ESPN's Fowler: Ryan feels he has "several good years left"

I wish matt much success. At the end if the day i want whats best for the team regardless of who the player is. If the staff is good to ride with them i trust it.

I dont see them making dumb deals or playing favorites. Glad we are done with the high school drama.

1 hour ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

https://bloggingdirty.com/2021/05/10/atlanta-falcons-comfortable-matt-ryan/#:~:text=Now%2C a report from ESPN's,high level%2C” Fowler said.

Atlanta Falcons comfortable with Matt Ryan as the QB for multiple years

Some outside of Atlanta Falcons circles were surprised when the franchise elected to pass on taking a quarterback- particularly Justin Fields- and instead selected TE Kyle Pitts with the No. 4 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Of course, anyone who has been keeping up with the Atlanta Falcons and the direction the organization was headed should’ve expected as much.

Why? The Falcons showed early on in GM Terry Fontenot’s tenure that they were going to ride or die with Matt Ryan at the helm. The result saw them go into the draft and free-agency looking to put the best talent possible around him under major cap restraints, we might add.

Now, a report from ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler has simply confirmed what we all knew: The Falcons are ‘comfortable’ with Ryan at quarterback.

“[Matt Ryan] has told multiple people close to him, in and around the Falcons, that he feels he has several good years left, that he can still play at a high level,” Fowler said. “So, the Falcons did extensive homework on Trey Lance and the other quarterbacks that they considered with the fourth overall pick. But they believe, and they’re totally comfortable rolling with Matt Ryan for this year, possibly longer. They feel they have weapons, Kyle Pitts now, a quarterback-friendly system with new coach Arthur Smith and it should be an improved defense. So, this is a team they feel they’ll be on the rise and Ryan will be better-positioned to have more success.”

The Atlanta Falcons are likely entrenched with Matt Ryan as the quarterback for at least two more seasons

The Falcons made the decision to restructure Ryan’s contract understanding that they weren’t going to be able to move him in either of the next two seasons, at least.

Why? Well, according to this report, they’re comfortable having him as the starter.

Ryan believes that he still has ‘good years’ left and the Falcons did their due diligence and then came away with the belief that their best course of action was to try and build a roster around him in which they could compete immediately and let the cards fall where they may.

Is it going to work? We’ll have to wait and see.

It’s simply not likely to work out financially for Ryan to be moved in 2021 or 2022. There is slight opportunity in 2023- if his contract isn’t restructured again- that the Falcons could work something out, but it still isn’t the most likely scenario. At this point, Ryan is set to make $43.6 million during that 2023 season, but will only have a dead cap of $15.6 million.

Still, the overarching point remains the same: If you thought the Matt Ryan era of Atlanta Falcons football was coming to a close, you were sadly mistaken. We’ve still got multiple years of Ryan remaining and there could even be another extension at some point along the way if he shows he can still play at a high level because it’s clear that he isn’t planning on retiring in a couple of years, at least not right now anyway.

500_F_157372348_AEVgLZpCE67BE3cpJg5VG9R9

Current state of the ‘Justin Fields at 4’ crowd who insisted we were moving on from Ryan.

2 hours ago, LaurentRobinsonDaGawd said:

Don't know how to find the link, but saw it on IG and didnt see it posted. No surprise, but hoping Ryan is also telling TF that we NEED to keep Julio. He sets a good standard.

I hope Ryan does have a number of more years.  I would love for him to bring home a Super Bowl Championship. 

You know how some years we are witnesses to history being made? I’m always dreaming of the Falcons being the next incredible historical experience we all witness. Something like back to back Super Bowl wins in Ryan’s last 2 seasons. Solidifying him as a 1st ballot HOFer and exercising ALL the demons of this franchises history. 

it can happen. The universe just hasn’t unlocked our code yet. 

don’t “@“ me. 

073e6c37daebe9b42af8b65580e30968.gif

56 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Hasn’t.

Well Ryan isn’t even the top 10 paid QB. Ryan’s Cap hit would have been much lower if TD and DQ restructure him twice last year. They had no choice but to to restructure coz Falcons had 31 M in dead cap in 2020. Every one thinks cut this player and trade that player with huge dead money. How are you going to manage the cap if the team is paying players to play for other teams. 

This really has nothing to do with what I posted though. Agreed that TD made many questionable decisions. I was talking about if the Falcons decide to add years to MR2's contract beyond his current one. Less money would allow us to (hopefully) sign better and more productive (defensive) players to better our chances

6 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

This really has nothing to do with what I posted though. Agreed that TD made many questionable decisions. I was talking about if the Falcons decide to add years to MR2's contract beyond his current one. Less money would allow us to (hopefully) sign better and more productive (defensive) players to better our chances

Less money in the past didn’t do anything. Heck Ryan had one of the lowest QB cap hits from 2018-2020. It was a dumpster fire during those seasons. What Falcons need is good coach and a team. I am hoping AS is who we think he is gonna be in next 2-3 years. If TF and AS continue making dumb decisions with dead caps and crappy players, QB cap hit will be least of the concerns. 

