Question for folks who understand AS

I have not studied the AS scheme at all.  

Good points have been raised suggesting the following:

• AS did wonderful things for Ryan Tannehill's career
  • The AS system/scheme gets the ball out much faster, thus improving the Oline & QB sack numbers.
  • The AS system utilizes 2 TE sets nicely
  • AS TN team had a very good run game.

So now I am wondering how it will all translate to our team. 

• I think MR will def get the ball out more quickly after that DK nightmare
  • This, in turn, helps our already excellent QB even better & our O more efficient
  • A game changer TE paired with AS is dripping with ridiculousness
  • I think we have a real shot to improve on the Oline considering ball out quickly & outside zone runs being more effective (draft picks as well)
  • I believe AS is just a smart coach. He doesn't need the same exact set up he had in TN to be mirrored here.  He'll find creative ways to kick ***.

Do y'all think we'll see MR roll out & do more play action with AS at the helm?  Your thoughts on this are welcome...  

29 minutes ago, AlabamaFalconFan said:

Here's how AS gets it done:

Step 1: AS brings the BDE.

Step 2: Players love to play for the man.

Step 10: Winning.

Pretty sure I nailed it.  But I may or may not be day drinking on a Monday .

the BDE... uh, help me out... ??

AS gonna bring...

Big Brain Markiplier GIF - BigBrain Markiplier - Discover & Share GIFs

15 minutes ago, tcmafreak said:

BDE is apparently something he and the players in Tennessee would refer to. It stands for Big (male anatomy) Energy and is a synonym for "time to man up."

Noyce.  

1 hour ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

• The AS system/scheme gets the ball out much faster, thus improving the Oline & QB sack numbers.

• This, in turn, helps our already excellent QB even better & our O more efficient
  • I think we have a real shot to improve on the Oline considering ball out quickly & outside zone runs being more effective (draft picks as well)
  • I believe AS is just a smart coach. He doesn't need the same exact set up he had in TN to be mirrored here.  He'll find creative ways to kick ***.

Do y'all think we'll see MR roll out & do more play action with AS at the helm?  Your thoughts on this are welcome...  

Matt consistently rolling out—not sure about that, but what do I know.

22 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Here you go bro. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ajc.com/sports/mike-check-blog/echoes-of-kyle-shanahan-with-falcons-coach-arthur-smith/64T54ZZLIBC7DCJLX2QBNE7SQI/%3foutputType=amp

Bottom line Hash....if you liked Shanahan’s scheme when he was here in 2015-16, you’re gonna love Arthur’s which is similar but much more physical. 

1 hour ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

PA, sure. Roll out? Maybe, but not to the degree you may be hoping. He's more likely to adjust his scheme to what Ryan does best. One of the reasons you "roll" a QB is to take half the field out of play for him and simplify the reads. Ryan doesn't need that simplification factor. He's mentally agile, reads defenses well pre snap, and has most likely already narrowed down his reads to one or two by the time he gets the snap. Ryan is less mobile, but more experienced and aggressive/confident with his throw choices than Tannehill. I think AS's scheme, game plans, and play calling will reflect those differences.

1 minute ago, JCITOW said:

Matt consistently rolling out—not sure about that, but what do I know.

IDK either but it sure makes sense on play action & it helps him.  He's shown pretty good ability to do so when Shanny asked him to do it & surprisingly good throwing on the run for a lanky geeky dude.  :D

1 minute ago, falcndave said:

PA, sure. Roll out? Maybe, but not to the degree you may be hoping. He's more likely to adjust his scheme to what Ryan does best. One of the reasons you "roll" a QB is to take half the field out of play for him and simplify the reads. Ryan doesn't need that simplification factor. He's mentally agile, reads defenses well pre snap, and has most likely already narrowed down his reads to one or two by the time he gets the snap. Ryan is less mobile, but more experienced and aggressive/confident with his throw choices than Tannehill. I think AS's scheme, game plans, and play calling will reflect those differences.

This is exactly how I was envision it.  Off of PA most all of the time.  Love that & then those drag routes where JJ, Crid or Pitts can slide across underneath all the way from the opposite side of the field.  So many combinations to think about.  

17 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

IDK either but it sure makes sense on play action & it helps him.  He's shown pretty good ability to do so when Shanny asked him to do it & surprisingly good throwing on the run for a lanky geeky dude.  :D

Agree. Once he got accustomed to rolling out, he was great at it. There seemed to be little if any decrease in passing accuracy either. AS will not limit his play calls for fear Ryan can't handle roll-outs.

When Kyle was here, Ryan almost always had a out, somewhere to go with the ball, if he had time to throw. He checked through his reads, if nothing , he almost always had a back running open to check down to or even a lane for him to run for some yards and get down. One thing I hope to see again. The Rbs were usually on the move, so they got nice gains.

