Falcons “thrilled” to land undrafted QB Feleipe Franks

On 5/11/2021 at 11:03 AM, DonOfThemBirds said:

I don't know, but he's way more athletic and mobile than Flacco.

He has a unique skill set. Hopefully Arthur Smith can develop him into at least a decent backup. Anything else is great.

I'd like to see  Feleipe  Franks  6' 6",, throwing the ball to  6'6" TE Kyle Pitts..  our opposing opponents better get themselves some tall DBs..   BTW !  Franks is  as tall as Pitts...  :dealwithit: opposing teams.. You've got your work cut out for ya... We gonna strangle opposing teams with heal dust..   :mmmhmm:

15 hours ago, Draftnut57 said:

I'd like to see  Feleipe  Franks  6' 6",, throwing the ball to  6'6" TE Kyle Pitts..  our opposing opponents better get themselves some tall DBs..   BTW !  Franks is  as tall as Pitts...  :dealwithit: opposing teams.. You've got your work cut out for ya... We gonna strangle opposing teams with heal dust..   :mmmhmm:

Already happened. Only two games, but it’s not what you think it’d be. 

My takes on Felipe having watched him play almost every college game of his career...

1. Not nearly as mobile as people think. Looks a little faster because he takes long strides. Much more TE speed then WR speed.

2. cannon arm for sure. Can make some Greta passes but tends to always sail his deep balls. Especially on wide open WR’s.

3. Tends to stare down his initial reads and doesn’t work through his progressions well. Has improved on that but it took a long time. 

4. His pocket presents is hit or miss. Takes a lot of unnecessary sacks. 

5. Great kid and good attitude. Will work hard with Matt to learn.

Im not expecting great things from him but I hope he proves me wrong because I like the kid. I just haven’t seen him develop enough in 4 years to lead me to believe he can make it. 

20 hours ago, jgator21 said:

My takes on Felipe having watched him play almost every college game of his career...

1. Not nearly as mobile as people think. Looks a little faster because he takes long strides. Much more TE speed then WR speed.

2. cannon arm for sure. Can make some Greta passes but tends to always sail his deep balls. Especially on wide open WR’s.

3. Tends to stare down his initial reads and doesn’t work through his progressions well. Has improved on that but it took a long time. 

Im not expecting great things from him but I hope he proves me wrong because I like the kid. I just haven’t seen him develop enough in 4 years to lead me to believe he can make it. 

I see PS at best for him.  Who knows, maybe a QB2 somewhere down the line.  

21 hours ago, jgator21 said:

If he'd  been with Mullins his entire career, in one system, could have been different. I'm hoping that much of the poor mechanics, poor pocket awareness and staring down receivers is simply from not being in one system very long in college. 

If he's not developing in a year or two, find another talented raw young QB and sign him.

2 hours ago, falconidae said:

If he'd  been with Mullins his entire career, in one system, could have been different. I'm hoping that much of the poor mechanics, poor pocket awareness and staring down receivers is simply from not being in one system very long in college. 

If he's not developing in a year or two, find another talented raw young QB and sign him.

Exactly, we aren't chained to him.  The Falcons took a flyer on a talented, but flawed, developmental QB.  If he doesn't make it, on to the next.  But if he makes something happen, good things are in play for him and the Falcons.  

On 5/12/2021 at 2:02 PM, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Man, you took me back with that! I remember getting up early one morning and standing in line at the one across from the mall on Headland for Janet Jackson tickets a few years back! :lol:

You started this. ...Oh, never mind, it's page five. I won't continue.

On 5/15/2021 at 1:01 PM, jgator21 said:

Well, if he wants to make it in the NFL.. He'll have to study and work on his weaknesses ,,  If He's not willing to.. He'll have to "GET RIGHT,, Or GET Left" !!  It would be really great if he decided to go all in with improving his game. Not everybody has those natural God given gifts as an athlete. If you don't use them you'll lose them.

7 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

I've spent 3 days checking him out. I think I like the potential. The good thing is IF he makes the team and lasts long enough, he has more than enough time to polish things up before getting a chance to compete

Been saying that from the first, he has a luxury that many QBs don't have-time.  

Think you should always have  a QB like this on your roster.  Give them  a year, maybe two, to develop, then sign the next one.

Just now, falconidae said:

Been saying that from the first, he has a luxury that many QBs don't have-time.  

Think you should always have  a QB like this on your roster.  Give them  a year, maybe two, to develop, then sign the next one.

If they choose to keep him around long term, he's in a great situation. Reading some comments, I thought he was a bad QB. He has room and time to grow, which is key

On 5/13/2021 at 9:22 AM, falconidae said:

The proper term is homeless man's Cam Newton.

Couple of things to point out about Franks. 

One, Mullins kept starting Franks over Trask until Franks broke his ankle. Obviously, Mullins liked him.
Two, Franks was in 3 different systems in 4 years. That's hard on any player, and esp. a QB.

The man is physically gifted, if it turns out that the main reason for his bad decisions is simply not knowing the system he was in  well enough because the system kept changing on him, Falcons may have found themselves a player. 

I think Mullins kept starting Franks, because Dan Mullins prefers a dual-threat QB and didn't want to give up the QB run aspect of his offense.  It could also be that Trask performs better in games than practice.  In the end, Trask proved he was the better gameday QB.

8 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

If they choose to keep him around long term, he's in a great situation. Reading some comments, I thought he was a bad QB. He has room and time to grow, which is key

There were people that hated B. Grimes for years because, in his first start as an UDFA, he got roasted by a 10 year vet WR who was a foot taller than him.