Justin Houston?

2 hours ago, Xfactor said:

We have to restructure Grady to pay for our draft class. Is there enough left for Houston and Poole ?  The cap should be north of 200 in 2022 who knows what the cap wizards can do.

Per OTC, a restructure only gains about $6M this year vs an extension which would free up about $10M. Additionally, a restructure likes increases Grady's 2022 hit of nearly $24M to an even larger amount. Given that we already seem to be in an as bad, and possibly worse, cap situation next season, I don't think there is any way we restructure him.

The only way messing with Grady's contract would help is if they give him an extension & can somehow structure it so the hits for 2021 & 2022 are significantly lower than the current projected numbers of $20M & $24M respectively. Doing so almost certainly means massive hits in 2023 & beyond... like $30M or more. I think looking down the road, TF & AS may be hesitant in committing QB money to a DT who will be in his 30's at that point.

It's a messed up situation all around, and those dudes are earning their money trying to figure out what the right move actually is going to be.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Xfactor said:

We have to restructure Grady to pay for our draft class. Is there enough left for Houston and Poole ?  The cap should be north of 200 in 2022 who knows what the cap wizards can do.

I suspect both Julio and Grady will restructure soon.

I mean why wouldn’t they?  They don’t lose money from restructuring. And all that happens is a chunk of their remaining salary gets turned into guaranteed money that becomes a “signing bonus” that they get upfront/immediately, and that amount is then divided across X years, which effectively spreads out the cap hits while lowering this year’s cap hit drastically (usually 30-40%).

It’s a win-win situation.  The only person suffering is Arthur Blank who has to fork out tens of millions now that he would have otherwise had 2-3 more years to spread it across.

If I’m Julio, and I can get $30 million of my remaining $38 million right now, along with a guaranteed 3rd year, and potentially even some more added to that, why wouldn’t I do that??

We can reduce the cap hit on Julio by around $8M, and Grady by about $7M and not even flinch.  AB just has to be willing for fork out about $30M up front to these guys to do it.

Edited by Beef

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, k-train said:

Per OTC, a restructure only gains about $6M this year vs an extension which would free up about $10M. Additionally, a restructure likes increases Grady's 2022 hit of nearly $24M to an even larger amount. Given that we already seem to be in an as bad, and possibly worse, cap situation next season, I don't think there is any way we restructure him.

The only way messing with Grady's contract would help is if they give him an extension & can somehow structure it so the hits for 2021 & 2022 are significantly lower than the current projected numbers of $20M & $24M respectively. Doing so almost certainly means massive hits in 2023 & beyond... like $30M or more. I think looking down the road, TF & AS may be hesitant in committing QB money to a DT who will be in his 30's at that point.

It's a messed up situation all around, and those dudes are earning their money trying to figure out what the right move actually is going to be.

You’re off with your numbers. A restructure of both would add maybe $11m to cap hit in 2022 and $4m in 2023, over what they show as now, while lowering $15m this year.

With the estimated cap increase next year and beyond, we would easily be able to absorb that.

It’s a 1:1 offset. Minus $15m this year equals plus $15m split over the next 2 years.

The kicker is that AB has to dish out upfront cash and the dead money figure goes up for each year. But the cap hit is an even offset, which with as much as the cap is going up after this year shouldn’t be an issue.

Edited by Beef

1 hour ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Dante Fowler is owed quite a large sum of money over the next two years. Jake examined his contract, noting the possible options and their financial ramifications.

2021 Pre June 1st Cut:                                                                  2022 Pre June 1st Cut:
  • Dead Cap: $15.3 million                                                                   Dead Cap: $4.7 million         
  • Savings: $3.3 million                                                                         Savings: $14 million
2021 Pre June 1st Trade:                                                              2022 Pre June 1st Trade:
  • Dead Cap: $4.7 million                                                                      Dead Cap: $4.7 million
  • Savings: $14 million                                                                           Savings: $15 million
2021 Post June 1st Cut:                                                                 2022 Post June 1st Cut:
  • Dead Cap: $10.7 million                                                                   Dead Cap: $4.7 million
  • Savings: $8 million                                                                             Savings: $15 million
2021 Post June 1st Trade:                                                             2022 Post June 1st Trade:
  • Dead Cap: $4.7 million                                                                     Dead Cap: $4.7 million
  • Savings: $14 million                                                                           Savings: $15 million

Interesting. Fowler was Quinns last attempt at getting a pass rush. Flower is not Smith's guy. I can see them letting him go post June 1 or a trade to Dallas for a late pick next year. That 14 mill could be used. Am I reading that right?

1 minute ago, Shaggy 2.0 said:

Interesting. Fowler was Quinns last attempt at getting a pass rush. Flower is not Smith's guy. I can see them letting him go post June 1 or a trade to Dallas for a late pick next year. That 14 mill could be used. Am I reading that right?

Most of Fowlers contract was re-worked and is now incentive based. He took a pay cut back in March. We have no other established edge rushers, He is not going anywhere. He played hurt all of last year. We saw how effective he looked early in the year. I am excited to see him under Peas system.

2 minutes ago, Shaggy 2.0 said:

Yes, you are, but I don't see anyone trading for Fowler with the lack of production and we recently restructured his contract.

6 minutes ago, Shaggy 2.0 said:

Sounds good too me.  Anything associated with Quinn and TD can get the F out.  Of all the years, TD and Quinn managed to have only a handful of players that actually mean something to the team.   Ryan, Ridley, Matthews, Maybe Lindstrom, Jarrett, D Jones, Foye and thats about it.  What a draft king and player evaluator!  You guys dont even want me to post the draft picks this team made before AS and FT came here.  

