Javian Hawkins... Lots to like!

I personally think we would have taken Michael Carter had he not been gobbled up the pick before us on Day 3.   I was a Javonte fan but Carter was just as good, not as much as a brawler but quicker and probably more dynamic and similar to Hawkins running style but at 200lbs.   I like Hawkins tape but his size scares the crap out of me.

Huntley doesn't seem to have much wiggle but he runs strong through the hole and when dude gets to open field, he looks seriously fast.  Low expectations but high hopes.

17 hours ago, Falcanuck said:

Lol 40s honestly barely matter for RBs.

What do you mean. Speed determines if you can get to the edge. Very important in the zone running that Smith implements.

I prefer a home run hitter like Hawkins to a tackle breaker.  It's fickle. Tackle breaking doesn't always translate from college to the NFL due to the huge uptick in tackling by NFL defenders. 

Speed always translates. Esp acceleration which Hawkins has in spades.  He's not gonna carry the load but if you have a guy on 3rd down that is a threat to take it to the house on any carry it threatens the defense more. 

With all the receiving threats the Falcons have now, should never see a loaded box.  Hawkins in space is obviously dangerous. Helps that his oline coach is on the staff. He will already know where the holes will materialize allowing him to play faster.  

Micheal Carter was drafted in the 4th with a very similar style of running. Him and Hawkins are almost the same size, yet Hawkins tested faster which says something.  I think we got a steal in him but it's just IMHO.

5 hours ago, JDFIII said:

Runs like Turner. Big, stout and faster than most everybody on the field...

Love him too.  So we need to make a decision then.  Huntley can be Ollison maybe or will the club want to have a scat back guy to compliment the more stout guys?  Not sure.  So what is Ollison for?  The reason I like Javian is that he's the changeup/scatback guy imo.  I like Huntley don't get me wrong.  I just like to have that other dynamic as well.

I like both players, I was just responding to the huntley comments because I like to see a decisive guy who plants one foot and goes. One who always falls uphill. I love ridley but he gets cute after the catch and cute costs yards at times. Just plant a foot and run uphill. It does appear to me however that both hawkins and huntley have good vision.

22 hours ago, rcky_mtn_falcon said:

If we're ONLY comparing size between Hawkins and successful RB's. 

Barry Sanders was 5'8" and 203 lbs ran a 4.37

Warrick Dunn was 5'7" and 180 lbs ran a 4.28

Javian Hawkins is 5'8" and 193 lbs ran a 4.4

Yeah, I’m not caught up in all that.  He’s CB size & he’d be a change of pace back.  LOL, he’s not going to be our goal line or 4th & half yard to go back.  The vid I just posted shows a tremendous amount of feistiness & quite a bit of contact plays.  A very well utilized stiff arm also.  
I like guys who can play.  Sure big is good.  But I think the team is looking at football players right now.  I mean Brian Hill was 6’1” 219 and nothing but average.  
I’m open to some fresh blood at RB & thought a UDFA like him had some potential.  As a UDFA, it’s no sweat off our ***, & nowhere for him to go but up right now.  Great pickup.

1 hour ago, Williamb said:

I like both players, I was just responding to the huntley comments because I like to see a decisive guy who plants one foot and goes. One who always falls uphill. I love ridley but he gets cute after the catch and cute costs yards at times. Just plant a foot and run uphill. It does appear to me however that both hawkins and huntley have good vision.

I think that’s fair. I bet Crid is top 5 in total yards though. He also is a TD machine.  I don’t mind watching him try to break even a few more big ones and losing a couple while doing it as long as he’s already well down field past the 1st down marker.  He’s impressive to watch.  

2 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

I think that’s fair. I bet Crid is top 5 in total yards though. He also is a TD machine.  I don’t mind watching him try to break even a few more big ones and losing a couple while doing it as long as he’s already well down field past the 1st down marker.  He’s impressive to watch.  

I agree, get that 1st then make a play. I just want to see those chains move. That's why I emphasized the falling uphill part. No serious criticism of rid though, he's a beast!

On 5/4/2021 at 4:09 PM, Williamb said:

Really appears to have good vision. He was doing well against some really good schools.

Yeah when he sees the hole open up, he's through it and headed downfield. Very exciting runner.

Posted (edited)
On 5/4/2021 at 4:03 PM, OrthoPTSD said:

I agree on the Cohen comparison, but more so on the size. The list of players of Hawkins size being any type of NFL contributor starts and ends with Cohen and Darren Sproles. 

Any body think over someone else? Sylvestor Stamps maybe? (Talk about old school)

Dion Lewis....during Combine was Slightly under 5’7 and weighed 193

Edited by rodney3451

On 5/4/2021 at 8:59 PM, Knight of God said:

Same man. He looks like a bowling ball

He clocked a 4.77, but hes big and doesnt go down easily. Nearly 240lbs

He clocked a 4.77 after dropping 20 lbs. from his playing weight. He was listed at 229 and dropped to 210 for his pro day.

