NFL.com - Dalman will be among best from 4-7th rounds

7 minutes ago, ATLskinjob said:

Feels like the first time in a long time that we're gonna see legitimate competition for a position.

Last regime loved preaching competitiveness, but when did you ever actually see someone get knocked out from the starting position without an injury being involved?

The staff feeling comfortable enough with Gage that they traded Sanu away is the only instance of this that comes to mind right away, and even that was a mid-season move 

9 hours ago, ATLskinjob said:

Feels like the first time in a long time that we're gonna see legitimate competition for a position.

Last regime loved preaching competitiveness, but when did you ever actually see someone get knocked out from the starting position without an injury being involved?

It helps coming in that no one on the roster is one of "their guys".  They have no undue loyalty to anyone.  Hopefully this mindset stays true.      

9 hours ago, ATLskinjob said:

Totally agree.  I like it.  Legitimately let the best guys start.  I don't care who starts as long as they are the best players we have at a position.  And if the coaching staff feels we don't have anyone good, then find some money and go get someone who is.  

12 hours ago, Foo Falcons said:

I keep saying it. Dalman is our week 1 starter at Center. Hennessey is solid swing interior guy

The more I see of him, the more I see the comparison to Alex Mack.  He isn't on the same level that Mack was in his prime, but I think he could eventually be at least as good as Mack has been the last couple years.   Will that be this year?  I really don't know, but I think he is in a great place to reach his potential with AS and Ledford here to coach him.  

1 hour ago, Brewcrew said:

It helps coming in that no one on the roster is one of "their guys".  They have no undue loyalty to anyone.  Hopefully this mindset stays true.      

Yep, not having "their guys" means they can come in with clear eyes and decide who is actually the best player for the job rather than sticking with someone out of loyalty.  It is the only way we get the best 22 on the field.    I just hope that AS doesn't eventually fall into the same trap DQ did over time.. where he sticks with his guys no matter what as opposed to keeping the mindset of "may the best player win."

1 hour ago, pa_falcon_fan said:

Totally agree.  I like it.  Legitimately let the best guys start.  I don't care who starts as long as they are the best players we have at a position.  And if the coaching staff feels we don't have anyone good, then find some money and go get someone who is.  

Wait until they actually get some real money to play with..

16 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

Wait until they actually get some real money to play with..

That is an exciting thought, for sure.  I'm really impressed with what they've done so far with almost no money to work with so it isn't hard to imagine being even more impressed if they had the flexibility to really spend on guys they wanted.  

I hope for the best with him, but for the overall question he is an obvious pick because despite getting picked in the 4th round he was only the 5th center picked in the draft. He simply has a much higher pedigree and path to playing than almost any other player picked in the 4th round. There were roughly 10 DEs picked at that point and 15+ CBs. 

1 hour ago, Brewcrew said:

No doubt...that is why coaches have an easy time coming in the door saying " there is going to be an open competition".

Smitty did it.

Quinn did it.

But as time went on and the guys left over became their guys , that "open competition" became more closed.

And that happens with pretty much every coach.

11 hours ago, ATLskinjob said:

Morris effectively benched Gurley last year 

2 minutes ago, ATLskinjob said:

Oh yeah good call. I honestly was a pretty big fan of Morris while he was here. I really liked how he handled himself. I think he could end up as a pretty solid head coach some day.

Same.

I would have liked for him to have stayed but I get moving on from him.The organization needed a clean slate.

I genuinely hope that he knocks it out of the park this year and he gets a HV gig next.

15 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

I loved the pick because of his bloodlines, his film and the fact he seems to be more physically ready than Hennessy. Now if Henny is The Guy, he will have won the job fair and square and we'll have great depth there with Dalman.

I think you can say the same thing with Gono, Andrews, and Mayfield as well.   May the best player win and start.. but it sure will be nice to have quality depth behind whoever does.

I still think Henny will start but it will be a good competition. Having that year under your belt is huge at center.

Gono/Mayfield will be a great battle at LG and the loser will likely be on McGary's heals by week 8 if he is still underperforming.

On 5/5/2021 at 9:32 PM, pa_falcon_fan said:

Which Rounds 4-7 draftees in '21 will be best in NFL? | 'Path to the Draft'

https://www.nfl.com/videos/which-rounds-4-7-draftees-in-21-will-be-best-in-nfl-path-to-the-draft

i wanna believe in Dalman but I believed all the Henessy hype last year and he had a dud rook season - maybe Hennessey will make the jump this year - Chris Morgan was so terrible as an O-Line coach developing our young players