10 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Most of Fowlers contract was re-worked and is now incentive based. He took a pay cut back in March. We have no other established edge rushers, He is not going anywhere. He played hurt all of last year. We saw how effective he looked early in the year. I am excited to see him under Peas system.

9 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Yes, you are, but I don't see anyone trading for Fowler with the lack of production and we recently restructured his contract.

Yea ya'll are probably right. These are the numbers I got when I looked up his contract on spotrac.com.  The only way we save anything this year is with a trade post june 1. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/dante-fowler-jr-16727/

PRE-6/1 RELEASE

PRE-6/1 RELEASE2021 Dead Cap: $15,333,3342021 Cap Savings: $-4,666,668 PRE-6/1 TRADE2021 Dead Cap: $9,333,3342021 Cap Savings: $1,333,332 POST-6/1 RELEASE2021 Dead Cap: $10,666,6662022 Dead Cap: $4,666,6682021 Cap Savings: $0 POST-6/1 TRADE2021 Dead Cap: $4,666,6662022 Dead Cap: $4,666,6682021 Cap Savings: $6,000,000

4 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

To me Fowler is one of those guys that would thrive in a "Duet."   He needs a guy with similar skills to help flush out the QB.  If we can find that guy, I think Fowler puts up solid numbers.

Fowler only put up decent numbers with AD99. He played with Campbell in JAX and still did very little. I was super high on Fowler when he came out, but he's basically Ray Edwards.

5 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

At this point, we don't have many options.  Most of what is available is in the same boat as him.  We either take a chance, or roll with what we got.

5 hours ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

I would do backflips if we signed Houston and Poole.

4 hours ago, benny said:

if we could somehow clear up cap space for both Nelson and Houston then we actually might not have a horrible defense 

You know, there were times last season when our D actually looked pretty decent.  Against Dallas our D was downright dominating, at least early on.  

Our scheme is going to feature more aggressive play from our DBs.   A lot less playing off receivers, which  I have always hated....   

Get our run game going so our D doesn't get wore out, we can win some games this year.

19 minutes ago, ryanvalz said:

Sounds good too me.  Anything associated with Quinn and TD can get the F out.  Of all the years, TD and Quinn managed to have only a handful of players that actually mean something to the team.   Ryan, Ridley, Matthews, Maybe Lindstrom, Jarrett, D Jones, Foye and thats about it.  What a draft king and player evaluator!  You guys dont even want me to post the draft picks this team made before AS and FT came here.  

There was an analysis done on TD's drafting.... it was found that one out of four of TD's draft picks, were DBs.   That's not counting all the FA's and UDFA's we signed over the years.

I don't think we have much to show for all those DB picks.  We have some talent, but fall way short in production.   It's ironic.... the best DB to come out of all of TD's moves, was Brent Grimes, an UDFA.   Easily the best this team has had.

44 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

There was an analysis done on TD's drafting.... it was found that one out of four of TD's draft picks, were DBs.   That's not counting all the FA's and UDFA's we signed over the years.

I don't think we have much to show for all those DB picks.  We have some talent, but fall way short in production.   It's ironic.... the best DB to come out of all of TD's moves, was Brent Grimes, an UDFA.   Easily the best this team has had.

some of his free agent pickups at CB were good.  asante samuel for a year at least!

2 minutes ago, falconsFTW said:

some of his free agent pickups at CB were good.  asante samuel for a year at least!

We traded for Samuel, but I hear you.   Samuel was one of the best 'gets', unfortunately his play fell off a cliff after 2012.

1 hour ago, Shaggy 2.0 said:

Yea ya'll are probably right. These are the numbers I got when I looked up his contract on spotrac.com.  The only way we save anything this year is with a trade post june 1. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/dante-fowler-jr-16727/

PRE-6/1 RELEASE

PRE-6/1 RELEASE2021 Dead Cap: $15,333,3342021 Cap Savings: $-4,666,668 PRE-6/1 TRADE2021 Dead Cap: $9,333,3342021 Cap Savings: $1,333,332 POST-6/1 RELEASE2021 Dead Cap: $10,666,6662022 Dead Cap: $4,666,6682021 Cap Savings: $0 POST-6/1 TRADE2021 Dead Cap: $4,666,6662022 Dead Cap: $4,666,6682021 Cap Savings: $6,000,000

ill wait and see with fowler..if we get 8 sacks out of him thats a win at this point..i just need for someone to put the qb on the ground

2 hours ago, Beef said:

You’re off with your numbers. A restructure of both would add maybe $11m to cap hit in 2022 and $4m in 2023, over what they show as now, while lowering $15m this year.

With the estimated cap increase next year and beyond, we would easily be able to absorb that.

It’s a 1:1 offset. Minus $15m this year equals plus $15m split over the next 2 years.

The kicker is that AB has to dish out upfront cash and the dead money figure goes up for each year. But the cap hit is an even offset, which with as much as the cap is going up after this year shouldn’t be an issue.

Can you do my taxes next year??? :rolleyes:

25 minutes ago, RoddyWhite84 said:

tell me we couldnt contend this year fr 

Weirder things have happened.  I did not see our run coming in 2016.  No one did.  And if you told me last training camp that Tampa would have beaten the pants off the Chiefs in the Superbowl, I'd have called you crazy.  Right people, right team, right time, anything is possible.

3 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

Weirder things have happened.  I did not see our run coming in 2016.  No one did.  And if you told me last training camp that Tampa would have beaten the pants off the Chiefs in the Superbowl, I'd have called you crazy.  Right people, right team, right time, anything is possible.

yep just have to jell at the right time have a little bit of luck with the injuries..i cant to see how matt is going to look under AS like if AS made tannehill look like he has i cant wait till get gets a hold of matt