How do you stop Kyle Pitts? Coaches sound off on ways defenses can slow the Falcons tight end (Hint: They can’t) - The Athletic

1 hour ago, Snozberies17 said:

I'll be the first one to admit I was a little underwhelmed by Hurst last year but he showed some really nice flashes when he was actually targeted. The one thing that stood out to me the most was how quick he was. Even if he becomes a decoy to pull LB's out of their zones and/or holds a safety for an extra second to allow Pitts to run free off of him is something we haven't had in a long while and is a 100% pick your poison type of situation. That doesnt even factor in our insane WR group. If L. Tololio could break free in the west coast - Shanny offense; Pitts and Hurst are going to run wild.

Idiot DK didn't help matters.  

1 hour ago, Mr.11 said:

Gonna be some busted coverages when defenses try to figure out responsibilities. AS and Ragone gonna have a lot of fun designing plays for this bunch of offensive skill players. It's almost Madden level unfair to have a healthy Julio, Ridley, Hurst, and Pitts. And if the offensive line is up to par, Ryan may have his most productive season ever, which is saying something considering 2016 was one of the most efficient seasons by a QB ever.

Watch our 3rd down conversions jump up, also red zone efficiency will skyrocket. 

We can only pray that we will see the day this happens after the dire predications of death and world famine if we didn’t draft a QB this year. So far it looks like the meteor may have missed earth due to a celestial unicorn redirecting it.

2 hours ago, Snozberies17 said:

I'll be the first one to admit I was a little underwhelmed by Hurst last year but he showed some really nice flashes when he was actually targeted. The one thing that stood out to me the most was how quick he was.

Problem I saw was DK was clueless how to utilize Hurts topline speed. You had to scheme to get him in man coverage on crossing routes or quick slants. All Hurst needed was to be moving as the ball was coming to him and he could outrun most any defender and take it to the house.  I saw two Buffalo Bill CBs chase him 60 yards and not get a step on him. He was clocked at 21 MPH on that 60 yard run which is INSANE CB level top end speed. 

Keotter wasted so much talent forcing players into his inflexible scheme and was utterly predictable. 

3 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Interesting.

Id really like to see the kid play before putting him in the HOF.

Is he basically Julio?

Time will tell…

One thing is for sure is the NFL isn’t college and at some point teams will be able to defend/match up with him. Might not be many but there will be teams that do.

As best I can tell he's Julio-like but is less likely to vault over/outrun defenders than just power through them and contest the catch with his wingspan. They're comparable but Julio is a bit more athletic and Pitts is tougher. 

3 hours ago, falcons007 said:

Credit to Tori for finally putting in Solid work, other than peddling Jeff Schultz garbage. 

Who is going to cover Julio or Ridley? 

That’s what I have been thinking. If you stop Pitts, that leaves SO MUCH MORE open. 

Which is another reason why I hope we can crank up our running game, that will make us pretty much unstoppable on offense.

Pick your poison, indeed!

17 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Problem I saw was DK was clueless how to utilize Hurts topline speed. You had to scheme to get him in man coverage on crossing routes or quick slants. All Hurst needed was to be moving as the ball was coming to him and he could outrun most any defender and take it to the house.  I saw two Buffalo Bill CBs chase him 60 yards and not get a step on him. He was clocked at 21 MPH on that 60 yard run which is INSANE CB level top end speed. 

Keotter wasted so much talent forcing players into his inflexible scheme and was utterly predictable. 

100% Agree with everything you said. His top-line speed was completely wasted and lack of pre snap motion and no creativity must have had our offense screaming knowing how dangerous they could have been with a competent play caller. Unfortunately Hurst feel victim to the same thing you hear a lot of RB's say. When they aren't used regularly it's harder to get in a rhythm and set up your defender once you learn his tendencies.

1 hour ago, gazoo said:

Watch our 3rd down conversions jump up, also red zone efficiency will skyrocket. 

We can only pray that we will see the day this happens after the dire predications of death and world famine if we didn’t draft a QB this year. So far it looks like the meteor may have missed earth due to a celestial unicorn redirecting it.

TBF, there is a d@mn big A$$ rocket currently headed our way literally, so there’s that. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

I think he was one of the best FA signings across the league.  Sneaky nice move & you said it, he is an excellent receiving threat.  With Pitts added, there will be some massive room for him to kill it on dump offs!!

Biggest reason I couldn't agree with everyone desperate to draft a RB.  Mike Davis was a beast last year, he may be older, but he's got fresh legs.

On 5/7/2021 at 12:35 PM, Dirtier Bird said:

I recall another high draft pick unicorn named Aundray Bruce. We even tried him at TE some. Never lived up to all the hype. I wish Pitts the best, but sometimes it just doesn't work out at the next level.

The Falcons did a poor job of scouting prospects in those days.  Basically, if you performed well in a major conference.  Bruce was a beast, but did not have much going on above his shoulders.   

3 hours ago, Southern California Liar said:

Terry Robitskie had a very similar quote about Julio his rookie year. Something about how you could feel the ground shaking when he ran by and it was like a race horse was running near you.

https://www.onlineathens.com/sports/2012-08-19/falcons-julio-jones-looking-shine-year-2

Sure did. Had to look it up to see for myself.

