Phillies @ Braves

tl;dr

Jesse Biddle was awful his first time out but he's been solid since including tonight.

5 G, 8 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 0 HR, 3 BB, 9 SO, 3.38 ERA

Like to see him give up a tad fewer hits but at least he's not walking people and he's got more strikeouts than innings pitched.

13 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Weirdly enough....while the loss sucked and annoying, I don't feel too bad about it.

The biggest difference was 2 mental errors rather than physical issues.

The fact that the teams to be getting back to that "never quit with snit" mindset back is encouraging.

I mean the Braves brought the winning run to the plate and he put a good swing on it...just barely missing it.

The late inning offense feels different than it has all year so we will see.

The braves can and I think still will take the series.

I thought Adrianza got all of it. Sure looked good off the bat.

14 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Weirdly enough....while the loss sucked and annoying, I don't feel too bad about it.

The biggest difference was 2 mental errors rather than physical issues.

The fact that the teams to be getting back to that "never quit with snit" mindset back is encouraging.

I mean the Braves brought the winning run to the plate and he put a good swing on it...just barely missing it.

The late inning offense feels different than it has all year so we will see.

The braves can and I think still will take the series.

Braves biggest issue right now IMO is Marcell Ozuna, especially his struggles against LHP. He has only 3 hits this year against LHP. Even Freddie and Ozzie have struggled against LHP this year. Braves are now 2-5 in games facing a LHP starter and most of that is because of the offensive struggles against LHP. They looked ready to snap out of that tonight against the Jays but after those couple early runs we did nothing offensively the rest of the game aside from Ozuna's homerun.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

The Braves are now 35 games into the 2021 season and have yet to get above .500. The last time the Braves went the first 35 games of the season without getting above .500 was 2017. In 2017 the Braves never got above .500 that year in route to 72 wins. So this is something to think about for all the "it's early, there's no reason to be concerned" crowd. In fact, the start of this season closely resembles the 2001 season. That year the Braves were 2-1 and 3-2 before dropping below .500 and not making it back above until game 51. They then lost game 52 to drop back to .500 at 26-26 before finally getting back over .500 to stay at 27-26 in game 53. The 2001 team finished at 88 wins and won the division by 2 games over the Phillies.

No reason to make any assessment until Memorial Day. That’s about the 1/3 mark of the season. You never know what you have until then. Patience. They could go on a 13-6 run and be 30-24 and in good shape in this mediocre East Division

I believe it was the legendary Dean of Atlanta Sports Talk, Beau Bock who uses the Memorial Day standard. 

Edited by Friendly Folk