Kerryon My Wayward Son…

Watched a few games and saw flashes of his potential. A bit of an injury concern. Could be worth a look to see what he is all about. Hard to gauge actual play with the way the Lions have been performing. I say bring him and see if he is a fit. 

4 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Injury concerns got me like "no"

This. RB is a position which generally comes with a pretty short shelf life as it is, so bringing in a dude who has already shown he likely can't be counted on to stay on the field is a big no for me.

Looking back at Johnson's draft profile on NFL.com, his player comp was Tevin Coleman... which seems kind of fitting. Two dudes with good speed & size, decent receiver & pass protector... but terrible vision, not much agility, and an inability to stay healthy.

Detroit Lions v Chicago Bears
Getty Images

Lions General Manager Brad Holmes says the status of running back Kerryon Johnson has not been determined.

Despite a report that Johnson will be released, Holmes said this morning on PFT Live that Johnson’s status isn’t certain.

Holmes described the situation with Johnson as “a work in progress.”

Even if the Lions have decided that Johnson won’t be on the roster this year, it may be worth trying to trade him, rather than release him. Johnson is just 23 years old and has shown enough flashes of talent that some team may be willing to trade a late-round pick for him.

Johnson is heading into the final year of his rookie contract and has a salary of $1.37 million this season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/06/brad-holmes-kerryon-johnsons-status-with-lions-is-not-resolved/

8 minutes ago, rugger8 said:

I think he's been healthy for the last year or so - I think he just got buried by Swift.

In just 10 games during the 2018 season, he had 150 touches.
In just 8 games during 2019, he had 123 touches.
In 16 games last year, he had just 71 touches.

So, last year he was healthy for all 16 games, but that seems incredibly dependent on the fact he was barely used... like you said, after losing the starting role to Swift.

What good is a back who can only stay available if you don't actually use him?

6 minutes ago, The Architect said:

I saw Lions fans saying that he wasn't the same after tearing his knee up. Still a good pass blocker but no explosiveness. So basically current Gurley without the RedZone ability.

I heard something similar. His rookie year he looked to be able to break contact and hit holes pretty efficiently. Sometimes a scenery change can do wonders. He was able to make it all 16 games last year, but did not play a whole lot, so it’s a bit hard to tell which direction he is trending. 

1 minute ago, k-train said:

What good is a back who can only stay available if you don't actually use him?

It's a question of risk v reward. I'm assuming he's very cheap. If he's continued his recovery during the time he has not been utilized, he might be a solid contributor. If he's not as healthy and not recovered, I'd hope it wouldn't be a large investment lost. 

I'm not going to bat for the guy, but seems like a situation worth checking out. Could be like a Frank Gore type situation.

31 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Watched a few games and saw flashes of his potential. A bit of an injury concern. Could be worth a look to see what he is all about. Hard to gauge actual play with the way the Lions have been performing. I say bring him and see if he is a fit. 

I see what you did there!

1 hour ago, rugger8 said:

It's a question of risk v reward. I'm assuming he's very cheap. If he's continued his recovery during the time he has not been utilized, he might be a solid contributor. If he's not as healthy and not recovered, I'd hope it wouldn't be a large investment lost. 

I'm not going to bat for the guy, but seems like a situation worth checking out. Could be like a Frank Gore type situation.

I hear ya. Just feel like at this point with him, if you go to kick the tires, the doors will probably fall off.

giphy.gif

Seriously though...

"During his time at Auburn, Johnson suffered a shoulder injury at the end of the 2015 season that required surgery. He suffered another injury to the same shoulder in the Tigers’ final regular season game of the 2017 season but did play through the pain in the SEC Championship game.

Between those two shoulder injuries, Johnson also missed two games in 2017 with a hamstring problem and one game in 2016 with a sprained ankle. But the lengthy injury history goes back even further.

While at Madison Academy in Alabama for high school, Johnson suffered injuries to both shoulders, a right knee sprain and a broken thumb while playing as an option quarterback.

With the Lions, Johnson missed the final six games of his rookie campaign in 2018 with a knee injury. That malady is not directly related to the knee injury suffered Sunday in the Lions’ loss to the Vikings." 

This doesn't even take into account missing half the season in 2019. During his three seasons at Auburn he only had 575 touches total & he's only had 344 touches in three seasons in the NFL. So, it's not like a heavy workload is why he's breaking down. The dude is just ridiculously fragile.

18 minutes ago, k-train said:

Seriously though...

"During his time at Auburn, Johnson suffered a shoulder injury at the end of the 2015 season that required surgery. He suffered another injury to the same shoulder in the Tigers’ final regular season game of the 2017 season but did play through the pain in the SEC Championship game.

Between those two shoulder injuries, Johnson also missed two games in 2017 with a hamstring problem and one game in 2016 with a sprained ankle. But the lengthy injury history goes back even further.

While at Madison Academy in Alabama for high school, Johnson suffered injuries to both shoulders, a right knee sprain and a broken thumb while playing as an option quarterback.

With the Lions, Johnson missed the final six games of his rookie campaign in 2018 with a knee injury. That malady is not directly related to the knee injury suffered Sunday in the Lions’ loss to the Vikings." 

This doesn't even take into account missing half the season in 2019. During his three seasons at Auburn he only had 575 touches total & he's only had 344 touches in three seasons in the NFL. So, it's not like a heavy workload is why he's breaking down. The dude is just ridiculously fragile.

TATF loves those washed up Soft Injury ridden RB. 

28 minutes ago, k-train said:

Seriously though...

I don't even think the guy is eligible to be an organ donor anymore