"insane" Falcons' willingness to trade Julio Jones, Ravens should pursue

Just now, Flyin' In DC said:

I would really hate to see him go because he has been the consummate professional on top of being freakishly talented. @JDaveG said it, if the price is right you have to send him on his way because it is about the making this team good for a long time not just the next year or two

Yep.  If someone called me today and said "I want to buy your business," I would tell them "it's not for sale."

If they said "I'll give you $5 million," I'd say "you have my attention."

The Chiefs gave us Tony G for a second. We stole him back then. The Falcons aren't idiots. Julio will cost a team a first rounder. Easily. Especially when you consider how cheap he'll be for the team that gets him compared to the dead cap TF will be left with. OBJ cost a 1st and 3rd. That's my starting price if I'm TF. 

21 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I just said this in another thread, but "we'll trade any player for the right compensation" is not the same as "we'd love to trade Julio Jones."

And trading Julio is only insane if you give him away and don't get significant compensation in return.

I think the FO knows his time here is numbered.  They know that about Ryan too.  They know it about others currently on the roster.  There is a very real chance that in 7 years, we only have 2-3 players left on the team who are currently on the roster today.  That's how the NFL works.  So you either let him play out his time here for free, cut him when you don't want him anymore and let him hit FA, or get something in return.  Right now, I think his value to the team is higher than middling compensation.

But if someone wants to throw some picks and maybe a player our way?  For the right price, I'll help him pack his bags.  This is business.

Brutal, and factual.  Well said young sir.

10 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Yep.  If someone called me today and said "I want to buy your business," I would tell them "it's not for sale."

Absolutely.  Every man, every team, had their price.  The Falcons have done every sort of statistical analysis on the cap, and have looked at players, compensation, the college ranks, their coaching, player acquisition and have a number.

31 minutes ago, Flyin' In DC said:

he has been the consummate professional

I disagree. He held out for more money in the 2nd year of a new contract. No one does that. He frequently takes off optional team activities. He's not a huge prima donna or anything, but he's also not this perfect specimen of professionalism either.

Yeah, please spare everyone the “I’m the most sincere, loyal, Julio is sacred, how can we trade a HOFer, falcon for life, look at me I love JJ, I care more” total bull-droppings nonsense lol.

Fact is we’re all indebted with love & appreciation to Julio for what he’s done for this team & the type of man he is.

Having said that, he’s like a champion thoroughbred who can’t get out of the barn for every race, but when he’s on the track, blows the field away with world class physical prowess. Forgive the horse analogy JJ :tiphat:

So the smart money is to get some draft capital & maybe another player in a trade that will buttress our team with more talent in the long term.

This guy will forever be imbedded in our hearts like no other.  He’s a Falcons legend & an NFL icon that will live on forever in Canton.

He’ll be dearly missed but we have a franchise to turn around. It may not happen, but it’s ok if it does in my book.

Just now, KRUNKuno said:

I’m no PR guy, but...

You didn’t draft a QB

ANNNND

You trade Julio 

Good luck with that lol

TF himself isn’t here to please the media or fickle, afmb message boarders & couch-GM’s.  He’s doing what is best for his team. He made a decision to keep MR which was based upon sound logic & judgement.  Any thinking man whose willing to listen, TF can EASILY justify his actions no matter what happens with Julio.

Surely you see this.  

2 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

TF himself isn’t here to please the media or fickle, afmb message boarders & couch-GM’s.  He’s doing what is best for his team. He made a decision to keep MR which was based upon sound logic & judgement.  Any thinking man whose willing to listen, TF can EASILY justify his actions no matter what happens with Julio.

Surely you see this.  

Surely I see it, that’s beside the point to a large portion of this fan base. 

2 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

We tried that once. Massive outrage lol. 

You'd think people wouldn't want the entire front page filled with threads about the exact same thing but if it's frowned upon, I won't bother. I don't want to see a single report if the time comes. 

Face-With-Rolling-Eyes-Emoji.png

19 minutes ago, robertap said:

I disagree. He held out for more money in the 2nd year of a new contract. No one does that. He frequently takes off optional team activities. He's not a huge prima donna or anything, but he's also not this perfect specimen of professionalism either.

Nicely put.  He's not a negative, but, not the consummate pro.  He separates game time from his real life very well.  I applaud him for it.  

47 minutes ago, vel said:

The Chiefs gave us Tony G for a second. We stole him back then. The Falcons aren't idiots. Julio will cost a team a first rounder. Easily. Especially when you consider how cheap he'll be for the team that gets him compared to the dead cap TF will be left with. OBJ cost a 1st and 3rd. That's my starting price if I'm TF. 

Rams set the template for dead cap with extra first round pick. Houston gave away Osweiler for second round pick for 17 M cap relief. 
If they want to start with first round and more, TF should consider all offers. 

56 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Very true, the difference is are you desperate to sell your business or you will listen to offers, if you get great offer you sell. 

10 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

You'd think people wouldn't want the entire front page filled with threads about the exact same thing but if it's frowned upon, I won't bother. I don't want to see a single report if the time comes. 

This is your chance to become legendary TATF mod. 😂😂

3 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

This is your chance to become legendary TATF mod. 😂😂

We'll come up with something together. 

But I'm serious about not wanting to see a single report if we aren't able to keep it simple. no no no no no no...............................................

Fair compensation for Julio would be a 1st round pick next year plus a defensive starter this year.  If they can't get that, then our team's chances of winning this year take a step backward and per AS and TF that is not what they are envisioning for year 1 of their regime