Peter King #6 on "10 things I think, I think" - 60/40 Falcons trade Julio

6. I think I’d call it 60-40 that Julio Jones is traded by Labor Day.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/09/miami-dolphins-draft-trades-nfl-schedule-fmia-peter-king/

PK not exactly "making the call" (60/40) but remember, it was Falcons/Fontenot who leaked the possibility of a Julio Trade to Peter King and Albert Breer 24 hours before Fontenot was interviewed by local reporter and wouldn't knock it down.   Fontenot has had several chances since then to knock the Julio trade possibility down and he doesn't seem willing to do so.   While most of us want to see Julio play in  2021 unless there is a ridiculous offer on the table - it seems like there is fire behind this smoke - King knows more than what he puts in his column here and - reading between the lines - basically sounds like Fontenot probably has a certain level of compensation - and if he gets it - Julio is out.     What's the compensation where Fontenot pulls the trigger?   My guess is he will ask for a 1st and 4th round pick but would probably accept a straight 1st rounder.

The hope would be a team like the Packers are desperate to assuage Aaron Rogers and meet the price that Fontenot demands.

• g-dawg changed the title to Peter King #6 on "10 things I think, I think" - 60/40 Falcons trade Julio

a 1st would be great but I don't think many teams are going to do that right after the draft, Julio's coming off an injury year, and a team would most likely have to extend them. I'm thinking it's safe to assume every NFL team knows what typically happens to the production of NFL WRs after 32..... let alone the big body ones that have quite a few miles on them.

2nd is probably more likely.

Just now, Sun Tzu 7 said:

a 1st would be great but I don't think many teams are going to do that right after the draft, Julio's coming off an injury year, and a team would most likely have to extend them. I'm thinking it's safe to assume every NFL team knows what typically happens to the production of NFL WRs after 32..... let alone the big body ones that have quite a few miles on them.

2nd is probably more likely.

the only teams that will be interested in Julio are the teams that believe they can win a SuperBowl in 2021-22 and are deficient at WR or of playmakers overall.   It's a short list of teams.

Just now, youngbloodz said:

Didn’t he say the same stuff a couple weeks ago? Basically no new information from a couple weeks ago

no new information - but the draft is over and he still is doubling down on it.    So basically intimating the drafting of Kyle Pitts and no new QB didn't change Fontenot's desire to trade Julio.

7 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

6. I think I’d call it 60-40 that Julio Jones is traded by Labor Day.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/09/miami-dolphins-draft-trades-nfl-schedule-fmia-peter-king/

PK not exactly "making the call" (60/40) but remember, it was Falcons/Fontenot who leaked the possibility of a Julio Trade to Peter King and Albert Breer 24 hours before Fontenot was interviewed by local reporter and wouldn't knock it down.   Fontenot has had several chances since then to knock the Julio trade possibility down and he doesn't seem willing to do so.   While most of us want to see Julio play in  2021 unless there is a ridiculous offer on the table - it seems like there is fire behind this smoke - King knows more than what he puts in his column here and - reading between the lines - basically sounds like Fontenot probably has a certain level of compensation - and if he gets it - Julio is out.     What's the compensation where Fontenot pulls the trigger?   My guess is he will ask for a 1st and 4th round pick but would probably accept a straight 1st rounder.

The hope would be a team like the Packers are desperate to assuage Aaron Rogers and meet the price that Fontenot demands.

I enjoy Peter King.  Even when I disagree with him.  He's an excellent source & works hard.  He has tons of contacts & writes well.  I have no earthly idea about the JJ trade, but I am fine either way.  Love JJ immensely.  

JJ & Rodgers are secretly scheming to go to the same team.  :ninja:

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

the only teams that will be interested in Julio are the teams that believe they can win a SuperBowl in 2021-22 and are deficient at WR or of playmakers overall.   It's a short list of teams.

Who would those teams even be that would have picks they could use?

Not the Rams... Packers might not have a QB and any team Rogers would go to wouldn't have anything left to trade.

Ravens? Cards?

8 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Who would those teams even be that would have picks they could use?

Not the Rams... Packers might not have a QB and any team Rogers would go to wouldn't have anything left to trade.

Ravens? Cards?

Packers (w/ Rodgers in fold) and Ravens are the two teams that immediately pop to mind.    Maybe New England as well.

The Giants lost out on Devonta Smith who they wanted badly!  The Eagles jumped them when they traded with Dallas to snag the awesome Bama WR.  

Hmmm, could he end up in NY?  Who knows, anything is possible.  

2 minutes ago, irrevelantfalconsfan said:

Bust out the Fender because this is pretty much smoke on the water. No way he gets traded

"No way he gets traded" would mean that Fontenot didn't leak the possibility of a trade (and he did) and that Fontenot would make some type of endorsement/hint that he has no plans to trade Julio(he won't) and he wouldn't keep bringing up the salary cap over and over and over again (and he keeps doing it - and for a reason).

Do I believe they are open to trading Julio Jones?  Of course. Do I believe they will find a suiter willing to give them what they would deem appropriate compensation to move on from a receiver that still graded as the 9th best in the league last year when he was on the field? I do not. I think the teams that would be interested in him are likely to be picking at the back of the draft and there for a second rounder is basically a third, a third a 4th. They would want a 1st for a team they expect to be picking in that part of the draft I think, and I don't think anyone is going to give it up and also pay what they would have to pay Julio. 

We have other options to get below the cap so we have less incentive to take less than what we value him at. I don't think TF will budge if he makes up his mind, just like the draft. We set our price for the 4th pick and didn't budge on it

23 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

no new information - but the draft is over and he still is doubling down on it.    So basically intimating the drafting of Kyle Pitts and no new QB didn't change Fontenot's desire to trade Julio.

I have always felt like if we get the value we are looking for we will trade Julio. Question is what value are we looking for 

Why would TF want to knock down the rumors of a trade possibility.  Just like with the draft, you gotta be open to all offers.

You can have your plan and that is what you are going to stay with, unless, there is an offer that moves you off your plan.  It would be silly for TF to try to pick today who may want Julio tomorrow.  If they have the capital to knock TF off his plan, then bring it.  I would be plenty interested to see what a talent like Julio could fetch.

20 hours ago, g-dawg said:

the only reason the Julio stuff is in the media is because Fontenot planted it there.   Remember that.

Yeah. And it's only there ironically enough, because TD (that wowed everybody by going all in on Julio has also handicapped us so bad cap-wise because he knew he was on his way out the door) has made it to where we either have to restructure Julio or cut bait. Or hope that you can somehow get us more money to go forward.

How good is the new regime at marketing? Any franchise could sell Julio as a great fit for a team one playmaker short of title. That is a small part of the benefit Julio brings to the team. Outside of business situations the last couple of year, the guy has proven that he is the ultimate competitor and a relentless worker. If you're ever asked what happens when you combine generational talent with exemplary work ethic, the Jeopardy response would be: "Who is Julio Jones?"

Do you have a young team who needs a proven leader?

Do you have a young QB who needs a security blanket?

Do you have a group of playmakers who are underachieving their actual talent?

I think Julio brings plenty of value beyond his ability to make ridiculous plays on the field. He is a force multiplier. It doesn't matter if your in a rebuild or one playmaker from a championship, Julio can get you where you want to go. He demonstrated his ability to both help you win on that stage, and to get a date on that stage in ATL. Not his fault the franchise wasted one of the most spectacular catches of his career on the games biggest stage. Julio put out the fire. Little did he know Shanahan was opening up a fresh container of fuel and Quinn was striking a match.