RB - Davis / Patterson

WR - Julio / Ridley / Gage / Darby

TE - Pitts / Hurst

LT - Matthews

LG - Mayfield

C - Dalman

RG - Lindstrom

RT - McGary

I think Mayfield and Dalman come in and surprise right away. We put up 30+ PPG this year, as well as Kyle Pitts getting robbed for OROY to one of the QB's. Julio stays for at least 2021 IMO. And AS has this offense soaring very high this season.

Defense has a lot of speed, but also will rely on speed, takeaways, and coaching to elevate the lack of talent in some areas. I am putting players in groups, due to us running multiple sets.

EDGE - Fowler Jr. / Means / Mingo / Ogundeji / Tuioti-Marinerl / Copeland

DL - Jarrett / Graham / Davison / Cominsky / Davidson / Bullard

ILB - Jones / Oluokun / Walker

CB - Terrell / Hall / Moreau / Sheffield / Oliver / Williams

S - Grant / Harmon / Harris / Green / Hawkins

My honest opinion is that 30 PPG is required to hit 9-8 this season. This defense is ugly on paper. A lot of young players that could change that though. As well as DeBo and Oluokun taking their games to a whole new level. As well as Terrell becoming a true #1. Walker is an X factor. Showed pass rush potential in college. Can he start at OLB in 4-3, AND 3-4 sets? I think so. 

Our offense will be fine, potentially very good if the o-line holds up. Main thing I’m worried about is the blocking and RB situation on that side. Defensively, it’s still pretty ugly like you said. Our d-line still looks terrible. Our corners are also still pretty bad, maybe even worse due to Dennard gone. Even with Terrell likely improving, our other corners still aren’t very good. Our safeties are solid but they’re not superstars by any means. We’ll have to see what Pees can do with this bunch. On paper this looks like a 6-8 win roster. 

7 minutes ago, Beast-N-Da-Sheetz said:

I'm still wondering where the pass rush is going to come from.

I was really expecting us to address it more in the draft than we did. We know there wasn't much wiggle room in free agency, but I guess that Pees values the secondary more or at least thought it needed more help.

But from what I've been reading about Pees, he's known for all sorts of crazy blitzes from all positions, so maybe that's where he's planning on getting pass rush from.

7 minutes ago, ATLskinjob said:

I was really expecting us to address it more in the draft than we did. We know there wasn't much wiggle room in free agency, but I guess that Pees values the secondary more or at least thought it needed more help.

But from what I've been reading about Pees, he's known for all sorts of crazy blitzes from all positions, so maybe that's where he's planning on getting pass rush from.

I hope so.

6 hours ago, celtiksage said:

I wouldn't be so quick to pencil in Mayfield and Dalman yet. And McGary hasn't been the ideal lineman. I think we have some growing still to do. 30ppg is pretty optimistic.

I also think Hennessy is going to be more competitive at center than people think. He's a smart player, a year in after learning from Mack and will have the benefit if a more traditional off season. 

Even if Dalman ends up the better player eventually, he's going to have his work cut out for him to pass Hennessy on the depth chart.

2 hours ago, Run 'n' Shoot said:

I also think Hennessy is going to be more competitive at center than people think. He's a smart player, a year in after learning from Mack and will have the benefit if a more traditional off season. 

Even if Dalman ends up the better player eventually, he's going to have his work cut out for him to pass Hennessy on the depth chart.

Totally agree. I think the competition will be strong though. I'm wondering if they'll give Mayfield a shot at beating McGary. I'd like to see it. Then everyone competes for LG.

Mayfield got in only a couple games in 2020, so it might take him a bit to get back in the swing of things (he was OLman of the week in his first game, so maybe he'll be a quick turn around). At least neither he nor Dalman opted out, so they got reps in 2020, unlike a lot of lineman in the draft.

I think they will both eventually be starters. That's a pretty young OL though. I wonder if we'll bring in a mentor type vet. Maybe that's Andrews although I don't think so. The OL battles will be something to watch.

If the OL is Henny, Dalman, Mayfield, Matthews and Lindstrom that's probably the youngest OL in the league.

13 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

Totally agree. I think the competition will be strong though. I'm wondering if they'll give Mayfield a shot at beating McGary. I'd like to see it. Then everyone competes for LG.

Mayfield got in only a couple games in 2020, so it might take him a bit to get back in the swing of things (he was OLman of the week in his first game, so maybe he'll be a quick turn around). At least neither he nor Dalman opted out, so they got reps in 2020, unlike a lot of lineman in the draft.

I think they will both eventually be starters. That's a pretty young OL though. I wonder if we'll bring in a mentor type vet. Maybe that's Andrews although I don't think so. The OL battles will be something to watch.

If the OL is Henny, Dalman, Mayfield, Matthews and Lindstrom that's probably the youngest OL in the league.

No one complain about how old we are!  I'm with you though, you have to think we bring in a couple of vets for camp if nothing else.  But, there will be a massive competition.  

9 hours ago, Beast-N-Da-Sheetz said:

I'm still wondering where the pass rush is going to come from.

Deion and Foye showed last year they can be effective in blitzing. Peas is known to send guys from all over the place. Expect to see a high sack season from Debo this year just like how the Bucs used Devin White (9 sacks). Fowler will get 10+ with Peas.

We won't light the world on fire when it comes to pressure but we will get 35-40 which is normally around middle of the pack.

