Arthur Smith interview with Rich Eisen

6 hours ago, Speezy said:

I happen to like Arthur’s attitude. Comes off as a combination of a business commander that can still enjoy a beer with you. His approach is certain to spark a culture change no matter how the Julio sitch goes down. Ha, the ‘grade yourself’ question to Eisen was BDE.

I like it too. All I’m saying is that he needs to be able to back it up with wins. 

"there are lots of ways to get under the cap" ?

We've re-structured contracts on just about everybody except Grady. How else can we get under the cap to keep Julio?

12 minutes ago, rudy said:

"there are lots of ways to get under the cap" ?

We've re-structured contracts on just about everybody except Grady. How else can we get under the cap to keep Julio?

Grady can be extended or restructured. Same goes for Julio if they feel he is part of the long term plan. 

We can cut some guys that have not performed or may not be needed (K Smith, Oliver, Sheffield, Senat, etc)

11 hours ago, marvinthemartian said:

I have a feeling that if Smith is winning a lot of games we won’t care if he comes off as Sean Payton-esque but if he loses a lot of games that abruptness will get old quickly LOL. 

Who the *uck said that? He comes off a well grounded, no BS, confident guy. Not comparable in the slightest if you ask me. Gross thought to be honest 

1 hour ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I liked his answer, he didn't give some Dan Quinn vanilla answer to placate the masses.

Quinn would've totally said something like: "I can't guarantee anything at this point in time, but we fully expect Julio to be on the Falcons this year." Following that statement there would be a collective sigh of relief by fans only for him to still be traded potentially. Like you said, he'd try to please the masses like he always tried to please everyone and never be an a-hole.

ASmith is a fresh breath of air.

Just listened to it. I'm not sure that I'd call him abrupt so much as he gets to point with all the "coach speak". He obviously knew the Julio question was going to come up and he addressed it in a matter of fact manner as he could. If you were able to listen to the "Bussin' with The Boys" podcast (with Taylor Lewan and Will Compton) that Arthur was on about a month ago, it was obvious that they like and respect the **** out of him as a coach. Now, hopefully, that carries over a HC with the whole locker room. 

Disclaimer - I liked how DQ seemed as a person. Just seemed like a genuine dude, but I did get tired of the rah rah coach speak. AS seems like he's the same way in the locker room as he presents himself to the media. No nonsense, but doesn't take himself too seriously. He has self confidence in his coaching ability and doesn't seem to need the rah rah stuff.

Just the opinion of a Goober.....

12 hours ago, falcons007 said:

And losing the locker room before you know it. 

Sorry if Im misunderstanding, but players and coaches from around the league have all spoken to the great leader and great person AS is. I would bet my lunch he won't lose a locker room like DQ did or like Jim Mora did or like Petrino did. One of the first things AS said was, accountability for every player. People respect that, vets and rookies. It means no favorites. If you perform, you get to play. If you mess up in practice, you dont get extra reps like some of the starters would do under DQ. AS has said this.

I think AS will be a good coach who is friendly enough with players but also in control of the reigns as well. Thats how he earns respect.

Just because AS doesnt say flat out what he will do with a player, in the MEDIA....the MEDIA, doesn't mean he hasnt had personal discussions with the FO, the player himself and the team about potential outcomes. 

8 minutes ago, runshoot said:

Sorry if Im misunderstanding, but players and coaches from around the league have all spoken to the great leader and great person AS is. I would bet my lunch he won't lose a locker room like DQ did or like Jim Mora did or like Petrino did. One of the first things AS said was, accountability for every player. People respect that, vets and rookies. It means no favorites. If you perform, you get to play. If you mess up in practice, you dont get extra reps like some of the starters would do under DQ. AS has said this.

I think AS will be a good coach who is friendly enough with players but also in control of the reigns as well. Thats how he earns respect.

Just because AS doesnt say flat out what he will do with a player, in the MEDIA....the MEDIA, doesn't mean he hasnt had personal discussions with the FO, the player himself and the team about potential outcomes. 

