ESPN's Fowler: Ryan feels he has "several good years left"

https://bloggingdirty.com/2021/05/10/atlanta-falcons-comfortable-matt-ryan/#:~:text=Now%2C a report from ESPN's,high level%2C” Fowler said.

Atlanta Falcons comfortable with Matt Ryan as the QB for multiple years

Some outside of Atlanta Falcons circles were surprised when the franchise elected to pass on taking a quarterback- particularly Justin Fields- and instead selected TE Kyle Pitts with the No. 4 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Of course, anyone who has been keeping up with the Atlanta Falcons and the direction the organization was headed should’ve expected as much.

Why? The Falcons showed early on in GM Terry Fontenot’s tenure that they were going to ride or die with Matt Ryan at the helm. The result saw them go into the draft and free-agency looking to put the best talent possible around him under major cap restraints, we might add.

Now, a report from ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler has simply confirmed what we all knew: The Falcons are ‘comfortable’ with Ryan at quarterback.

“[Matt Ryan] has told multiple people close to him, in and around the Falcons, that he feels he has several good years left, that he can still play at a high level,” Fowler said. “So, the Falcons did extensive homework on Trey Lance and the other quarterbacks that they considered with the fourth overall pick. But they believe, and they’re totally comfortable rolling with Matt Ryan for this year, possibly longer. They feel they have weapons, Kyle Pitts now, a quarterback-friendly system with new coach Arthur Smith and it should be an improved defense. So, this is a team they feel they’ll be on the rise and Ryan will be better-positioned to have more success.”

The Atlanta Falcons are likely entrenched with Matt Ryan as the quarterback for at least two more seasons

The Falcons made the decision to restructure Ryan’s contract understanding that they weren’t going to be able to move him in either of the next two seasons, at least.

Why? Well, according to this report, they’re comfortable having him as the starter.

Ryan believes that he still has ‘good years’ left and the Falcons did their due diligence and then came away with the belief that their best course of action was to try and build a roster around him in which they could compete immediately and let the cards fall where they may.

Is it going to work? We’ll have to wait and see.

It’s simply not likely to work out financially for Ryan to be moved in 2021 or 2022. There is slight opportunity in 2023- if his contract isn’t restructured again- that the Falcons could work something out, but it still isn’t the most likely scenario. At this point, Ryan is set to make $43.6 million during that 2023 season, but will only have a dead cap of $15.6 million.

Still, the overarching point remains the same: If you thought the Matt Ryan era of Atlanta Falcons football was coming to a close, you were sadly mistaken. We’ve still got multiple years of Ryan remaining and there could even be another extension at some point along the way if he shows he can still play at a high level because it’s clear that he isn’t planning on retiring in a couple of years, at least not right now anyway.

4 minutes ago, THEHEADCOACH said:

I believe they will ride with Ryan, as long as he can go, and let him walk away when he's done. Changing QBs to a complete unknown College kid, could end in disaster, and it could fail multiple times. The smart move is to ride with Ryan until he's done .

I can see them moving on if his play falls off and he is nearing a contract year.  Sort of a Manning > Luck situation.

But I don't see them jumping the gun and getting a 1st round QB just in case.  I could see them burning a mid-rounder on a guy they think might develop.  And I can for sure see them accumulating draft capital as best they can for a move up eventually.  But I don't see them doing a Rodgers ..... Love thing.

He will definitely stay productive through his contract. Take it year by year after that. Statistically and monetarily, Ryan has nothing to prove. Let's hope if we add any years to Ryan that he covets a ring more than money and we can build a superbowl winner at that point (if we don't acheive it already)

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I can see them moving on if his play falls off and he is nearing a contract year.  Sort of a Manning > Luck situation.

But I don't see them jumping the gun and getting a 1st round QB just in case.  I could see them burning a mid-rounder on a guy they think might develop.  And I can for sure see them accumulating draft capital as best they can for a move up eventually.  But I don't see them doing a Rodgers ..... Love thing.

Yeah, when his play falls off, I could see them at point. I feel like Ryan is the type of guy who will call it quits when he feels like he's struggling as a QB. I don't see them doing a Rodgers/Love thing either. Like they say, If you got two QBs, you got none. GB have essentially put themselves in that situation. They got away with it with Farve/ Rodgers. Think it's backfiring this time. I don't think TF and AS are worried about it. When Matts done, they will see it and he will feel it. Probably be a down year when it happens and they will draft one then or sign one. I wouldn't be surprised to see Matt got to 40 though.