1 minute ago, THEHEADCOACH said:

When Kyle was here, Ryan almost always had a out, somewhere to go with the ball, if he had time to throw. He checked through his reads, if nothing , he almost always had a back running open to check down to or even a lane for him to run for some yards and get down. One thing I hope to see again. The Rbs were usually on the move, so they got nice gains.

Thats huge because he is not as mobile anymore.

6 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Agree. Once he got accustomed to rolling out, he was great at it. There seemed to be little if any decrease in passing accuracy either. AS will not limit his play calls for fear Ryan can't handle roll-outs.

He was really good at it. I don't know where people get this idea Matt can't run, roll out and/or throw on the run. You haven't got to be a world class runner to burn a defense not accounting for you. Matt is fast enough.. he's got us some yards when he needs to. He seems to do it more when we are playing for something, not so much on losing teams.

7 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

I agree Poker.  It all helps to keep him upright as well.  What I notice about Ryan is that he's always a bit more athletic then folks are expecting.  He's always been pretty good inside the pocket but he was sneakier than expected rolling on PA fakes & being effective with his passes off of that.  The more he does it, the better he does it too. 

The DK hire may have been the most significantly poor move by Atlanta in my recent memory. It's unreal when you think about just how many coaches & OC's MR has been through vs guys like TB & Drew Brees & Big Ben etc... 

3 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Hash, I’ll take your word for it. We’ll see if it happens.

4 hours ago, tcmafreak said:

BDE is apparently something he and the players in Tennessee would refer to. It stands for Big (male anatomy) Energy and is a synonym for "time to man up."

You can over simplify, but the basic thing is this — it’s the same version of the WCO that teams have run since Mike Shanahan. It’s not “the same” in the sense that all the terminology and plays are the same, but it’s the same in the sense that it’s a coherent system that utilizes motion, formation and play design to keep the defense off balance. 

It’s coherent. Something our offense has not been since 2016. And however AS runs it, it will be a vast improvement. 

Will use more play action, misdirection and presnap motion than we have seen in the last four years.  He also is known for putting people in a advantageous position to win their matchups, again something we haven’t seen in last 2-4 years (Sark did it better than Dirk).  Will be more balanced and keep defenses guessing, can run multiple plays out of same sets similar to Shanny.  Basically the defense won’t be able to tee off because they know what is coming, which is a huge lift in and of itself.  Throw in Pitts and this offense should be a ton of fun, especially if Julio is still here for it.

7 hours ago, tcmafreak said:

I can do this.  Divit?  Digit?  Dimple?  Derrier? 

Wait.  wait... Dongle, right?  Is it dongle?

8 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

I like to take a higher level view.  What did AS do and what did he not do?

He had a battering ram in the form of Henry.  He has a skilled QB who had limitations.  He had an OL rotation into non-stellar players. 

So, he used Henry.  There was no sneaky surprise.  He laughs about thinking we need a first down, no problem, give the ball to Henry and then get out of his way.  Unlike what we did to Ryan, he did not ask Tannehill to do what Tannehill could not do.  The Titans played within the capabilities of their QB.  He got his OL depth ready for game time.  Between the Falcons and the Titans, which one appears to throw practice team players into the game and watch what they can and cannot do?  One team did that and one did not.

Analyze your players.  Analyze your team.  Know the strengths and weaknesses.  Build a strategy and game plan that allows those players to perform well. 

7 minutes ago, NorthGaBoy said:

I like to take a higher level view.  What did AS do and what did he not do?

He had a battering ram in the form of Henry.  He has a skilled QB who had limitations.  He had an OL rotation into non-stellar players. 

So, he used Henry.  There was no sneaky surprise.  He laughs about thinking we need a first down, no problem, give the ball to Henry and then get out of his way.  Unlike what we did to Ryan, he did not ask Tannehill to do what Tannehill could not do.  The Titans played within the capabilities of their QB.  He got his OL depth ready for game time.  Between the Falcons and the Titans, which one appears to throw practice team players into the game and watch what they can and cannot do?  One team did that and one did not.

Analyze your players.  Analyze your team.  Know the strengths and weaknesses.  Build a strategy and game plan that allows those players to perform well. 

Agreed, he will not mirror the Titan’s approach because it doesn’t translate to our team.  
We also agree that AS has the intellectual prowess to use our weapons proactively.  
Maximizing our strengths while minimizing our weaknesses.  Making us multiple without tipping off our opponents with easily identifiable formation & player sets.

We’ve been in need of more cerebral strategies & schemes for quite some time. It’s going to be refreshing.