Julio thoughts

5 hours ago, falcndave said:

I'm not confident of Julio's ability to stay on the field. Having seen the 2020 draft, I lean toward liking a 2nd round pick a bit more than you describe. We don't know where anyone is picking next year.  Btw, is an early 3rd round pick essentially a undervalued 2nd rounder?

Didn’t we get a 2nd for sanu? 

You guys disrespect the **** out of the greatest player to ever wear a falcon uniform. SMH. 

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

You know that’s a terrific point.   I always forget about the ability to trade mid-season.

You are right that some contender that believes they need a boost might give a little more and if Falcons out of contention then the fans would accept it more.

Would love to see Julio win a ring - the guy made the catch of the century that should have won Atlanta and the Falcons a Lombardi already.

I feel like this route is doing a solid for all parties involved.

Fans because we want every chance to have Julio compete while on our team.

Team because we probably get a better value trade from a contender trying to get that push to the top.

Julio so he can go to a contender or contend with us.

Pitts so he can learn the ropes from a pro's pro.

It's just too frustrating to me if we trade Julio just to appease a cap situation that is likely mute next year when the cap likely rises. If we prove we can't compete with new coaching then we may as well blow it up after next year. Trading Julio prior to the season does not give us a better chance of competing right now. And with how we drafted and extended Ryan, we are absolutely trying to win now.

It can't be argued the team will be better without Julio, so I think that it goes without saying that Julio needs to stay on the team at least until around week 8 2021. If not, I can't help but say TF is losing my trust.

6 hours ago, Run 'n' Shoot said:

Julio is not getting traded.

Jesus, we finally get through months of the QB/draft nonsense now people want to start this for the next few months?

Stop it. Julio will be a Falcon next season.

I hope this is the last thread on the subject and anyone starting another dies violently immediately upon hitting submit.

I don’t think this is as straight forward as you think. The team still has plenty of holes and to fix them the best course of action right now is to sign some good players who are cap casualties of their teams in the coming months. Unfortunately we don’t have the required cap without restructuring Julio or Jarrett or trading Julio. The drafting of Pitts  has meant we can legitimately move on from an ageing Julio - it’s basically the reason we didn’t take the 5th year option on Hurst. Trading Julio is 99% cap related vs production imho. We trade from a perceived position of strength for a valuable starter (say RB or DL) or depth. 

6 hours ago, AlabamaFalconFan said:

We still need to sign the draft class.  We trade Julio, Jarrett,  or an extension for one of then.  Those are the only options at this point.  So the Julio will not be traded crowd needs to sit the **** down.

We need about 6 mill for those guys. It's not difficult. Grady gets his extension.

15 hours ago, Run 'n' Shoot said:

Julio is not getting traded.

Jesus, we finally get through months of the QB/draft nonsense now people want to start this for the next few months?

Stop it. Julio will be a Falcon next season.

I hope this is the last thread on the subject and anyone starting another dies violently immediately upon hitting submit.

You can thank Arthur Smith for that with his recent interview. 

12 hours ago, Vandy said:

Didn’t we get a 2nd for sanu? 

You guys disrespect the **** out of the greatest player to ever wear a falcon uniform. SMH. 

Was just going to say this.  People greatly under value what teams are willing to pay for players that are known commodities.  Two year older Julio at 80% healthy is way better than Sanu was at any point in his career.  Conversation should start with a first in 2022 and minimum a 2nd in 2023 or hang up the phone.

17 hours ago, g-dawg said:

I know we have talked the Julio trade or no trade to death - but - here's another thread - lol.

Since we didn't trade draft night for a 2020 draft pick (I know we couldn't because of cap) - I would just as soon hold onto Julio unless someone offers a 1st round pick for him - which seems doubtful.     We all want to see what this offense can look like w/ the huge triple threat of Julio/Ridley and now Pitts.

Receiving a 2nd rounder for Julio - while a 2nd rounder is a good pick to have - the teams that would likely offer - like a Green Bay or Baltimore - will likely have picks at the bottom of the 2nd round anyway.   To have to wait an entire year to get that pick and it be a glorified 3rd round pick for our franchise's best player in Falcon history - to me that's not worth moving Julio - especially when we want to see this offense w/ him - at least for one season.

Also, if we got that late 2nd rounder - that doesn't help to possibly use as ammo to move up for a QB next year if we saw one we liked.

Falcons should just re-structure Grady Jarrett who is 28 years old - he should still have another 4 good years left in him and use that money to get the rooks in the door.

We can always trade Julio next year - albeit for less compensation than this year - we could trade him in the March off-season and still get a pick in the same year as if we traded him now and get the fun of having Julio on the roster for another year.   Having Julio in 2021 also takes a little pressure off the rookie Pitts - and the rookie probably needs it as he has been hyped so much I would love to see him be able to play at least a complimentary role for the first 1/2 of 2021 before being forced to be a "go to" guy.