4 hours ago, Southern California Liar said:

Terry Robitskie had a very similar quote about Julio his rookie year. Something about how you could feel the ground shaking when he ran by and it was like a race horse was running near you.

"You're talking about a vertical, explosive guy who ... Julio moves the earth when he runs. People don't realize that. When Julio passes by you, the ground is shaking."

11 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

In 2012 when the Falcons had Julio, Roddy in his Prime, and the greatest TE in NFL history they said teams couldn’t double all three of them.

But as we saw before Julio got here teams could double Roddy and Tony and Jenkins couldn’t beat one on one coverage.

Julio will get doubled. The question is can Ridley consistently beat single coverage and force them to double him every snap?

Because if he can do that and Pitts can be as good as advertised then defenses will have a real problem.

Of course this is assuming the oline can pass protect Ryan

Whenever they ask, "how can you defend that, pick your poison," I think back to all the points we didn't score in the playoffs, and all the Superbowls we didn't win with all those "weapons."

On 5/7/2021 at 10:59 AM, Sun Tzu 7 said:

In 2012 when the Falcons had Julio, Roddy in his Prime, and the greatest TE in NFL history they said teams couldn’t double all three of them.

But as we saw before Julio got here teams could double Roddy and Tony and Jenkins couldn’t beat one on one coverage.

Julio will get doubled. The question is can Ridley consistently beat single coverage and force them to double him every snap?

Because if he can do that and Pitts can be as good as advertised then defenses will have a real problem.

Bro the Jenk man had one year with 7 TDs and another with 777 rec yards. That was before TonyG even got here. He could beat one on one coverage.

On 5/7/2021 at 10:43 PM, supercollider said:

Whenever they ask, "how can you defend that, pick your poison," I think back to all the points we didn't score in the playoffs, and all the Superbowls we didn't win with all those "weapons."

Who was putting the game plans together “with all those weapons”? 

the answer for most years were incompetent, predictable OCs who forced players in their inflexible schemes. 

The only OC Ryan has ever had in the same league as what Brees and Brady had virtually their entire careers was Kyle Shanahan. And what happened when Ryan had a top line OC? By 2nd season we made NFL history by being 7th highest scoring offense in NFL history and Ryan won MVP. We also win the Super Bowl that year but dumb, idiot play calling let other team back in the game them out defense collapsed.

In no world does HC Bill Belichick allow 5 step drop passing plays in that exact game situation where a chip shot FG ices the win. In no world will Shanny ever make that mistake again.  That said, Ryan and his offensive weapons had the game won against the NFLs #1 ranked defense while dragging the NFLs #26 ranked defense along with it. 

On 5/7/2021 at 10:59 AM, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Which is where running the ball will be important and catching the defense off guard so they can't just pin their ears back and go after Ryan. I think Smith will make us top 16 in rushing this year, hopefully that is enough with all our weapons.

17 hours ago, gazoo said:

Who was putting the game plans together “with all those weapons”? 

the answer for most years were incompetent, predictable OCs who forced players in their inflexible schemes. 

The e only OC Ryan has ever had in the same league as what Brees and Brady had virtually their entire careers was Kyle Shanahan. And what happened when Ryan had a top line OC? By 2nd season we made NFL history by being 7th highest scoring offense in NFL history. We also win the Super Bowl that year but dumb, idiot play calling let other team back in the game them out defense collapsed.

In no world does HC Bill Belichick allow 5 step drop passing plays in that exact game situation where a chip shot FG ices the win. In no world will Shanny ever make that mistake again.  That said, Ryan and his offensive weapons had the game won against the NFLs #1 ranked defense while dragging the NFLs #26 ranked defense along with it. 

Thank you, Gazoo.  You made two very strong points that are absolute facts:

1.  Matt Ryan has been operating under incompetent management.  He has had to work through several offensive scheme changes that were mostly inept.  It is a hardship to learn a new scheme.  Brees, Brady and Rodgers have, for the most part, operated under the same scheme their whole careers.  That is a major advantage.  It is a wonder that Ryan has performed as well as he has.

2.  He was the best QB in the league under Shanny (second season) and he played like a champion during that SB.  Ryan should be a super bowl champion.  He should already have that distinction in his resume.    If not for the moronic HC calling the shots, Ryan would already be considered a future HOF'er.

Matt Ryan has about four good seasons left in him (my guess).  He could still win a championship.  What he needs now is a stable and reasonably good OC.  A little help from his defense would also be nice for a change.

I don't expect much from this team this coming season, but if the OL can be stabilized, the defense raised to the middle of the pack and if AS calls rational games, this team will certainly be considered among the best in the league.  

And finally, Matt Ryan will get the recognition that he so justly deserves.    

I apologize for allowing my previous post to veer so far away from the OP.  

Regarding Pitts, he was the smart choice at #4.  There has been a lot of hyperbole about this prospect, but let's keep in mind that he is only just a kid.  Heck, I hear he will turn just 20 this year!  

I am optimistic about his future (barring injury) more so because if KP's level of maturity and dedication to his craft.  He has the work ethic and shear talent reminiscent of Tony Gonzalez.  Will he be the next TG?  Only time will tell, but I like his chances.