Is OC rookie Drew Dalman really too small? Does he “really” need to add weight?

Skinny waist

lack of functional strength

gets walked back.

those were some of the weaknesses I have read.

Back in my day it was called being a light axx. 

Not saying he can't overcome these things, and in a ZBS it is less important, but really like it when the OL's backside can double for the screen in the projector room.

7 minutes ago, flrybranch said:

Skinny waist

lack of functional strength

gets walked back.

those were some of the weaknesses I have read.

Back in my day it was called being a light axx. 

Not saying he can't overcome these things, and in a ZBS it is less important, but really like it when the OL's backside can double for the screen in the projector room.

You like flat a$$ lineman!??? 

He’s the perfect size at center for a ZBS. He needs to get sideways quickly. Where ppl worry is in the pass game. But he should be ok there as well. He has leverage over big NT’s and will help against DT’s. Ppl use weight as a factor in so many things in football. Weight matters to a degree but nothing replaces heart. If a guy can play he can play. 

23 minutes ago, rcky_mtn_falcon said:

Eric McCoy 6'3" 303lbs Benched 225 29 times Hand Size 9.63"

He was another center who came in as a rookie and performed at a very high level

Yep I said the same to those stating be was small or too light on draft night. Nick Hardwick was another pro bowl center who a similar size. Perfect measurables for an NFL center. 

Some on here are just too obsessed with the fatty's. 

1 hour ago, gazoo said:

First of all, here in Atlanta we don’t run a power blocking running game. Our Outside zone OL needs to be quick and nimble over huge and powerful.  Technique is huge, we’ve seen Todd McClure thrive here as a 7th round draft pick being a technician at the OC position. He really wasn’t all that athletic either, he was just a perfect technician.

Drew Dalman is 6’3 3/8ths and 299lbs.  He’s plenty big enough for our outside zone blocking scheme. Our weight trainers can improve any functional strength needed in the area of holding his ground against power rushers if his technique is sound. (Which it is) don’t forget he played in a pro style offense and had the tutelage from a child of his pro football father who was on OC and OG with SF. He is also a student of the game, highly intelligent graduating from Stanford with a degree in mechanical engineering. This is high level intelligence.

One of the very best OCs in the NFL, a 4 time pro bowler and 3 time All Pro, Jason Kelce, was a 6th round draft pick by the Eagles and his rookie season only gave up 1 sack.  Jason is also 6’3 and 295lbs.  But man is this guy a technician. He has no issue holding his ground against DTs that have 30 pounds on him.  No OC is asked to block a NT one on one so the 340lb NTs always get doubled.

Here are some more of the betterNFL centers, their heights and weight:

Corey Linsey GB, 6’3” 301lbs

Austin Reiter KC, 6’3”, 300lbs starting OC Super Bowl winning team in 2019, allowed just 11 pressures on a league high 835 pass blocking snaps. 

Maurkice Pouncy Pittsburg Steelers, 6’4” 304lbs. Has only 5lbs on Dalman and is in a power run blocking scheme.

Mitch Morse with Buffalo Bills is just 305lbs. 

Did I miss anyone?  In any event, Dalman is plenty big enough and coming out of a pro style offense with excellent tutelage his entire life, being a precision technician he may not be anywhere near as far away from starting as it might seem.

if he can start dope i just think matt will be the one doing the line protections till dalman can

37 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Really? Because I read since he became a starter, he’s only given up 1 QB hit and no sacks. 

His strength was movement oriented.  His weakness was bullrush.

How big of a weakness it is is the question.  As you point out he didn't allow a lot of hits.  As others have pointed out, he got pushed back into the pocket a lot, while facing inferior competition.

I'm not saying he can't do it.  I literally don't know.  I'm saying if he can hold up to the bullrush, I'm confident in the rest.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

His strength was movement oriented.  His weakness was bullrush.

How big of a weakness it is is the question.  As you point out he didn't allow a lot of hits.  As others have pointed out, he got pushed back into the pocket a lot, while facing inferior competition.

I'm not saying he can't do it.  I literally don't know.  I'm saying if he can hold up to the bullrush, I'm confident in the rest.

Keeping defenses off balance will help him a lot. Let the system improve the player. After stressing over the wide zone run so much those DTs will slow there bull rush. They will be exhausted.  

I just hope smith is as smart as he seems. A lot is riding on it.

Edited by red falcon

McClure was consistently good but he was never great and sometimes he got overmatched.

Alex Mack was a godsend when he came to our team so we'll be taking a step back at the C position this year with him gone. Hopefully with the change in scheme and coaching our line will be better overall though.

Dalman definitely has room for improvement but I'm pretty confident he'll become a decent player for us whether it's this year or 2 years from now. I'll never knock someone for being undersized after I idiotically said that about Arron Donald when he was coming out. 

1 hour ago, RING OF HONOR said:

I've heard a few board folks say it....but no one in media.....

1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

Who said he was too small?

1 hour ago, gazoo said:

First of all, here in Atlanta we don’t run a power blocking running game. Our Outside zone OL needs to be quick and nimble over huge and powerful.  Technique is huge, we’ve seen Todd McClure thrive here as a 7th round draft pick being a technician at the OC position. He really wasn’t all that athletic either, he was just a perfect technician.