3 minutes ago, Rings said:

Was just going to say this.  People greatly under value what teams are willing to pay for players that are known commodities.  Two year older Julio at 80% healthy is way better than Sanu was at any point in his career.  Conversation should start with a first in 2022 and minimum a 2nd in 2023 or hang up the phone.

Exactly. I’ll never understand this board’s obsession with trading away one of team’s all-time best players, period...as you know that narrative has been in here for 3+ years....but to downgrade his value to the same as Sanu’s makes my head spin off. 

I don’t worship players, I don’t think you do either. However, as a firm believer in karma, one of reasons this team disappoints is it’s fans nitpick the few great players we’ve drafted, especially once they get paid. What a player makes is such a weird obsession in here. 

Julio and Ryan are prime examples. We don’t deserve them.

10 hours ago, Slumerican said:

Considering all the first round bust, id say no.. Only trade id take for Julio is a proven defensive beast.. Like K Mack.. Anything else is a no go

The point of even humoring calls would be to create cap space, so trading for a player, especially a highly paid one, is never going to happen.  Mack has a cap hit of over $100 mil over the next four years, 25 per.  Julio has a cap hit of 61 over the next 3, or 20.3 per.  Trading Julio for a player making more, plus taking on a ton of money in dead cap, would be the exact opposite of what TF would be trying to accomplish.

50 minutes ago, Rings said:

The point of even humoring calls would be to create cap space, so trading for a player, especially a highly paid one, is never going to happen.  Mack has a cap hit of over $100 mil over the next four years, 25 per.  Julio has a cap hit of 61 over the next 3, or 20.3 per.  Trading Julio for a player making more, plus taking on a ton of money in dead cap, would be the exact opposite of what TF would be trying to accomplish.

11 hours ago, Slumerican said:

Considering all the first round bust, id say no.. Only trade id take for Julio is a proven defensive beast.. Like K Mack.. Anything else is a no go

Another example of fans not understanding the cap. Unless the plan was to gut the team, trading either Ryan or Julio this offseason was at the very least, a fiscally irresponsible option for the new management team.

34 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Too much ️ coffee, V?

More likely, not enough! 

I actually am more aligned with your take in this thread than any of your previous Julio ones. You’re slowly but surely getting there G. 😃

3 minutes ago, Vandy said:

More likely, not enough! 

I actually am more aligned with your take in this thread than any of your previous Julio ones. You’re slowly but surely getting there G. 😃

I actually liked @TTU Falcon take a lot as a “Solomon Split the Baby” compromise.

Keep Julio and see how the 2021 season goes.  If Falcons in the toilet at the midway point, trade him then to the highest bidder.

We definitely need to see how the 2021 season looks with the big 3 weapons.  I do believe 2021 will likely be Julio’s last season regardless.

29 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I actually liked @TTU Falcon take a lot as a “Solomon Split the Baby” compromise.

Keep Julio and see how the 2021 season goes.  If Falcons in the toilet at the midway point, trade him then to the highest bidder.

We definitely need to see how the 2021 season looks with the big 3 weapons.  I do believe 2021 will likely be Julio’s last season regardless.

Could be, unless he has a Julio-esque season. Trading him after a 90/1200/6 season would be insane, especially in a year team returns to playoffs....unless someone just throws an insane offer their way.

I know you disagree with both premises, but as you know that’s where I’m at. 

8 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Could be, unless he has a Julio-esque season. Trading him after a 100/1400/6 season would be insane, especially in a year team returns to playoffs....unless someone throws an insane offer their way.

I know you disagree with both premises, but as you know that’s where I’m at. 

No worries.   You trade him if the team is on the road to nowhere in mid season.

in 2022, Julio will be 33yrs old and he will decline steadily- that’s just reality ...Father Time is undefeated. 

Terry Fontenot’s charge is doing what is best for the team and he has to balance “The Now” versus “The Future”.

TF will do what he believes is best for the team - that might include trading Julio - and it might not - but he needs to do what he believes is best for the team moreso than for the player himself or the fans.  

As to your numbers above, the best case for a trade is if the team is doing poorly but Julio is having a season like you describe.   Better to trade Julio healthy and high value than not to maximize the compensation coming back in a trade.

19 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

No worries.   You trade him if the team is on the road to nowhere in mid season.

in 2022, Julio will be 33yrs old and he will decline steadily- that’s just reality Father Time is undefeated. 

Terry Fontenot’s charge is doing what is best for the team and he has to balance “The Now” versus “The Future”.

TF will do what he believes is best for the team - that might include trading Julio - and it might not - but he needs to do what he believes is best for the team moreso than for the player himself or the fans.  

As to your numbers above, the best case for a trade is if the team is doing poorly but Julio is having a season like you describe.   Better to trade Julio healthy and high value than not to maximize the compensation coming back in a trade.