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

500_F_157372348_AEVgLZpCE67BE3cpJg5VG9R9

Current state of the ‘Justin Fields at 4’ crowd who insisted we were moving on from Ryan.

No doubt about that.  I do like JF though.  But it is this anti dawg fan mentality that has begun to get in my craw a little bit.  The guy never even played for UGA really.  He was a badazz in Ohio though.  

Having said all that, I think we need to open up a can of Vanderbilt hate next on the agenda... giggle....:sadwave:

9 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Less money in the past didn’t do anything. Heck Ryan had one of the lowest QB cap hits from 2018-2020. It was a dumpster fire during those seasons. What Falcons need is good coach and a team. I am hoping AS is who we think he is gonna be in next 2-3 years. If TF and AS continue making dumb decisions with dead caps and crappy players, QB cap hit will be least of the concerns. 

It has to be a perfect storm of drafting, free agency, and cap control. No one area alone will warrant success. But yes, dead cap is essentially a killer and puts the team behind the eight ball. 

2 hours ago, JDaveG said:

I can see them moving on if his play falls off and he is nearing a contract year.  Sort of a Manning > Luck situation.

But I don't see them jumping the gun and getting a 1st round QB just in case.  I could see them burning a mid-rounder on a guy they think might develop.  And I can for sure see them accumulating draft capital as best they can for a move up eventually.  But I don't see them doing a Rodgers ..... Love thing.

The Colts only got rid of Peyton cause he got hurt and they thought he would never play again. If Peyton never gets hurt he never ends up in Denver. It’s the same reason Joe Montana didn’t finish his career in San Francisco. If Montana never gets hurt he never ends up in Kansas City. So baring a major injury Matt Ryan will finish his career in Atlanta.

2 hours ago, Dirtier Bird said:

Agreed. I think we should stick with Ryan and his epic contract until we have three seasons in a row where we win less than four games. Then there will be no doubt, right?

Depends if the D is still ranking at the bottom of the league. Right now, we already have a franchise QB for 3-4 more years at least. 

2 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Of course, anyone who has been keeping up with the Atlanta Falcons and the direction the organization was headed should’ve expected as much.

Yes. And why was half of  TAFT screaming for QB draft? Kinda tells you something.

2 hours ago, Dirtier Bird said:

Agreed. I think we should stick with Ryan and his epic contract until we have three seasons in a row where we win less than four games. Then there will be no doubt, right?

Only doubt will be a lot of us wondering why people like you still look at a team’s record as a QB stat.

1 minute ago, runshoot said:

Yes. And why was half of  TAFT screaming for QB draft? Kinda tells you something.

So do you think it's because he sat the bench & was affiliated with UGA?  His Ohio State play is what propelled him.  

I think the QB or bust guys would have been equally happy with Wilson or Lance TBH.  The GA connection in general made for a nice story line sure.  

But I would say the QB or bust guys were comprised much more of folks who hated MR or never fully got over the MV tragedy.  

You sound a bit jaded, so what is your take on it runshoot?  I really don't care that much about it.  I was simply pushing back on some unnecessary UGA hate I think.  I really don't have too much to be butt hurt about though either way.

2 hours ago, red falcon said:

I wish matt much success. At the end if the day i want whats best for the team regardless of who the player is. If the staff is good to ride with them i trust it.

I dont see them making dumb deals or playing favorites. Glad we are done with the high school drama.

Yeah cause if we want high school drama we've always got this message board, lol.

2 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

The Colts only got rid of Peyton cause he got hurt and they thought he would never play again. If Peyton never gets hurt he never ends up in Denver. It’s the same reason Joe Montana didn’t finish his career in San Francisco. If Montana never gets hurt he never ends up in Kansas City. So baring a major injury Matt Ryan will finish his career in Atlanta.

I was referencing more the economics of it.  I agree Manning's injury is the only reason he moved on.

1 hour ago, Rings said:

Only doubt will be a lot of us wondering why people like you still look at a team’s record as a QB stat.

What's hilarious is when you mention that DeShaun Watson's team also went 4-12 last year and the immediate reply is "yeah, but he had an MVP season and his team around him sucks" and yet when the exact same response is given about Ryan it's "Ryan has all the weapons known to man and still can't win." The double standard is astonishing.