Drew Dalman is 6’3 3/8ths and 299lbs.  He’s plenty big enough for our outside zone blocking scheme. Our weight trainers can improve any functional strength needed in the area of holding his ground against power rushers if his technique is sound. (Which it is) don’t forget he played in a pro style offense and had the tutelage from a child of his pro football father who was on OC and OG with SF. He is also a student of the game, highly intelligent graduating from Stanford with a degree in mechanical engineering. This is high level intelligence.

One of the very best OCs in the NFL, a 4 time pro bowler and 3 time All Pro, Jason Kelce, was a 6th round draft pick by the Eagles and his rookie season only gave up 1 sack.  Jason is also 6’3 and 295lbs.  But man is this guy a technician. He has no issue holding his ground against DTs that have 30 pounds on him.  No OC is asked to block a NT one on one so the 340lb NTs always get doubled.

Here are some more of the betterNFL centers, their heights and weight:

Corey Linsey GB, 6’3” 301lbs

Austin Reiter KC, 6’3”, 300lbs starting OC Super Bowl winning team in 2019, allowed just 11 pressures on a league high 835 pass blocking snaps. 

Maurkice Pouncy Pittsburg Steelers, 6’4” 304lbs. Has only 5lbs on Dalman and is in a power run blocking scheme.

Mitch Morse with Buffalo Bills is just 305lbs. 

Did I miss anyone?  In any event, Dalman is plenty big enough and coming out of a pro style offense with excellent tutelage his entire life, being a precision technician he may not be anywhere near as far away from starting as it might seem.

All his scouting profiles say he's small. They don't necessarily say he's too small. They all say he struggles against bull rushers too. He just needs to get amped up in a pro level strength and conditioning program and he should be fine. An added 5 pounds wouldn't be detrimental, but I think his strength is the biggest concern at the moment. Give him the Preseason and if he can get that strength up to par, he might overtake Henny. Mid-season at least.

He's bigger than Mudduck and the other guy we signed to compete at center (Andrews?). I don't think it'll be a big issue, but eating an extra potato or two for dinner wouldn't hurt. 😁

23 minutes ago, FalconDiddly18 said:

McClure was consistently good but he was never great and sometimes he got overmatched.

Alex Mack was a godsend when he came to our team so we'll be taking a step back at the C position this year with him gone. Hopefully with the change in scheme and coaching our line will be better overall though.

Dalman definitely has room for improvement but I'm pretty confident he'll become a decent player for us whether it's this year or 2 years from now. I'll never knock someone for being undersized after I idiotically said that about Arron Donald when he was coming out. 

Actually, Mack had some horrible grades last year. He was not a strength more often than not. I think with better coaching, we'll see nothing worse from our new guys than we saw from Mack last year.

Gono was getting higher grades at OT than Mack was at OC.

1 hour ago, rcky_mtn_falcon said:

Let's compare his measurables against some of the better centers in the league currently.

Frank Ragnow 6'4" 312lbs Benched 225 26 times Hand size 9.38"

Eric McCoy 6'3" 303lbs Benched 225 29 times Hand Size 9.63"

Falcons:

Drew Dalman 6'3" 299 Benched 225 33 times Hand Size 10.5"

Matt Hennessy 6'4" 307lbs Benched 225 23 times Hand Size 10"

I hope some scouts were off their mark. He'll give Henny a run for his money I think. It would be nice if he's an upgrade. Same with Mayfield at LG or RT (he's played both sides in college)

I'm not worried about his weight.  I'm a little worried about his short arms, but if he has sound technique that is less of an issue, and every scouting report I've read on him says he has sound technique.  I don't expect him to be a world-beater at C.  But he can definitely be a solid o-line piece for a decade or more.  I expect him to win the starting job over Hennessy, but we'll see.

1 hour ago, Drunken Minotaur Zebra said:

Very rarely will you find an OL-size player who is all upper body. Their money is made with their legs.

The upper body strength is typically the weaker one... and a strong upper body means strong push-offs and chops. Maybe some pancakes. 

Yeah, that was the point I was trying to make. I wish that they would add a squat test for linemen to the combine in addition to bench reps.

2 hours ago, takeitdown said:

He could be 280 and work in our run game.

The only real question is anchoring against pass rushers.  And that comes down to hip mobility, functional strength, getting hands up quick, etc.

My big question is how can he hold up in pass pro, because that wasn't his strength in college.  If he can do that, I'm confident he can do the rest.

This the test is when a 330 plus pound lineman in a 34 plays over his pads.Or he goes head up with a Fletcher Cox and alike the issue will be there for him anchoring against quicker stronger more powerful guys he’s ever played against before.

Bradberry has similar issues coming out.Remember how Grady had his way with the rook.Dalmans technique needs to be right there if he is to succeed or else he’ll get bullied.

1 hour ago, celtiksage said:

Actually, Mack had some horrible grades last year. He was not a strength more often than not. I think with better coaching, we'll see nothing worse from our new guys than we saw from Mack last year.

Gono was getting higher grades at OT than Mack was at OC.

I've posted before that we seemed to run better between the tackles those last 2 games when Hennessy started. Ito Smith starting was probably a factor, also.

GO FALCONS!!!!