Unless smith is as incompetent as Quinn/Koetter et al, there’s no way this team is doing poorly if Julio is having a great season. Which (along with the reckless cap hit)  is why I’ve been against trading him. He/Ridley/Pitts together are gonna be a nightmare to defend. 

Not saying you per se, but TAFT still doesn’t fully grasp just how awful our coaching...especially from those two...was over the past few years.  

As far as Father Time...albeit true.. the question is how much will he decline. He’s one year removed from the stats I listed. And yes, he was injured last year, but his overall play showed no real decline. Julio’s an abnormal freak of nature, I think you and the other ‘father timers’ too easily dismiss that truth. 

16 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Unless smith is as incompetent as Quinn/Koetter et al, there’s no way this team is doing poorly if Julio is having a great season. Which (along with the reckless cap hit)  is why I’ve been against trading him. 

Not saying you per se, but TAFT still doesn’t fully grasp just how awful those two were. 

As far as Father Time...albeit true.. the question is how much will he decline. He’s one year removed from the stats I listed. And yes, he was injured last year, but his overall play showed no real decline. Julio’s an abnormal freak of nature, I think you and the other ‘father timers’ too easily dismiss that truth. 

it's not that I am in denial of Julio's greatness - he's my all-time favorite atlanta player EVER - in any sport - it's just I can separate nostalgic past from the oncoming future and at some point the two intersect and you move on.  There's a long, long line of Hall of Fame players that didn't retire w/ their teams they played the greatest years of their careers there.

Again, I just started the thread advocating for Julio to start the season in Atlanta in 2021 - and stand by it - but if the season goes off the rails again, then play the Frozen song "Let it Go" in Flowery Branch

As to the "how can Julio have those numbers and Falcons have a bad season?" - it's happened before and it can happen again.

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

As to the "how can Julio have those numbers and Falcons have a bad season?" - it's happened before and it can happen again.

“Unless Smith is as incompetent as Quinn/Koetter...”

18 hours ago, g-dawg said:

I know we have talked the Julio trade or no trade to death - but - here's another thread - lol.

Since we didn't trade draft night for a 2020 draft pick (I know we couldn't because of cap) - I would just as soon hold onto Julio unless someone offers a 1st round pick for him - which seems doubtful.     We all want to see what this offense can look like w/ the huge triple threat of Julio/Ridley and now Pitts.

Receiving a 2nd rounder for Julio - while a 2nd rounder is a good pick to have - the teams that would likely offer - like a Green Bay or Baltimore - will likely have picks at the bottom of the 2nd round anyway.   To have to wait an entire year to get that pick and it be a glorified 3rd round pick for our franchise's best player in Falcon history - to me that's not worth moving Julio - especially when we want to see this offense w/ him - at least for one season.

Also, if we got that late 2nd rounder - that doesn't help to possibly use as ammo to move up for a QB next year if we saw one we liked.

Falcons should just re-structure Grady Jarrett who is 28 years old - he should still have another 4 good years left in him and use that money to get the rooks in the door.

We can always trade Julio next year - albeit for less compensation than this year - we could trade him in the March off-season and still get a pick in the same year as if we traded him now and get the fun of having Julio on the roster for another year.   Having Julio in 2021 also takes a little pressure off the rookie Pitts - and the rookie probably needs it as he has been hyped so much I would love to see him be able to play at least a complimentary role for the first 1/2 of 2021 before being forced to be a "go to" guy.

I am a fan of Julio Jones.    I would -like- to see Julio play and eventually retire, here. Let's look at the situation objectively.

AS has already said, we will run the ball more, so the passing game will, and should, have a reduced role this upcoming season.  Meaning less opportunities and fewer catches for -all- our receivers.

We just used the 4th pick on a receiving TE.   We have another 'mouth to feed', when it comes to catches.  Already, Hayden Hurst looks like he is going to leave after next season.

Here is a list of upcoming FAs from the 'class of 2018':  Hayden Hurst, Isiah Oliver, Deadrin Senat, Russell Gage, Foye Oluokun and Matt Gono.  Right now, Gono and Oluokun would be my priority 'keepers'.   We don't know for sure, but retaining Julio may cost us both those players, not to mention any premium FAs we might want to sign.   

We ended up with 24 (!) roster vacancies this offseason.   We will end up with quite a few again next season, because of all these one year deals and pending 2018 FAs.

If we can keep Julio, and Foye and Gono, plus have money for some longer term FA's.... great! Let's do it.  Unfortunately, the signs are not pointing in that direction.

Julio deserves an opportunity to win, now.   There are a few teams out there that may give Julio that chance, if the Falcons can't.

I don't want to keep Julio in a reduced role  I think Julio is worth a late 1st or early 2nd.   Or maybe we could trade Julio for a player.... who knows?