Falcons RB coach Desmond Kitchings & Ollison RB coach at Pitt are good friends

Posted (edited)

The comment about RB being wide open since they didn't draft anybody makes me wonder if that was intentional. You currently have:

a fresh legged 28 year old trying to prove he's a lead back

a fresh legged 30 year old trying to prove he's a RB period

an unproven 3rd year back trying to prove he belongs in this league under a new regime

and 2 UDFAs

That type of energy amongst that position group should pull another level of greatness out of at least one of those guys

Edited by The Real Tony G.

One thing this team needs, and I mean absolutely NEEDS is a running game. We need to be able to control tempo; we do that? We help our defense and hurt the other teams. 

As of right now, I still don’t think it has been fixed. RB by commitee I haven’t been fond of and I didn’t think AS would be a fan of a run game without a back with feature ability. This along with the lack of off-season preparation will make for an interesting upcoming season.

2 hours ago, Macintez said:

One thing this team needs, and I mean absolutely NEEDS is a running game. We need to be able to control tempo; we do that? We help our defense and hurt the other teams. 

As of right now, I still don’t think it has been fixed. RB by commitee I haven’t been fond of and I didn’t think AS would be a fan of a run game without a back with feature ability. This along with the lack of off-season preparation will make for an interesting upcoming season.

The success of the run game hinges more on the offensive line than it does on the RBs.

1 hour ago, Run 'n' Shoot said:

The success of the run game hinges more on the offensive line than it does on the RBs.

Yeah, if we can get a coherent offensive line with dependable play, it certainly allows the backs a better adapt time.

4 hours ago, Run 'n' Shoot said:

True.

But scheme and playcalling are key as well. There was a stat posted at one time, and we as fans all knew it to be true, that the FAlcons were near the top of the league in runs on 2nd and long. 2nd and 12, run it up the middle dirk keotter special. Its hard for the RB and teh Oline to do much, when the defense already knows what you are about to do. Teams scout their opponents and sure as poop, you knew that up the middle run for 1 yard was on the way.

Here it is

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2020/10/1/21495384/falcons-run-the-ball-third-highest-rate-on-2nd-and-long-nfl-week-4-2020-analytics-dirk-koetter

We don't have a Derrick Henry type on this roster at all and I think we all know that, but if we consistently move the chains that's really all that matters. As for my personal opinion I like Davis, Im with kog ollison has done nothing, and I think Patterson will be an okay gadgetman / wide receiver number 3, bc as some of you know I'm not a gage fan.

7 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Why he was saved. Dude hasnt done anything at all.

I think QO has some talent, not sure really what was up. I am not saying hes a stud or will even amount to anything. Its honestly odd that some guys like him, Senate etc. didn't get much of a shot. Or maybe they were trash in practice I dont know.

I feel like QO was never really given a chance to be the guy or even a guy. I feel like DQ and staff just kept going with what they "knew" worked and were not looking to shake things up with their heads on the chopping block. Same with Morris. He was trying to win the job so wasn't going to use a relatively unknown player. At that point all QO was used as was a short area/2 yard line RB and they already had that in Gurley. 

I definitely wonder if we would have taken Carter if he didn't go 1 pick before us in the 4th round.

I liked his backfield partner better.  Carter is a bit smaller than I would prefer, but he would have been good in the mix it seems.

The Ollison story is the same as the Senat story.  Two guys drafted, two guys seemingly not liked enough to get meaningful game time,but we'll enough not to cut.  It's a new day, new regime and new thought process.  Maybe we have something in them, maybe they are literally only here as they were slightly more than serviceable and under a cheap contract.

But, if they show, maybe we have material to work with on the field, or as compensable items at a later date.

But if anyone thinks he’s married to Ollie because of his past Pitt affiliations... guess again.  The topic title is a bit misleading as you read all of those other tweets.  Lots more to the big picture of our RB situation.

We’ve now opened the door for ourselves to go in multiple directions with our RB personnel.  At this stage, after FA & UDFA signings, the staff is in a much more enviable setting regarding our RB position.

The best thing that can happen is that multiple guys show out & we skim the cream off the top.  Or if one or two prove to be only adequate, then check ya later dude(s).

Right now Davis &  Cordarrelle  are shoe-ins & Ollie has a big advantage over Huntley.  Then Hawkins has the strongest opportunity to make this team.  He was sought before the draft & has huge upside as our speed threat & experience in an outside zone scheme.

We have a ton of fun stuff to keep an eye on & it’s gonna be a blast watching what our new players & coaches will do!!!

2 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

But if anyone thinks he’s married to Ollie because of his past Pitt affiliations... guess again.  The topic title is a bit misleading as you read all of those other tweets.  Lots more to the big picture of our RB situation.

We’ve now opened the door for ourselves to go in multiple directions with our RB personnel.  At this stage, after FA & UDFA signings, the staff is in a much more enviable setting regarding our RB position.

The best thing that can happen is that multiple guys show out & we skim the cream off the top.  Or if one or two prove to be only adequate, then o heck ya later dude(s).

Right now Davis &  Cordarrelle  are shoe-ins & Ollie has a big advantage over Huntley.  Then Hawkins has the strongest opportunity to make this team.  He was sought before the draft & has huge upside as our speed threat & experience in an outside zone scheme.

We have a ton of fun stuff to keep an eye on & it’s gonna be a blast watching what our new players & coaches will do!!!

Ollison is basically a thumper.  Mike Davis is a proven commodity in that department.  I think you are right, Hawkins is the one that will be a more meaningful contributor as the CoP back in this system.  I don't think we are set at RB as yet anyway.  Cuts are a coming, and more than likely a good one will shake free from somewhere.

what immediately stuck out to him about this RB position group is how competitive it's going to be

That's a nice way of saying we're ****** at RB, regardless we really can't be any worse than last year at rushing.

15 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Why he was saved. Dude hasnt done anything at all.

Yeah it does. That said, both you and i loved Ollie coming out of college. It’d be great to see him actually reach his potential. 

Then again, we always knew that DK would **** up everything 😂