The Falcons haven't missed the playoffs 4 straight seasons since the 1980's.

Step into the friggin hole on 3rd and 1. Sometimes plays fall apart, the entire job of defenses is to try to make your play fall apart. So when it does, when nobody is open and the O line gives you a hole on 3rd and 1 step into it. 
Feel free to (4-12) disagree. You don’t need to set up punts on 3rd down every 4th quarter. 

If AS and Ragone make that 1 adjustment we win 6 more games or better.  

1 hour ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

I think the Falcons get into the playoffs this season.

Same. We've gone from Dirk Koetter to a guy who's schemed the #4 and #10 scoring offenses over the last two seasons, and to a DC who's defenses have finished top 10 in scoring in 8 of his 12 seasons as a DC. 

It may start out slow, but I have high hopes for this team. Let's not forget we started 2016 at 7-4 before going on a tear. 

What is odd, is they felt a lot less competitive back in the day. Maybe having actually seen them in a Superbowl or two, the empty feeling isn't quite as foreboding as it was then. I think that is why SB51 didn't injure me the way it did some. I had seen enough that I honestly never assumed we had it totally in the bag. 

13 minutes ago, FinalScore2.0 said:

Of course the Falcons can make the playoff this season. But there has to be a LOT of bad teams in the NFC.

Do you really think we're that bad? We had 8 losses last year by a combined 28 points, or an average of 3.5 points in each of those losses. Our offense, at worst, is as talented this year as it was last year, except we have a proven and competent playcaller in 2021. Defensively, we have a DC that has proven for over a decade now that he can scheme top 10 defenses. He may not have the tools this year to make it a top 10 unit, but we sure as **** won't be seeing the 'sit back and wait' approach we saw under Quinn. 

Point is, I think last years team is a playoff team had Smith and Pees been running the show. I have no reason to think that won't be true in 2021 as well. 

15 minutes ago, dirtybirds233 said:

Point is, I think last years team is a playoff team had Smith and Pees been running the show. I have no reason to think that won't be true in 2021 as well. 

I think you may be jumping the gun like guys that say Gurley is better than Freeman so the run game will be better.

Regardless of Smith and Pees past success, this is their first year with this group that hasn't even been finalized.

The center and probably the LG will be first year starters (Hennesy's two game last year notwithstanding.) Will the O_line be a great group right out the gate? Probably not.

Did the defense add any new play makers in FA or the draft? No.

How long will it take for the defense to gel and communicate? It will take a few games depending on how quickly they pick up the scheme.

In so many words, when you have a new regime, what happened last year or the year before is irrelevant and I don't see the Falcons over throwing the reigning champs who returned all 22 starters.

2 hours ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

No team has ever blown a 25pt lead in the SB until... 🤷‍♂️

I hope we do make it but all trends/records eventually get broken. 

"Wait, the biggest blown lead in Superbowl history is 10 points? Hold my drink.... Didn't you see what we did in the NFC Championship in '12?"

The Falcons... making history again.... and again... 

2006 Offseason "Wait? Who was the worst college head coach to NFL hire? Oh yeah, I think we can beat that."

2 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

It seems to be a rather common pattern for the Falcons to go 3 seasons between playoff runs (yellow-made playoffs, blue-3-year no playoff runs):

image.png.9e1d5becebef2ef9c4a76339d554d451.png

I noticed that. The Falcons should be hungry for a return to the playoffs like we are.