2021 MiLB Season

Unknøwn

On 5/27/2021 at 3:07 PM, K26dp said:

Going to guess left field. 😶

After all the Ozuna stuff, it would be cool to have a rotation of 4 guys Acuna, Pache, Waters, and Harris and move each into the DH on some sort of rotation. However, I am not sure if Harris can hang with the other 3 in the OF. I have seen limited info on his defensive prowess. Any place to see that?

3 minutes ago, JDFIII said:

After all the Ozuna stuff, it would be cool to have a rotation of 4 guys Acuna, Pache, Waters, and Harris and move each into the DH on some sort of rotation. However, I am not sure if Harris can hang with the other 3 in the OF. I have seen limited info on his defensive prowess. Any place to see that?

Defensive metrics for minor leagues aren't easily come by. From my looks at him, he'd be more than capable at a corner spot and would be average in centerfield. Maybe more than that if he keeps working on his routes. Arm is plus, speed is plus. 

2 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

I would imagine Michael Harris will also get a promotion in the near future. He's just killing High-A pitching at Rome. Leading all of High-A in hitting.

Yeah, we talk about that in the podcast. Mississippi has a gaping hole in left field waiting to be filled. 

12 minutes ago, K26dp said:

Defensive metrics for minor leagues aren't easily come by. From my looks at him, he'd be more than capable at a corner spot and would be average in centerfield. Maybe more than that if he keeps working on his routes. Arm is plus, speed is plus. 

I know you had said 2023 for Harris, but does the Ozuna news speed that up at all? I’m assuming a definite no this year and likely not to start next year. But does mid 2022 seem a little more reasonable? 

Ideally we would have Waters, Pache and Acuña starting in the OF next year if I had to guess right?

12 hours ago, tl;dr said:

I know you had said 2023 for Harris, but does the Ozuna news speed that up at all? I’m assuming a definite no this year and likely not to start next year. But does mid 2022 seem a little more reasonable? 

Ideally we would have Waters, Pache and Acuña starting in the OF next year if I had to guess right?

Yes, ideally Waters would polish off his development in Gwinnett this year and be the left fielder in 2022, assuming he's not traded or something. Hopefully the new CBA will fix service time screwage. 

What happens with Ozuna shouldn't have any bearing on Michael Harris. If he shows he's ready in 2022, he'll come up, if not he won't. It's bad organizations that rush prospects. But I'm assuming a mid-season promotion to AA for Harris this year, then a full season in AAA in 2022. Could he come up in 2022, maybe at the end of the year? Certainly. But late 2022/early 2023 is pretty much the same thing. 

7 hours ago, K26dp said:

Yes, ideally Waters would polish off his development in Gwinnett this year and be the left fielder in 2022, assuming he's not traded or something. Hopefully the new CBA will fix service time screwage. 

What happens with Ozuna shouldn't have any bearing on Michael Harris. If he shows he's ready in 2022, he'll come up, if not he won't. It's bad organizations that rush prospects. But I'm assuming a mid-season promotion to AA for Harris this year, then a full season in AAA in 2022. Could he come up in 2022, maybe at the end of the year? Certainly. But late 2022/early 2023 is pretty much the same thing. 

Let’s hope Waters is ready then. Would be kind of cool to have the OF settled with Waters, Pache and Acuña next year.

Didn’t know if the looming DH would open up a spot for Harris a little earlier. It feels like the Braves do a good job of not leaving people down in the minors for too long. Harris has the look of a guy that could be ready sooner than expected too

1 hour ago, tl;dr said:

Let’s hope Waters is ready then. Would be kind of cool to have the OF settled with Waters, Pache and Acuña next year.

Didn’t know if the looming DH would open up a spot for Harris a little earlier. It feels like the Braves do a good job of not leaving people down in the minors for too long. Harris has the look of a guy that could be ready sooner than expected too

Harris will rise as quickly as he wants and I have a feeling that will be fast. Bryce Ball is one to watch for that DH role but hes a little further out. Guy is a beast at 6'6, 240lbs. He played in college so he's 22 playing A ball but hes got big time power.

48 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Harris will rise as quickly as he wants and I have a feeling that will be fast. Bryce Ball is one to watch for that DH role but hes a little further out. Guy is a beast at 6'6, 240lbs. He played in college so he's 22 playing A ball but hes got big time power.

Seems like we have some good problems to have in the future. I know I've heard a lot about Ball. Looks like...

Catcher: Contreras, Langeliers
1B: Freeman, Ball
2B: Ozzie
SS: Swanson, Shewmake
3B: Riley
OF: Waters, Pache, Acuna, Harris

I think we ultimately keep both Dansby and Freddie around, but if it's one or the other, it's easily Freddie. Hopefully we don't have to make that decision. Ball can play some 1B too so we could even let him play there some and let Freddie DH if we wanted to give him a day off. I know he has struggled a bit to start this year, but he has destroyed all pitching he's seen. Have to believe he gets it figured out. 

On 6/2/2021 at 11:16 AM, tl;dr said:

Seems like we have some good problems to have in the future. I know I've heard a lot about Ball. Looks like...

Catcher: Contreras, Langeliers
1B: Freeman, Ball
2B: Ozzie
SS: Swanson, Shewmake
3B: Riley
OF: Waters, Pache, Acuna, Harris

I think we ultimately keep both Dansby and Freddie around, but if it's one or the other, it's easily Freddie. Hopefully we don't have to make that decision. Ball can play some 1B too so we could even let him play there some and let Freddie DH if we wanted to give him a day off. I know he has struggled a bit to start this year, but he has destroyed all pitching he's seen. Have to believe he gets it figured out. 

Shewmake is off to an awful start at Mississippi.   Batting a cool .100 so far.  Wonder if they bump him down to Rome soon if he doesn’t improve ?

Edited by 007dawg

6 minutes ago, 007dawg said:

Shewmake is off to an awful start at Mississippi.   Batting a cool .100 so far.  Wonder if they bump him down to Rome soon if he doesn’t improve ?

I doubt it. Gotta give him a little bit more time to adjust even though it’s been a bit. We drafted him high for a reason 

On 6/2/2021 at 10:20 AM, Unknøwn said:

I'm a little cooler on Ball maybe than most, though there's a lot to like. He's got an excellent approach exhibits patience and a willingness to go with pitches. He's insanely strong too, and will probably have a high BABiP just based on exit velo, even though he's very slow. 

I'm concerned he can lapse into passivity sometimes. He has some work to do on pitch recognition. Also, he's probably going to be unplayable at any position, so the bat will have to carry him. He'll be a big leaguer, just a little concerned about his overall impact. 

5 hours ago, 007dawg said:

5 hours ago, tl;dr said:

I doubt it. Gotta give him a little bit more time to adjust even though it’s been a bit. We drafted him high for a reason 

Yeah, Shewmake is working through a swing change. There's nothing to be gained by dropping him, other than displacing Beau Philip who is starting to show progress.

43 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I didn't see it but it sounds awful. Durham postponed their game tonight as a result.

Yeah, he immediately fell over on the mound and was convulsing on the ground. Even on the stretcher you could see his legs jumping. 

On 6/4/2021 at 1:48 AM, AUTiger7222 said:

Just pulled up his numbers, why would they mess with his swing?

.323/.381/.487 (.868) hitter at Texas A&M and .318/.389/.473 (.862) in 51 games at Rome in 2019. Why would you screw that up?

When you change over to wood from aluminum you usually have to adjust some things. Aluminum can hide some deficiencies.