Is OC rookie Drew Dalman really too small? Does he “really” need to add weight?

First of all, here in Atlanta we don’t run a power blocking running game. Our Outside zone OL needs to be quick and nimble over huge and powerful.  Technique is huge, we’ve seen Todd McClure thrive here as a 7th round draft pick being a technician at the OC position. He really wasn’t all that athletic either, he was just a perfect technician.

Drew Dalman is 6’3 3/8ths and 299lbs.  He’s plenty big enough for our outside zone blocking scheme. Our weight trainers can improve any functional strength needed in the area of holding his ground against power rushers if his technique is sound. (Which it is) don’t forget he played in a pro style offense and had the tutelage from a child of his pro football father who was on OC and OG with SF. He is also a student of the game, highly intelligent graduating from Stanford with a degree in mechanical engineering. This is high level intelligence.

One of the very best OCs in the NFL, a 4 time pro bowler and 3 time All Pro, Jason Kelce, was a 6th round draft pick by the Eagles and his rookie season only gave up 1 sack.  Jason is also 6’3 and 295lbs.  But man is this guy a technician. He has no issue holding his ground against DTs that have 30 pounds on him.  No OC is asked to block a NT one on one so the 340lb NTs always get doubled.

Here are some more of the betterNFL centers, their heights and weight:

Corey Linsey GB, 6’3” 301lbs

Austin Reiter KC, 6’3”, 300lbs starting OC Super Bowl winning team in 2019, allowed just 11 pressures on a league high 835 pass blocking snaps. 

Maurkice Pouncy Pittsburg Steelers, 6’4” 304lbs. Has only 5lbs on Dalman and is in a power run blocking scheme.

Mitch Morse with Buffalo Bills is just 305lbs. 

Did I miss anyone?  In any event, Dalman is plenty big enough and coming out of a pro style offense with excellent tutelage his entire life, being a precision technician he may not be anywhere near as far away from starting as it might seem.

Excellent points.  Successfully playing the center position is about technique and being cerebral.  In our scheme guys need to be able to get out and block in space as well, which I think Dalman can handle.  I think it will be an interesting battle between him and Hennessy in training camp.  Maybe Henny moves outside to LG if he doesn't beat out Dalman. 

Weight without context is meaningless.   For example I am:

6'0 192 lbs

Hands 10.25

Arms 33 1/8th

Great size to play corner.

Problem?  I have a dad bod, doubt I can bench 225 for 1 rep anymore.   4 time probably over 5.0 40 right now and I'm over 40 years old.

Arguing about a 300 lbs man and 10 lbs is a joke without the details.  Leave it to the coaches guys.

Just now, marvinthemartian said:

I’ve read several places where people questioned his size as well. LOL hard to think of anybody at 6’3” and 300 lbs to be small

Only because it's the Falcons

12 minutes ago, direwolf said:

OP mentioned improving functional strength, which is the name of the game. An NFL strength program should get him where he needs to be and if his technique is sound, he'll be fine from a size standpoint.

Those 33 reps on the bench press should give him a pretty good head start!

GO FALCONS!!!!

He could be 280 and work in our run game.

The only real question is anchoring against pass rushers.  And that comes down to hip mobility, functional strength, getting hands up quick, etc.

My big question is how can he hold up in pass pro, because that wasn't his strength in college.  If he can do that, I'm confident he can do the rest.

2 minutes ago, MarkMc44 said:

Those 33 reps on the bench press should give him a pretty good head start!

GO FALCONS!!!!

Bench is nice, but anchoring involves a lot of lower body strength, too. 

Realistically, as far as I know he could be an absolute beast already and any speculation otherwise is rubbish. Either way, I trust our staff to get him where he needs to be.

1 minute ago, direwolf said:

Bench is nice, but anchoring against the run involves a lot of lower body strength, too. 

Realistically, as far as I know he could be an absolute beast already and any speculation otherwise is rubbish. Either way, I trust our staff to get him where he needs to be.

Very rarely will you find an OL-size player who is all upper body. Their money is made with their legs.

The upper body strength is typically the weaker one... and a strong upper body means strong push-offs and chops. Maybe some pancakes. 

2 minutes ago, direwolf said:

Bench is nice, but anchoring involves a lot of lower body strength, too. 

Yep, it's having the length and strength to get your hands in their pads (upper).

But it's having the glute and core strength to squat/engage and maintain balance.

24 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Who said he was too small?

As was mentioned by others you see comments from our FA base on the threads going around. But I also saw scouting reports and comments from media pundits from researching him that suggested he would need to add bulk to play at NFL level. He’s plenty big enough for what we do here, just increase functional strength in his lower body a bit which can be done before season starts and I believe he is more NFL ready than many think at this point. 

Some scouting reports said he needs to work on his anchor, so I think the primary concern is a bull rush in pass pro. He’ll need to do some squats and get a little help from the Gs early, but I think he should be fine (if he beats out Hennessy, who had very similar scouting reports last year and then played like trash but under less than ideal circumstances).

7 minutes ago, takeitdown said:.

My big question is how can he hold up in pass pro, because that wasn't his strength in college.  If he can do that, I'm confident he can do the rest.

Really? Because I read since he became a starter, he’s only given up 1 QB hit and no sacks. 

9 minutes ago, direwolf said:

OP mentioned improving functional strength, which is the name of the game. An NFL strength program should get him where he needs to be and if his technique is sound, he'll be fine from a size standpoint.

Let's compare his measurables against some of the better centers in the league currently.

Frank Ragnow 6'4" 312lbs Benched 225 26 times Hand size 9.38"

Eric McCoy 6'3" 303lbs Benched 225 29 times Hand Size 9.63"

Falcons:

Drew Dalman 6'3" 299 Benched 225 33 times Hand Size 10.5"

Matt Hennessy 6'4" 307lbs Benched 225 23 times Hand Size 10"