Justin Houston?

1 hour ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Cominsky is another unknown. He is at that point where its make or break. We saw some flashes maybe this is the year he puts it all together?

We have a lot of potential along the D-Line but only time will tell if they can play to that level.

Cominsky is a late bloomer.  But, like you said, this is it for him.  Athletically, he would complement Fowler.  Let's hope he has a break out.

1 hour ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

His glory days are gone, but he still had 19 sacks over the last two seasons.  On a 1 year prove it deal where he tries to prove it to another team for ne last "hurrah" contract. But he is 32 now and you gotta think declining is in his future. 

I think one of the benefits to a Houston signing is his knowledge. Yeah he can still make some plays, just not as many as 5 or 6 years ago. 

We have a ton of raw young guys looking to make their mark and having a vet like Houston in the meeting rooms and helping them with film study would be worth the contract. Most of them would have been watching him in his prime while they were in high school or starting college, so they know this is a guy that knows how to reach the mountain top they're trying to climb.

8 minutes ago, rcky_mtn_falcon said:

I think one of the benefits to a Houston signing is his knowledge. Yeah he can still make some plays, just not as many as 5 or 6 years ago. 

We have a ton of raw young guys looking to make their mark and having a vet like Houston in the meeting rooms and helping them with film study would be worth the contract. Most of them would have been watching him in his prime while they were in high school or starting college, so they know this is a guy that knows how to reach the mountain top they're trying to climb.

Houston across from Fowler is a win for Fowler.  Fowler needs that partner in crime to shake things up.

9 minutes ago, Xfactor said:

We have to restructure Grady to pay for our draft class. Is there enough left for Houston and Poole ?  The cap should be north of 200 in 2022 who knows what the cap wizards can do.

They are working angles we haven't taken into account.  What those are, who knows.  But, they want to win.  So, they can make it happen.  How, that's a mystery outside a Grady extension/restructure.  A Julio trade frees up money, but is unlikely unless someone throws serious collateral at us.  

Houston and Poole would require us to make a move now if both are willing to work cheap prove it deals we could probably bring them in just by cutting Keith Smith and Oliver.   Oliver's value drops with Poole coming in as he basically becomes a 2 mil dollar 4th corner and he would be competing with Sheff for that spot.  And Smith just doesn't really use FBs so him getting cut feels almost inevitable.  Then we still need to work a Grady extension to sign the draft class.

3 hours ago, FalconOdense said:
The #Faclons per source are looking at free agents Brian Poole, Steven Nelson, and Justin Houston. #NFL #NFLTalk

Doestn't this deserve a topic for it self? I really this it would be a nice vet move for our pass rush.

I think this would be a really good move. He is past his prime but still better than most of what we have. A vet presence can always help

24 minutes ago, #84 said:

Houston and Poole would require us to make a move now if both are willing to work cheap prove it deals we could probably bring them in just by cutting Keith Smith and Oliver.   Oliver's value drops with Poole coming in as he basically becomes a 2 mil dollar 4th corner and he would be competing with Sheff for that spot.  And Smith just doesn't really use FBs so him getting cut feels almost inevitable.  Then we still need to work a Grady extension to sign the draft class.

I expect Oliver, Ollison, Senat, Sheffield, and Keith Smith are all potential cuts/trade bait after 1 June depending on how the mini-camp goes. Maybe Gono also if they determine he isn't versatile enough to play LG, but I think he'll get it done. Each of those guys saves 700k+ to 2 million. I can see 3 of them gone. Hopefully we can trade Oliver for a 6th or 7th. The rest, probably not.

McCarron is showing on overthecap for just under 1 mill cap hit. That's not too bad.

3 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

Perfectly described.  Our Dline play could surprise.  I am cautiously optimistic about a higher level of play.  If we can get Fowler moving as well, we could be a competitive defense.

2 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I'm praying Fowler gets a fire lit under his ___ maybe Pees can make that happen?

WHat is Fowlers cap hit if he is moved or released post June 1.  I'm just curious.

1 hour ago, celtiksage said:

I expect Oliver, Ollison, Senat, Sheffield, and Keith Smith are all potential cuts/trade bait after 1 June depending on how the mini-camp goes. Maybe Gono also if they determine he isn't versatile enough to play LG, but I think he'll get it done. Each of those guys saves 700k+ to 2 million. I can see 3 of them gone. Hopefully we can trade Oliver for a 6th or 7th. The rest, probably not.

McCarron is showing on overthecap for just under 1 mill cap hit. That's not too bad.

Gotta agree with this.  These are the most likely cuts if it comes down to Brass Tacks.

7 minutes ago, Shaggy 2.0 said:

WHat is Fowlers cap hit if he is moved or released post June 1.  I'm just curious.

Dante Fowler is owed quite a large sum of money over the next two years. Jake examined his contract, noting the possible options and their financial ramifications.

