Falcons “thrilled” to land undrafted QB Feleipe Franks

3 minutes ago, SipDirtyBird84 said:

He had over 68 percent completion percentage. That was better than MR coming out of college. What’s a good percentage to say a QB is accurate?

In a nutshell, Franks is quietly a fine example of what a developmental QB should look like.  We hope he can be coached up, and we hope he improves to a point where several decisions could be made.  One hopes they are all positive.  Practice squad to start?  Backup QB perhaps, as McCarron is literally a road cone place holder for the next guy.  Or, we get picks in a trade, or if someone else signs him to a FA contract.  

TL/DR: he's the very definition of developmental.

5 minutes ago, SipDirtyBird84 said:

He had over 68 percent completion percentage. That was better than MR coming out of college. What’s a good percentage to say a QB is accurate?

In college it's all over the place.  It's definitely more visual, or some measurment service that says "80% of passes were within 1 ft of target" type thing.

Some offenses have guys wide open and you can throw 5 feet behind them and they can slow down and still catch those.  That's especially true in college.

So you look and see how well they did on "tight window" throws.  I haven't done this, so I'm going by the general consensus that he wasn't accurate.  Like I said later, it's no risk, so no big deal.  I was just saying accuracy is one of those things that isn't easily cleaned up.  It is its own skill.

Been pulling for this guy ever since he left UF (**** the Gators!) - he was a sleeper pick for me in the 6th or 7th.. that we got him as a UDFA was icing on the cake.

To me he has the size and arm of Brock Osweiler but is more mobile and IMO has a higher ceiling. I'm thinking Kaepernick but better. Maybe I'm nuts. 

41 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

In college it's all over the place.  It's definitely more visual, or some measurment service that says "80% of passes were within 1 ft of target" type thing.

Some offenses have guys wide open and you can throw 5 feet behind them and they can slow down and still catch those.  That's especially true in college.

So you look and see how well they did on "tight window" throws.  I haven't done this, so I'm going by the general consensus that he wasn't accurate.  Like I said later, it's no risk, so no big deal.  I was just saying accuracy is one of those things that isn't easily cleaned up.  It is its own skill.

General consensus?!? Really bro! It was a strong consensus that Tom Brady wouldn’t be success or that Russell Wilson was too small or that Jamarcus Russell was a can’t miss prospect! 

It not a guarantee that Franks will be successful but I love the potential. He has great speed, size, and accuracy. Also not afraid to get hit. He really needs to work on pocket awareness but that’s one of Matt’s strengths. Hope he continues to develop.

Charles London was a running back coach and was hired in Atlanta as the Quarterback coach.  It's interesting that he is talking to the AJC about Franks upside vs Terry or someone else  in the scouting department. Not a fan of Franks game, panics under pressure but I hope he develops in Atlanta. 

19 minutes ago, Drunken Minotaur Zebra said:

Been pulling for this guy ever since he left UF (**** the Gators!) - he was a sleeper pick for me in the 6th or 7th.. that we got him as a UDFA was icing on the cake.

To me he has the size and arm of Brock Osweiler but is more mobile and IMO has a higher ceiling. I'm thinking Kaepernick but better. Maybe I'm nuts. 

I don't think you're nuts.  He's got developmental potential in spades.  There is literally nothing to lose here.

3 hours ago, Beef said:

Doesn’t the 3rd QB get to dress every game and effectively be the 54th active roster spot and 47th game day eligible player?

I thought the 3rd QB was exempt from counting against the 53 and 46.  Is this no longer the case?

That rule was dropped when they expanded the active roster from 45 to 46.  

2 hours ago, Drunken Minotaur Zebra said:

He does have the basic tools, plus he's going to be tutored by one of the all-time greats at the position. He'll have plenty of time to learn and let everything sink in before he'll need to take over.

AS and TF saw the potential in Franks to compete and make this team, and being they got him as a UDFA he's literally an ideal pick-up with our cap woes. A win-win for all concerned. Rooting for the kid to make the roster.