Punk/Emo Rock Thread

Far too many bands with their own strong points for me to say any one is THE greatest punk band ever... but those who's music and/or message I have especially enjoyed include:

Fugazi
The Stooges
Black Flag
Bad Brains
Minor Threat
Subhumans
Dead Kennedys
The Ramones
MC5
The Clash
The Minutemen
Circle Jerks
Wire
Discharge
Alternative TV
The D@mned
X
Sex Pistols
The Dead Boys
The Buzzcocks
The Cramps
The Misfits
Bad Religion

29 minutes ago, k-train said:

The first band I ever went to see live was Fear.

Funny, my first live band was Skillet last week. Lived about 30 min away from ATL growing up, but we were supporting a full house off of one Waffle House salary, so we never could afford to do anything like that. The most fun we ever had was going to the Newnan HS football games once in a while because my cousin was in the band.

I miss those days... 

I remember enjoying Valley Girl back in the '80s. The best thing that I took away from it was the two songs that the Plimsouls played at the dive that Nicolas Cage and his buddy frequented. These are songs that I still listen to when I need to put something on to make me forget what's going on around me.

I understand what you're getting at, but if you think aesthetics is enough to call something punk rock, you're kind of missing the point of punk rock.

You're not alone though, as that's a common thing... it happened in the late 70's & early 80's when seemingly every mainstream musician, TV show, movie, advertising agency, etc. tried to cash in on what they just saw as the hip new fad. For f##k's sake,  there was even a sitcom called Punky Brewster based around a little girl who dressed weird. That's the sort of total disconnect that focusing on aesthetics gets you.

It happened again in the 90's with grunge, pop punk, Hot Topic, Warped Tour, etc.

I mean, if it's about "punk aesthetics", do you think Madonna & Cindi Lauper were punk rock because they had funky looking haircuts while dressing in ripped up fishnets & leather jackets as they sang their teenybopper pop songs for a major record label with a massive promotional budget, marketing team, stylist, and music video budget behind them? What about when Brittney Spears, Pink, Gwen Stefani, Christina Aguilera, etc. did the same crap a decade or two later? Are they punk rock?

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, k-train said:

I understand what you're getting at, but if you think aesthetics is enough to call something punk rock, you're kind of missing the point of punk rock.

You're not alone though, as that's a common thing... it happened in the late 70's & early 80's when seemingly every mainstream musician, TV show, movie, advertising agency, etc. tried to cash in on what they just saw as the hip new fad. For f##k's sake,  there was even a sitcom called Punky Brewster based around a little girl who dressed weird. That's the sort of total disconnect that focusing on aesthetics gets you.

It happened again in the 90's with grunge, pop punk, Hot Topic, Warped Tour, etc.

I mean, if it's about "punk aesthetics", do you think Madonna & Cindi Lauper were punk rock because they had funky looking haircuts while dressing in ripped up fishnets & leather jackets as they sang their teenybopper pop songs for a major record label with a massive promotional budget, marketing team, stylist, and music video budget behind them? What about when Brittney Spears, Pink, Gwen Stefani, Christina Aguilera, etc. did the same crap a decade or two later? Are they punk rock?

Technically, we never said it was punk rock. I don't mind him putting it here, because honestly, I don't know what genre to put it under.

Green Day wasn't pure punk either.

Edited by irrelevantfalconsfan

10 minutes ago, irrelevantfalconsfan said:

Technically, we never said it was punk rock. I don't mind him putting it here, because honestly, I don't know what genre to put it under.

Green Day wasn't pure punk either.

Sure. I don't think anyone is scolding anyone for a suggestion - I just kind of bristle when people overuse 'punk rock'.

52 minutes ago, k-train said:

Jett was in the most famous all female punk bands of all time, the Runaways.  She was just not aesthetics, she was punk and some of that carried over with her most famous punk tune, Bad Reputation. 

34 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Jett was in the most famous all female punk bands of all time, the Runaways.  She was just not aesthetics, she was punk and some of that carried over with her most famous punk tune, Bad Reputation. 

The Runaways were a great hard rock band... but they were not really a punk band. Much like Motorhead & Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers...The Runaways just associated with a lot of punk bands & had enough in common to blur the lines between actual punk rock and bands like Cheap Trick, Kiss, Sweet, etc.

Joan is a badazz, and if anyone in that band did bring some punk attitude it was definitely her. Starting her own label is waaaaaaaaaaay more of a punk rock move than simply playing an upbeat song. Her work producing a number of bands like The Germs, Circus Lupus, Bikini Kill, etc., and having members of bands like X, The Avengers, etc. in the very first incarnations of The Blackhearts give her a heck of a lot of punk rock clout.

That said, her own music has way more to do with 70's hard rock & glam than it does punk rock... and in no way am I saying that's a bad thing.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, k-train said:

The Runaways were a great hard rock band... but they were not really a punk band. Much like Motorhead & Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers...The Runaways just associated with a lot of punk bands & had enough in common to blur the lines between actual punk rock and bands like Cheap Trick, Kiss, Sweet, etc.

Joan is a badazz, and if anyone in that band did bring some punk attitude it was definitely her. Starting her own label is waaaaaaaaaaay more of a punk rock move than simply playing an upbeat song. Her work producing a number of bands like The Germs, Circus Lupus, Bikini Kill, etc., and having members of bands like X, The Avengers, etc. in the very first incarnations of The Blackhearts give her a heck of a lot of punk rock clout.

That said, her own music has way more to do with 70's hard rock & glam than it does punk rock... and in no way am I saying that's a bad thing.

Almost like calling Falling in Reverse "punk rock"

Just because a punk rocks doesn't mean they rock some punk rock.

On an unrelated note, A punk can rock, but can a rock punk?

Edited by irrelevantfalconsfan