Our Speed Back/CoP is 6'2" 240lbs

9 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

I appreciate the excitement over Hawkins, but he needs to make the 53 first and hes a serious longshot. The small scatback is fun for some, but I'm glad to see we are doing something different. Thanks T. Fontenot and A. Smith...

So is your expectation that we're going to alternate speed with Patterson, and then just use Davis as a pass catching back?

Do you think we keep a north south guy? I only see Ollison or Huntley as candidates

1 minute ago, ki46dinah said:

Patterson is not a viable RB...he is a good returner and can cover kicks.

He will get forced fed some snaps though no doubt.

Agreed. Ideally he improves his ability as a  running back and is a nice back up but I think it's just as likely one of the other guys fills that role. Even as strictly a KR I still love his signing.

43 minutes ago, hjerry said:

So is your expectation that we're going to alternate speed with Patterson, and then just use Davis as a pass catching back?

Do you think we keep a north south guy? I only see Ollison or Huntley as candidates

I think both Davis and Patterson can both run and catch.

For those that spoke without research, Patterson did well running out of the backfield. It will be RBBC between mainly Davis and Patterson and CPatt does have moves...I've watched him quite a bit. Dude is a fun runner. 

Many have gotten used to having the scatback since Dunn, but they arent that necessary 

5 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

For those that spoke without research, Patterson did well running out of the backfield. It will be RBBC between mainly Davis and Patterson and CPatt does have moves...I've watched him quite a bit. Dude is a fun runner. 

Many have gotten used to having the scatback since Dunn, but they arent that necessary 

How many do you think we carry? I'd think we carry at least 3, but our TE room right now gives me the impression that we'll lean more toward blocking TEs than a FB, so it may just be 3 or 4 and no FB

21 minutes ago, hjerry said:

How many do you think we carry? I'd think we carry at least 3, but our TE room right now gives me the impression that we'll lean more toward blocking TEs than a FB, so it may just be 3 or 4 and no FB

It depends on the number of WR and TEs. I think 3 and maybe a couple on PS. My best guess is it will be Davis, Patterson, and maybe Ollison.

im just thinking about the runs , screens,reverse, sweeps and other ways we can get him in space.. Its going to be exciting.

I dont know if he will be a back who straight up get 10-15 carries.... But dude is def a weapon

im excited as **** to have a really good returner... Our field position struggle has been reallllllll

4 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

It depends on the number of WR and TEs. I think 3 and maybe a couple on PS. My best guess is it will be Davis, Patterson, and maybe Ollison.

I'm assuming we're going to carry at least 4 TEs. I wouldn't be terribly shocked if we carried 5; it'll probably depend on how many OL we carry. What I'm seeing so far, I really get the idea they're going to go heavy on keeping Matt clean and opening holes in the run game, and less as much on the actual targets. I think they'll be very specific at the skill positions. Getting a backup spot there if you're not one of the top 2 at your position, is going be rough.

51 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

I hope Patt can do more in the run game.  I just thought he had that in him coming out and he never put it together a lot.  They definitely wanted more of that out of him drafting him.  He's a build up speed guy, but that may work ok in our zone system.  It's an interesting experiment.  I just would like one other guy we know can run.

My favorite Thunder/Lightning duo was probably J Stewart and D Williams (which may be sacrilege here) because they both were all around total backs...just one had more power and one had more jukes.  But either could do damage, and neither was an incomplete back.

22 minutes ago, atljbo said:

im just thinking about the runs , screens,reverse, sweeps and other ways we can get him in space.. Its going to be exciting.

I dont know if he will be a back who straight up get 10-15 carries.... But dude is def a weapon

im excited as **** to have a really good returner... Our field position struggle has been reallllllll

Imagine a line up with Patterson in the backfield, Julio and Ridley on the outside with Hurst and Pitts at TE. You could run the basic 12 lineup or put Pitts in the slot or you can put all of them in a 5 wideout line up or...

Think of the speed and then go no huddle. All of them can play anywhere.

Side note, I got curious after my post, and gotta say, I'm liking what I'm seeing from Raine,

TE at FAU, was used everywhere at Northwestern, blocking TE, Pass catching TE, Blocking FB

I don't want to get ahead of myself, but he could be a nice option for that 4th TE spot

Be interesting to he who they choose between him or Smith, or neither

10 minutes ago, hjerry said:

Side note, I got curious after my post, and gotta say, I'm liking what I'm seeing from Raine,

TE at FAU, was used everywhere at Northwestern, blocking TE, Pass catching TE, Blocking FB

I don't want to get ahead of myself, but he could be a nice option for that 4th TE spot

I would love for them to find a legit H-back type.  A guy who can play TE or FB..can catch or block from either role.  

One reason I don't like huge backs and tiny backs is you tip your hand.  The same with a FB who just blocks or a TE who just blocks or just catches.  I want 5 guys out there most plays who can catch a pass or condense into a legit run game.

If you have a TE who blocks and catches, a TE who can reduce to FB, 2 WRs and lets say Alvin Kamara...you can do pretty much anything out of that grouping.

I really look forward to seeing that kind of thing out of this offense going forward.

18 minutes ago, hjerry said:

Smith over Raine by a longshot. But Raine could challenge Graham maybe.

36 minutes ago, falcons740 said:

Man people think we bought in Patterson to be our kick returner he is goin to be our main back with mike Davis you don’t pay someone one 3 million when you don’t have any cap money to return kick offs, we drafted our kick and punt returner in Avery Williams 

Avery Williams will definitely do punt returns.

Big question- does he do kick returns too? I've heard he may do them over Cordarelle Patterson. Interesting. CP84 is an All-time great and literally 1st Team All Pro last year. Can still be used as for kick coverage and gadget plays, but unless he gets a bigger role on offense spending $3M for him to not do kick returns is puzzling.

19 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

Smith over Raine by a longshot. But Raine could challenge Graham maybe.

That'll be decided in camp, and Raine and Graham aren't competing for the same position

2 hours ago, Knight of God said:

I think this too. However, I think Caleb Huntley might be a darkhorse candidate to beat out Ollie and make team. Even with your 3 that’s an interesting and diverse backfield. Guys with hands and some size. I like it