my thing, and as always, take it with a grain of salt. Simply forming this opinion off of TF's words, smoke or not. 

These guys want to and need to clear cap space. I don't care about all of that cap can be manipulated stuff that is said here daily. It's easier said than done and you have to have both sides willing. Personally, I would have never extended Julio a couple years ago as this year would have originally been the year to cut ties with him and save big time. 

At this point, I doubt they can nab a first rounder. If they can, kudos to the highest power. Currently the team is eating $14 million dead cap from other transactions. IF they can get a second and more at the bare minimum, I think they will be willing to eat next year's dead cap and take the initial heat from fans because they feel confident in their plan. 

If, And that's a huge if, Smith and Pees can turn the team around and the Falcons make it back to the playoffs, fans will ultimately forget about the trade UNLESS Julio wins a ring elsewhere. Even then fans shouldn't be mad. Heck, even on this very board you have people who have already proclaimed Ridley the head huncho, let's find out if he's the real deal of JuJu 2.0. 

4 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

So here's my thing, and as always, take it with a grain of salt. Simply forming this opinion off of TF's words, smoke or not. 

These guys want to and need to clear cap space. I don't care about all of that cap can be manipulated stuff that is said here daily. It's easier said than done and you have to have both sides willing. Personally, I would have never extended Julio a couple years ago as this year would have originally been the year to cut ties with him and save big time. 

At this point, I doubt they can nab a first rounder. If they can, kudos to the highest power. Currently the team is eating $14 million dead cap from other transactions. IF they can get a second and more at the bare minimum, I think they will be willing to eat next year's dead cap and take the initial heat from fans because they feel confident in their plan. 

If, And that's a huge if, Smith and Pees can turn the team around and the Falcons make it back to the playoffs, fans will ultimately forget about the trade UNLESS Julio wins a ring elsewhere. Even then fans shouldn't be mad. Heck, even on this very board you have people who have already proclaimed Ridley the head huncho, let's find out if he's the real deal of JuJu 2.0. 

I'm wondering if there will be benefit toward trading him after June 1. The rookies will be signed by then and there shouldn't be many transactions remaining. So we need to maneuver in the next couple of weeks to clear the space we need for the roster we've put together, right?