Fowler 10+
Deion/Foye together 12+
Grady 5+
All others 8-13

Overall the O looks good. Any RB is better than last year. But in all reality Hurst and Pitts or Hurst-Pitts-RB threat on the line takes so much pressure off Ryan and Jones. Because if we really have legit hands and feet in the close range the Opposing D can’t send the blitz or double Jones as often. TE play therefore makes Jones better by virtue of being able to open up more often and makes Ryan better by giving more options and potentially taking less pressure. These little tweaks are going to show results. 

The D on edge and secondary may still be a little green this year. Maybe a little improvement, I believe. 

Don’t forget the 3 point machine if we need him!

I still say the real smack down is a year off but this year will definitely be a big improvement.  I can see deep run or even a Lombardi within 3.  I didn’t feel that optimistic last season.

2 hours ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Deion and Foye showed last year they can be effective in blitzing. Peas is known to send guys from all over the place. Expect to see a high sack season from Debo this year just like how the Bucs used Devin White (9 sacks). Fowler will get 10+ with Peas.

We won't light the world on fire when it comes to pressure but we will get 35-40 which is normally around middle of the pack.

Fowler 10+
Deion/Foye together 12+
Grady 5+
All others 8-13

I hope so. I still think we need another primary edge rusher. Hopefully a decent one becomes free before the season starts.

13 hours ago, celtiksage said:

I wouldn't be so quick to pencil in Mayfield and Dalman yet. And McGary hasn't been the ideal lineman. I think we have some growing still to do. 30ppg is pretty optimistic.

I think Mayfield is coming for McGary's job. Dalman is gonna compete at LG and C.

However I do see 30ppg as being achievable. 

30 ppg is a high bar - two teams from last year got to that range. League average last year was 24.3 (we were just north of that and ranked 16th despite all our issues). 27 ppg would have been top ten last year. I would think we'd be okay with 27 ppg on average if the defense can be even middle of the road (I think it'll take a season or two to start thinking about the defense being a strength assuming we have steady improvement at all). Remember that despite the horrible record, our point differential was very slight due to all the blown leads and late collapses.

1 hour ago, Beast-N-Da-Sheetz said:

I hope so. I still think we need another primary edge rusher. Hopefully a decent one becomes free before the season starts.

Agree but there are some available now like Houston, Vernon, and Ingram. Not studs but adequate in a package with Fowler

13 hours ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

last year our defense gave up 25.9 points per game and you gotta think that'll improve with pees running the show. i don't think we'll need 30 points to win games, 27 ppg would be one FG more per game (or red zone td), which i think is more realistic.

I expect redzone offense to be much more efficient this year. 

Two rookies in the middle of the line is a tough swallow. I'd bet that both those spots could be filled by vets at the start of the year, with the rooks being worked in depending on how they perform. 

Obviously, Pitts will start. Grant should be able to lock down a spot at safety. 

As for ppg, I can almost guarantee we won't average 30+. That's not because of a lack of ability, but because they intend to run the ball more and control the clock. That means longer drives and less scoring.

1 hour ago, Drunken Minotaur Zebra said:

I think Mayfield is coming for McGary's job. Dalman is gonna compete at LG and C.

If they do intend to replace Kaleb with Mayfield, then I'd expect they'll trade him prior to the season starting. Personally, I think they have to give all these guys a chance in the new blocking scheme before making any decisions. Dirk's offense didn't do any of them  any favors.

Outside of Matthews and Lindstrom, it could be a free for all in preseason.

14 hours ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

last year our defense gave up 25.9 points per game and you gotta think that'll improve with pees running the show. i don't think we'll need 30 points to win games, 27 ppg would be one FG more per game (or red zone td), which i think is more realistic.

We have to get that defensive scoring number down a lot. I'd hope that a combination of offense/defense scoring will amount to a TD swing overall. That would flip a ton of losses into wins for us. 

1 hour ago, Drunken Minotaur Zebra said:

I'm with you. A lot will depend on what position they have Gono battling for. For over 3mill he needs to win a spot. Bit I do think Mayfield will take someone's job, either LG or McGary's. He's played both sides of the line.

I can actually see Dalman taking center by mid year and at least 2022. They both need to get stronger and Dalman needs a few pounds.

As for points per game, if we can get around 27.5-28 ppg, that will put us in the top 8-10. I think that's manageable. Only 2 teams averaged 30 ppg this year and just barely, so I don't think that's achievable in AS' first year. That's asking way too much for a bunch of young OLmen barely out of diapers. 😅😅

14 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

If they do intend to replace Kaleb with Mayfield, then I'd expect they'll trade him prior to the season starting. Personally, I think they have to give all these guys a chance in the new blocking scheme before making any decisions. Dirk's offense didn't do any of them  any favors.

Outside of Matthews and Lindstrom, it could be a free for all in preseason.

I think so. Didn't AS say put your best 5 on the field? I think so. This will be fun to watch. With the lack of depth we have, I think they'll make the team, unless one of the UDFAs balls out and McGary sees the boot (cut or trade). I don't think McGary is good enough to get much on the market, but I think he'll start initially unless Mayfield shows more strength than his scouting profiles say he has. I think Gono will get a look at OG too, although that hasn't been his strength.

There are going to be some great battles on the OL outside of Matthews and Lindstrom. I think McGary, Henny and Gono have a slight edge, but only by slim margins, and maybe not for long. I could still see adding another vet as a slight upgrade on the interior at OG (protecting whoever wins the center spot). Maybe a one year guy.