Jump to content

SI on Peas & our Dbacks...


Recommended Posts

I think Sports Illustrated's take is legit & insightful.  I mean Richie Grant alone was the best DB among his peers at the Sr Bowl & has been vastly underrated being from UCF

"On defense, there is a clear pivot toward the whims of new coordinator Dean Pees, which means aggressive corners and safeties who are always around the football. Darren Hall and Richie Grant are super aggressive and can come up to the line to make forceful tackles. If the downside is that sometimes they're caught out of position, sometimes that’s part of the chaotic beauty of Pees’s system"

Interesting analysis... What say y'all on this SI Falcon Draft commentary?

Richie Grant will upgrade the Falcons S position held for way too long by Ricardo Allen.  Allen was a leader but only an average player.  We don't need an Allen to show others what they're supposed to do man.  That is the epitome of what a pro isn't supposed to be.  If you need someone to tell you how to line up, then you don't need to play.  Accountability!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe we are still a few pieces away in the secondary, but I do have my fingers crossed that steady improvements will be made this coming year. I just don't see Pees coming in and working miracles with this group on defense. There were just too many holes. I am hoping for an average ranked defense, and a top 5 - 8 offense.  If we can do both of those, the boys should be a playoff team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

I think Sports Illustrated's take is legit & insightful.  I mean Richie Grant alone was the best DB among his peers at the Sr Bowl & has been vastly underrated being from UCF

"On defense, there is a clear pivot toward the whims of new coordinator Dean Pees, which means aggressive corners and safeties who are always around the football. Darren Hall and Richie Grant are super aggressive and can come up to the line to make forceful tackles. If the downside is that sometimes they're caught out of position, sometimes that’s part of the chaotic beauty of Pees’s system"

Interesting analysis... What say y'all on this SI Falcon Draft commentary?

Richie Grant will upgrade the Falcons S position held for way too long by Ricardo Allen.  Allen was a leader but only an average player.  We don't need an Allen to show others what they're supposed to do man.  That is the epitome of what a pro isn't supposed to be.  If you need someone to tell you how to line up, then you don't need to play.  Accountability!

 

My points exactly about Allen. 

I liked him and he gave us everything he had, but at the end of the day, he was just a bridge player until we got a better option. 

But some where along the way, Quinn forgot that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

which means aggressive corners and safeties who are always around the football.... If the downside is that sometimes they're caught out of position, sometimes that’s part of the chaotic beauty of Pees’s system

There's increasingly a school of thought that lockdown total defense is done in the NFL and the best you can hope for is a couple big plays per game on defense where you get a sack, fumble, or INT to flip the field or get an easy score to make the difference in winning. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

There's increasingly a school of thought that lockdown total defense is done in the NFL and the best you can hope for is a couple big plays per game on defense where you get a sack, fumble, or INT to flip the field or get an easy score to make the difference in winning. 

It's a new era & time for this D to stop being so predictable & easy to scheme against.  All defenses can bend & break & suffer by being too aggressive.  But I love the mentality of making QB's uncomfortable & attacking from all angles on the field.  The falcons for example, would rarely send a Corner on a barn burner blitz off the edge... or a S up the middle.  When we began sending our LBers, we found some nice success & saw that our LBers were quite good at it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

I believe we are still a few pieces away in the secondary, but I do have my fingers crossed that steady improvements will be made this coming year. I just don't see Pees coming in and working miracles with this group on defense. There were just too many holes. I am hoping for an average ranked defense, and a top 5 - 8 offense.  If we can do both of those, the boys should be a playoff team.

Average ranked defense would be a miracle. I think we're already better on the backend than a year ago.

I'm hoping for some talk of DROY from Grant and OROY from Pitts and second place in the division. That should get us a wild card.

With as many as 9-10 games versus teams with new QBs, rookie QBs or QBs in their 2nd year, I'm hoping Grant takes them to school. And Pees puts the beat down on these rookies.

We seem to fire it up under new coaches. Here's hoping that trend continues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ryanvalz said:

Ricardo Allen is the perfect example of DQ and TD style of players.  Small, soft, injury prone and has one good year if that.  

Now we're on to the TF, Dean Peas & AS example of accountability & aggressiveness & most of all... smarter execution, schemes & adjustments.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Still think we need another corner, even one of our vets from last year (don't know if they're both gone).

I like the idea of Grant at safety with a solid vet manning the other safety position.  That lets Grant be more of a playmaker.  Let the other guy line the D up.

Hall I have no idea on...he confuses me as a corner.  I don't think I see what they see.  He seems like a nickel/safety combo, so I'm curious what they're going to do with him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

My points exactly about Allen. 

I liked him and he gave us everything he had, but at the end of the day, he was just a bridge player until we got a better option. 

But some where along the way, Quinn forgot that.

That was a record holding LOOOOOONNNNNGGGGGG bridge. 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

I think Sports Illustrated's take is legit & insightful.  I mean Richie Grant alone was the best DB among his peers at the Sr Bowl & has been vastly underrated being from UCF

"On defense, there is a clear pivot toward the whims of new coordinator Dean Pees, which means aggressive corners and safeties who are always around the football. Darren Hall and Richie Grant are super aggressive and can come up to the line to make forceful tackles. If the downside is that sometimes they're caught out of position, sometimes that’s part of the chaotic beauty of Pees’s system"

Interesting analysis... What say y'all on this SI Falcon Draft commentary?

Richie Grant will upgrade the Falcons S position held for way too long by Ricardo Allen.  Allen was a leader but only an average player.  We don't need an Allen to show others what they're supposed to do man.  That is the epitome of what a pro isn't supposed to be.  If you need someone to tell you how to line up, then you don't need to play.  Accountability!

 

Nah you need a vocal guy in the secondary.  I don't care how good the talent is if they don't have a guy to line them up and call shifts they will get shredded.  Rico wasn't great but he was far better than Kazee and was solid enough till the injuries hit.  He never was a highlight guy but he was solid and protected us from the big play.  He deserves 1000% more respect than this board gives him.  Solid player gave us all he had way better than the scrubs we have run out at LBer between Brooking and Jones

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

love it. i'll take occasionally getting beat because your defense is aggressive and trying to make plays.

It reminds me of how I used to gripe about our not blitzing. I always subscribed to that Ravens mentality.

You might burn us for a long gainer here and there, but you better do it in about 3 seconds because we are sending guys from every possible direction. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...