I am not going to write him off, but he appears to play faster than what he is because of his level of competition IMO.

On 5/5/2021 at 11:48 AM, gHost83 said:

What do you mean. Speed determines if you can get to the edge. Very important in the zone running that Smith implements.

the 40 time was added to help measure players for special teams coverage. Even though people treat it as the end all be all you never really run with the same conditions in a game.  

On 5/4/2021 at 4:03 PM, OrthoPTSD said:

I agree on the Cohen comparison, but more so on the size. The list of players of Hawkins size being any type of NFL contributor starts and ends with Cohen and Darren Sproles. 

Any body think over someone else? Sylvestor Stamps maybe? (Talk about old school)

Recent memory; Warrick Dunn, Danny Woodhead, Quizz, a handful of others...while only Dunn was a number 1 back, the whole notion of Bell Cow backs are fewer and far between and the years go on

On 5/4/2021 at 8:59 PM, Knight of God said:

Same man. He looks like a bowling ball

He clocked a 4.77, but hes big and doesnt go down easily. Nearly 240lbs

On 5/4/2021 at 9:28 PM, Falcanuck said:

Lol 40s honestly barely matter for RBs.

https://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=23522

This guy had similar numbers, but was actually smaller. I think that he did ok

6 hours ago, SPITFIRE said:

the 40 time was added to help measure players for special teams coverage. Even though people treat it as the end all be all you never really run with the same conditions in a game.  

So if you are talking about in game speed, Hawkins has it in droves.

On 5/5/2021 at 1:58 PM, gHost83 said:

I prefer a home run hitter like Hawkins to a tackle breaker.  It's fickle. Tackle breaking doesn't always translate from college to the NFL due to the huge uptick in tackling by NFL defenders. 

Speed always translates. Esp acceleration which Hawkins has in spades.  He's not gonna carry the load but if you have a guy on 3rd down that is a threat to take it to the house on any carry it threatens the defense more. 

With all the receiving threats the Falcons have now, should never see a loaded box.  Hawkins in space is obviously dangerous. Helps that his oline coach is on the staff. He will already know where the holes will materialize allowing him to play faster.  

Micheal Carter was drafted in the 4th with a very similar style of running. Him and Hawkins are almost the same size, yet Hawkins tested faster which says something.  I think we got a steal in him but it's just IMHO.

This is an excellent post.  The more I have been looking at Hawkins film, the more he is blowing me away!  Tons of juice, awesome feet in space & vision for seams.  When he sees it, his acceleration to it & through it is special.

I had a chance to study he & Huntley a lot more since I posted this topic.  Hawkins is 5X the RB that Huntley is.  Matter of fact, Hawkins is in a whole other dimension.  Huntley is nearly as slow as a lneman pushing a 4.8 forty.  Not just that but he is one dimensional & can basically run between the tackles & that's it.  No receiving skills, or ability to break away whatsoever.  He can cut & run with a smidge of shiftiness but he needs so much more in this league.  

Hawkins amazes me with his COD, explosion, vision, breakaway speed & ability to create plays when they aren't there.  

Just look at this 2019 freshman year tape closely & pay attention to the level of competition.  He wasn't playing Ball State.  he was playing against Notre Dame, FSU, Clemson, VA, BC etc... and making them all look silly.  And for those saying he's too little & cannot handle contact, BS.  His Yards after contact was 4.1 & the number of times he's being touched in in this video is quite impressive.  This guy has a good chance to be one of the 2021 best steals..

Take a couple minutes to watch...

23 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

This is an excellent post.  The more I have been looking at Hawkins film, the more he is blowing me away!  Tons of juice, awesome feet in space & vision for seams.  When he sees it, his acceleration to it & through it is special.

I had a chance to study he & Huntley a lot more since I posted this topic.  Hawkins is 5X the RB that Huntley is.  Matter of fact, Hawkins is in a whole other dimension.  Huntley is nearly as slow as a lneman pushing a 4.8 forty.  Not just that but he is one dimensional & can basically run between the tackles & that's it.  No receiving skills, or ability to break away whatsoever.  He can cut & run with a smidge of shiftiness but he needs so much more in this league.  

Hawkins amazes me with his COD, explosion, vision, breakaway speed & ability to create plays when they aren't there.  

Just look at this 2019 freshman year tape closely & pay attention to the level of competition.  He wasn't playing Ball State.  he was playing against Notre Dame, FSU, Clemson, VA, BC etc... and making them all look silly.  And for those saying he's too little & cannot handle contact, BS.  His Yards after contact was 4.1 & the number of times he's being touched in in this video is quite impressive.  This guy has a good chance to be one of the 2021 best steals..

Take a couple minutes to watch...

Thank you bro...