I didn’t say anything about what AS said in interview or about players. I just added to the poster who replied, this **** will get old if he doesn’t win. Yes, you lose games, the HC will lose the locker room and players will start tuning out the coaches talk. Just win..  Accountability is  nothing new from HC. Mike Singletary dropped his pants to teach accountability to Niners players. **** I am tired of the offseason, can’t wait for actual games. 

10 hours ago, atljbo said:

I think we will know in a month or so...  I dont think this will linger all offseason... After we create the money to sign the rookies we are good...  So the move (the trade) will be to sign the rookies and have some money to sign a freeagent or so.... Or we will find a way to create that money and julio aint going no where

I think he will be here this year, but I do think its his last year here.

12 hours ago, falcons007 said:

And losing the locker room before you know it. 

Well so far our “locker room” is 4-12, so if there are any guy’s who think they’re above a team fist philosophy or think they’re smarter than the HC, then they are a problem & we won’t miss em.

This ain’t Dan, people pleaser, Quinn who needs to be liked & who plays vets because of some NFL “right of passage”.  Quinn was a big problem & doesn’t stack up to AS imho.

You treat the players like men & everyone is equal on the team.  You’re accountable to the team, the coach & yourself.  Ultimately if you’re not the best player at your position then you shouldn’t start.  If your pride gets in the way of that, then you either humble yourself or perhaps you should move on. Because winning football games is the name of the game.

I’m looking forward to seeing how smarter coaches & GM’s operate now.  I think we’ve all grown tired of being out schemed, out coached & outsmarted.

4 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I didn’t say anything about what AS said in interview or about players. I just added to the poster who replied, this **** will get old if he doesn’t win. Yes, you lose games, the HC will lose the locker room and players will start tuning out the coaches talk. Just win..  Accountability is  nothing new from HC. Mike Singletary dropped his pants to teach accountability to Niners players. **** I am tired of the offseason, can’t wait for actual games. 

Really kind of a pointless post then "it will get old if he doesn't win". Yeah EVERYTHING is old if you don't win, why even say it?

And no, accountability is not with every coach. Smitty and DQ both let vets and "starters" get playing time when we had younger and potentially better players on the bench. Morris was the first coach to sit someone. Gurley the garbage can was sat and Morris installed a new lead back. 

1 minute ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Well so far our “locker room” is 4-12, so if there are any guy’s who think they’re above a team fist philosophy or think they’re smarter than the HC, then they are a problem & we won’t miss em.

This ain’t Dan, people pleaser, Quinn who needs to be liked & who plays vets because of some NFL “right of passage”.  Quinn was a big problem & doesn’t stack up to AS imho.

You treat the players like men & everyone is equal on the team.  You’re accountable to the team, the coach & yourself.  Ultimately if you’re not the best player at your position then you shouldn’t start.  If your pride gets in the way of that, then you either humble yourself or perhaps you should move on. Because winning football games is the name of the game.

I’m looking forward to seeing how smarter coaches & GM’s operate now.  I think we’ve all grown tired of being out schemed, out coached & outsmarted.

Yep thats what I said too. But instead people are focusing on how AS can lose before the dammed season even started. WTH

4 minutes ago, runshoot said:

Really kind of a pointless post then "it will get old if he doesn't win". Yeah EVERYTHING is old if you don't win, why even say it?

And no, accountability is not with every coach. Smitty and DQ both let vets and "starters" get playing time when we had younger and potentially better players on the bench. Morris was the first coach to sit someone. Gurley the garbage can was sat and Morris installed a new lead back. 

That is a myth, it’s not Smitty or DQ thing. Smitty lead the league in rookie snaps in 2008, DQ did in 2016. Smitty and DQ both played UDFA on the team. As they build rosters every year the rookie and young guy snaps go down, more starters play your scheme. It’s very hard for Rookies to play in NE, KC or even GB when they were/are winning SB. 
Which of the young guys went some where and did anything in NFL? They weren’t that good. 
Why say losing gets old? Coz you talk big, you better walk the talk. I don’t care what AS does or any coach if they don’t win.