Edited by THEHEADCOACH

Thats the whole picture. As long as we have a competent, successful qb, they will continue to draft pieces to build up the team as a whole. Then, when it's time for a qb, they go after who they like. He then steps into an established and good situation. The only things I see that would change this plan would be severe injury to mr or him completely falling off the cliff with his performance.

22 minutes ago, THEHEADCOACH said:

I believe they will ride with Ryan, as long as he can go, and let him walk away when he's done. Changing QBs to a complete unknown College kid, could end in disaster, and it could fail multiple times. The smart move is to ride with Ryan until he's done .

Agreed. I think we should stick with Ryan and his epic contract until we have three seasons in a row where we win less than four games. Then there will be no doubt, right?

I think when you are in a drought like the last few seasons nothing should be off the table. 
I’m happy with Pitts on the roster. But it’s ok that everything was considered in the draft. That includes every position. If Ryan has a ball out year I’m happy for the team and for him. All I want is for the team to win out. 
Ryan has been a fantastic quick passer and there’s no reason to think that would change, especially if we give him more near options like Pitts. 
But it’s fair to say that football isn’t weather that just happens. It will take a lot of work between now and kickoff. Let’s go to work. 

32 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Colts moving from Manning was easy decision with a potential career ending neck injury and a 25-30 M Bonus due on first day of League year.  
Ryan potentially playing 5 years was something we have heard from Lee Smith, Ragone and Ryan himself few months back. 

50 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

He will definitely stay productive through his contract. Take it year by year after that. Statistically and monetarily, Ryan has nothing to prove. Let's hope if we add any years to Ryan that he covets a ring more than money and we can build a superbowl winner at that point (if we don't acheive it already)

Ryan’s money hasnt been the problem for rings. It’s dumb coaches like DQ. 

Despite all the hits Ryan has absorbed behind a disaster of an o-line, he has avoided the injuries that can break a QB down and lead to a decline, namely his shoulder on his throwing arm.   He hasn't needed any surgeries so I feel pretty confident in his longevity, as long as the o-line takes a step forward.  If he does get injured, his age will make recovery more difficult so it's more important than ever that he gets good protection.

5 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Ryan’s money has been the problem for rings. It’s dumb coaches like DQ. 

Has or hasn't.. I'm confused.

Like in any business though, sometimes you have to take from Peter to pay Paul, especially when dealing with a salary cap. We obviously should have already won a ring how the team was constructed. It's just a given though that if we have more cap money and it's spent wisely (along with good coaching) our chances of success are greater

31 minutes ago, Dirtier Bird said:

Agreed. I think we should stick with Ryan and his epic contract until we have three seasons in a row where we win less than four games. Then there will be no doubt, right?

Getting rid of ryan doesn't make that contract go away so not sure what kind of point you was trying to make.

The Falcons better tank the season and draft the fastest QB available. He needs a cannon arm. I don't care if he has off the field troubles, doesn't fit the scheme, can't remember his own name, or if he only played one game at the college level. The Falcons are running out of time. Bonus point if he's from Georgia. No wait. I take that back. He has to be from Georgia. Make it happen TF!!!!

/S

8 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

Has or hasn't.. I'm confused.

Like in any business though, sometimes you have to take from Peter to pay Paul, especially when dealing with a salary cap. We obviously should have already won a ring how the team was constructed. It's just a given though that if we have more cap money and it's spent wisely (along with good coaching) our chances of success are greater

Hasn’t.

Well Ryan isn’t even the top 10 paid QB. Ryan’s Cap hit would have been much lower if TD and DQ restructure him twice last year. They had no choice but to to restructure coz Falcons had 31 M in dead cap in 2020. Every one thinks cut this player and trade that player with huge dead money. How are you going to manage the cap if the team is paying players to play for other teams. 

48 minutes ago, Dirtier Bird said:

You stick with Ryan as long As he can play at a high level. Wins and losses are team stats. Ryan can still play at a high level, as our GM, HC , and every other intelligent person has realized. So you ride your franchise QB until he's done. Your next 3 Qbs may not have a winning season in their careers and may not make it in the league. Matt is worth every dime we are paying him.