2021 Pre June 1st Cut:                                                                  2022 Pre June 1st Cut:
  • Dead Cap: $15.3 million                                                                   Dead Cap: $4.7 million         
  • Savings: $3.3 million                                                                         Savings: $14 million
2021 Pre June 1st Trade:                                                              2022 Pre June 1st Trade:
  • Dead Cap: $4.7 million                                                                      Dead Cap: $4.7 million
  • Savings: $14 million                                                                           Savings: $15 million
2021 Post June 1st Cut:                                                                 2022 Post June 1st Cut:
  • Dead Cap: $10.7 million                                                                   Dead Cap: $4.7 million
  • Savings: $8 million                                                                             Savings: $15 million
2021 Post June 1st Trade:                                                             2022 Post June 1st Trade:
  • Dead Cap: $4.7 million                                                                     Dead Cap: $4.7 million
  • Savings: $14 million                                                                           Savings: $15 million

3 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

His glory days are gone, but he still had 19 sacks over the last two seasons.  On a 1 year prove it deal where he tries to prove it to another team for ne last "hurrah" contract. But he is 32 now and you gotta think declining is in his future. 

At one point dude was considered a once-in-a-generation pass rusher. 

I'm sure if we got work out of Freeney and Abe at 33+ we can get work out of him. 

1 minute ago, PokerSteve said:

I wish Oliver well. He could easily end up being a good player with another team, but I love the idea of a dawg like Poole being in Pees' D.

It's a win win.  Poole is fairly young, knows our team, and frankly is a demon in the slot.  Oliver has all the ability in the world, and like you said, will emerge somewhere.  

2 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

I wish Oliver well. He could easily end up being a good player with another team, but I love the idea of a dawg like Poole being in Pees' D.

Oliver is literally the same guy Poole was before he left in FA. People roasted him on these boards so am surprised to see people wanting him back.  I'm a fan of Oliver — mostly due to the fact he has improved each year (but still a long ways to go) — and think he will shine is Pee's attacking style defense. Other than the financial side of things, Sheffield was the most pedestrian player on our roster last year so he'd be the easy cut to me. Was last year a fluke for him or status quo?

I was looking at Daniel Jeremiah's top 100 FA list to see what pass rushers were still available and noticed Melvin Ingram and Oliver Vernon on the list. They would prob be much cheaper than Houston but clearly not on the same level as him. Might be a consolation signing if Houston signs with a team offering more $$$ than we have available. Anyone followed them lately?

2 minutes ago, Snozberies17 said:

Oliver is literally the same guy Poole was before he left in FA. People roasted him on these boards so am surprised to see people wanting him back.  I'm a fan of Oliver — mostly due to the fact he has improved each year (but still a long ways to go) — and think he will shine is Pee's attacking style defense. Other than the financial side of things, Sheffield was the most pedestrian player on our roster last year so he'd be the easy cut to me. Was last year a fluke for him or status quo?

Agree Oliver was better than Sheff. One would think he would be the guy on the banana peel, but you don't know what AS and TF are thinking just a few days after the draft. We'll find out soon, but I think Poole would be my choice over Oliver, just because of his physicality.

2 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

Cominsky is a late bloomer.  But, like you said, this is it for him.  Athletically, he would complement Fowler.  Let's hope he has a break out.

I agree about a late bloomer.  I think he has the tools to be good and hope the new coaching staff can help unlock them.   His style of play reminds me a bit of Patrick Kerney.. who also was a bit of a late bloomer.  I remember the majority of this message board wanted Kerney cut after his 2nd year because he only had 5 total sacks ... and then he blew up for 41 sacks over the following 4 seasons.  Not that I expect Cominsky to be that good (I don't) but I do think he has the skills to be a 6-8 sack a year guy in our rotation.  

2 hours ago, rcky_mtn_falcon said:

This^^  100% this.  Having a highly accomplished vet like Houston for our young guys to learn from would be invaluable.  Look no further than Freeney's influence on our pass rush in 2016.  

2 hours ago, Xfactor said:

We have to restructure Grady to pay for our draft class. Is there enough left for Houston and Poole ?  The cap should be north of 200 in 2022 who knows what the cap wizards can do.

I don't think we restructure Grady, I think we extend him.  That will do two good things..  lower his cap hit now.. and keep him here through the rest of  his prime years.   We NEED him to stay as a cornerstone on the D while we're rebuilding it.

4 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Agree Oliver was better than Sheff. One would think he would be the guy on the banana peel, but you don't know what AS and TF are thinking just a few days after the draft. We'll find out soon, but I think Poole would be my choice over Oliver, just because of his physicality.

With our abysmal safeties last year, AS and TF prob have no clue what to think HAHA! I'm soo excited to see this new secondary come together and potentially be a strength moving forward.