12 minutes ago, runshoot said:

Yep thats what I said too. But instead people are focusing on how AS can lose before the dammed season even started. WTH

We all know in our hearts how some folks here will do anything to undermine this team.

Now there are several who are just young & dumb & they’ve been programmed to see everything in the worse possible way.

Since this forum is open to everyone including the hopelessly misguided, I fully expect it.  That’s why I enjoy the ones here who think for themselves & push back on the trolls & the misinformation crowd.

I swear bro, the phrase, “misery loves company” is a real thing.  It all begins in your own mind.  Look to see who a person hangs around with.  See what they listen to & what they watch or expose themselves to, and it’ll be a good indication of who they are & how they view things in life.

We all fall short though, but it’s how you react to learning moments in life.  It’s all about the choices we make.  Today everyone is self absorbed & want to fit in.  Unfortunately social media is nothing but a lie 90% of the time.  

People aren’t owed a fkg thing in life.  Just ask them how is that working for ya?  LOL.  I’ve been speaking to lots of business owners & upper Mgt people & it’s reached a point where they cannot find anyone willing to work these days.  I don’t even bring it up, but on the last 2 months alone I’ve been told this by men in many different Industires & every facet of life. Scary!

How the **** did I veer off in this rabbit hole? :lol:

1 hour ago, ahawkins said:

Everything is for sale.. just have to pay the right price. 

Not true. Sorry bro.  Some folks still have values & morals & personal responsibility & who will never sell out.

You are worthless if you think money is the answer to anything. 

11 hours ago, falcons007 said:

Going in to the season if they think the guys in locker room are some one else’s guys. I want them fired. Every single player is your player in the locker room once you have the roster decided. Doesn’t matter who drafted them. If there is division of my guys and some one else’s guys, good luck winning in NFL.

I know, man. I wasn't being serious... thought that would be more obvious. Simply making light of the idea since we just dealt with the opposite where DQ totally lost the team.

5 hours ago, marvinthemartian said:

I like it too. All I’m saying is that he needs to be able to back it up with wins. 

Right on. Attitude is somewhat irrelevant as long as the W's are piling up.

Regarding his 'tude though, I also liked how he answered Eisen's question about welcoming the draft picks to the team. Instead of gushing over KP, Arthur highlighted 6th rounder Frank Darby's big personality (fork 'em devils!).

While it may mean nothing to some, I took away that Arthur truly values the power of mentality. Going to be fun watching how the character of this new team shapeshifts!

11 hours ago, Speezy said:

I happen to like Arthur’s attitude. Comes off as a combination of a business commander that can still enjoy a beer with you. His approach is certain to spark a culture change no matter how the Julio sitch goes down. Ha, the ‘grade yourself’ question to Eisen was BDE.

Yeah any player making millions wants to get up in their feelings that's on them... Arthur Smith is about doing what's best for the team.

And yeah he doesn't give af... just throwing that BDE everywhere lol. 

6 hours ago, falcons007 said:

Locker room of winners lead by losers, a coach who threw the **** games away. Is AS a winner or a loser who is leading the talent? We shall see, I like and excited about AS but he hasn’t won anything in NFL. He better back the talk. 

Ok. He better “back the talk” what talk? If this fails he’ll be gone. Rinse and repeat. Literally the history of the NFL. I feel you though man! I get you. You’ve seen enough. Put up or shut up. I’m glad you’re excited. I am too. I really am. Feels professional to me. 

17 hours ago, fuego said:

Wow. DIdn't expect the answer to be so non-committal. I thought I was going to hear 'of course he is'. Instead talk about the cap.  🤔

One thing is for sure, AS is not a political puppet. He speaks direct and seems forth coming. I, having had my share of bosses, prefer honesty over political garb. But what he might lack in is being tactful. And that can and will rub some the wrong way.